Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Tauntaun

Post by Jabroniville »

TAUNTAUN
Role:
Odd Mount
PL 4 (47)- Minion Rank 4, Sidekick Rank 10
Normal Version:
PL 2-3
STRENGTH 4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+2)
Perception 5 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Spit) 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Great Endurance

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Extended & Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [4]
Speed 5 (60 mph) [5]
"Tauntaun Spit" Dazzle Visuals 1 [2]
Immunity 2 (Cold, Starvation) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [1]

"Ice Adaptations"
Movement 2 (Environmental Adaptation- Ice Planets, Sure-Footed) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Spit +3 (+1 Ranged Affliction, DC 11)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +2

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Tauntauns cannot speak to humans, nor use their claws to easily manipulate objects.
Enemy (Wampas)- The Tauntauns are the natural prey of Wampas.

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 6 (47)

-Even random ANIMALS seen in the Star Wars series can grow to become iconic household names. The Tauntauns are indigenous to the ice planet Hoth (you have to say it like that every time), and are basically bipedal mammalian/reptilian Ostrich-things. The only time we see them in the film series is during the opening of Empire, where Luke is using one as a riding mount. He and the Tauntaun are attacked by a predatory Wampa, which eats the Tauntaun, forcing Han Solo to mount a rescue. HIS own Tauntaun dies (collapsing from the cold), leading to the famous scene where Han uses Luke's Lightsaber to cut open the Tauntaun's belly and place Luke inside it to keep him warm. Only scene I've ever watched remotely like it, and part of what makes the series so notable.

-Tauntauns are basically Big Fuzzy Ostriches, but can apparently spit like camels. They're built to survive in cold climates, which is why it's so odd that the movie features one DYING FROM THE COLD.
RUSCHE

Re: Tauntaun

Post by RUSCHE »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:46 pm Image

TAUNTAUN
Role:
Odd Mount
PL 4 (47)- Minion Rank 4, Sidekick Rank 10
Normal Version:
PL 2-3
STRENGTH 4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+2)
Perception 5 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Spit) 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Great Endurance

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Extended & Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [4]
Speed 5 (60 mph) [5]
"Tauntaun Spit" Dazzle Visuals 1 [2]
Immunity 2 (Cold, Starvation) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [1]

"Ice Adaptations"
Movement 2 (Environmental Adaptation- Ice Planets, Sure-Footed) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Spit +3 (+1 Ranged Affliction, DC 11)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +2

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Tauntauns cannot speak to humans, nor use their claws to easily manipulate objects.
Enemy (Wampas)- The Tauntauns are the natural prey of Wampas.

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 16 / Defenses: 6 (47)

-Even random ANIMALS seen in the Star Wars series can grow to become iconic household names. The Tauntauns are indigenous to the ice planet Hoth (you have to say it like that every time), and are basically bipedal mammalian/reptilian Ostrich-things. The only time we see them in the film series is during the opening of Empire, where Luke is using one as a riding mount. He and the Tauntaun are attacked by a predatory Wampa, which eats the Tauntaun, forcing Han Solo to mount a rescue. HIS own Tauntaun dies (collapsing from the cold), leading to the famous scene where Han uses Luke's Lightsaber to cut open the Tauntaun's belly and place Luke inside it to keep him warm. Only scene I've ever watched remotely like it, and part of what makes the series so notable.

-Tauntauns are basically Big Fuzzy Ostriches, but can apparently spit like camels. They're built to survive in cold climates, which is why it's so odd that the movie features one DYING FROM THE COLD.
For some reason i always thought the Tauntaun died from exhaustion vs the cold.
Spectrum

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Wedge! Luke Skywalker! Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

Post by Spectrum »

We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Shock

Post by Shock »

RUSCHE wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:07 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:46 pm
The Tauntaun was Worf'd by the cold just to show you how cold it really was.
Gamebook

Post by Gamebook »

I always thought Tauntaun's most resembled kangaroos, but with ram's horns.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Same. I remember calling them kangaroos when I was a little kid.

