Small Town Heroes (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Spectrum

Re: Small Town Heroes (IC)

Post by Spectrum »

Meghan Monroe

A step back, moving into a loose position in case things started to get out of hand.

"Well, I don't know about skipping school. It's more like one of those mornings where you get up super early to get ready for school and then realize that it's a Saturday.. just in reverse. I really thought that school started today!" she protests.

But.. mood whiplash as she was being praised for taking the initiative in taking off school. Like, what ever she did yesterday was heroic and stuffs? She just had fun intensely goofing off. Yeah, she might have helped a few people along the way, but that was just like normal stuff. Right? Maybe this whole superhero thing was going to come easier for her than she might have expected. Huh. Go team Meghan!

But there is a mission now. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and opened them again in a whole new world. She wasn't just in a boring school and being part of the herd. No, no she was on a mission to infiltrate the gathering of 'bad guys' and discover their secrets. Or something. The principle was well, he wasn't as lame as she expected.

With a backwards wave and a wink, she starts to sneak away into the evil fortress. Now, which of the two methods would she take? Would she do the social infiltration thing and fit into the crowd? Or would she take the Mark of the Ninja route and hide among the terrain as she snuck closer. Nobody ever looked up, right?
Dice stuff wrote:She's going to use her 'Parkour' ability Stealth: : 1D20+8 = [13]+8 = 21 Acrobatics/contortion: : 1D20+8 = [20]+8 = 28
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

AJ Sullivan
HP: 1; LP: 1; Condition: Normal

Her smile fading a bit, AJ followed along as the mass of students started to make their way down the hall to the assembly.Today wasn't turning out any better than yesterday had.

Bummer.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD frowns to see a squadmate ditching the assembly but he reminds himself that Sarah gets to make her own choices, just like everybody else. He follows to the assembly.

He did resolve to try to keep track of her footfalls against the ground for as long as he could. Maybe he could suss if she got into trouble or not. He would have trouble distinguishing her steps from another with a similar gait and heaviness, but he'd try.
"Something pithy this way comes."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Sarah looks back and thinks they got away clean. "So, what's our destination? People at this school can fly so they probably have cameras on the roof."
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

John WhiteEagle: LAKOTA
HP: 1

John notices Sarah sneaking out. (Well this doesn't bode well for us to bond as a team). He thinks to himself.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

---- Sarah

As Sarah and the gaggle of girls turn to move in the opposite direction, Sarah almost immediately walks slap bang into the teacher herding the students. "Oop, wrong way girls, assembly is this way". With that she takes Sarah by the shoulders and turns her in the correct direction.

"Sorry miss" Lucy says innocently before turning to follow. As she draws alongside Sarah, she rolls her eyes exaggeratedly in her direction. With that Lucy and her followers move into the assembly hall. The sight of the assembly hall is the same as the other day, except this time there is a stern looking woman on the stage, the headmaster was nowhere to be see.

---- Everyone

The woman had a set of horn-rimmed glasses perched on a hooked nose, and was wearing a drab grey suit jacket and skirt. She watches the students file in closely as a couple of other teachers stand near the back of the hall. When all the students were eventually settled down and taken their seats, the woman clears her throat.

"Good morning students, I am vice-principle Crabtree, and I will be taking todays assembly. I will be going over important information for you time beginning here and Green Creek, so pay attention. Your classes will be split between standard school curriculum, covering the important subjects such as English and maths. The second portion will be covering your 'hero' lessons. Some of these will be mandatory, but others will be electives that will allow you to personalise your subjects to your needs. This will have to be discussed with your parents and for form tutors, but largely the choice will be yours. After this assembly, you must go to the reception to pick up your timetable. There will also be a letter for your parents that you must bring back signed tomorrow. It is very important that you do not forget this. Now, normally you would be in class at this time, but this morning a number of the older students and teachers have taken the time to set up a freshers fair for you outside in the school yard. They are taking the time to give you a chance to see what clubs and societies the school has to offer, so take the time to look around and see what they have to offer. Now, if you have any questions that have not been answered yet, fell free to ask them. Don't forget, there are no stupid questions".
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Sarah started looking for cameras when a teacher appears from nowhere. Sarah shrugs as Lucy rolls her eyes and they head into the auditorium.

"Did the assembly end almost before it started?" Sarah says to Lucy. "Couldn't they have just put up some signs and saved the time of having us assemble? And why aren't our assignments here? Why have all of us mob the front office? Nothing around her makes sense."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Meghan

Meghan hadn't made it in time, the door to the auditorium was closed. Leaning in closer, she opened it just a tiny bit, trying to hear if the door was at all squeaky, stopping if she had heard the least noise. If she could manage to peek around the edge, her eyes swept over to the area, trying to figure out where people how people were seated. Even, if she can manage it, to see if there was a way to get inside without being obvious.

What was the mission again? "quick you might be able to sneak into the assembly they are running. Emphasis on sneak, don't forget, heroes need to be able to sneak"."

Yeah, she might be able to look around in there but she couldn't quite figure out a way to enter the room otherwise. She just wasn't that kind of smart, and she hadn't taken Intro to Investigation 101 yet. Maybe that was a first year student class, she didn't know yet. There was a lot that she still needed to learn. Maybe school wasn't going to be too bad this year. Maybe these teachers were finally going to figure out how to help her with her learning difficulties rather than just making it someone else's problems. Fat chance.

But she was a hero, right? She was going to find a way to get into the room. So she stood by and listened, trying to pick up what she could, trying to judge the crowd, trying to judge the noise from what she could seen around the edge of the door, trying to find that perfect moment to slip past the door.

She knew that she could go faster than the eye to be seen if she could get past the door. Maybe she could climb up somewhere out of notice- peeking once more towards the ceiling.

