Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Shock

Re: Turbo (Mickey Musashi)

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:09 pm Image
I think this one is a good look. If some writer wanted to renew a character, I think this would be a good place to start.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Nova- Rider & Sam! The Sphinx! Folding Circle!)

Post by Ares »

Oddly enough, I think that the later re-designs of the Turbo armor come off as "trying too hard", as it added a lot of unnecessary wires, belts and shoulder pads that served no real purpose save to be cosmetic. I do think a darker color scheme worked better, but maybe a deep navy blue instead of the bright blue. The collapsible turbine fans on the wrist and leg armor was honestly the most interesting and unique aspect of the suit, and getting rid of them for more generic thruster type boots and gloves just didn't have as fun a look. The suit could have benefited from some tweaking to the look, possibly getting a Dire Wraith/Space Knight upgrade, but the original look was better than the re-designs.

The Turbo concept itself was pretty interesting, and a nice update of the old Torpedo name (which never made sense for a guy who didn't go underwater) who I actually remember from the old Rom comic. The New Warriors had an almost Greunwald-like knack for taking unused concepts and breathing new life into them, which I definitely appreciate. While believe in adding more toys to the toy box, sometimes it's good to dig through the bottom and find a toy with some history, give it a polish, and see what can be done with it. Turbo basically took an unused concept and created an entirely new hero from it.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

She was also definitely a bit of fan-service, and clearly a bit of a geek dream. I mean, THAT'S the best friend of the nerdy comic fan in the 90s? Damn.

Personally I think the head-piece would look better if the "fins" weren't so huge. The image below looks better with the fins cut off at that point.

They do need something to break up the design, either something on the chest, or maybe turn the body suit into a blue stripe up the center with some Colossus style metal banding going up the sides. I might try tweaking the look a bit.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

This one was my favorite too it was clean and had the great tech edge to it.

Funny enough this was one of the designs I was considering for Vindicator when I was building her in tmans Force Ops game
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
HalloweenJack

Re: Pretty Persuasions

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:44 am

-Stripper culture is actually a pretty fun thing to look into if you're in the mood (I know that perversion and comics TOTALLY DON'T GO TOGETHER AT ALL, so you probably won't be :)). As people who provide a necessary service (as Chris Rock mentioned, men kinda NEED strippers to an extent, though if "your daughter's a stripper- YOU ****ED UP!"), they lead rather interesting lives. Didja know that it's considered a bad idea to work in a club close to where you live (Mimi in the musical Rent TOTALLY fails this one- she's an S&M dancer who lives in a crap apartment AROUND THE CORNER from her place of business)? Or that a huge proportion of strippers are lesbians (because really, who's seen more men at their worst than a STRIPPER)? Oh, and in Edmonton, pretty much every strip club in town is owned by the Hells Angels (sex shops, too), so you can find any sort of scum there. Or Horsenhero :).
That sounds pretty accurate. I had a friends with benefits relationship with a stripper back in 07 and she and another mutual friend (we all went to high school together and the latter one here I've known since 3rd grade) worked a good 40 miles away from home just to avoid most of the people they knew.

Likewise, yeah there's ALOOOOOT of lesbian or bisexual strippers. The latter girl I mentioned up there (stage name Anna Nicole cause she was a six foot blonde) was openly bisexual and the former (stage name Mystique because of her Meg Foster cat eyes) mentioned that she got hit on pretty often by the other dancers, one in particularly propositioning her the most, with her politely declining cause she was strickly dickly.....but she did do her hair.

Yeah, there's a lot of strippers who are also hair dressers too.
Jabroniville

Turbo (Mike Jeffries)

Post by Jabroniville »

TURBO II (Mike Jeffries)
Created By:
Evan Skolnick, Dwight Coye & James Brock
First Appearance: The New Warriors #33 (March 1993)
Role: Powersuit Hero
Group Affiliations: The New Warriors
PL 8 (100)
STRENGTH
0/8 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Aerobatics 4 (+5)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+6)
Deception 1 (+2)
Insight 2 (+2)
Perception 2 (+2)
Ranged Combat (Turbo Punch) 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Evasion, Ranged Attack 3, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Turbo Suit" (Flaws: Removable) (Feats: Powers Restricted Based on Unique Physiologies) [57]
Flight 10 (2,000 mph) (20)
Immunity 6 (Friction, Radiation Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (3)
Senses 2 (Counters Illusion) (Flaws: Limited to Dire Wraiths) (1)
Protection 5 (5)
Enhanced Strength 8 (16)
Power-Lifting 1 (12 tons) (1)
Enhanced Feats: Improved Initiative (1)
Enhanced Dodge 3 (3)
Enhanced Parry 2 (2)

