Jab’s Builds! (Nightmare Creatures/Circus! Lawnmower Man! Metroid!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

The Snow Leopards

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SNOW LEOPARDS (Issa, Ilya & Ioakim Koblev)
Created By:
Cefn Ridout & Charlie Adlard
First Appearance: Fury/Black Widow: Death Duty (Feb. 1995)
Role: Background Villains, Cat People
Group Affiliations: The Snow Leopards, The Super-Soldier School
PL 7 (99)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Expertise (Survival) 7 (+8)
Intimidation 6 (+5)
Perception 6 (+7)
Stealth 5 (+10)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
"Mountain Creature" Movement 2 (Environmental Adapatation- Cold & Mountains) [4]

"Cat Agility"
"Climbing Skills" Enhanced Skills 4: Athletics 4 (+16) (Flaws: Limited to Climbing) [1]
Leaping 3 [3]

"White & Spotted Coat" Enhanced Skills 4: Stealth 4 (+16) (Flaws: Limited to Snow-Bound Areas) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Claws & Teeth +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Superhuman)- The Snow Leopards cannot pass for ordinary humans.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 11 (99)

-Created by someone whose name sounds absolutely made-up (Cefn Ridout was apparently a Doctor Who Magazine editor who wrote exactly three stories for Marvel), the Snow Leopards were mutant siblings and some of MANY students made wards of the state for a Super-Soldier School. Eventually, the program was shut down and the students abandoned, but these guys naturally got on well in the wilderness. One day, they were "adopted" by a woman named Yi Yang, a Yellow Peril Femme Fatale enemy of Night Raven's- Yi became Issa's lover and defender. When Raven and Black Widow teamed up to hunt Yi down, Issa attacked them and was killed when his mistress blew up their base to finish off her enemies. When the heroes tracked her down again, she revealed two MORE Snow Leopards, who fought hard and nearly decapitated Night Raven, but were ultimately tossed into the power core of Yi's hideout and thought killed.

-The two remaining Snow Leopards thus disappeared from continuity for fifteen years until suddenly popping up, still with their powers following M-Day, now members of an anti-democratic terrorist cell called Remont Six. Here, they teamed up with similarly forgotten Russian villain Volga, all three brawling with Ursa Major of the Winter Guard- he easily overpowered all three characters.

-The Snow Leopards are low-tier "Animalistic Scrapper" characters- good survival skills and claws, but ultimately they lose to a pair of non-powered heroes in Black Widow & Night Raven. Only Issa has ever been shown speaking, as he was apparently the student of Yi Yang, while the other two just snarled- it's unclear if they can speak at all.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Yie Ar Kung-Fu

Post by Jabroniville »

YIE AR KUNG-FU:
Game Type: Fighting Game
Release Date: 1985
Developer: Konami

-Along with 1984's Karate Champ, Yie Ar Kung-Fu is one of the oldest and most influential of the Fighting Game genre- most of the others have sprung from this very simple foundation. The game is brutally-simple: you play a guy who has to fight a bunch of other dudes & ladies in succession to win the game. This simplicity means that the game can develop a much more in-depth fighting engine than something like Double Dragon, which needs to account for multiple moving sprites on the screen- you can thus offer far more variety in an individual battle. This little thing ends up being the formative concept behind the ENORMOUS world of Fighting Games that sprung from these two original sources.

-In this game, you play the Bruce Lee-inspired "Oolong", fighting a series of people in order. You face eleven in the arcade game original, and 5-13 in the multiple home versions, doing up to 16 different moves, thrown at low, medium and high levels (various enemies will block or be vulnerable to attacks at these corresponding levels). The game was very, very popular in its day, springing off a lot of home versions and earning a sequel the next year. Street Fighter copycat Martial Champion, also made by Konami, was in fact supposed to be a numbered sequel to Yie Ar Kung-Fu until they changed their minds- the main character is even based off of Oolong.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Oolong

Post by Jabroniville »

OOLONG & LEE YOUNG
Role:
The Player Character
PL 7 (102)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+11)
Athletics 5 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Expertise (The Martial Arts) 10 (+11)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Assessment, Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Power Attack, Takedown

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +6

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 12 (102)

-Oolong fights to become the "Grand Master" and thus honor the memory of his father. He's the most mobile character other than the Final Boss, "Blues", which he'll need against his variety of foes. Lee Young, from Yie Ar Kung-Fu II, is the same fundamental guy, and is meant to be the son of the NES version's hero.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Peristrike Force! Fraternity of Raptors! Monark Starstalker!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

This game was definitely really influential, though it makes it odd that Konami rarely tried their hand at 2D Fighters after that, aside from Martial Champion, the multiple versions of TMNT Tournamnet FIghter, and Dragoon Might.
Jabroniville

Yie Ar Kung-Fu Opponents

Post by Jabroniville »

DOJO REPRESENTATIVE
Role:
Mooks
Group Affiliations: None
PL 5 (58)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 4 (+6)
Expertise (The Martial Arts) 5 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Close Attack, Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed or Chosen Weapon), Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Ranged Attack 3

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (58)

-In Yie Ar Kung-Fu, Oolong must battle through a number of foes. On a second playthrough, each character is more difficult to face, in that they use their attacks more often.

ARCADE FOES:
BUCHU- PL 5 (58): ST +1, FIGHTING -1 [0]
-A big, powerful guy, he uses mid-level attacks, and is very slow.

