Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Slapstick! Ultra Girl! Megaman! Shatterforce!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Light & Dark, Cut & Dry, Hard & Fast, Right & Wrong..I see the naming scheme they were going for, but they really don't make good codenames for the most part..
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, this whole latest batch is fascinatingly awful. Bad ideas and one-off filler pieces- not really surprising is somehow missed them with all my checking. I’ll probably post’ em a little quicker to be rid of them, but they’re still fun to research :).
Jabroniville

Doctor Yesterday

Post by Jabroniville »

I love how the scientist who can build a Time Travel Device is also built like Brock Lesnar.

DOCTOR YESTERDAY
Created By:
Fabian Nicieza & Scott Koblisch
First Appearance: Marvel Comics Presents #159 (July 1994)
Role: Background Villain

-Doctor Yesterday is one of those goofy-ass one-off Marvel Comics Presents guys that typically sprouted up in that very weird series (where a story got only 1/4 of a book, and so the drama was very sudden and tales were so short that each chapter had no meaning)- he's a guy who suffered from a terminal illness, and so of course built a time-travel device in a suit of armor, allowing him to "swap out" people with themselves from other time periods. However, he discovered he was incapable of swapping his body out for a healthy one, and decided to destroy the universe. He tried to focus his powers at the Museum of Natural History in New York, leading to Slapstick and the New Warriors fighting him- as Dr. Yesterday, he brought a T-Rex skeleton to life in order to aide him, then froze some of the Warriors. The Impossible Man got involved, and Yesterday told him that he'd never accomplished anything in his life- never fallen in love or had any real accomplishments (except for... inventing his TIME TRAVEL ARMOR, I guess?). However, he discovered that he would live for a very long time- realizing that it was actually possible to go to the future and look for a cure, Dr. Yesterday returned everything to normal and left to go forward in time. Yeah. Marvel Comics Presents, everyone.

-Doctor Yesterday is one of those guys who's too vague to stat, though he's a unique combination of Genius, Time-Freezer (stopping guys in time, which is one of the harder Afflictions to figure out- "Paralyzed", but against WHAT? Speed? Athletics? Strength?), Minion Summoner (sort of), and... whatever Person-Swapping is (Limited Transform Affliction?).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh, good! MC48 told me that all the Soldiers of Misfortune in fact had powers, and so I went searching- I found the New Warriors fansite (apparently one of the oldest fansites on the interwebs!), which sums up many issues: http://newwarriors.com/synopsis/new-war ... arriors-54. And both Dark and Wrong, whom I'd left with just guns on their builds, had their powers listed! Only a single mention each (manipulate gravity/perceptions), but it was all I needed to throw on some powers! My thanks to MC48, and my apologies to everyone for committing the crime of leaving such important characters improperly statted for a couple of hours :).
Jabroniville

Kid Quarry & Co.

Post by Jabroniville »

FOUR RANDOM DOUCHES
Created By:
Chris Marrinan
First Appearance: Nova #10 (April 1994)
Role: Background Villains

-These these four random douches showed up as minor threats in the pages of Nova in 1994. Chris Marrinan set them up as almost literal Sketchpad Characters- losers with quirky names (Skullcat! Deadhead! Kid Quarry!), but didn't even bother to fill in the "Powers" section of most of their bios. Nova investigated their attempted robbery, and knocked out Skullcat with one shot, so Kid Quarry blasted at him- his blasts were deflected onto his own remaining teammates, at which point Nova one-punched HIM, too. And that was it for 75% of the group- they never appeared again, having never shown their powers. Five years later, in a new Nova series, Erik Larsen had the hero meet Kid Quarry again- not remembering him, Nova nonetheless punched him down, and Quarry feigned powerlessness before blasting him with his cement powers. This allowed him the time to escape.

The Members:

SKULLCAT: Despite having an AMAZINGLY stupid name and a distinct enough appearance that he should have been a legendary crap villain for years, Skullcat never got to show his powers- he was the first guy in his group to be knocked out! Like, THAT's a crap showing if I ever saw one! A true tragedy, really. Presumably it had something to do with his claws or the lil' spikes on his arms. But still, look at that face- a skull with KITTY EARS! This dude shoulda gone on to "Boomslang" history.