Granted the AT-ATs were 'robot turtles' to me too.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Shock wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:47 pm
RUSCHE wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:07 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:46 pm
The Tauntaun was Worf'd by the cold just to show you how cold it really was.
Then became the most stence ridden sleeping bag. The indignity of it. Haha.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I'm a little behind but to me R2D2 and C3P0 are particularly important because they're the representatives of the droids, one of the signature features of Star Wars. Without them, droids are just appliances. Their personalities make you wonder about every other droid "I wonder what that one is like".
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Spectrum wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:33 pm Image
How to keep your kid Luke Warm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Wampa

Post by Jabroniville »

WAMPA
Role:
Monstrous Predator
PL 8 (91)- Minion Rank 7, Sidekick Rank 19
Normal Version:
PL 6-8
STRENGTH 6 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+12)
Expertise (Survival) 8 (+9)
Intimidation 13 (+12 Size)
Percpetion 9 (+10)
Stealth 6 (+8, +5 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Close Attack, Diehard, Extraodinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking) [4]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]

"Hoth Predator"
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Arctic) [2]
"White Fur" Enhanced Skills 6: Stealth 6 (+11) (Flaws: Limited to White Areas) [1.5]
Immunity 1 (Cold) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [0.5]

"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]

"Mold Ice" Transform (Ice to Ice) 1 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +8, Fortitude +10, Will +8

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Wampas cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 14 (91)

-A single Wampa is seen in The Empire Strikes Back- it sneaks up on Luke (Jedi can see the future, but apparently don't deserve Danger Sense...) while he's conversing with Rebel HQ, knocks him out, and drags he and his Tauntaun to its cave hideout, where it consumes the beast. Luke, badly scarred (Mark Hamill had been in a car accident before filming the picture, see), manages to get his Lightsaber (via The Force), slices the beast's arm off in one shot, and sees it off. He still would have died on Hoth (thus dooming the entire galaxy) had Han Solo not discovered him.

-I went back and forth on the Wampa's PL a bit- it manages to one-shot Luke (getting a Surprise Attack), but is itself one-shotted by a Lightsaber from a then-PL 9-ish Jedi. It's about the size of a Polar Bear (95% of this build is just my "Polar Bear" build), built more like an Ape, and is able to kill the Ostrich-sized Tauntauns with great ease. I went with PL 8, but they aren't that great defensively, owing to being the Alpha Predators of a sparsely-populated Ice Planet. And also it somehow managed to stick a guy upside-down in ice, for no other reason than to make the scene more distinctive, so it gets a minor Transform effect (maybe it... breathes real hard on the ice, melts it, then refashions it?).
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

catsi563 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:51 am
Spectrum wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:33 pm Image
How to keep your kid Luke Warm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:21 pm
greycrusader wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:13 pm Oh come on, Jab, if it was any good, surely it would have been nominated for an Oscar for Best Animated Film, I mean it can' be as good as Abominable....

Guess who just became DEAD TO ME!?!

Aside from those clearly corrupt old white dudes at the Academy who were bribed and also hate women and diversity, which is the only reason a female-directed movie like Frozen II didn't get a nomination over the boring Toy Story 4!!
Actually, I have yet to see any either Frozen 2 or any of the other animated films which were nominated, but I thought the trailers alone for the former were incredibly impressive, and said so at the time. The Oscars are just inexplicable in terms of their voting process sometime (read: extremely frequently). The nominees every year are a mix of massively praised films, oddball movies which no one saw but got "talked about" a lot, and corny throw-backs that get tossed in for nostalgia's sake, or because someone's favorite aunt really, really liked them. So some really deserving stuff gets pushed out by default. I mean, How to Train Your Dragon 3??? I didn't even realize that came out yet!

All my best.
Jabroniville

TIE Fighters

Post by Jabroniville »

TIE FIGHTER
Role: Evil Starfighter

Baseline Stats: Huge Size, Strength 10, Defense 5, Toughness 11 (14)
Movement: Space Travel 1, Flight 10 (22)
Features: None (0)

Weapons:
"Laser Cannons" Blast 10 (Feats: Extended Range 3) (Extras: Multiattack) (33)

Total Cost: Stats: 14 / Movement: 22 / Features: 0 / Weapons: 33 (49 Equipment Points)

-TIE Fighters are the main vessel of Imperial troops- they're basically Evil Mooks IN SPACE, and get cut down by the dozens by the heroic side. As Ares pointed out in 2014, they give off a sense of the Empire's ethos- they're disposable weapons for disposable troops- guns, a seat, and an engine- they don't even have life support! They are MUCH cheaper than the Rebel spacecraft, owing to their smaller size & Toughness, lack of expensive Shielding, and singular Laser Blasts. Note that a handful of TIEs are more well-armed- Star Wars is big on variability in weapons.

