Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Lady Shiva

Post by Jabroniville »

LADY SHIVA
Played By:
Tania Gunadi
Role: The Asian Friend, The Serious One
PL 8 (110)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Deception 2 (+2)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+7)

Advantages: 
Agile Feint, Equipment (Kunai- Blast 2), Evasion, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Hold, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 8, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Super-Parkour" Movement 1 (Safe Fall) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sword +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Kunai +10 (+2 Ranged Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Doing Good)
Responsibility (The Serious Type)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 10 (110)

-Lady Shiva doesn't appear much, but she's typically a very dour, serious type. One webisode features her and Harley Quinn on a "Group Assignment" to track the assassin Cheshire, only Harley's goofball antics are a distraction and a dead-giveaway to their location. Shiva is of course annoyed, and both girls have to avoid Cheshire's deadly claws. However, when Harley insists on a "Knock-Knock" joke, Shiva gives her one- "Knock, Knock" "Who's there?" " *spots Cheshire behind Harley* DUCK!!!"... followed by one-punching Cheshire square in the face (!!! WAAYYYYYYYYYY more violent that the other Mattel shows).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

Re: Jab's Builds! (Harley Quinn! Starfire! Batgirl!)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

One of the guys I play D&D with virtually sometimes has an 8 year old and she went as Harley Quinn for Halloween, with her costume based on this version. I had some fun with her aunt, who I work with, that week before when she was asking who Harley Quinn was as she is about as far from geek culture as you can get, and I horrified her with some cosplay of Margot Robbie's outfit. She was just livid that her brother and his wife would let her niece go out in something like that!

I should have let her keep thinking it longer than I did, but I came clean later in the day before I caused a family incident, but I found the whole thing hysterical. 8-)

I like the fact that DC is tailoring some shows from the younger audiences. I think this, and Justice League Action, will bring in the younger fans that that they'll need to keep things going, like they did when comics were more geared towards that demographic in the first place. My nephew LOVED the Marvel Superhero Squad show and now as a 12 year old, he's into "real" comics, so it can certainly be effective.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The older teen ritans show was my own introduction to the genre, so I'd certainly agree that it works.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Jabroniville

Star Sapphire

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

She either wears the comic-style outfit, or normal clothes.

STAR SAPPHIRE
Played By:
Jessica DiCicco
Role: The Little Princess
PL 8 (92)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 2 (+2)
Insight 2 (+2)
Perception 2 (+2)
Ranged Combat (Blasts) 4 (+8)

Advantages: 
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 1

Powers:
"Star Sapphire Ring" (Flaws: Removable) [41]
Create 8 (Extras: Movable) (24) -- (26)
  • AE: Blast 8 (16)
  • AE: "Enhanced Punch" Strength-Damage +3 (3)
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
Immunity 10 (Life Support - Starvation/Thirst) (9)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
-- (51 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Enhanced Punch +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Doing Good)- MAYBE.
Responsibility (Little Princess)- Star Sapphire is a bit of a Princess, dislikes getting dirty, and spends a lot of time whining.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 10 (92)

-Star Sapphire is a very "Background" kind of character, generally acting a bit fussy but now actually villainous, but gets a bit of focus in an episode where she has to go into- *ugh!*- the sewer ("It has 'ew' in its NAME!") to fetch her Purple Power Ring, and ends up fighting "Croc" (G-rated Killer Croc). Horrified at having to get so filthy, she nonetheless grabs it from the muck, gets her ring, and proceeds to give Croc the ass-whupping of a lifetime, kicking him with a boot, and finally just straight-up punching him out. Her powers are basically GL-Lite at this point, and she's not quite shown the variety of "Ring Slinger" powers, such as Immunities and Space Travel, but I included some of that anyway.
Jabroniville

Big Barda

Post by Jabroniville »

BIG BARDA
Played By:
Misty Lee
Role: Villain-Turned-Hero
PL 9 (109)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 2 (+2)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+4)

Advantages: 
Diehard, Great Endurance, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Mega-Rod), Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Mega-Rod" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Mega-Rod +6 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude +10, Will +6

Complications:
Prejudice (Apokoliptican)- Not a lot of people trust somebody who was once one of Granny Goodness's Female Furies.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 17 (109)

-Big Barda leads the invasion from Apokolips in the first SuperHero Girls movie, but ultimately chooses to stay on Earth and go to Super Hero High. She goes against Wonder Woman pretty well, so is very high-powered. In this case, I also like her simplified costume- Barda's in the comics has always bothered me by being so "busy".
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Big Barda, Mister Miracle, and just about all of the New Gods — except ironically Darkseid — have those extremely "busy" costumes that Jack Kirby gave to all of his "cosmic" characters... And only Kirby seemed to be capable of making work consistently. However, due to Kirby's position in the pantheon of comic creators (justly earned as it is), later generations of arts seem really reluctant to make any changes. This results in their classic costumes looking lame, because were so used to seeing them rendered poorly.