KID QUARRY: Appeared to be somewhat super-strong and durable, but not enough to avoid being easily KO'd by Nova in the mid-90s. He could also shoot cement from his hands. The only member of the group to reappear, or even show many powers.

DEADHEAD I: Wearing a smiley clown-mask, Deadhead used a regular handgun and "Electro-Bolos". Before he even got a chance to use them, Kid Quarry's cement-blasts bounced off of Nova and hit Deadhead, knocking him out.

SURESHOT: A female criminal, Sureshot had a targetting system over one eye, and twin missile launchers on her wrist- Nova crushed one, then deflected Kid Quarry's blasts into her & Deadhead, knocking them out.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Spectrum

Re: Photon (Jason Dean)

Post by Spectrum »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:33 am The clues were when Dr. Rider removed all the months of a calendar, which spelled out "JASON DEA--".
Hopefully, I'm missing something in this sentence. What month, in English, starts with an A?

J- January, June, July
A- April, August
S- September
O- October
N- November

D- December
E- ????
A- April, August

So, a calendar with (January), Feb, March, May, (June), (July) in it?

What is the E???
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Re: Photon (Jason Dean)

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:43 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:33 am The clues were when Dr. Rider removed all the months of a calendar, which spelled out "JASON DEA--".
Hopefully, I'm missing something in this sentence. What month, in English, starts with an A?

J- January, June, July
A- April, August
S- September
O- October
N- November

D- December
E- ????
A- April, August

So, a calendar with (January), Feb, March, May, (June), (July) in it?

What is the E???
They probably just used the "DE" in "December", is my guess.
Jabroniville

Heavy Mettle

Post by Jabroniville »

HEAVY METTLE
Created By:
Jay Faerber & Steve Scott
First Appearance: The New Warriors #2 (Nov. 1999)
Role: Jobber Team

-Heavy Mettle formed in the pages of the second New Warriors series, created by Jay Faerber. Their origin is a bit weird and kind of makes them out to be losers, as they were banded together by BLACKWING of all people. A villain who's biggest claim to fame was that he was a low-rent guy in the Red Skull's organization and that he was the son of Silvermane, Blackwing immediately made these guys out to be total jobbers. Dropping the costume and acting as a generic crimeboss, he founded his own "Superhuman Army" comprised of brand-new characters, but most of them were forgotten jobbers- mere Maggia goons given suits of armor by the looks of things. They were defeated from within when Firestrike went rogue- he was supposed to spy on Mickey "Turbo" Musashi and steal her gear for Blackwing, but couldn't go through with it, sparing her and giving the New Warriors and the feds info on his team.

-These guys are TERRIBLE, though- their only later appearances consisted as being members of Norman Osborn's Initiative version. Most of them were only seen as Backgrounders in the fight of Prison 42 in the Negative Zone, such was their jobberiness- only the second Blackwing was killed. They come off strongly like they were created and designed solely because they had decent names that weren't taken.

The Members:
Joseph Manfredi- The former Blackwing, now a guy in a suit.
Firestrike- Fire powers. Fell for Turbo (Mickey Musashi).
Riot- Sonic powers.
Barracuda- Giant Armor & Staff.
Stronghold- Super-Strength.
Warbow- Archer with trick arrows.
Blackwing II- A new, female version in a winged costume.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Blackwing (Joe Manfredi)

Post by Jabroniville »

BLACKWING I (Joseph Manfredi)
Created By:
Gerry Conway & Don Heck
First Appearance: Daredevil #118 (Feb. 1975)
Role: Jobber Villain, Rip-Off of Green Goblin AND Batman
Group Affiliations: The Maggia, The Masters of Evil, The Skeleton Crew, HYDRA, The Circus of Crime, Heavy Mettle
PL 8 (112)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+9)
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 10 (+12)
Expertise (Criminal) 8 (+10)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Vehicles 6 (+9)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Body Armour, Batwing Glider, Razor-Bats, Pistol), Improved Aim, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 10