STAR- PL 5 (63): Equipment (Shuriken- Blast 3, Diminished Range -1), Ranged Attack 4 [5]
-The first female fighter, she of course wears a pink outfit and tosses out Shuriken, which may be punched away for extra points. She may be based on Taiwanese martial arts-actress Angela Mao.

NUNCHA- PL 5 (59): Equipment 1 (Nunchucks +1) [1]
-Likely based on Roper from Enter the Dragon, he wears yellow and fights using nunchucks.

POLE- PL 5 (60): Equipment 1 (Bo Staff +1- Reach), Improved Initiative [2]
-A short man who uses a long-reach bo and vaults for extra speed & momentum.

FEEDLE- PL 4 (54): TOUGHNESS -1, FIGHTING -2 [-6]
-A different kind of foe, "Feedle" is weaker, but appears in great numbers- when one is beaten, another replaces him (or Feedle just respawns).

CHAIN- PL 6 (63): ST +1, STA +1, Equipment 1 (Chain +1- Reach 2) [5]
-A large man swinging a giant chain for extra reach- the first of your next tier of enemies.

CLUB- PL 7 (63): ST +1, STA +1, Equipment 1 (Club +2, Shield +2) [5]
-Like Chain, but with a huge spiked club and a shield to block mid-level attacks.

FAN- PL 6 (67): FIGHTING +2, Equipment 2 (Steel Fan- Blast 3), Ranged Attack 4 [9]
-A female fighter in a Chinese cheongsam. Throws steel fans and is very fast.

SWORD- PL 7 (65): FIGHTING +2, Athletics +4, Equipment 1 (Sword +3) [7]
-A fast fighter using a Chinese "Dao" sword and good aerial moves.

TONFUN- PL 7 (71): ST +1, STA +2, FIGHTING +3, Equipment 1 (Tonfa +1- Split) [13]
-The penultimate character fought, he's faster than the others and uses twin tonfa rods.

NES PORT FOES:
* The NES & MSX ports feature Lee as the Main Character, and sends him against only five opponents:

WANG- PL 5 (59): Equipment 1 (Bo Staff +1- Reach) [1]
-Like Pole, but does not use his bo to gain momentum.

TAO- PL 5 (68): Blast 3, Ranged Attack 4 [10]
-Like Star, but the attacks are Fireballs instead of shuriken.

CHEN- PL 6 (63): ST +1, STA +1, Equipment 1 (Chain +1- Reach 2) [5]
-Exactly like Chain.

LANG- PL 6 (69): FIGHTING +2, Equipment 2 (Shuriken- Blast 3, Diminished Range -1), Ranged Attack 6 [11]
-The port version of Star, but is much faster.

MU- PL 7 (65): FIGHTING +3 [6]
-Called "Wu" in the MSX version, this is the Final Boss, and is more of a generic guy. When he is defeated, you again start over with more difficult versions of the opponents.

GBA PORT FOES:
* The Game Boy Advance remake adds two Secret Characters, accessed by using the famous "Konami Code" used in many Konami games for secret stuff.

BISHOO- PL 7 (65): FIGHTING +3, Equipment 1 (Daggers +1- Split) [7]
-A white-clad female who uses daggers.

CLAYMAN- PL 8 (84): ST +2, no STA, FIGHTING +2, Equipment 1 (Sword +3), Immunity 30 (Fort. Effects), Protection 7 [26]
-A living statue who attacks with a huge sword.

MOBILE PHONE PORT FOES:
* Yes, a MOBILE PHONE version offers a new character- Katana, a samurai.

KATANA- PL 7 (58): FIGHTING +2, Equipment 1 (Sword +3) [5]
-A sword-wielding samurai.

YIE AR KUNG-FU II FOES:
* The sequel seems to have a smaller list of guys.

YEN PEI- PL 6 (65): ST +1, STA +1, Hair Braid +1- Reach 2 [7]
-Uses a long hair chain.

LAN FANG- PL 6 (67): FIGHTING +2, Equipment 2 (Steel Fan- Blast 3), Ranged Attack 4 [9]
-Just like Fan.

PO CHIN- PL 6 (72): ST +1, STA +1, "Gas Clouds" Damage 5 (Area- Cloud) [14]
-A big guy who uses gas clouds as attacks.

WEN HU- PL 6 (69): FIGHTING +2, Equipment 2 (Mask- Blast 3, Homing 3, Ricochet), Ranged Attack 6 [11]
-A guy who throws his mask, which flits about the screen at random.

WEI CHIN- PL 6 (69): FIGHTING +2, Equipment 2 (Boomerang- Blast 3, Homing 2, Ricochet), Ranged Attack 6 [11]
-A bald guy with a boomerang.

MEI LING- PL 7 (65): FIGHTING +3, Equipment 1 (Daggers +1- Split) [7]
-A red-clad female who uses daggers.

HAN CHEN- PL 6 (70): FIGHTING +2, Equipment 3 (Smoke Bombs- Blast 6), Ranged Attack 6 [12]
-A smoke-bomb-tossing guy in a robe and hat. Resembles a Chinese zombie.