I mention Darkseid as being ironically simple earlier. Kirby basically always drew him as a large grey guy in a simple blue tunic and helmet... and today's artists often redesign him into increasingly elaborate get ups!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

As is often the case, Stjepan Sejic has a joke for the occasion:

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So that's it for the show for now- I'll probably Update it like the other Mattel shows in the future once I see more stuff (I just bought the Dark Opal-themed movie, but haven't watched it yet).

So Batgirl, which Mattel characters are the favourites of your young wards? From what I see at the stores, Frankie, Draculaura, Clawdeen and Raven Queen are the top sellers. Harley is probably the favorite of the Superheroes.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Thorpocalypse wrote:One of the guys I play D&D with virtually sometimes has an 8 year old and she went as Harley Quinn for Halloween, with her costume based on this version. I had some fun with her aunt, who I work with, that week before when she was asking who Harley Quinn was as she is about as far from geek culture as you can get, and I horrified her with some cosplay of Margot Robbie's outfit. She was just livid that her brother and his wife would let her niece go out in something like that!

I should have let her keep thinking it longer than I did, but I came clean later in the day before I caused a family incident, but I found the whole thing hysterical. 8-)

I like the fact that DC is tailoring some shows from the younger audiences. I think this, and Justice League Action, will bring in the younger fans that that they'll need to keep things going, like they did when comics were more geared towards that demographic in the first place. My nephew LOVED the Marvel Superhero Squad show and now as a 12 year old, he's into "real" comics, so it can certainly be effective.
Heh- pretty funny. Good job horrfying the parents, Thorp :). And I get the idea of the more kid-centric shows, too- making cartoons for adults is great for us... but training young kids to like superheroes is more important. Hell, my 30-year old sisters BOTH didn't know that Superman was an alien! That is just SHAMEFUL.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Tbf, his name is superman , not superalien ...
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Jabroniville

The X-Kids

Post by Jabroniville »

THE YOUNG X-STUDENTS:

-Next up, back to the Marvel Universe for a bit- a run through the X-Students!!

The X-Men has a long history of bringing in groups of teenage students as potential X-recruits- since mutant powers are a very strong metaphor for puberty, it's a natural fit. Not to mention the fact that "people doing stupid things" (a major theme of comics) goes SO WELL with teenagers with super-powers- I don't know a single person who doesn't think they were an idiot when they were teens. Pretty much every stupid thing a teen hero does in the comics can be explained away with "now WHY IN THE F*** DID THEY DO THA-- oh, right. Teenagers."

The initial X-Kids were the original X-Men of 1963- Scott, Warren, Hank, Bobby & Jean were all about Spider-Man's age, and were teens under the care of Professor X. They rapidly aged (Marvel writers seemed to want to get out of High School quickly- both Peter Parker and these kids were in college pretty quick, aging almost in real-time, despite appearing in only 12 issues a year), and the concept was pretty well dropped for "young adult adventures" until Jim Shooter decided that the "School For Gifted Youngsters" should be, you know, a SCHOOL again. Chris Claremont soon turned the idea into the New Mutants, who had a great run through the '80s before turning into X-Force in the 1990s. A few years after that came Generation-X, about the same general idea (new, young mutants in need of training), which had a bit of success and a bit of failure.

So it was only natural that in 2003, Marvel would try again: Once again, we would have a New Mutants, with a group of new kids created by Nunzio DeFillipis & Christian Weir, and drawn by Keron Grant. The book was... alright, though a bit controversial. See, I LOVE the idea of X-students. Forcing the X-Men to be teachers, and having all of these crazy teens running around having teenager problems made for a TON of great story ideas. "Super-Hero School" is one of my favorite kinds of under-explored things in the super-books (I've been unimpressed by many of the ones I've seen- usually because they focus too much on comedy). The book did it quite well in some respects- with Danielle Moonstar leading a new group of kids, often butting heads with Emma Frost and her "nasty" students. In fact, EVERY major X-character (save Wolverine) got their own personal team of students who reported to them- Northstar, Dani, Emma, Cyclops, Gambit, Iceman, etc.!