"Turbo Punch" Blast 8 (16) -- (18)
  • AE: "High-Speed Air" Affliction 8 (Dodge; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited Degree) (8)
  • AE: "High-Speed Air" Affliction 8 (Dodge; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited Degree) (8)
[/list]
-- (70 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Turbo Strength +6 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Turbo Punch +6 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
High-Speed Air +6 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
High-Speed Air Wave +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +1 (+5 Turbo Suit)

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (+10 Suit, DC 20), Parry +8 (+10 Suit, DC 20), Toughness +1 (+6 Turbo Suit), Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Heroism)- Mike idolizes super-heroes, and really wants to be one.

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 57 / Defenses: 16 (100)

-Mike Jeffries was related to the late hero Torpedo, and ended up getting his gear, not realizing what it was. When he realized what the "Turbo" suit did for his friend Mickey, he declared that the two should "share" it- an Idol-Worshipper who loved the idea of being a super-hero, Mike was kind of a stand-in for comics fans, albeit a more realistic, possibly cynical version. Like, you WANT that life, but you shouldn't really HAVE IT, you know? Mike, for all his eagerness, was just not a natural with the suit, nor was he that heroic. During a story arc where the New Warriors had to team up with Spider-Man, The Thing & Doctor Strange to combat a Darkforce encroachment into Manhattan, he kind of acted like a tool, being foolhardy and over-eager. He seemed to dislike it that Mickey got the Warriors job over him, and was relegated to a side-character.

-Ultimately, Mike was killed- a Dire Wraith Queen named Vox killed him and took over his body (standard-issue Wraith stuff), acting as him in the suit in an attempt to de-power Earth's superhuman population. Eventually, Vox was killed by Night Thrasher, and Mike never returned.

-I figure Mike (who shared the suit with Mickey- and yeah, I hate the fact that they both have similar names- makes it very annoying to read their bio) for a weaker version of Mickey, not having used the suit as much, and not having her level of experience. He's basically a PL 7 character with PL 8 Defenses and a PL 8 Area Affliction attack (and even then, he can only knock people over), making him REALLY easy to kill compared to some. He was slain by a Dire Wraith Queen, who was then killed by Night Thrasher.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Hindsight Lad

Post by Jabroniville »

HINDSIGHT LAD (Carlton LaFroyge)
Created By:
Fabian Nicieza & Darick Robertson
First Appearance: The New Warriors Annual #3 (1993)
Role: Joke Character
PL 2 (47)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 6 (+6)
Expertise (Computers) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Tactics) 8 (+10) -- Flaws: Limited to Things That Already Happened
Expertise (Super-Heroes) 6 (+9)
Insight 2 (+3)
Perception 4 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Equipment, Ranged Attack 5

Equipment:
"Bicycle Helmet With Rearview Mirrors Taped On"
Senses 1 (Radius Sight) (1)
Protection 1 (1)

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+1 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +1 (+2 Helmet), Fortitude +3, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Wannabe Hero)- Hindsight Lad just really wants to be on a super-hero team, even though he has no real powers.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (47)

-Hindsight Lad (a parody on the Legion of Super-Heroes' naming conventions) was a goofy, nerdy kid who tried to blackmail his way onto the Warriors after discovering Speedball's secret identity. Despite this questionable recruitment method, and his RIDICULOUS costume (consisting of a homemade outfit with a car's side-mirrors attached to a football helmet), he was allowed to join the team when he got Night Thrasher to free the Warriors from the Prison Memories street gang, who'd abducted them. My only sighting of him as a character was during an issue or two where he was a filler background guy- his very image doesn't speak highly of the book, to be sure. He stuck around for a bit, and wasn't ENTIRELY useless, sorta playing the "Doug Ramsey" role- he helped the Warriors in a contest against The Sphinx that crossed time & space, for example, because he realized what was going on. He even got to join the team as a full member as a result, recruited by Thrash and changing his name to "Hindsight" and getting a better costume. However, the book is quickly cancelled, and he never reappears on another Warriors squad.