LI JEN- PL 7 (97): ST +1, STA +2, FIGHTING +3, Lightning Blast 6 (Multiattack, Indirect- From Above), Ranged Attack 8 [39]
-The final opponent, Li Jen is a sorcerer who resembles Ming the Merciless, and throws out LIGHTNING ATTACKS and the like, benig a much more esoteric threat.

BLUES
Role:
The Final Boss
PL 7 (102)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+11)
Athletics 5 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Expertise (The Martial Arts) 10 (+11)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Assessment, Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Power Attack, Takedown

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +6

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 12 (102)

-A Mirror Image Character of Oolong himself, and can match him move for move, thus making him the most complex rival in the game. "Blues" is actually the Japanese approximation of "Bruce", of course.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Peristrike Force! Fraternity of Raptors! Monark Starstalker!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Alright, so with Yie Ar Kung-Fu posted, it's finally time to start my new set of Star Wars Builds tomorrow! But before I begin...

A NOTE ABOUT BITCHING ABOUT THE NEW STAR WARS MOVIES:
-So I feel I need to make this official, just to get a public word about it- a huge part of my hesitance to do a Star Wars set featuring the new movies is based off of the extreme reactions to the fanbase, even here, about them. Hundreds of pages, thousands of shittily-edited YouTube videos of people raging against them, ENDLESS conversation for years... I'm beyond sick of hearing about it. But when I suggested people not complain about them too much, I started getting PMs from people trying to NEGOTIATE them being allowed to complain about them, I realized how difficult this was going to be. And after all, as the main reason I'm doing Star Wars Builds at ALL is because I'm whoring for commen-- I mean, trying to enable a large board discussion in my thread, I figured it's pointless to try and RESTRAIN said discussion overly much. HOWEVER... rules need to be set. As Ares has pointed out, topic-starters are allowed to make certain requirements in their threads, and even get posts moved if need be. So I'll make this rule:

ONLY BITCH ABOUT THE NEW MOVIES WHEN IT'S RELEVANT!

Examples: If I'm posting about Luke Skywalker, you can complain about how he was treated in the new movies. When I post Rey, it's fine to complain about Rey. When I drop my notes about the newer movies, THEN you can complain about Kathleen Kennedy and how she's the Great Satan. But a post about Mon Mothma is not an opportunity to complain about Rose. Posting about about Vader, Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon is not the time for you to talk about how Rey is a Mary Sue and SJWs have ruined Star Wars. THE BUILDS FOR THE NEWER MOVIES WILL BE POSTED LAST. Please save your venom for then instead of the WEEKS of posts that will be irrelevant to them.

I WILL have Ares remove posts if it gets out of hand (and by "out of hand" I mean "off-topic to the current builds being posted").
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Darkhawk Builds! Monark Starstalker! Yie Ar Kung-Fu!)

Post by Ares »

As someone who has done the lion's share of bitching about the latest Star Wars films, I find Jab's request to be more than reasonable, is completely within the rules of the board, and I will enforce this, even to the point of self-censorship if I get out of line. And what goes for me goes for everyone.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I'm okay with that.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:51 pm This game was definitely really influential, though it makes it odd that Konami rarely tried their hand at 2D Fighters after that, aside from Martial Champion, the multiple versions of TMNT Tournamnet FIghter, and Dragoon Might.
Haha, I was just looking up stuff about TMNT Tournament Fighter, and I was like "Why does every release of that game seem to have a whole different supporting roster?" Did they really make entirely different versions?
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:25 am
KorokoMystia wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:51 pm This game was definitely really influential, though it makes it odd that Konami rarely tried their hand at 2D Fighters after that, aside from Martial Champion, the multiple versions of TMNT Tournamnet FIghter, and Dragoon Might.
Haha, I was just looking up stuff about TMNT Tournament Fighter, and I was like "Why does every release of that game seem to have a whole different supporting roster?" Did they really make entirely different versions?
Yeah, all three versions are entirely different, with a different roster! It's pretty bizarre.
Jabroniville

Star Wars

Post by Jabroniville »

STAR WARS:

-So this was a thing that got pretty popular.

-But really, it's hard to even find a way to START with the Star Wars franchise- it started off as just this pipe dream sci-fi movie by George Lucas (then getting a good rep for movies like the excellent American Graffiti- one of the major instigators of the '50s nostalgia during the 1970s), was made with a bunch of actors who thought it was a bit silly, and then ended up EXPLODING, becoming one of the biggest hits of all time. And then it had two sequels, each of which did gangbusters as well, and setting off a whole new era of blockbusters. Taking a bunch of stuff from all kinds of different sources (Kurosawa Samurai movies, Korean manwha comics, etc.), Lucas ended up creating this Pop Cultural touchstone- soon everybody was obsessed with Laser Weapons, Jedi, Darth Vader and all sorts of cool new alien races. Kids bought so many of the toys that a brand-new industry was created: Merchandise-Driven Cartoons soon sprouted up all over the place to copy the success Kenner had with their Star Wars line of figures (they remain some of the most sought-after toys ever). You can pretty much trace Ninja Turtles, G.I. Joe, Transformers, He-Man and Thundercats all back to this, in addition to the Sci-Fi Boom of the era. Hell, Star Wars is responsible for the continued existence of MARVEL of all things- they were ready for bankruptcy in the late 1970s, until they lucked out, got the Star Wars license, and made a killing.