My main issue early-on was how good the kids got with their powers so quickly- The New Mutants struggled for AGES to perfect their abilities- even halfway through many of them had huge limits and were quite weak. Even the original X-Men struggled a bit. But these kids? They were basically pros within a couple issues- taking on regular super-villains and doing great with their abilities. Only a few people seemed to have ANY sort of struggle whatsoever with powers (usually the "Always On" powers kids like Wallflower & Wither)- this kind of defeats the purpose of a lot of the "School of Heroes" stuff.

It had some issues with characterization and activity from the original New Mutants- Wolfsbane was turned into a low-rise-jeans-wearing "Bad Girl" who made out with a student and dropped the accent, Magma was made comatose and then basically disappeared, and Dani was frequently made to look like a fool in front of Emma. Fans were PISSED at some of this, but random character changes are nothing new to comics, and most were soon dropped. The book soon turned to New X-Men (probably for name recognition and the X-label), and was going the same general way with "Rival Students" and all that stuff (Dani's New Mutants versus Emma's Hellions), but then a TON of awful stuff happened.

First off, M-Day happened, resulting in almost every mutant alive losing their powers- including more than half of the school's students. Then terrorists bombed a school bus full of de-powered kids, wiping out most of THAT group, PLUS a few reasonably-well-known characters from the book! Then Dani was fired (since she had no more powers, which really makes no sense since she was a TEACHER), more students were killed, and all sorts of further changes happened- thus creating one of the hugest, most-depressing wastes of characters ever, as even BACKGROUNDERS were wiped out for almost no reason other than "MOAR ANGST". The Young X-Men was a short-lived reboot that only lasted about a year (it was apparently quite bad), and then a NEW group of students were introduced with Generation Hope's "The Lights". Eventually, Wolverine led a new school of students in the high-quality Wolverine and the X-Men, which was both well-drawn and often poked fun at how weird and silly comic books are, while still actually being a serious book (my ideal kind of "Funny Hero Book"). Cyclops even had his own group of Young-Adult Mutants, dealing with his newer, militaristic outlook on life. A sadly short-lived Spider-Man & The X-Men book saw Spidey leading a small group of outcast students in a book that was basically "Spider-Man & X-Men Villain Team-Up" (Sauron & Stegron! Together at last!).

Currently, there's still batches of these kids around in various books, but most have gone through a TON of highs and lows, to the point where it's hard to make sense of most of it- once-important characters like Anole reduced to background filler while writers use their "new favorites"- the only continuously used character seems to be Idie (aka "Oya"), who's been a recurring character in THREE books over the past few years (GH, W&tXM and All-New X-Men), likely due to the fact that she's black and thus counts for "Minority Points" (most of the books scarcely use her powers, so it's not THOSE)- the rest seem doomed to that "Big character in one book; forgotten in the next" thing. This leads to odd situations where once-important, well-trained characters like Mercury, Rockslide & Graymalkin go from front-line fighters to basically being a colorful face in group shots.

From my Glossary:

Disposable Teenagers: The peculiar tendency of Comic Book Characters to have a much greater chance of dying horribly if they're young. You'd think that it'd be older characters dying to make way for new ones, but no- the Old Guard almost always gets to kick around, and it's the SIDEKICKS and teens who are disposable. This basically happens because said Teens are usually created by one guy, never get the MAJOR push to the next level (because the Old Guard are still around), then forgotten once NEW Teens show up, and thus they're seen as acceptable C-List Fodder for the next big event or villain.

This is best shown on the various comic book Teen Teams. The Teen Titans are now almost as famous for DYING as for the awesome Wolfman/Perez arc from the '80s, mostly because of the "crap years" in the early-90s when writers just kept ADDING to them. This gave them a TON of Filler, and thus people were often killed in droves, especially with "Spring Cleaning", better known as "Infinite Crisis", where Superboy-Prime killed three of them in a single page, then crippled nobody character Risk. The later McKeever run on the book was just as bad, as he often intro'd characters, only to off them later on.