Powers:
"Bat Control" Mind Control 6 (Extras: Area- 120ft. +3) (Flaws: Touch Range -2, Limited to Animals, Limited to Bats) [6]

Equipment:
"Batwing Jet" Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Platform) (6)
"Body Armour" Protection 2 (2)

"Razor-Bats" Blast 3 (Extras: Multiattack) (Diminished Range -1) (8) -- (9)
  • AE: "Pistol" Blast 4 (8)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+1 Damage, DC 17)
Razor-Bats +10 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Pistol +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+5 Armour), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed, Power)- A Maggia member and crimeboss, Joseph Manfredi just wants money and power.
Relationship (Antonio Manfredi)- Silvermane is one of New York's historically most-powerful crimebosses, and Joseph's father.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 15 (112)

-I've always been interested in the Blackwing character, ever since I read an old Captain America issue featuring him & Jack O'Lantern brawling with Cap out of nowhere when they were all searching the same location. I didn't get the second part until years later, but obviously, Cap won :). Turns out, the guy's the son of SILVERMANE, one of Spidey's C-League enemies (written as a non-Kingpin crimelord for Spider-Man to tussle with once Daredevil co-opted Kingpin), using a Green Goblin rip-off schtick with his Goblin Glider-esque thingie, along with ripping off Batman's costume & design. And hell- he'd debuted WAY back. He got his start in 1975, back in the "Daredevil dates Black Widow & fights aliens" phase of that book.

-Blackwing actually got his start as the animal trainer for the Ringmaster's Circus of Crime, which is hilariously low-rent for the son of the head of the Maggia- turns out that was a "cover", and a later Daredevil issue revealed his parentage. He worked for his dad in HYDRA along with a ton of other minor villains, but was again beaten by DD- he managed to escape with Silvermane, but that was it for him for almost twenty years, until (of course) Mark Gruenwald remembered him and had him show up with Jack O'Lantern in Captain America, hunting the remains of the Red Skull's hide-out (a former home of Silvermane's). The two were recruited to join the Skull's "Skeleton Crew" stable of villains, capturing Diamondback before losing her- he was swiftly defeated by The Falcon and sent to The Vault, where he spent several more years on the shelf.

-Blackwing's next appearance was as one of many background guys in the Crimson Cowl's new Masters of Evil in Thunderbolts- this crew is huge, but ridiculously jobber-y, and most are beaten in single panels. He actually managed to knock out HAWKEYE of all people, without the use of his weapons, but Jolt dodged Shockwave's punch, which then careened into Blackwing, taking him down. Humorously, his run in Heavy Mettle is actually his LAST- he gives up super-villainy, instead becoming a costumed crime-boss like so many others, and gives his identity to a female crook working for him. Figuring that his team of absolute losers will be the source of ultimate power, he has them infiltrate the New Warriors, but one of the HM team (Firestrike) goes into witness protection, testifying against his former boss and sending him to prison. His name was used by both his female replacement (who later died) and Barnell "Beak" Bohusk when he lost his original mutant powers.

-Yeesh, no wonder this guy retired. This guy is in good shape and is pretty strong, but he just lacks the overall firepower to take out any half-decent hero. Good fighter, but his best weapon is a common Pistol and only his Defense keeps him at PL 8- the Avengers Academy kids would school him in seconds. He had a pack of trained bats to do his bidding, but really, bats are a minor nuisance at best, and can really only provide a distraction.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Blackwing (The Female One)

Post by Jabroniville »

BLACKWING II (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Role: Legacy Villain
Group Affiliations: Heavy Mettle
PL 7 (77)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+5)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Perception 3 (+4)
Technology 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Flying Suit" (Flaws: Removable) [7]
Protection 2 (2)
Flight 6 (Flaws: Winged) (6)
-- (8 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3 (+5 Suit), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Blackwing works for the Silvermanes.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 7 / Defenses: 12 (77)

-Blackwing was a member of Heavy Mettle that oddly took on the former villainous persona of her boss, Joseph Manfredi. Perhaps to make it clear that he wasn't supposed to be a super-villain this time, but a "behind the scenes" kinda guy? In any case, she didn't really do anything. And she was the only member of Heavy Mettle to die in the Battle of Prison 42, being overrun by the hordes of the Negative Zone along with Slaughter Boy & Johnny Guitar- yes, she was chosen as a sacrifice to "prove this is serious" alongside THOSE two dorks.

