Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Chewbacca

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:23 pm CHEWBACCA
Amusingly, apparently Peter Mayhew spoke all of his lines in English on-set, and with a very distinctly English accent.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Obi-Wan Kenobi! Han Solo! Millennium Falcon! Chewbacca!)

Post by Ares »

For all its faults, the EU treated Chewie's death with the gravitas it deserved.

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

For all that the idea of Chewbacca being able to hurl said children out of the way of a falling moon was kind of silly... and boy did Salvatore get a lot of hate-mail over killing Chewy.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

One of my Friends played Rowook a wookie in several star wars games with me and other frirends. Rowook would become famous or Infamous for the Wookie in the closet routine we pulled, and for in one fight ripping an alien brutes arm off and heating him to death with the wet end
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:07 pm
Amusingly, apparently Peter Mayhew spoke all of his lines in English on-set, and with a very distinctly English accent.
Equally amusing, and related, is the footage of David Prowse speaking Darth Vader's lines before James Earl Jones dubbed them over.
Last edited by KorokoMystia on Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Chewie was such a fun character. In my head, it was Chewie that talked Han into going back to help at the Death Star. He seemed to be the only one that was able to keep Han's ego in check. As a good best friend, he laughed at Han's misfortunes when appropriate. I think it said a lot in Return of the Jedi when they were infiltrating Endor, that Chewie was the one flying the shuttle. Who else would Han have trusted to do that?

And I think he had the most moving scene in Rise of Skywalker when he was told about Leia. That one got me a little misty.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Shock wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:21 pm Chewie was such a fun character. In my head, it was Chewie that talked Han into going back to help at the Death Star. He seemed to be the only one that was able to keep Han's ego in check. As a good best friend, he laughed at Han's misfortunes when appropriate. I think it said a lot in Return of the Jedi when they were infiltrating Endor, that Chewie was the one flying the shuttle. Who else would Han have trusted to do that?

And I think he had the most moving scene in Rise of Skywalker when he was told about Leia. That one got me a little misty.
Me as well but made even more so by him getting the medal he should've gotten in ep 4 thus once again ROS coming full circle back to the original trilogy
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

KorokoMystia wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:21 pm
FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:07 pm
Equally amusing, and related, is the footage of David Prowse speaking Darth Vader's lines before James Earl Jones dubbed them over.
'The force be strong with this'un!'

There's a video on YouTube called 'Snatch Wars' which I found quite funny, it's audio of the lines said by the character 'Bricktop' from the movie 'Snatch' dubbed over scenes featuring Darth Vader.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Wookiees

Post by Jabroniville »

WOOKIEES
Role:
Warrior Race
Group Affiliations: The Wookiee Race
PL 6 (72)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)
Technology 2 (+2)
Vehicles 2 (+2)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Equipment 2 (Spear, Blasters +5), Fast Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Powers:
"Wookiee Physiology"
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Jungle Worlds) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Blasters +6 (+4-5 Ranged Damage, DC 19-20)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +2

Complications:
Disabled (Semi-Mute)- Only people who understand their growls can comprehend what Wookiees are saying.
Temper- Wookiees are famously-temperamental. They can usually be sweet and calm, but if they lose a contest, they'll tear your arms out.
Responsibility (Honor)- Wookiees are forbidden from using their claws in combat.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 9 (72)

-Wookiees became iconic to Star Wars pretty quickly, and were actually supposed to be a much bigger part of the franchise than they ended up being (after all, Chewbacca's the only REAL ALIEN of the Main Party!). There was initially supposed to be a battle involving dozens of Wookiees in A New Hope, and the Battle of Endor in Return of the Jedi was also supposed to feature them. However, Lucas felt that the "Stone Age Technology" culture he was imagining in the battle didn't jibe with Chewbacca's technological acumen, and so "Ewoks" (note the linguistic similarity to "Wookiee") were used instead. As a popular race, the tendency of Star Wars fans to act like DC fans and mix & match races with super-powered armies (see: Daxamite & Kryptonian Green Lanterns) creates a lot of "Wookiee Jedi", to the point where the Expanded Universe contains THREE of them- Lucas finally got sick of it and nixed the concept, ordering "No Wookiee Jedi". It just looks a little silly, I'll admit.

-Chewbacca is actually a little plain for his race, it turns out- he's kept a simple, monochromatic brown, while others show varying lengths of fur, braids, and a few types of shades, though the vast majority are just brown.