-When a group of New Warriors were killed in Stamford, Hindsight became one of their most virulent detractors all of a sudden, appearing in his real name and starts a website called DestroyAllWarriors.com, posting both the Warriors' civilian identities but inciting violence against all past & present members. This was in She-Hulk's book, and she helped a group of ex-Warriors shut down the website, and Lafroyge is arrested by John Jameson, who was at this point a law-guy who arrested rogue supers.

-Hindsight is a pretty ordinary person, an incapable fighter, and more, but is a tad clever. He's played by the guy at the table who "roleplays well" and has good ideas, in short. The "Sokka", kind of.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Firestar! Speedball! Rage! Namorita! Nova!)

Post by Jabroniville »

M4C8 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:09 pm I always liked Nova and came to love him as of Annihilation, he's one of those powerful Marvel heroes that I feel should get more respect, also the friendship between Nova and Quasar (Vaughn), another powerful yet underused character, was great. I even liked that Nova and Gamora were a couple so was a bit annoyed that she and Star-Lord recently declared their love for each other in the GOTG book.

I've also always liked Speedball, I can't pinpoint a specifc reason why though, his powers are original at least.

As for Rage, well I dislike his look and while his ultra 90's costume is just that 'ultra 90's', I still prefer it to the silly tight leather and yellow ski mask. His power level is difficult to pin down, for years he was shown to be quite powerful with bio's stating he had class 85 strength at his basline but could reach the equivalent of 100 tons when used in a violent or agressive manner (which basically mean't he could lift up to 85 tons but could strike at the higher levels), he also had high level durability, enhanced speed (in short bursts like the Rhino) and a faster tha normal healing ability. His most recent appearances however were turly dissapointing, he got his ass kicked by a buch of rent a cops in what seemed like pretty low level power armour.

Rage is interesting (to me anyway) in that he's one of the characters that exemplifies much of what I dislike about how modern Marvel changed in it's writing of established heroes, especially since the whole 'reboot' (which honestly to me felt like completely unnecssary and seemed to exist solely to give a reason to bring Miles Morales into the prime reality). Prior to the reboot most of the heroes, especially the Avengers went out of their way to put a stop to underrage characters participating in superheroics (Rage was kicked out of the Avengers, the young Avengers and Runaways were forcefully disabanded etc.), yet after the reboot not only were the established heroes all suddenly perfectly fine with young teen heroes going into combat (the main Avengers team has Miles and Kamala Khan for example) some even went out of their way to encourage teens to take up superheroics (Tony Stark with Ironheart)
Oops- I somehow missed this comment! Sorry about that.