Marvel's New Mutants are just as bad, as the characters were either killed or easily-replaced & forgotten. Doug Ramsey & Warlock were killed over the course of the series, as times changed. Magma was ruined by having her life be a lie (Nova Roma was no longer a Roman Colony, but a trick by Selene), and she vanished for a decade. Karma, disposable even to Claremont, vanished again. Moonstar became "evil" and vanished, too. Magik was de-aged, THEN killed. And don't get me started on the freaking HELLIONS, who were wiped out in a single issue, mostly off-panel. Rob Liefeld took over the book, and MANY characters disappeared.

Also check the poor New Warriors, who were easily-disposable by Civil War, offing Night Thrasher, Namorita & Microbe, and turning Speedball into Penance. Other characters also died over the years, because the book meant little in the grand scheme of things.
Jabroniville

Template

Post by Jabroniville »

GENERIC X-STUDENT TEMPLATE
Created By:
Various
First Appearance: Various
Group Affiliations: X-Students
Role: xxxxxxx
PL 3 (24)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+2)
Deception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Equipment (X-Student Uniform- Communications, Protection +1), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: xxxxxxxx"

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +1, Fortitude +1, Will +2

Complications:
xxxxxxxx

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (24)

Other Various X-Students:

AERO (Melody Guthrie)
AMBER- Her base form was a small, reptilian one. She was a shapeshifter.
AUDIO (Raymond Keyes)- Wide-frequency hearing.
---
BECKY PATRIKSEN- Flight-related.
BOGGART (Robert Wise)- Super-Strength.
BUTTERFLY (Lucy Priest)- Insect wings.
---
CAPUT (Abraham Verne)- Living energy- animating skeleton.
CARTER GHAZIKHANIAN- Telepathy & Telekinesis- his mom was Annie, the love interest of Havok during Chuck Austen's much-maligned run on the book- both left when he did, as they were felt to be Mary Sue characters (and Austen used Annie as his wife to Havok- his own self-insert).
CARTER SPENCER- Unknown.
CEPHALOPOD (Molly Stanwick)- Tentacled lower half.
CHOIR (Irina Clayton)- Had several extra mouths on her neck, and could project her voice.
COLLIDER (Jim Louis Pringle)- Alchemical transmutator. Used powers to accumulate wealth, which he then lost after M-Day.
CONTACT (Frida Rivera)- Psychometry.
CRATER (Erik Hallgrimsson)- Durability.
CRYPTID (Andy Hartnell)- Cryptid appearance.
CUDGEL (Liam Bremner)- Arms turn into metallic mallets.
---
DEVON AMBROSE- Unknown
ELEANOR SANDFORD- Spotted skin.
ELF (Natalie Wood)- Solid-photon objects.
ELL (Eleanor Sanford)- Unknown
ELSEWHERE (Jaime Vanderwall)- Teleportation.
EOSIMIAS (Hong Lianje)- Tiger appearance
EVE SETTER- Unknown.
---
FLOOD (Eugene Walker)- Hydrokinesis.
FOREARM II (Marcus Tucker)- Very long arms.
---
GELATIN (Carlo Brewster)- Gelatin form.
---
HITCH-HIKER (Connor Laughlin)- Psionic Posession- he also had an immunodeficiency (ie. Boy in a Bubble).
HOTHEAD (Germaine Caruso)- Flame powers- killed during a riot at Salem Center.
HYDRO (Noah Crichton)- Probably swimming related- he died of drowning after M-Day.
---
IMP (Anders Nobel)- Horned appearance.
IOLANTHE (Katie Atkinson)- Fairy wings.
---
JANE HOLTEN- Unknown.
JEB GUTHRIE- Shoot beams of "electric fire" from his eyes.
JENNA JOAN- Unknown.
JOSETTE FRANCKS- Unknown.
JULIE LYONS- Flight-related.
---
KATO ANISHIWA- Imperial Guardsman posing as a student.
KERATIN (Dave Finn)- Clawed fingers.
KOREN JERROD- Unknown.
---
LIPID (Anne Moore)- Creates liquid.
LONGNECK (William Hanover)- A longer than normal neck.
---
MARIA JENNIFER D'ACANTO- Human who joined the Institute after her family died.
MELISSA LA ROUX- Unknown.
MENTAT (Robert Zepheniah)- Telepath.
---
NAIAD (Aurelie Sabayon)
NANCY OWELS- Flight-related.
---
OVERLAY (Zach Halliwell)- Could merge aspects of one animal onto another.
---
PAKO (Cirlio Crisologo)- Plant body.
PINOCCHIO (Frank Ludlum)- Wooden form.
PINPOINT (Gerard Cooper)- Extended Vision.
POLYMER (Dana Holmes)- Telepath, sprays viscous liquid.
PROTOZOA (Linus Sinker)- Amorphous Blob.
---
RUTH DURIE- Small tail.
---
SAURUS (Jorge Lukas)- Reptilian form.
SETH WALKER- Human student with Magical powers.
SKYLARK (Greg Carlson)- Arms turn into wings.
SKYWALKER- Flight-related.
SPENCER BRONSON- Three-eyed and could use Mind Control.
SPIKE (Gary Walsh)- Spikes on his skin.
SPIRIT (Jacob Pace)- Air-Transformation Powers progressed out of control until he vanished- he spent his last few hours watching the sunrise with Kitty Pryde.
SQUID BOY (Samuel Pare)- Aquatic. Sammy got by FAR the most characterization out of this group, being one of the few things about Chuck Austen's run that people liked.
STALWART (Adewale Ekoku)- Unknown.
SUSAN BEFERGY- Unknown.
---
TITO BOHUSK- The only child of Beak & Angel to retain his powers after M-Day.
TOMMY WALTERS- Unknown.
TROVAO (Pedro de Noli)- Vibration Wave/Sonic Booms.
---
UMBRA (Patrick Nesbitt)- Shadow Control.
UPDRAFT (Johan Schumann)- Flight.
---
VIEW (Winston Frankowski)- UV & Infrared Vision.
VISKID (Adrain DeFoe)- Sticky liquid form.
---
WALTER LAMBERT- A baseline human- wheelchair-bound.
---
XENON (Shaun Kennedy)- Light control.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Anole