-Wookiees are a powerful, PL 6 race, and elites can be even MORE hardcore.
Jabroniville

Greedo

Post by Jabroniville »

GREEDO
Role:
Bad Shot, Bounty Hunter
Group Affiliations: Assorted Organizations
PL 6 (74)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8)
Expertise (Bounty Hunter) 4 (+4)
Investigation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 3 (+3)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Blaster Rifle +6, Assorted Gear), Improved Critical (Blaster), Languages (A Few), Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 2, Tracking

Powers:
"Rodian Physiology"
Senses 3 (Infravision, Acute & Extended Scent) [3]
"Arboreal Lifestyle" Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Arboreal) [2]
"Suction Cup-Tipped Fingers" Enhanced Strength 1 (Flaws: Limited to Grappling People & Objects) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Laser Blaster +6 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Seriously, it's IN HIS NAME.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 10 (74)

-Greedo, initially just a bad guy to help establish Han Solo's character and the overall nature of the Star Wars universe- that there's weird-looking, non-English-speaking aliens out there, that the world is very gritty and dangerous, and that Han isn't your typical hero (ie. he would shoot a man dead with no difficulty, if someone even REMOTELY threatened him), was part of the most infamous aspect of the "Enhanced" Star Wars movies- the altering of specific scenes. In the NEWER edition, Greedo is not shot dead under the table just for indirectly-threatening Han, but he actually TAKES THE FIRST SHOT, someone missing a target from five feet away, then getting shot to death in return. Han barely even MOVES as the shot is taken, so Greedo looks like an idiot, and Han's Establishing Character Moment is now that he will kill in self-defense, which EVERY hero in the movies does. "Han Shot First" has since gone on to become a meme that even NON-nerds understand and appreciate, and it's become extremely notorious.

-Greedo himself was just a buffoon, with even the EU stuff going into detail about how much he sucked. As such, he takes the Bounty Hunter Template, and LOWERS IT- PL 6 might even be too good for him.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Yeah Greedo was a schmuck. I think you're probably giving him too much credit. I wouldn't put him much above a standard mook.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

The Disney+ version released this year even includes ANOTHER nonsensical edit to the Han/Greedo scene, with Greedo inexplicably shouting "Maclunkey!" right before the shooting. Something intersting: A Rodian named "Greedo" appears in The Phantom Menace in a deleted scene, and was orginally supposed to be the same guy. The EU retconned it into being his father, but by The Clone Wars cartoon, he'd been re-retconned into being the same Greedo all along.
Jabroniville

Bounty Hunters

Post by Jabroniville »

BOUNTY HUNTER TEMPLATE
Role:
Background Baddies, Bounty Hunters
Group Affiliations: Assorted Organizations
PL 7 (88)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8)
Expertise (Bounty Hunter) 6 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Investigation 5 (+6)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+6)
Technology 3 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Blaster Rifle +6, Body Armor +1, Assorted Gear), Improved Critical (Blaster), Languages (A Few), Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 4, Tracking

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Laser Blaster +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+4 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 13 (88)

-These guys pop up frequently in the Expanded Universe, all thanks to that scene in Empire in which you can see a handful of guys surrounding Boba Fett, all gunning for the bounty on Han Solo. The most-distinctive of them was Bossk, a giant lizard-guy with a stupid head and goofy arms, who as a NAMED CHARACTER who SURVIVES ends up having what Batgirl III has called a Sigmarillion-length backstory, like most of the weird side characters in the franchise.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I always thought the lineup of Bounty Hunters from Empire was pretty neat, despite their minor appearances. Dengar is the most amusing to me, because you have all these strange-looking aliens and droids in the lineup..and some scarred guy wearing a turban.
Jabroniville

Boba Fett

Post by Jabroniville »

BOBA FETT
Role:
The Most Popular Jobber of All Time, Memetic Bad-Ass, Ensemble Darkhorse
Group Affiliations: None
PL 9 (156)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 7 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Intergalactic Bounty Hunter) 10 (+13)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Investigation 6 (+9)
Perception 7 (+10)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 5 (+8)
Vehicles 8 (+13)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Benefit (Reputation), Diehard, Equipment 26 (Gear, Slave I), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Lasers), Improved Initiative, Languages (Various), Move-By Action, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Tracking, Ranged Attack 7