TIE ADVANCED x1
Role: Elite Evil Starfighter

Baseline Stats: Huge Size, Strength 10, Defense 9, Toughness 13 (20)
Movement: Space Travel 1, Flight 10 (22)
Features: None (0)

Weapons:
"Laser Cannons" Blast 12 (Feats: Extended Range 3) (Extras: Multiattack) (39) -- (40)
  • AE: "Cluster Missiles" Blast 12 (Feats: Extended Range 3) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (39)
Total Cost: Stats: 20 / Movement: 22 / Features: 0 / Weapons: 40 (82 Equipment Points)

-The TIE Advanced matches up with the X-Wing much better than the normal TIE does, and is the vessel for more elite pilots, such as Darth Vader himself. It was mainly used in the first Star Wars film in order to make his craft more distinctive and easier to pick out of a crowd of other TIEs, and he doesn't do much flying in later films anyways.
Grenzer

Post by Grenzer »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:46 pm -Tauntauns are basically Big Fuzzy Ostriches, but can apparently spit like camels. They're built to survive in cold climates, which is why it's so odd that the movie features one DYING FROM THE COLD.
I think it is implied that Han rode his poor mount for hours upon hours in one of the worst ice storms in Hoth's recent history, overriding its natural immunities. Just like a camel can eventually be pushed to heat stroke in the desert if the rider is too hard on it, the Tauntaun reached its limit as well. Again, it was a nice bit of realism in an otherwise fantastical setting, and part of what gave the original trilogy so much charm.
Last edited by Grenzer on Mon May 25, 2020 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: TIE Fighters

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:59 am -TIE Fighters are the main vessel of Imperial troops- they're basically Evil Mooks IN SPACE, and get cut down by the dozens by the heroic side. As Ares pointed out in 2014, they give off a sense of the Empire's ethos- they're disposable weapons for disposable troops- guns, a seat, and an engine- they don't even have life support! They are MUCH cheaper than the Rebel spacecraft, owing to their smaller size & Toughness, lack of expensive Shielding, and singular Laser Blasts. Note that a handful of TIEs are more well-armed- Star Wars is big on variability in weapons.
Yep, TIE Fighters basically show the Empire's entire logic in a single space craft. Solid speed and weapons, but no life support and no Hyperdrive, not even a slot for a droid to be docked. It kept people from deserting because you needed life support gear to fly one and, as Obi-Wan pointed out, they're effectively short ranged fighters. They can only get so far without a hyperdrive before their air or fuel runs out. They were meant to be mass produced and essentially swarm their opponents, taking them out with superior numbers. You got a really good example of this in both Return of the Jedi and Rogue One, where the TIE's almost blot out the entire screen with their sheer numbers.

The thing with TIE Fighters is that their pilots generally fell into two extremes: sub-standard pilots who were easily disposable, and the pilots that managed to survive and get good at piloting. The hard limitations made the really good TIE pilots a match for the best Alliance pilots, and could be a real handful.

Incidentally, the reason why Astromechs were placed in starfighters were several fold. They could actually help the pilot with piloting, aiming or firing, as well as perform on-the-spot repairs, hyperdrive calculations, and other features. Basically, if the pilot needed to focus on fancy maneuvers, he could let his droid do the shooting while he drove the plane, or if more precise firing was needed, the droid could pilot while he took the shot.

If I were every going to run a Star Wars game, I'd allow Astromechs to be player characters, and if docked into a ship, could effectively be Team Attacking/Teamworking with their pilot in various ways.

-The TIE Advanced matches up with the X-Wing much better than the normal TIE does, and is the vessel for more elite pilots, such as Darth Vader himself. It was mainly used in the first Star Wars film in order to make his craft more distinctive and easier to pick out of a crowd of other TIEs, and he doesn't do much flying in later films anyways.
The TIE Advanced, in cannon, was actually one of the few times aspects of his Anakin Skywalker personality would come to the forefront. He personally modified and maintained the ship himself, trusting no one else with the job. It's also why his TIE Advanced had things like shields and a hyperdrive.

Maintaining, improving and repairing the ship was a kind of "moving meditation" for him, and it was one of the only times he was almost happy. Flying was still a thrill for him, and REBELS showcased that he was still basically the best pilot in the galaxy, decimating an entire Rebel fleet basically by himself.

REBELS had its flaws, but they definitely gave Vader the respect he deserved.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.