Post by Jabroniville »

ANOLE (Viktor Borkowski)
Created By:
Nunzio DeFilippis, Christina Weir & Carlo Barberi
First Appearance: New Mutants #2 (Aug. 2003)
Group Affiliations: X-Students, Young X-Men
Role: Backgrounder-Turned-Recurring Character, The Gay Kid, Reptilian Hero
PL 8 (104)
STRENGTH
3/5 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 4 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+9)
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+3)
Perception 3 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment (X-Student Uniform- Communications, Protection +1), Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Reptilian Physiology"
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling 2) [4]
"Carapace" Protection 2 [2]
Concealment 2 (Visual Senses) (Flaws: Limited to Blending) [2]

Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Danger Sense) [2]
"Tremorsense" Senses 4 (Ranged Touch- Acute & Accurate) [4]

"Prehensile Tongue" 
Extra Limb 1 [1]
Elongation 2 (Flaws: Limited to Tongue) [1]

Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrowth) [5]

"Regrown Carapaced Arm"
Enhanced Strength 2 (Flaws: Limited to Right Arm) [2]
"Giant Fist & Claws" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Regrown Arm +9 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Mutant)- Anole is clearly reptilian.
Prejudice (Gay)
Responsibility (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder)- Unlike most mutants, Anole actually gets freaked out by the various attempted murders and demon-eatings he's been subjected to.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 12 (104)

-Anole had come out of nowhere as a really minor background character in the initial New Mutants series in the early-2000s, showing up as basically a "Recognizable Background Guy". Initially designed to commit suicide after being rejected by his friends (upon coming out as gay), causing Elixir (who was previously established as an anti-mutant bigot) to reform, the writers (after having the thing kiboshed by Marvel management) decided in the end to avert controversy and simply kept the kid around, having him come out on his own later. His understated homosexuality, along with his cool power-set, unique visual, and down-to-earth personality have made him a fan-favourite, and he eventually got "upgraded" to the Young X-Men main team, though has pretty much been ignored recently, along with most of the characters of his generation. He's just a "background guy" in 99% of his comic book appearances these days, popping up as wallpaper in various X-books.

-Anole is a little difficult for me to build, since I haven't read any of his appearances when he showcased his powers (I only have that initial New Mutants & New X-Men: Academy-X run where he's a background kid), but this seems right- he's PL 7.5 on offense & defense because of his enhanced agility, with a single arm that can do stronger attacks (he's understandably uninterested in cutting off all his other limbs to grow a giant spikey body- no telling what'll happen to his torso & head if THEY'RE chopped off)- he's pretty much a low-end Scrapper-type brawling character. Otherwise, he's got a whole assortment of "Reptilian Guy" powers, most of which are on the cheap, but quite cool. 
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Basilisk & Bling!