-Yet another "Flying is their only power" character- I always struggle with figuring out how these types are supposed to justify any kind of a Power Level, especially if they don't showcase any fighting abilities. In this case, since her outfit's pretty well-armored I just gave her +9 to her defenses and that was that. Offensively she's much weaker.
Jabroniville

Riot

Post by Jabroniville »

RIOT III (Real Name Unknown, aka Decibel)
Created By:
Role: Sonic Blaster
PL 7 (82)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Deception 4 (+5)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Perception 3 (+4)
Technology 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Sonic Suit" (Flaws: Removable) [16]
Protection 2 (2)
Immunity 2 (Audio Dazzles) (2)
Sonic Blast 8 (16)
-- (20 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sonic Blast +6 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+5 Suit), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Riot works for the Silvermanes.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 12 (82)

-Riot is a simple Blaster. The most notable thing about him is that Nova, while disguised as Firestrike to infiltrate Heavy Mettle's base, refers to him as "Decibel" and is not corrected- Riot refers to himself by his proper name in the same issue. This reads to me like nobody cared or they changed the name halfway through and forgot to fix it this one time.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Megaman! Soldiers of Misfortune! Blackwing!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

I'm guessing that weak flying characters like Blackwing II here are supposed to use ramming attacks with their flight speed (which I suppose would be a Slam attack in M&M) or the like to do any damage. (and hey, with her Flight 6, she'd do +6 damage with a Slam, so it doesn't break her PL cap)
Jabroniville

Firestrike

Post by Jabroniville »

See, this is why most artists draw outfits to be skin-tight.

FIRESTRIKE (Dalton Beck)
Created By:
Role: Jobber Villain, Fire Guy, Villain the Hero Dates
PL 8 (107)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Firefighter) 8 (+10)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Firestrike Suit" (Flaws: Removable) [21]
Protection 2 (2)
Immunity 7 (Fire Damage, Drowning & Suffocation) (7)
"Flamethrower" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (16) -- (17)
  • AE: Fire Blast 8 (16)
-- (26 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Fire Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Flamethrower +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+5 Suit), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Firestrike works as an arsonist & enforcer for the Silvermanes.
Relationship (Mickey "Turbo" Musashi)- Firestrike was sent to get close to the heroine and steal her suit, but found himself unwilling to cause her harm.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 10 (107)

-Firestrike was a professional arsonist working for the Silvermanes, but his father was a legit firefighter- this allowed him to perfect his job and act in secrecy. When his boss wanted access to Mickey Musashi's "Turbo" suit, Firestrike was charged with getting close to Mickey, starting a relationship with her. But what he didn't count on was... falling in love. When she took off the suit in front of him (DAYYYUUMMMMMMM), he found himself having a "Huntsman" moment and refused to kill her, instead turning on his employer and siding with the New Warriors. Sadly, he went into witness protection afterwards (as Joe's father was THE Silvermane, a Maggia top-dog), and therefore apparently never saw Turbo again.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Barracuda

Post by Jabroniville »

BARRACUDA (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Role: Strong Fighter
PL 7 (82)
STRENGTH
2/6 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Deception 4 (+5)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Perception 3 (+4)
Technology 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Equipment (Metal Staff), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Barracuda Suit" (Flaws: Removable) [15]
Enhanced Strength 4 (8)
Protection 5 (5)
Immunity 5 (Drowning, Pressure, Suffocation, Heat, Cold) (5)
-- (18 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Barracuda Suit +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Metal Staff +6 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3 (+8 Suit), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Barracuda works for the Silvermanes.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 8 (82)

-Barracuda was a woman in skin-tight strength-enhancing armor and a big metal staff for some reason.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Doctor Yesterday

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:55 am Image

I love how the scientist who can build a Time Travel Device is also built like Brock Lesnar.
This actually wouldn't be that bad of a basic design for a Cosmo-Knight.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.