It's a bit hard to figure out just what made everyone go SO crazy over this series of films. In one way, they're a bit clunky- the dialogue could get iffy in parts ("You can WRITE this shit, George," Harrison Ford told him, "but you can't SAY it."), the moral drama simplistic (there's even a "Light Side" and a "Dark Side" of the core ethos of the universe), the acting a bit wooden and/or over-the-top, the Stormtroopers are so comically-imcompetent that thety're the iconic Useless Mooks, etc. But as a whole, the thing was EXCEPTIONALLY well-made. One thing I notice in retrospect, is that like a lot of good movies, the thing is comprised largely of big, iconic Set-Pieces and backdrops that go all over the place. Rather than just leave people sitting around in one area talking together, the movie shows you the moisture farm, the big Jawa thing, the Tusken Raiders, the famous Mos Eisley cantina, the Star Destroyers, and more. Hell, the thing STARTS with one of the most-iconic chases of all time, as a tiny vessel is hounded by this ENORMOUS Star Destroyer.

The entire world seems to function of "Rule of Cool". The bad guys want to establish dominance? They build a spaceship the size of a small moon and have it blow up planets. The villainous mooks dress up with skull motifs and wear stark black & white. Darth Vader wants to be a bad-ass? He starts slaughtering his minions for displeasing him. You throw guys with Psychic Powers into a world of science fiction laser guns. The spaceships all act like World War II fighter aircraft with hand-operated guns on platforms because it looks more cool that way. Jedi make Sword Nerds cry by adding fifteen spins per slice. The crime-boss Han Solo owes money is a literal drooling slug monster with a 50-foot-tall monster in his basement, and he executes people with either that or a carnivorous hole in the ground.

Nothing is wasted: rather than just make a standard escape and start shooting their way out, the heroes get stuck in a garbage disposal thing and fight a giant Garbage Snake. Why? Because it's just another different piece of action, that's why! And this is just the first movie! In the sequels, we get the swamps of Dagobah, the ice fields of Hoth, the forest moon of Endor, multiple space battles that are all different, etc. Other films that pull off stuff like this include Finding Nemo (A LOT of distinctive sets here- the Turtle Vortex, the Dentist's Office, the Coral, the ship with the sharks, the Seagulls, etc.), Toy Story (Pizza Planet, Sid's house, Andy's room, etc.), and even Transformers: The Movie (where the big Autobot/Decepticon War and Unicron take a back seat to random events like a fight on a Planet of Junk and fighting underwater mechanical creatures, then facing off against evil Quintesson Judges and Sharkticons). I think it's a sign a film is well-made when EVERY SCENE remains distinctive for one reason or another.

The VEHICLES in the series are even kept different and distinct- the Millennium Falcon, TIE Fighters, X-Wings and more are huge stand-outs: the excellent miniature designs make this franchise have the most-iconic bunch of ships ever. I also liked how GRITTY everything looked- this wasn't any Star Trek, full of pretty, smooth machines- these things saw use, and showed their age. No other franchise could even come CLOSE. Rather than stick a bunch of Rubber Forehead Aliens around, Star Wars gives you giant Wookiees, tiny Ewoks, Droids all over the place, Jawas, Ithorians and all sorts of other weird stuff- again making things stand out. The Special Effects basically made this film as much as anything. Even the SOUND effects and the MUSIC are top of the line- pretty much everyone knows the sounds the lasers make, that "whirr" of flying vehicles, the "Lightsaber Effect" and more, and the soundtrack just makes the whole thing. Basically, even with a handful of flaws, the rest of the people working on the film- set designers, puppeteers, F/X guys, miniature builders and musicans, etc., were so damn good at their jobs that they made an unforgettable pieice of work.

There's great Character Naming here, too- you can't forget stuff like "Luke Skywalker" or "Han Solo". And despite a cast of "recognizable names" that is positively ENORMOUS (even moreso if you read the supplemental materials about the background nobodies), but there's great Economy of Character here, as well. The Main Group could almost be overwhelming, but it basically consists of The Young Hero (Luke), The Mentor (Obi-Wan), The Chick (Leia), and The Rogue (Han) as the only major characters- Chewbacca, C-3P0 & R2-D2 are distinctive and memorable characters, but two don't even really SPEAK, and they're all basically Sidekicks. So the group never gets overwhelmingly-large or feels like there's too many people sitting around (compare this to Lord of the Rings, which really has two Hobbits too many). Of the villains, we only get two in the first movie that matter (Tarkin & Vader), a side character in the middle (Lando), and Jabba & The Emperor rounding things out.

And yet EVERY CHARACTER stands out. Lando is his own character, but he has this servant going around with him (Lobot) who remains well-known simply because he has cyborg stuff on his head. There's Jabba's Twi'lek goon, that ugly monster by his tail, that pig thing, about a half-dozen unique animals never seen before, and more. Even Princess Leia subverts your expectations- how many Rescued Princesses back then acted like total bitches to their rescuers, then grabbed a gun and started blasting away? And in Darth Vader, Lucas & Co. created one of cinema's great bad guys- a powerful, threatening, iconic figure that almost ran away with all the movie's press! Even characters who look like idiots on-screen, like the infamous Boba Fett, have an entire industry built around their exploits.