Post by Jabroniville »

BASILISK II (Mike Columbus)
Created By:
Grant Morrison & Frank Quitely
First Appearance: New X-Men #135 (Feb. 2003)
Role: Sacrificial Buddy
PL 10 (52)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+2)
Deception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Equipment (X-Student Uniform- Communications, Protection +1), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Strobe-Light Effect"
Affliction 10 (Will; Dazed & Hindered/Stunned & Immobile/Paralyzed) (Extras: Extra Condition, Area- Visual Perception Area) [30]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +0

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Mutant)- Basilisk looks like a hairless freak.
Disabled (Brain Seizures)- Basilisk will have terrible brain seizures without the cybernetic device implanted in his brain.

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 4 (52)

-Basilisk (no relation to the Jobber Villain of the same name) is another of the Quitely "creepy" mutant students, being a big dumb idiot with a vile sense of humor and a dangerous Strobe-Light power. He made some crude jokes, then got accidentally killed when he joined Magneto's new Brotherhood, and that was it for him.

-He's a bit bigger & tougher than your usual X-Student, and he's actually PL 10 (rare for this lot) thanks to a powerful Paralyzing Strobe effect (the "Perception Area" Extra takes care of the Sense-Dependent part), which makes him among the more one-note bad guys to exist.

BLING! (Roxanne "Roxy" Washington)
Created By:
Peter Milligan & Salvador Larocca
First Appearance: X-Men #171 (Aug. 2005)
Role: Ugly Hero, Powerhouse
PL 7 (91)
STRENGTH
1/8 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+4)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 5 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Perception 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Equipment (X-Student Uniform- Communications, Protection +1), Fast Grab, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Diamond Form"
Alternate Form (Drawbacks: Action) [-1]
Enhanced Strength 7 [14]
Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 5) [9]
Features 1: Increased Mass [1]

"Shrapnel" Blast 6 (Feats: Accurate 2) (Extras: Multiattack) [19]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Diamond Punch +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Shrapnel +7 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2 (+6 Diamond Form), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Prejudice (Lesbian or Bisexual)

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 8 (91)

-Bling! is, of course, the daughter of two hip-hop stars, who's got a standard "Rock Build" going, plus some shrapnel. Not much is known about her otherwise, but she's actually one of the currently-powered mutant teens still active- she just doesn't get to do much. Oh, and she apparently leans in the direction of "wanting to hump Rogue". And yes, her name is always spelled that way.

-Bling! is a pretty well-balanced PL 7, making her a VERY low-end Brick who really couldn't take out anyone that was any good at their job, but hey, it's something, and it makes her tougher than 2/3 of the Mutant Teens out there. There's considerable places a character with this power-set could go, as well-- more powerful Blasts, higher Strength, Earth Control, etc. Alas, her lack of use means that she's not even worthy to join a PL 8 squad of Starter Heroes.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote:So Batgirl, which Mattel characters are the favourites of your young wards? From what I see at the stores, Frankie, Draculaura, Clawdeen and Raven Queen are the top sellers. Harley is probably the favorite of the Superheroes.
Well, we haven't actually gotten to watch the show yet. Hence my question earlier about where to find it.

I bought the "basic" dolls of the power trio: Wonder Woman, Supergirl, and Batgirl, as gifts for the youngest Young Ward. She's been playing with them almost non-stop since Christmakkuh Morning. Supergirl seems to be her favorite.

The elder Young Ward is officially too cool to play with dolls — ten going on seventeen — but loves superhero cartoons like Teen Titans and Young Justice. She seems to be pretty keen on Batgirl as depicted in YJ and The Batman. (Although that might be an attempt to placate me.) She's also really fond of Captain America and Iron-Man... and she really wanted a Black Widow costume for Halloween for most of the year. (She does this thing where she gets a costume idea the day after Halloween, spends 11 months fixated on it, then changes her mind 180° on October 25th. Every year.)

I'm just happy to be living in a time where my kids have a virtual glut of superheroes and superheroines in mass media to choose from. At their age, I pretty much had re-runs of Yvonne Craig's Batgirl and re-runs of Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman... or She-Ra.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.