Lots of maybes. She was getting anxious to do some.. doing.
Investigation can't be used untrained. With her penalties to intelligence: _: 1D20-2 = [10]-2 = 8
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

Since the start of school at Green Creek, a few days had passed. Considering this was a school that was geared towards powered and exceptional non-humans, things had been uneventful. To be more precise, things had been boring. The first few days of school had been almost identical to what any other state school would offer, right down to the lessons. It seemed that a portion of the school time had to be dedicated to 'regular' studies. Every time a student complained, the current teacher at the time would explain in a bored tone that it was to give them the skills to interact with the real world after school.

However things were about to change. Today was the first day of the 'real' lessons. Today the curriculum began to cover what everyone came here for. According to the posters that could be found on almost every wall, it was also the day that the clubs and societies began their recruitment drives. This also included the few sports teams that the school ran, with their initial tryouts happening around lunchtime.

As with every morning the buses and cars brought the students ferried the students into the car park, and the new formed friends and cliques were quick to gather and chatter about the excitement that the day held. Since the practice teams had been formed, there had been some reorganisation by the school. Some members had been swapped around for others for a variety of reasons. As the members of team C arrive, they are quick to notice that a couple of their number were missing, and had in fact been missing for a couple of days. No one seemed to know where they'd gone, there had been no word from them or the school at any rate.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD Daniels

JD got off the bus, trying not to notice how much it bowed under his weight. It wasn't as much as when that troll student was attending, but still. The tension in the air was palpable. He knew today they could sign up for extra-curriculars. Having been church-schooled most of his life he had only seen and read about things like high-school sports, chess club, debate teams, and math-alons. He only maybe had interest in the first one, but it was neat to know the others existed.
Today was also the day they were supposed to rebalance D-squad to account for those that had to drop out and he was interested to see the new list of his teammates. Would there be another flier? or a squid person? It would be interesting to see.
JD hefts his school bag and heads for the main board to see if the new roster was posted yet and if there was any change to what classroom he was supposed to report to today. He'd been diligent about classes and school. He knew his studies were set behind many of the other kids and stayed up most nights reading and studying til early hours of the morning (not that his body needed much sleep anyway). He welcomed the opportunities to catch up and jumped at any extra credit.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Audrey Yates

Audrey walked slowly into the school after getting off the bus. Most of the other kids were enthusiastic and happy to be here. Even though she had only been in school a few days, it was already proving to be boring as expected. Gym class on the first day had been dangerous. Wh t kind of school treats kids like that? She had been lucky to survive with only a few bruises. As usual, other kids had cooler powers than she did. Oh well, she had promised her parents she would stick it out for the year and that she would pass all her classes and try to stay out of trouble. That last one wasn't working out very well so far. She chuckled slightly at the thought of being sent to the guidance office on her first day. Of course Allison had been part of the freshers fair. It was so embarrassing when Allison called to her and waved. Even worse, she had to have that stupid halo around her. The only bright spot was the school had a glee club. Tryouts were coming up next week. If she got chosen, it would at least give her a reason for wanting to go to school.

Audrey entered the school and went to check the board. The students had been told to check it everyday. A few students had dropped out and there was talk of changing the teams around.

As she scanned the board, she thought about her parents. They were so damn upbeat all the time. Even all the times she got in trouble, they didn't yell at her. It was so frustrating! She had been shocked when her parents had agreed with the judge to have her sent to juvie for a year. Compared to that place, school was at least tolerable. The food was slightly better anyway.

She noticed a kid from one of her classes. Big, strong kid. Had some kind of stone armour power and was super strong. Looked like a jock. He didn't seem to be stuck up or anything though so maybe he was okay.

Feeling obligated, Audrey approached him.

" Uh, hi. You're J.D., right? I'm Audrey. You're in my English Lit class. You probably haven't noticed me though as I sit in the back."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD Daniels

"Audrey..." he says, thinking back, placing the name. It's like watching a mountain incrementally shift. "Sound powers? Right?"

He winces as he remembers something during the testing that first day. "Yeah, those tests aren't for everybody." he says. "I mean, they don't greatly showcase everyone's powers justly." he amends sympathetically.

He thinks more. "A hero family, wasn't it?" he asks. "I only remember because my Uncle sometimes works with capes that are local."
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Audrey Yates

Audrey grimaces slightly at the mention of the tests, her body still aching.

"I'll survive. Just a few bumps and bruises this time. I hope the tests don't get much harder. I don't know why I had to do them anyway. It's not like I plan on being a hero or anything like my parents and I have lame powers. Sometimes I think my parents would be happy if I don't become a supervillain. I would make a terrible supervillain. I hate monologuing. Anyway, at least this school is better than the last place I was at."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Sarah arrives at school via bus as has become the new normal. She sees JD talking to a girl she recognizes as Audrey. Nice girl but kind of a fashion trainwreck. Sarah's never been one for the punk aesthetic. JD on the hand was just in jeans and tee and yet he made it look good. It was probably his physique.

"Hi JD," she said. "Hi Audrey. What's up?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD Daniels

It takes JD a moment, when you have a classmate who involuntarily changes facial features you have to go by other clues to identify them. JD cues in on her voice and fashion sense. "Sarah, well dressed as always. Y'know I appreciate the Earth Tones and they go well with that skin." he smiles.
(JD goes out of his way to remember how people like to be complimented and what they consider their own strengths and weaknesses in an effort to overcome his natural shyness/awkwardness around others. It was easier than remembering random dates in history because he actually cared about people, but the large Southern Gentleman was no mental powerhouse, it was a struggle sometimes.)

"Audrey and I were just discussing where she was in her 'last place'." He says, pitching the conversational ball back to her.