Yeah, the point about underage characters is a good one- it was typically frowned upon (though Power Pack of all people got away with it, despite being VERY young children), but nowadays they're all "Let's train the next generation!"... despite the much, much greater likelihood of teen heroes dying.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Frozen II! Night Thrasher! Justice! Firestar! Speedball!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:48 pm Oh boy, these are a bunch of characters that I've never even touched, which is kind of weird: personally I blame their weird publishing story over here. See, throughout the '80 and until 1994 the publishing rights of Marvel characters were split between two publishers: Star Comics (whose editors went on to form Marvel Italia in 1994) and Play Press (that also published almost everything DC comics). This situatyion created an infinite number of problems, continuity hiccups and other weirdness, compounded by the fact that both editors (Play Press a bit more) had the habit of 'jumping' filler issues and stories considered of inferior quality.
The first appearences of the New Warriors were published by Play Press in 1993, as an appendix to their final issues of Thor. This made those stories extremely hard to find. Due to some leftover licensing issues, when Marvel Italia started publishing the New Warriors as a stand-alone series, they had to pick it up from when Play Press left... which wasn't a good thing at all! A couple of years later, Marvel Italia published a collected edition with all the Warriors first stories.
All of this made extremely difficult for me getting into the series. At the time, I had no idea who most of these characters were (Darkhawk and Firestar were the only two I had a passing familiarity with).
The notion of how comics printing works in other countries is interesting- I know the British got a lot of very odd "collections" as a result of this kind of thing.
Justice
Vance is a character that really deserves better stories and effort. I remember finding one of the issues with him imprisoned at the Vault and being completely blown away by the fact that he solved a prisoner riot by pretty much being nice to a bunch of C and D league supercriminals. That story alone was a really breath of fresh air and it should have been a much more prominent element in his later characterization... but it wasn't. Even Kurt Busiek (which is a real scholar of comic book continuity) worked him from a compeltely different angle, which was integral to the character as well, but way less interesting. The entirely bonkers origin story of Vance actually put an enormous weight on his shoulder, since he was somehow supposed to be the guy that would, one day, take up the legacy of Captain America and the Avengers in a future that has forgetten all about superheroes. In this sense I can buy that he would be absolutely star-struck at the idea of being an Avenger, but I think they tried to milk that particular idea a bit too long (it was still way better than having Cannonball downgraded during his X-Men run).
Yeah, Cannonball is probably the worst example of degrading someone's maturity and characterization to play the "Graduating Teen Hero" trope. That's a good point about Vance and his assorted backstory bits, though.
FirestarA little side-note, as far as I'm concerned the idea of a microwaves-absed hero is, quite possibly, the best variation on a theme for fire-based powers.
I remember there was someone on the old Atomic Think Tank who created characters based off of every "Blaster" archetype from Ultimate Power's collection of PC powers, all at different PLs, and given unique stunts. One of the better ones was the Microwave-based character. It's just a very unique and distinctive aspect, and much different from the generic "Fire Guy".
Speedball
Robbie was a character I never really liked or understood (looking and behaving way too goofy for his own good), until I read the issue about his parents and, all of the sudden, something clicked putting everything into perspective. Out of the three Warriors that got inspired by Spidey (Nova, Darkhawk and Speedball), Robbie was the one that took the lesson closer to the heart: putting on a brave (and silly) face, while trying to keep things together. This would really resonate with me many years later, when I struggled with depression and it's the reason why I really hate the entire concept of Penance.
Yeah, some good notes here- I didn't see all of Robbie's stuff with his parents, but I definitely pick up on how garbage his home life is, and how much he revels in being a superhero, with his goofy personality kind of coming out of this desire for a more enjoyable life.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Folding Circle! Turbo! Hindsight!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Hindsight Lad's second costume looks very Star Trek to me, and combined with his last name (It's pretty close to Geordi La Forge's last name), I think that's deliberate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I hated Hindsight Lad. HATED him. He was a joke that wasn't funny, I didn't think for a second that anyone would be dumb enough to think that outfit looked cool, he cluttered up a book that already had a lot of characters on it, and in a move that annoyed me the most, he got on the team via blackmail. He literally threatened to expose Speedball and the Warrior's IDs to the public if they didn't let him join. And Robbie took the little dipshit seriously!

His reaction should have been laughter, then followed with a " . . . wait, you're serious, aren't you?" And then, to paraphrase Morgan Freeman, "Let me see if I understand this, you think I'm a member of the New Warriors, a team that includes several people who can benchpress buildings, a woman who can melt steel and render you sterile, a telekinetic that can rip you apart atom by atom with his mind, and our leader, one of the wealthiest, most influential young men on the planet who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands . . . and your plan is to blackmail these people? *beat* Good luck."

They worked to make him more of a well-intentioned troublemaker and decent tech support guy later, but he brought nothing to the table that Mike couldn't have done. It might have even made more sense to have Mike take the tech support role as he gradually accepts that he feels more comfortable being "the guy in the chair" helping the team out than being an actual superhero. Or have him eventually learn how to be a different kind of superhero. Hindsight here was just a complete waste of space on the book.

Seriously, he's the Danny Chase of the New Warriors.

Jabroniville

Helix

Post by Jabroniville »

Sooooooooooo ‘90s.

HELIX (Rafael Carago)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco, Todd DeZago & Ron Lim
First Appearance: Maximum Clonage Alpha (Aug. 1995)
Role: EXTREEEEEEEEME '90s Hero
PL 9 (124)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Reactive Adaptoid" Variable (Powers To Counter Current Threat) 8 (Extras: Reaction +3) [80]
Sample Powers: Immunity to Disease & Poison, Growth, Super-Strength, Durability

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Finding Himself)

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 80 / Defenses: 7 (124)

-Helix is... some bizarre one-shot character, and I don't see any indication on his Wikipedia page that he actually JOINED the Warriors at some point. He's a Reactive Adaptoid, meaning he's got one of those cheesy powers that allows him to gain new abilities to counter any current situation. It's not seen that often (The Legion of Super-Heroes' Nemesis Kid was the first I think, and there's not too many others), but this guy appears to be a stupid one-shot character that never showed up after he left to "go find himself".

