Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Grievous! Ahsoka! Mace Windu! Emperor Palpatine!)

Post by Jabroniville »

drkrash wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:04 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:52 am
drkrash wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:05 pm If the animal builds were a separate thread, would you only be working on that thread while this one lay dormant? Or would you be working on 2 sets (i.e., animals and something else) simultaneously?

I'm reading the Star Wars stuff right now with mild interest (I like the series but I'm not a "fan"), but as always, I'm looking forward to more comic book stuff.
Oh, I would do both simultaneously, probably posting in the Animal one every once in a while. Maybe one build a day or whatever.
Then I definitely say, "go with a new thread." It would be messy otherwise.
Hm, well, if I DID do an "Animal Builds" section in this thread, it'd be the usual 3-4 builds a day. If I split them up, then I'd only post 1 build a day in the "Animal Builds Thread', because otherwise it's just too much building, even for me :).
Jabroniville

Sabine Wren

Post by Jabroniville »

SABINE WREN
Role:
FanFic Character, Intergalactic Graffiti Artist
Group Affiliations: The Rebels
PL 7 (94)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 5 (+6)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Military) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment 4 (Gear), Improved Aim, Languages (A Few), Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 4

Equipment:
"Laser Blaster" Blast 5 (Extras: Multiattack) (15)
"Explosives" Damage 7 (Feats: Triggered- Timers) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (16)
"Armor" Protection 1 (1)

Later replaces Explosives with:
"Electro-Whip" Damage 5 (Feats: Reach 4) (9)
"Jetpack" Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
"Energy Shield" Force Field 2 (Reduced Defenses -2) (0)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Lasers +9 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+4 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Stopping The Empire)

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 16 (94)

-This should have been SO STUPID. A freakin' girl Mandalorian, wearing PINK Boba Fett armor, tearing around the Empire with explosive graffiti? And later on she's Part Of A Great Bloodline, gains an Ancestral Weapon, and it's a one-in-a-million BLACK-BLADED LIGHTSABER? This is the most stupid, FanFiccy nonsense thing every created, and it's probably the greatest compliment I can possibly give this show that they did all this and made the character NOT SUCK. Though I find her the most-bland and forgettable character of the cast (I don't think they even had a Focus Episode on her when I first did these builds in 2014)- everyone else has more notable character traits (Ezra is young and impatient, Zeb is Ben Grimm, Kanan is an underprepared teacher, Hera is sarcastic and bossy, the Droid is a dick). Sabine is just kind of... there. She's an ex-Imperial soldier who turned on her rulers when she saw what they were doing on Mandalore. She acts a bit spiteful, and is defensive about her past, as it caused her to abandon her family.

-Sabine, who got some dolls when Star Wars started targeting girls with their fancy doll line, got a bigger push later on in the show, when the crew goes to Mandalore to see what's going on- a resistance sprouts up against the Empire, and Sabine gains access to an ancient, blade-laded Lightsaber, one of the great "Special Snowflake" weapons in the mythos. But again it's not over the top- she's notably bad with the weapon at first, takes a long time to train under Kanan (freaking out at him for being a terrible trainer in the meantime), and eventually gives it up to someone who can properly lead the resistance. She also makes peace with her family in a rational way, not her formerly standard-issue spiteful way, thus showing greater maturity. In short: Character Development.

-Sabine isn't extremely powerful compared to the your typical Star Wars protagonist, but is good at range, and develops more with time. She gets added gear later on in the series, and even the "Darksaber", which is your standard-issue Lightsaber, though is more snowflake-y:

"Darksaber" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Restricted to Those Trained) [9]
Strength-Damage +6 (Extras: Penetrating 7) (13 points)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (The Emperor! Yoda! Kanan, Ezra, Hera & Sabine!)

Post by Jabroniville »

LOL, it's hilarious how short-winded I used to be compared to now. Look at my original write-up for the Scarlet Witch:
-The Scarlet Witch been all over the place as a character. First, she was a fairly peaceful, non-evil villain under Magneto's rule in the Silver Age Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Then, she did a face turn and became an Avenger in a wildly unpredictable turn (in the good way) later on in the '60s. This lead to a relationship with The Vision (which ran for SEVERAL years in the Avengers title, since they were among the few Avengers not to have their own book), a marriage, a pretty boring Limited Series , children, then it all came crashing down as John Byrne made her go crazy in his Avengers West Coast run. She was cured in the end, but that'd lead to worse things later. She & Vision divorced when he turned into Mr. Data, she brought Wonder Man back from the dead and hooked up with HIM, and then she went nuts one big, final time, destroying the Marvel Universe in the process. OK, really, she just started some REALLY BAD crossovers, but that's an even more heinous crime, isn't it? Time will tell what'll happen to her character, as writers are struggling a bit to give some meaning to the woman whose main character trait now is having Unstoppable Power when she goes crazy. It's gotten to the point where I think the comics character might be poisoned, just as the movie version becomes more popular than ever.
-Me, I just blame it on the impossibility of writing mystic characters in modern times. And the overwhelming urge many writers get to have her beat the villain in the end using some kind of "Deus ex machina" Magic power thingie, instead of real tactics. At least the great Ultron Unlimited story arc had her only pull that off to beat ALKHEMA, and they needed a different trick to take out the big dog.
I mean, that's not NOTHING... but it's like 1/8 of what the updated one will be.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I've been trying to watch Rebels and... ugh.
I'm sorry, it's really not that interesting.
Bridger joins the team as a snotty brat who probably should be trying to run, not trying to demand his cut, then joins because... uh... friendship is magic?
Later the Mandalorian girl comments on how she wants to know what's going on, that she's uncomfortable with putting this much faith in people after she was betrayed by putting too much faith in the wrong people. And this is resolved by Hera telling her that she just needed to have more faith, and not getting to know anything more about the subject.