It was big enough to get major-league "Re-Releases" in the '90s that saw CGI upgrades and some new (mostly-lame) scenes, including the infamous "Greedo Shoots First" edit (that looks very weird, like it just doesn't "fit" properly with the body language. Also, how did Greedo MISS from that distance?). A few cartoon series have come out (the best one is the Clone Wars one done by the Samurai Jack crew, though they did a CGI one that I only saw once. It was OK). And of course the infamous "Prequels" (several years in, Lucas suddenly went "Oh the series actually started with Part IV, not Part I), where Lucas went Full CGI, wrote some of the worst dialogue to hit a major Hollywood production, and eventually pissed off legions of fans (some parts of the movies are awesome, but other parts include Hayden "So wooden it's an insult to puppets" Christensen, Jake Lloyd, and Jar Jar Binks). Eventually, Disney bought the whole thing for three or four times what they paid for MARVEL COMICS, and have been in the process of releasing a TON more stuff, this time without Lucas' involvement.

There's probably more "Canon" supplemental material to Star Wars than anything else, ever. It created a virtual cottage industry of Novels, none of which I've ever read. I heard about them in Middle School, but my friends weren't nerdy enough to be into them, so I have no idea what they're like. Apparently they're rather infamous for Mary Sues and random embellishments, often going into INSANE detail about guys who show up in the movies for all of five seconds, and they've pretty much been dropped from "canon" standing EONS ago. The Thrawn Trilogy is almost universally liked, however. Dark Horse Comics also had a pretty successful line of books based around the "Prequel" Universe (and a few set after the original Trilogy), so many that it seemed like DH's ENTIRE OUTPUT was Star Wars, but now Marvel's got the rights back (owing to their being owned by the same parent company).

A lot of the lore kinda... falls apart a bit. Luke & Leia being siblings is CLEARLY not an idea until the third movie (sure hope they don't add in character relations in the third part of a trilogy anymore!), given their weird kiss in the second one. Obi-Wan Kenobi acts in disguise by dressing in what we later see are Jedi Robes, keeping his last name and living next to Vader's relatives with a kid with VADER's last name. He's in hiding. Palpatine showcases never-before-seen powers and has zero backstory in the entire original set. This only gets worse and worse with time, as the Prequels indicate that well-learned people think the Jedi are a myth, even though they died out only a generation ago (Luke is born and enters young adulthood in the gap between Trilogies), many of the characters turn out to have unecessary relations with each other, and more. It's better to think of everything more as a "Rule Of Fun" universe than something that's supposed to make a ton of narrative sense.

So yeah, Star Wars is awesome. I actually didn't watch it that much as a kid- I'm not sure if my family even owned the VHS tapes. I remember watching the first bit of Return of the Jedi as my introduction to things (I recall having some odd feeling about that Leia girl and her outfit, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was...), but I'd watch them a few times over the years. I stood in line for an hour to get into the re-release of The Empire Strikes Back, but that was the only one of those edited movies I saw (it was great fun at first, but when I realized that ONLY the "upgraded" ones were available to buy, I thought it was lame). So I'm a fan, but not like a SUPER-fan- I don't own any of the films or toys or anything like that. I just like them for what they are- classic Hollywood-style entertainment, with some great characters, great dialogue and great effects. I think they're better than the Lord of the Rings movies (oh, the online debates I've had over that), which are a bit too long and feature too many dull characters (Sauron is as generic a villain as their ever was, there's too many Hobbits, and the Elf & Dwarf are almost a note short of "one-note"). And really, their impact on Pop Culture cannot be denied- pretty much everyone is familiar with a good portion of the original Trilogy at least, so there's almost zero chance someone you're talking to won't get an "I am your father!" or "Lightsaber" reference.

For this set, I'm mainly doing the Film series characters, plus some from the Star Wars Rebels show (it's okay... not as good as I was hoping, though. It does have that great scene where DARTH VADER runs in and essentially wipes out the entire team with ease). Not many novel characters, though.

Now, as it's been a little over four years since I last posted Star Wars builds, I've got a bit MORE to go on. This will feature the first time we've seen the Sequel Trilogy detailed on here, I believe. There will also be builds focused on Rogue One, Solo and The Mandalorian, though I've only seen a tiny bit of some of those, so they'll be borderline "Researched Builds" and that's it.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Star Wars was THE thing for me when I was a kid. I had action figures (still have some), vehicles, playsets. I had an audio book (in 1980!) that was a little record that I played over and over again until I had every word memorized. I have almost every book published from the Thrawn trilogy up to the end of the New Jedi Order/Vong invasion. I was one of approximately 5 people to actually buy cards for the original Star Wars CCG.

And yet, I grew out of it in the 2000s. The prequels didn't have the same magic as the original trilogy. I think they get more hate than they deserve but plainly there was something missing. I haven't been excited about anything that's come out since Disney took over. It's been one underwhelming product after another.

The reason so many bit characters end up getting focus in one place or another is because there's so much room for them to grow. It's a less is more phenomenon. The hint of more is what makes Star Wars so fascinating. They showed just enough to spark your imagination and let each viewer fill in the rest. If you fill in too much detail, the mystery goes away and it's as exciting as a history book (apologies to history buffs). That's what drives me nuts about the "everything must be explained" culture that we seem to be in right now.

Sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent at the end there. I love Star Wars and I'm really looking forward to this set of builds.
RUSCHE

Re: Star Wars

Post by RUSCHE »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:30 pm Image

STAR WARS:

-So this was a thing that got pretty popular.