-His origin story is tied into The Clone Saga in its later stories, as Marvel padded it again and again to keep the tale going, and had Spidercide (the most-recent and most-forgotten clone of Peter Parker) release the Carrion Virus in Springdale, Pennsylvania, killing the entire town's population... save one guy. Rafael Carago gained super-powers as a result of the Virus, and soon escaped Disease Control and went on the run, fighting the New Warriors and Ben "Scarlet Spider" Reilly, who was then a member of the team in an attempt at shoring up more interest in him. He was abducted from captivity by Spidercide & The Jackal, who mutated him further, but Reilly later used science stuff to bring Helix back to normal, and he joined the Warriors in fighting the others. He then left on a spiritual quest that left him out of comics for good.

-I figure Helix for PL 9, but he's got some REALLY low basic stats- he needs to build up his powers (he gets 40 points' worth) to be any good.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Slapstick

Post by Jabroniville »

SLAPSTICK (Steve Harmon)
Created By:
Len Kaminsky & James Fry
First Appearance: Slapstick #1 (Nov. 1992)
Role: Goofy Hero
Group Affiliations: The New Warriors, The Initiative, Counter-Force
PL 8 (137), PL 10 (137) When Electrocuted
STRENGTH
2/6 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 10 (+10)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Improved Critical (Mallet) 2, Interpose, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Taunt, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Electroplasm Body"
"Completely Indestructible"
Protection 6 [6]
Elongation 4 [4]
Growth 4 (Growth 4 (Str & Stamina +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Flaws: Limited to While Being Electrocuted) [8]
Regeneration 12 (Feats: Diehard, Regrowth) [14]
Immortality 12 (15 minutes) [24]

"Scientist-Supreme-Given Gloves" (Flaws: Removable) [7]
"Dimensional Pocket" Movement 1 (Dimensional Movement- Pocket Universe) (Feats: Increased Mass 4, Subtle) (Extras: Attack) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (7)
Features: May Turn From Steve Harmon to Slapstick & Back as a Free Action (1)
-- (8 points)

"Slapstick's Giant Mallet" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [5]
Strength-Damage +6 (Feats: Reach 2) (8 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Mallet +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Growth +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Growth With Mallet +8 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +5, Will +3
"With Growth" Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +12, Fortitude +9, Will +3

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Puddle of Goo, if Hit With Specific Frequency of Electricity)
Reputation (Imbecile)- Slapstick would be too goofy and manic to fit on on any other super-team.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 68 / Defenses: 9 (137)

Slapstick- The Cruel Joke On Crime:
-Slapstick's a bizarre joke character who represents the Fun Personified aspect of Marvel Comics alongside She-Hulk's solo books and the Great Lakes Avengers. He's got your standard '90s origin (normal teenage boy gains mysterious new powers), but takes a Bugs Bunny-type viewpoint to punishing criminals by playing cruel jokes on them and taunting them to death instead of just beating the ever-loving hell out of them like his contemporaries did. Slapstick wasn't overly successful- his books was too joke-y, and it was the MID-NINETIES, which meant that his book was buried under dozens of other similarly-failed Limited Series debuts, so Slapstick went the way of the dodo very quickly- he actually has barely any appearances between his Limited Series and The Initiative (he's been in dozens of times more comics in the 2000s than he was in the '90s, f'rinstance). He's said to have joined the New Warriors, but this was only shown in the modern era retroactively- it never happened in their own book. Yes, he's an OFF-PANEL member of the team.

-Steve Harmon, a class clown on a date with a girl, ends up following some evil clowns into a portal, and a strange energy source alters his body forever- a "Scientist Supreme" (that was a thing in the '90s, too?) who looks like Groucho Marx coaches him on mastering his "Electroplasm" body- Steve is now a living cartoon character. After defeating the clowns and their boss, the Overlord (who wanted to use kidnapped humans' beliefs to give him whatever he wanted in that dimension), he goes on to become a superhero on Earth, fighting a Punisher wannabe called "Overkiller", a homeless man who creates explosions (the "Neutron Bum"), and more- typically, the series was comedic- with dozens of superheroes preparing to face the Bum, Slapstick simply gives him what he's been screaming for (a cup of coffee), then blindsides him while he's drinking it.