I get the feeling this was aimed at kids and got the minimum effort from the writers as a result.
There are a lot of points where people make decisions that don't make sense or fit characterization but are necessary for the plot.
I haven't gotten all the way through the first season and I really don't want to at this point. :~P
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I'm shocked as big a Star Wars fan as you has gone this far without seeing it :). It's... well, my praise was hardly GLOWING if the nicest thing I said was "background noise" and "occasionally it's GREAT". Star Wars with time travel will never not seem dumb to me.

But yeah, things are kept simple. Though occasionally there's a mummified corpse or something (I forgot that bit entirely).
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (The Emperor! Yoda! Rebels- Kanan, Ezra & Hera!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:09 pm Hera and the Ghost also made a "blink and you'll miss it" appearance in Rogue One as one of the ships sent to Scarif to rescue the titular team (it can be seen at the left of Rebel flagship when the fleet drops out of hyperspace). At the end of the battle, one of the officers on the deck of the flagship also reports: "Captain Syndulla made the jump to hyperspace".
According to the new canon, the Ghost also fought in the Battle of Endor and a number of other major engagements even coming up again during the rise of the First Order.
Yeah, apparently Hera appears in a LOT of the supporting materials- the only character to do so (as she's the only one not saddled with a metric ton of "baggage" to explain, like the two Jedi active in the "Rebellion" era or the Mandalorian Royalty With The Darksaber. "Twi'lek who hates the Empire" isn't something you have to explain to others, so she fits in as just a distinct Rebel pilot. It helps that she's more generally useful than anyone else.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:11 pm Kanan's voice is also among those of the past Jedi,, though if you aren't familiar with the character the only way you'd know is to see the credits.
I really missed all the voices in that scene, I think- Unduli, Kanan, Windu... I think I only recall a couple of voices.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:04 pm hera was a great character, vanessa marshal really brought strength to the roll and helped make her a very strong character all around

quick side note you may want to add a feature to her that she can use her Lekku (the head tails) to communicate its a known feature of twileks beyond the fact that theyre universally considered attractive
Has that happened in the show and I missed it? I don't remember that ever coming up, and most conversations seemed to happen verbally.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:03 am
catsi563 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:04 pm hera was a great character, vanessa marshal really brought strength to the roll and helped make her a very strong character all around

quick side note you may want to add a feature to her that she can use her Lekku (the head tails) to communicate its a known feature of twileks beyond the fact that theyre universally considered attractive
Has that happened in the show and I missed it? I don't remember that ever coming up, and most conversations seemed to happen verbally.
not in the show specifically but it is a canonical feature of the race per wookiepedia and other sources

all told I grant its a minor feature at that mostly usable by twileks

Society and cultureEdit
The Twi'leks had a language of their own, called Twi'leki, which combined verbal sounds and an elaborate and subtle sign language using their lekku. Twi'lek's lekku could be moved to create gestures that meant things such as hello or goodbye. For example, both lekku tips crossed twice meant "I Love You"
from Freddys RPG gamer.org which uses the D6 game stats

Special Abilities:
Head-tails: Twi'leks can use their head-tails to communicate in secret with each other, even if in a room full of others. The complex movement of the tails is, in a sense, a "secret" language that all Twi'leks are fluent in.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Woodclaw

Re: The Ghost

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:37 am
Woodclaw wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:29 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:10 pm
-The Ghost is a little larger than The Millennium Falcon, and lacks Han Solo's numerous upgrades, but it's still a good ship. AND there's a secondary, smaller Attack Craft called The Phantom attached to it!
Larger?
I thought the ghost was smaller than the Falcon.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Ghost
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Millennium_Falcon

According to this site at least, The Ghost is about 10 meters longer and almost twice as tall. It does seem to have more “standing room”, probably because of it being the home base/setpiece so often.
I probably got fooled by the fact that the Ghost has two decks, making it look bulkier and shorter than the Falcon.
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:01 am
Woodclaw wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:09 pm Hera and the Ghost also made a "blink and you'll miss it" appearance in Rogue One as one of the ships sent to Scarif to rescue the titular team (it can be seen at the left of Rebel flagship when the fleet drops out of hyperspace). At the end of the battle, one of the officers on the deck of the flagship also reports: "Captain Syndulla made the jump to hyperspace".
According to the new canon, the Ghost also fought in the Battle of Endor and a number of other major engagements even coming up again during the rise of the First Order.
Yeah, apparently Hera appears in a LOT of the supporting materials- the only character to do so (as she's the only one not saddled with a metric ton of "baggage" to explain, like the two Jedi active in the "Rebellion" era or the Mandalorian Royalty With The Darksaber. "Twi'lek who hates the Empire" isn't something you have to explain to others, so she fits in as just a distinct Rebel pilot. It helps that she's more generally useful than anyone else.
You have no idea how happy I'm right now.
Over the last 5 years or so I worked to convince one of my players to stop making each and every character he plays into a "Snowflake Edgelord". He keeps saying that this gives him much more to work with, I usually counter by saying that it triples my work as GM to find a good way for him to be present to certain events.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
slade the sniper