-But really, it's hard to even find a way to START with the Star Wars franchise- it started off as just this pipe dream sci-fi movie by George Lucas (then getting a good rep for movies like the excellent American Graffiti- one of the major instigators of the '50s nostalgia during the 1970s), was made with a bunch of actors who thought it was a bit silly, and then ended up EXPLODING, becoming one of the biggest hits of all time. And then it had two sequels, each of which did gangbusters as well, and setting off a whole new era of blockbusters. Taking a bunch of stuff from all kinds of different sources (Kurosawa Samurai movies, Korean manwha comics, etc.), Lucas ended up creating this Pop Cultural touchstone- soon everybody was obsessed with Laser Weapons, Jedi, Darth Vader and all sorts of cool new alien races. Kids bought so many of the toys that a brand-new industry was created: Merchandise-Driven Cartoons soon sprouted up all over the place to copy the success Kenner had with their Star Wars line of figures (they remain some of the most sought-after toys ever). You can pretty much trace Ninja Turtles, G.I. Joe, Transformers, He-Man and Thundercats all back to this, in addition to the Sci-Fi Boom of the era. Hell, Star Wars is responsible for the continued existence of MARVEL of all things- they were ready for bankruptcy in the late 1970s, until they lucked out, got the Star Wars license, and made a killing.

It's a bit hard to figure out just what made everyone go SO crazy over this series of films. In one way, they're a bit clunky- the dialogue could get iffy in parts ("You can WRITE this shit, George," Harrison Ford told him, "but you can't SAY it."), the moral drama simplistic (there's even a "Light Side" and a "Dark Side" of the core ethos of the universe), the acting a bit wooden and/or over-the-top, the Stormtroopers are so comically-imcompetent that thety're the iconic Useless Mooks, etc. But as a whole, the thing was EXCEPTIONALLY well-made. One thing I notice in retrospect, is that like a lot of good movies, the thing is comprised largely of big, iconic Set-Pieces and backdrops that go all over the place. Rather than just leave people sitting around in one area talking together, the movie shows you the moisture farm, the big Jawa thing, the Tusken Raiders, the famous Mos Eisley cantina, the Star Destroyers, and more. Hell, the thing STARTS with one of the most-iconic chases of all time, as a tiny vessel is hounded by this ENORMOUS Star Destroyer.

The entire world seems to function of "Rule of Cool". The bad guys want to establish dominance? They build a spaceship the size of a small moon and have it blow up planets. The villainous mooks dress up with skull motifs and wear stark black & white. Darth Vader wants to be a bad-ass? He starts slaughtering his minions for displeasing him. You throw guys with Psychic Powers into a world of science fiction laser guns. The spaceships all act like World War II fighter aircraft with hand-operated guns on platforms because it looks more cool that way. Jedi make Sword Nerds cry by adding fifteen spins per slice. The crime-boss Han Solo owes money is a literal drooling slug monster with a 50-foot-tall monster in his basement, and he executes people with either that or a carnivorous hole in the ground.

Nothing is wasted: rather than just make a standard escape and start shooting their way out, the heroes get stuck in a garbage disposal thing and fight a giant Garbage Snake. Why? Because it's just another different piece of action, that's why! And this is just the first movie! In the sequels, we get the swamps of Dagobah, the ice fields of Hoth, the forest moon of Endor, multiple space battles that are all different, etc. Other films that pull off stuff like this include Finding Nemo (A LOT of distinctive sets here- the Turtle Vortex, the Dentist's Office, the Coral, the ship with the sharks, the Seagulls, etc.), Toy Story (Pizza Planet, Sid's house, Andy's room, etc.), and even Transformers: The Movie (where the big Autobot/Decepticon War and Unicron take a back seat to random events like a fight on a Planet of Junk and fighting underwater mechanical creatures, then facing off against evil Quintesson Judges and Sharkticons). I think it's a sign a film is well-made when EVERY SCENE remains distinctive for one reason or another.

The VEHICLES in the series are even kept different and distinct- the Millennium Falcon, TIE Fighters, X-Wings and more are huge stand-outs: the excellent miniature designs make this franchise have the most-iconic bunch of ships ever. I also liked how GRITTY everything looked- this wasn't any Star Trek, full of pretty, smooth machines- these things saw use, and showed their age. No other franchise could even come CLOSE. Rather than stick a bunch of Rubber Forehead Aliens around, Star Wars gives you giant Wookiees, tiny Ewoks, Droids all over the place, Jawas, Ithorians and all sorts of other weird stuff- again making things stand out. The Special Effects basically made this film as much as anything. Even the SOUND effects and the MUSIC are top of the line- pretty much everyone knows the sounds the lasers make, that "whirr" of flying vehicles, the "Lightsaber Effect" and more, and the soundtrack just makes the whole thing. Basically, even with a handful of flaws, the rest of the people working on the film- set designers, puppeteers, F/X guys, miniature builders and musicans, etc., were so damn good at their jobs that they made an unforgettable pieice of work.