Slapstick the New Warrior:
-Slapstick disappears following his Limited Series, and shows up in The Initiative alongside a ton of other former New Warriors (though again, he'd merely teamed up with the squad in their original book- it was retroactively added that he'd joined them)- he largely doesn't have any effect on things save for being the surprise reveal as to who nearly beat their drill instructor, Gauntlet, to death. Slapstick, enraged over Gauntlet's use of the phrase "New Warriors!" as a taunting slur, bludgeoned him into a coma using his cartoon hammer. A kind of funny, dark joke- the "Looney Tunes" guy now dishing out real violence. His identity was made public by Hindsight, his team was beaten by the Hulk's Warbound, he later keeps the brain engrams of the deranged "K.I.A." for his own unknown uses, and then he quits the Initiative and runs off to join Justice's "Counter Force/New Warriors" team. Seen briefly during Fear Itself, his last use was in Deadpool's Mercs For Money series, where he's recruited to the team, being a natural fit for Deadpool. Unfortunately, being unable to transform back into a normal human anymore leaves him emotionally despondent, despite his willingness to do good.

-Slapstick overall is kind of funny- a "Comedy Hero" who actually fits in because he's treated as annoying and weird in-universe, not because his universe is weird and other characters kind of have to accept it. There's a very dark undercurrent to a lot of his jokes, as Speedball notes, "He doesn't fight crime; he just plays cruel tricks on it". So writers and artists can let out their best physical comedy with him, but also leave him somewhat menacing- everyone thinking "that guy's got problems".

Slapstick's Powers:
-Guys like Slapstick are hard to stat up- he's basically a Looney Tunes character brought into the comic book world. Effectively indestructible thanks to cartoon physics, you essentially can't hurt a man who's got a combo of +8 Toughness and 36 points of Regeneration & Immortality on him. Anything that hurts him is liable to be a momentary problem, as he heals from having his HEAD BLOWN OFF with ludicrous speed. Modern issues still don't really portray a powerhouse, though- he tends to just bonk people with a Hammer (a weapon kept in his Hammerspace Device most often) and get his rear caved in by being tossed around. In his own book, his Regeneration may've been even higher, but in The Initiative, he takes a bit longer to recover, and is generally pretty minor-league.

-Note a few odd powers: He can grow larger and use more physical strength while being electrocuted (effectively gaining in PL against certain attacks, though a smart player would just sink his teeth into a city's Power Grid with regularity), Morph into different forms with his Gloves, as well as stuff various objects into his pockets, but not as an offensive attack against people (he just kinda sticks devices in there for safekeeping and stuff). This is also Subtle, since he can stow things away without others detecting them (such as a New Warriors Communicator thingie, which went unobserved by the "Initiative" heads).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Helix kind of shows why you don't give "adapt to stimuli" powers to a hero, because the only way to really beat him is to not fight him at all. You'd basically have to come up with all of these ass pull reasons for him to lose, which brings up the question of why have him on the team save as a plot device on hand in case you write yourself into a corner.

The New Warriors had really lost what made the book great by the time Helix showed up. The storyline with the Sphinx wound up collapsing under the weight of its own stupidity, a lot of questionable decisions were made over in Nova and Night Thrasher's own books, leading to their cancellation, we got really multiple time travel storylines, one involving a convoluted case of Speedball being replaced with a copy and missing out a year of his life, the Scarlet Spider joining just in time to become Spider-Man, Nova wound up getting de-powered for over 25 issues of the book, Thrasher and Rage leaving to lead Psionex, Hindsight lad, bringing in Alex Power, trying to shoehorn Cloak and Dagger onto the team, it was a hot mess.

Adding Darkhawk to the team would have made sense. His own book was ending, he was an appropriate power level for the team, he could have easily fit into the group, etc. Alex Power, Cloak and Dagger all had their own niche groups to be a part of, and basically only work within those units. Timeslip could have been an interesting character, but she was basically added to late into the run and her time visions wound up being very 'plot device'-y. The New Warriors was really best as a place to breath new life into old ideas, either utilizing forgotten minior young adult/teen heroes, or having teens/young adults become legacy heroes they way they did with Turbo.