Post by slade the sniper »

Woodclaw wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:23 am Over the last 5 years or so I worked to convince one of my players to stop making each and every character he plays into a "Snowflake Edgelord". He keeps saying that this gives him much more to work with, I usually counter by saying that it triples my work as GM to find a good way for him to be present to certain events.
As a GM, my job is to make the world for the PCs to interact with...not make the PCs find a reason to do anything. At the beginning of the campaign the players tell me what they want and I deliver, but of someone is going to play a Snowflake Edgelord...and they can't find a reason to be involved with the same story everyone else is...well, he can be Edgelord over there by himself.

-STS
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I haven't seen any of the sequels, though I'll likely catch them at some point streaming or even on regular cable, but the bit about the frigging EMPEROR returning and revealing Rey is his grandchild, and then trying to turn her to the Dark Side, but having the Vader stand-in turn against him and be "redeemed"...

Yeah, they aren't "sequels"-they're remakes. Sure, they mixed things up a bit, with a more diverse cast and juggling some of the relationships, but same plots, analogues for the original characters, even the exact same "surprise twists".

At least the prequels-which were mostly lousy-tried to do something different.

All my best.
Shock

Post by Shock »

The "copy the old movie and swear you didn't" trick seems to be a JJ Abrams special. Didn't he also swear Star Trek Into Darkness wasn't a Khan movie too?

I was in denial about Force Awakens being a copy of A New Hope but he took it into overdrive for Rise of Skywalker.

From the mid 90s to mid 2000s I was as big a Star Wars fan as you could be. I have just about every book published up to the end of the Vong invasion mega arc. Then I just sort of lost interest. I haven't watched Rebels or Clone Wars and waited weeks to see any of the sequel movies. It wasn't the quality (or lack of) that burned me out. It was just the volume. And other stuff caught my eye.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

slade the sniper wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:29 pm
Woodclaw wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:23 am Over the last 5 years or so I worked to convince one of my players to stop making each and every character he plays into a "Snowflake Edgelord". He keeps saying that this gives him much more to work with, I usually counter by saying that it triples my work as GM to find a good way for him to be present to certain events.
As a GM, my job is to make the world for the PCs to interact with...not make the PCs find a reason to do anything. At the beginning of the campaign the players tell me what they want and I deliver, but of someone is going to play a Snowflake Edgelord...and they can't find a reason to be involved with the same story everyone else is...well, he can be Edgelord over there by himself.

-STS
The problem here isn't presenting the world, it's how the character fit in.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Zeb

Post by Jabroniville »

ZEB (Garazeb Orrelios)
Role:
The Muscle, The Gruff One
Group Affiliations: The Rebels
PL 7 (89)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+9)
Deception 5 (+5)
Expertise (Military) 6 (+7)
Intimidation 6 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Close Attack, Equipment 4 (Gear, Body Armor), Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Lasat Physiology"
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Extended Hearing) [2]

Equipment:
"Lasat Bo Rifle" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (18) -- (19)
AE: "Bo Strike" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Reach, Split) (5)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Bo Rifle Stab +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Bo Rifle +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5 (+6 Armor), Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Stopping The Empire)
Responsibility (Lasat Heritage)- The people of Lasan were one of the more-savaged victims of the Empire.
Rivalry (Ezra)- The two are allies, but Ezra's mouthy nature rubs Zeb the wrong way.
Responsibility (Temper)- Zeb is easily-angered.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 11 (89)

-The "Gruff One" of the cast of Star Wars: Rebels, "Zeb" exists to get into arguments with the mouthy kid Ezra and generally get humiliated by various things. He's effectively like 1960s Ben Grimm- a bit of a misanthrope, but with a good heart. In the early going, he apologetically leaves Ezra to be captured in order to save the rest of the crew ("Sorry kid... You did good!"), but goes along with the rescue campaign. The two still argue constantly however. Though he generally had the least to do out of the heroes, he got the mandatory "Enemy Mine Rip-Off Episode" that all science fiction shows are forced to have, as he ends up on a deserted world with Agent Kallus of the Empire (the very man who brags about killing numerous members of Zeb's race, which is almost wiped out), and they willingly save each other numerous times. Eventually, Kallus becomes a Rebel spy, and is even introduced to Zeb's people, engaging in a few of their rituals as well.

-Zeb is a pretty boring "Strong Guy" archetype and doesn't even seem to be that great at fighting, considering most of the others got upgraded after a point, but he's still the baseline strongest of the crew.