There's great Character Naming here, too- you can't forget stuff like "Luke Skywalker" or "Han Solo". And despite a cast of "recognizable names" that is positively ENORMOUS (even moreso if you read the supplemental materials about the background nobodies), but there's great Economy of Character here, as well. The Main Group could almost be overwhelming, but it basically consists of The Young Hero (Luke), The Mentor (Obi-Wan), The Chick (Leia), and The Rogue (Han) as the only major characters- Chewbacca, C-3P0 & R2-D2 are distinctive and memorable characters, but two don't even really SPEAK, and they're all basically Sidekicks. So the group never gets overwhelmingly-large or feels like there's too many people sitting around (compare this to Lord of the Rings, which really has two Hobbits too many). Of the villains, we only get two in the first movie that matter (Tarkin & Vader), a side character in the middle (Lando), and Jabba & The Emperor rounding things out.

And yet EVERY CHARACTER stands out. Lando is his own character, but he has this servant going around with him (Lobot) who remains well-known simply because he has cyborg stuff on his head. There's Jabba's Twi'lek goon, that ugly monster by his tail, that pig thing, about a half-dozen unique animals never seen before, and more. Even Princess Leia subverts your expectations- how many Rescued Princesses back then acted like total bitches to their rescuers, then grabbed a gun and started blasting away? And in Darth Vader, Lucas & Co. created one of cinema's great bad guys- a powerful, threatening, iconic figure that almost ran away with all the movie's press! Even characters who look like idiots on-screen, like the infamous Boba Fett, have an entire industry built around their exploits.

It was big enough to get major-league "Re-Releases" in the '90s that saw CGI upgrades and some new (mostly-lame) scenes, including the infamous "Greedo Shoots First" edit (that looks very weird, like it just doesn't "fit" properly with the body language. Also, how did Greedo MISS from that distance?). A few cartoon series have come out (the best one is the Clone Wars one done by the Samurai Jack crew, though they did a CGI one that I only saw once. It was OK). And of course the infamous "Prequels" (several years in, Lucas suddenly went "Oh the series actually started with Part IV, not Part I), where Lucas went Full CGI, wrote some of the worst dialogue to hit a major Hollywood production, and eventually pissed off legions of fans (some parts of the movies are awesome, but other parts include Hayden "So wooden it's an insult to puppets" Christensen, Jake Lloyd, and Jar Jar Binks). Eventually, Disney bought the whole thing for three or four times what they paid for MARVEL COMICS, and have been in the process of releasing a TON more stuff, this time without Lucas' involvement.

There's probably more "Canon" supplemental material to Star Wars than anything else, ever. It created a virtual cottage industry of Novels, none of which I've ever read. I heard about them in Middle School, but my friends weren't nerdy enough to be into them, so I have no idea what they're like. Apparently they're rather infamous for Mary Sues and random embellishments, often going into INSANE detail about guys who show up in the movies for all of five seconds, and they've pretty much been dropped from "canon" standing EONS ago. The Thrawn Trilogy is almost universally liked, however. Dark Horse Comics also had a pretty successful line of books based around the "Prequel" Universe (and a few set after the original Trilogy), so many that it seemed like DH's ENTIRE OUTPUT was Star Wars, but now Marvel's got the rights back (owing to their being owned by the same parent company).

A lot of the lore kinda... falls apart a bit. Luke & Leia being siblings is CLEARLY not an idea until the third movie (sure hope they don't add in character relations in the third part of a trilogy anymore!), given their weird kiss in the second one. Obi-Wan Kenobi acts in disguise by dressing in what we later see are Jedi Robes, keeping his last name and living next to Vader's relatives with a kid with VADER's last name. He's in hiding. Palpatine showcases never-before-seen powers and has zero backstory in the entire original set. This only gets worse and worse with time, as the Prequels indicate that well-learned people think the Jedi are a myth, even though they died out only a generation ago (Luke is born and enters young adulthood in the gap between Trilogies), many of the characters turn out to have unecessary relations with each other, and more. It's better to think of everything more as a "Rule Of Fun" universe than something that's supposed to make a ton of narrative sense.

So yeah, Star Wars is awesome. I actually didn't watch it that much as a kid- I'm not sure if my family even owned the VHS tapes. I remember watching the first bit of Return of the Jedi as my introduction to things (I recall having some odd feeling about that Leia girl and her outfit, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was...), but I'd watch them a few times over the years. I stood in line for an hour to get into the re-release of The Empire Strikes Back, but that was the only one of those edited movies I saw (it was great fun at first, but when I realized that ONLY the "upgraded" ones were available to buy, I thought it was lame). So I'm a fan, but not like a SUPER-fan- I don't own any of the films or toys or anything like that. I just like them for what they are- classic Hollywood-style entertainment, with some great characters, great dialogue and great effects. I think they're better than the Lord of the Rings movies (oh, the online debates I've had over that), which are a bit too long and feature too many dull characters (Sauron is as generic a villain as their ever was, there's too many Hobbits, and the Elf & Dwarf are almost a note short of "one-note"). And really, their impact on Pop Culture cannot be denied- pretty much everyone is familiar with a good portion of the original Trilogy at least, so there's almost zero chance someone you're talking to won't get an "I am your father!" or "Lightsaber" reference.

For this set, I'm mainly doing the Film series characters, plus some from the Star Wars Rebels show (it's okay... not as good as I was hoping, though. It does have that great scene where DARTH VADER runs in and essentially wipes out the entire team with ease). Not many novel characters, though.