Equipment:
"Carbine Rifle" Blast 6 (Feats: Extended Range 2) (Extras: Multiattack) (20) -- (24)
  • AE: "Flame Projector" Damage 6 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cone +1/4) (8)
  • AE: "Smaller Laser Pistol" Blast 4 (8)
  • AE: "Stun Darts" Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Diminished Range -2) (16)
  • AE: "Mini-Rockets" Blast 8 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5 Uses) (12)
"Mandalorian Armor"
Protection 2 (2)
"Survival Gear" Immunity 4 (Suffocation 2, Heat, Cold) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (2)
"Link With Slave I" Features 1: Linkup With Ship (1)
Senses 5 (Low-Light & Extended Vision 2, Radius Sight, Infravision) (5)
"Utility Belt" Grappling Hook, etc. (5)

"Jetpack" Flight 6 (Flaws: Fades) (6)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Carbine Rifle +12 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Stun Darts +12 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Flame Projector +6 Area (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Mini-Rockets +8 Area (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+6 Armor), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (The Law)- Boba Fett is a Bounty Hunter, and believes this is some sort of honorable occupation meant to create social order. Sometimes however, he's just greedy.
Enemy (Han Solo)- Fett does not like Solo, believing him to be a rebellious rulebreaker.
Enemy (Jedi)- Fett watched his father Jango slain by Master Mace Windu when he was just a boy. He hated all Jedi, and Windu especially, for years.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 58--29 / Advantages: 45 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 16 (156)

-I've gone into detail before about how important it is in a visual medium to LOOK COOL. And never was that more true than with Boba Fett- he showed up with a group of Bounty Hunters in The Empire Strikes Back, got the most focus of them (all of FOUR LINES of dialogue!), but died like a Jobber in the next film (his only line: "What the-- *SCREAM*!"), all without ever showing his face, or any real characterization! And yet he's a freaking HOUSEHOLD NAME, a legendary character, gets a ton of focus in the Prequels, and was mentioned for his own FEATURE FILM! All because they just happened to give him some of the coolest-looking armor in history. And now his name has been given to the tendency of cool-looking baddies to get a lot of hype... then amount to dick-all: "Boba Fett Syndrome".

-The character was initially supposed to be an Elite Stormtrooper with special armor- his gear was meant to be as black & white as theirs was (this is obviously the origin for Captain Phasma in the Sequel Trilogy). Initial tests for Empire Strikes Back show his armor as pure white, and the creators indicated that they saw him as "just one of the minions". But for all the hype, he's scarcely given anything to do in the movies- he's seen as the guy who tracked the Rebels to Cloud City, and his most "bad-ass" moment is hissing something at Darth Vader ("He's no good to me DEAD.") and not getting killed for it- Vader merery lectures him that he'll be adequately paid if Han dies in the carbonite. And then in Return of the Jedi he fights Luke, gets his jetpack damaged, and flies like an idiot into the Sarlacc Pit- a hilariously ignominious end that is a sticking point for the haters.

-Boba Fett's history is insanely-detailed for someone so minor, as the Expanded Universe took his popularity and RAN with it, turning him into this glorious hero. He's the Cloned son of the Mandalorian Jango Fett, trained with his dad as a boy (and learned more from a book his father had given him), and it turns out he SURVIVED being thrown into the Sarlacc Pit in Jedi, being the only person in history to do so. He fights his way out of the beast, becomes the leader of Mandalore (his people, like Fett, have been turned into Memetic Badasses), and even an ALLY to the heroes, including Han Solo! He's been given a strong sense of morality and justice for a Bounty Hunter, as well. All from basically being a cool-looking Mook with a handful of lines. This has, of course, created a bit of an eye-rolling backlash among fans who are sick of hearing about a Glorified Minion who never won a single fight on screen- the fact that Star Wars now has a TON of these idiots only makes this funnier with time.

-Lesson Learned: If you want people to like your character, make them look cool. Looking cool makes people forgive ALL of that bullshit, and may actually turn your character into a beloved launcher of a million pieces of merch against your own freaking intentions!

-Boba Fett is a bit tricky to figure out PL-wise, as his reputation alone makes him out to be this supreme bad-ass, yet he goes down like a Jobber in ROTJ. He clearly improves a bit after that, as the Expanded Universe gives him feat after feat- he's basically The Punisher In Space after a point. His "continued adventures" imply a PL 10 Bad-Ass (he even fights DARTH VADER, and uses intelligence and tactics to gain the advantage), but he's more like PL 8 in the movies. I'll stick him in the middle for the time being.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.