Slapstick wasn't a really good concept to begin with, but it could have worked with a legitimately funny writer and an artist that could properly capture how cartoony he was supposed to look when compared to the rest of the comic. Unfortunately for most artists, comics already look like cartoons, so trying to make him look more cartoony almost never worked. You'd need someone who could contrast him to the point where Slapstick would look like Roger Rabbit while the rest of the Marvel Universe looked like the humans from the film. Slapstick would have been a poor fit for the Warriors, since he would have been on a team with Speedball, who was already the goofy, nigh-indestructible character of the group. Having two of them would have been possible with someone who could differentiate them enough, but they likely would have just come off as very samey and annoying.

Slapstick is also an example of a lot of what's wrong with comics these days. Both Slapstick and Speedball were suppose to be "fun" characters. Speedy was more "my home life sucks but I put on a cheerful front as a hero" sad clown hero, but Slapstick was an enthusiastic prankster who was meant to be fun and silly. So naturally both characters were made into these borderline psychotic characters with mental issues and are disturbing or sad rather than fun.

Modern comics: We suck all the fun out of everything.

Jabroniville

Timeslip

Post by Jabroniville »

I love how that loose cloth strip somehow clings ENTIRELY to her breast. What kind of double-sided tape does THAT?

TIMESLIP (Rina Patel)
Created By:
Evan Skolnick & Patrick Zircher
First Appearance: The New Warriors #59 (May 1995)
Role: Forgotten Character
PL 7 (119)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 3 (+4)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+6)
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (History) 4 (+5)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Switch Consciousness With Past & Future Selves"
Senses 8 (Precognition & Postcognition) (Flaws: Limited to Things She Herself Witnessed/Knows) [4]
Variable 2 (Skills & Advantages) [14]

"Limited Time Travel" Movement 3 (Time Travel 3) [6]
"Mimic Super-Speed"
Quickness 5 [5]
Speed 8 (500 mph) [8]
Enhanced Advantages 3: Improved Initiative 3, Close Attack 2, Ranged Attack 2 [7]
Enhanced Dodge & Parry 2 [4]

"Area Attack" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst 3, Selective 3) (8) -- [9]
  • AE: "Rapid Attack" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Multiattack 3) (5)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
High Speed Punches +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Area Punches +3 Area (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +15

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Heroism)- Mike idolizes super-heroes, and really wants to be one.
Normal Identity (Robbie Baldwin)- Robbie's a bit weaker in his "normal" form (lacking most of the evasive Advantages), and requires some sort of impact to start up the "Speedball" form.

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 57 / Defenses: 18 (119)

-Timeslip's a weird concept, sorta fitting what Tempo of The Mutant Liberation Front/Acolytes can do. She joined the Warriors VERY late in the run (ie. I've never heard of her until I started doing my "New Warriors" set in 2015). She is a mutant from India, and her only initial power was to switch her consciousness with her past & present selves, but soon developed more time-related powers- it seems like Evan Skolnick (the replacement writer as the New Warriors book was in its last years) just wanted someone with interesting powers. Gaining warnings of Speedball's death, she attempted to warn the hero, but was blown off until she proved some aspects of her powers, being ultimately recruited to the team by Hindsight. The team sort of accepted her on to the roster, but remained dubious of her predictions until Speedball DID, in fact, die in her arms. But It Was A Clone, created by people in the future to protect Speedball from time-travel shenanigans as a double- Timeslip eventually stopped the villain, Advent, herself. Near the end of the series, however, she was depowered saving the world's superhuman population from Volx the Dire Wraith Queen.

-Post-New Warriors, Timeslip has no real career at all. When Hindsight went nuts post-Civil War, she was seen fleeing an angry mob when he revealed her secret identity to the public as part of an Anti-Warrior campaign. Later, she was shown as "one of the 142 Registered Superheroes" who joined the Initiative, but never did anything with it, and was shown with the X-Men in San Franscisco after M-Day, revealing that she'd kept her powers, despite having zero storytelling opportunities in years. Overall, she seems sorta like a Skolnick "Pet Character" who he got to join his new book, but ultimately didn't have any real staying power as a character, like most Later Warriors.

-She can switch her consciousness with her past & future selves, meaning that she can remember stuff they've seen (Limited Senses), and possibly gain experience (gaining Skills & Advantages). She's also got a handful of Super-Speed-related abilities, but nothing too extreme- she's only PL 5.5 in close combat, and PL 7 defensively. She didn't last long on the Warriors, and ended up being de-powered at one point.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.