Now, as it's been a little over four years since I last posted Star Wars builds, I've got a bit MORE to go on. This will feature the first time we've seen the Sequel Trilogy detailed on here, I believe. There will also be builds focused on Rogue One, Solo and The Mandalorian, though I've only seen a tiny bit of some of those, so they'll be borderline "Researched Builds" and that's it.
I am so looking forward to this.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

I'm not a Star Wars fanboy but I do like it for the most part, I remember watching the original trilogy as a kid but haven't seen them since and for some reason, despite enjoying the majority of what came later, I've had no real desire to watch them again.
I do own the prequal movies and though I don't rate Phantom Menace (except for the Obi-Wan/Darth Maul fight) I actually liked Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, they're not great but they're enjoyable. On a purely athletic level I prefer the look of the republic era clone armour, vehicles and ships, I'm not saying they're better just that I prefer the designs.
Oh, and I've read most of the recent Star Wars comics released by Marvel.
I also own Rogue One, Solo and The Force Awakens, Rogue One was great, Solo was good and though there were certain plot points I didn't like I enjoyed TFA. I decided against buying The Last Jedi after seeing the hatred it got from the fans, at least until I had seen it first and I have to say I agree with them, it was bad. Everything that made the original trilogy iconic and popular seemed to be wiped away as if it was all now meaningless. As I stated above, I'm not a long term fan so it didn't destroy something I've loved since I was a child but as a fanboy of other franchises I completely understand the fans anger and can sympathise with them. A Star Wars movie should never be boring and sadly that's just how I felt during TLJ, bored.
I've not seen The Rise of Skywalker yet.
I'm eagerly awaiting the launch of Disney Plus here in the UK, I'm most looking forward to the Marvel shows but the Star Wars shows (such as The Mandalorian) come a close second.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Stormtroopers

Post by Jabroniville »

IMPERIAL STORMTROOPERS
Role:
Mooks, The Most Iconic Minions of All Time
Group Affiliations: The Galactic Empire
PL 4 (33)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+3)
Expertise (Space Military) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+2)
Technology 2 (+2)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Stormtrooper Gear)

Equipment:
"Laser Blaster" Blast 5 (Extras: Multiattack) (15)

"Stormtrooper Armor"
Protection 2 (Flaws: Limited to Non-Laser Attacks) (1)
Enhanced Skills 2: Intimidation 2 (+4) (1)
"Survival Gear" Immunity 3 (Suffocation 2, Heat, Cold) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (2)
"Utility Belt" 5 Ranks of Assorted Gear (6)

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Laser Blaster +3 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +2 (+4 Armor), Fortitude +2, Will +0

Complications:
Responsibility (The Empire)- Stormtroopers are trained to gladly lay down their lives for the Empire.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (33)

-The most iconic Minions of all time, the Stormtroopers are just as infamous for their lack of accuracy. It's too bad, really- they're some of the COOLEST-LOOKING Minions ever, yet they pretty much never score a hit on any important character, save that one time Han Solo got hurt in ROTJ. They can demolish Rebel Mooks alright, but anyone else and they're just useless. Granted, anyone who's actually seen combat can tell you that it's actually REALLY HARD to hit a moving target (it's a ton different than firing at immobile targets on the range)... but of course all the HEROES can do it. There's a few things here or there where characters are like "That was too easy" (they were allowed to escape the Death Star) or give props to them, especially in the first film ("Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise", followed by Obi-Wan explaining that their escape must have been allowed). But let's just say that there's a reason why the "Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy" is a thing.

-Stormtroopers are descended from the Clone Troopers (but also contain a lot of regular old-fashioned civilians who've been trained for fighting), and are usually the "fist" of the Empire. They're ultra-loyal, and quite intimidating to the locals, but are generally your average Faceless Mooks. Minions like this tend to look as inhuman as possible (Stormtroopers aren't even seen MASKLESS as far as I can remember- they just have these blank masks inspired by the human skull) in order to dehumanize them and make it look "better" that our heroes are essentially massacring scores of human beings. Even in the Sequel Trilogy, we only see the faces of the "Good Guy" Stormtroopers who abandon their posts; all the ones shot by the heroes (now including female voices) are faceless hordes. The Lasers & Lightsabers make their deaths pretty effective as well, since we're watching bloodless carnage.

-Plot-wise, Stormtroopers are just "Mooks", with the Prequels establishing them as the descendants of the Clone Troopers of the Republic (now controlled by the Emperor)... but also recruited from Empire worlds. Luke in particular suggests he'll just join the Empire at some point, until stuff goes down in the first movie.

-Stormtroopers are pretty classic Mooks, making PL 4. It's enough to force the heroes into defensive positions in semi-large numbers, and they can beat OTHER Mooks just fine, but they're not up to snuff against regular heroes. There's a dozen "Canon/Fanon" explanations for just WHY they can never hit anything with those Rifles (going from "the rifles suck at aiming" to "the helmets are impossible to see through"), but needless to say, their aim isn't so great, and heroes with DC 20-23 Dodge aren't going to fear them too much. Their "Armor" is also comically-worthless, as it fails to save anyone from anything, and guns do the same amount of damage as if the troops had been naked. So I figured it's only worth a Save against physical damage like falling or being punched- Lasers & Lightsabers go right through them. Their Will Saves are classic "Mook Level" (Obi-Wan easily does the "Jedi Mind Trick" on a couple), though apparently they've a reputation for never fleeing, and being impossible to bribe.