Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Voltron64

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Baze! Chirrut Imwe! K-2SO! Rey! Rinn! Rose!)

Post by Voltron64 »

Personally, can I just say I was perfectly fine with Rose? I mean she was basically a Star Wars version of Firefly’s Kaylee.

Which does make me wonder if Rose has an adorable, frilly pink dress stored somewhere... ;)
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Voltron64 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:56 pm Personally, can I just say I was perfectly fine with Rose? I mean she was basically a Star Wars version of Firefly’s Kaylee.

Which does make me wonder if Rose has an adorable, frilly pink dress stored somewhere... ;)
I'm sorry but I really disagree with your statement. While the starting point was similar, the final result is very different, because Rose and Kaylee interacted with their respective settings were completely different.
Kaylee was the combination of two usually completely unrelated archetypes: the genius mechanic and the starry-eyed mascot. Sure, Joss Whedon explicity told Jewel Staite to gain 10 pounds or so to get the maximum teddy bear effect and avoid the "standard supermodel look", but her character was absolutely integral to the plot and the crew. Kaylee was the conscience of Serenity (up to the point that even Jayne seemed unwilling to hurt her), but this was done in a rather delicate manner. As far as I can remember Kaylee never enforced her ideas on the rest of the crew, except when it came down to maintenance, which was her stomping grounds. She was what kept Serenity flying, but also what prevented the crew from going down a darker path.
Rose, on the other hand felt more like a tag-along, a character that hardly necessary to the plot nor effective in delivering her message. Rian Johnson imagined her as "the angel on Finn's shoulder", but that good idea hardly seems to work. Aside from stunning Finn at the beginning of the movie, effectively preventing him from going back to square one, her role in the plot never seemed essential to me, in fact her final "saviour crash" seemed to contraddict her apparent role. If she was supposed to keep Finn on the straight and narrow, how does preventing him from trying to save everyone else laying down his life for the cause fit into that idea?

Also I would like to talk for a moment about the most pointless element of Rose's character: her sister Paige.
Alas, we know jackshit about Paige since she died in the opening of the movie, during the bombing run, but one of the most relevant details about her (the amulet) was Chekov's gun loaded with blanks. Why? Because all it served in the plot was giving Rose a "personal" reason for electrocuting Finn and there were at least two perfectly viable alternatives:
  1. It's fair to assume that Rose lost a lot of friends in the bombing run, which is already reason enough.
  2. Even without a personal reason, Finn was effectively deserting, so knocking him out was a justified response.
Now, just for giggles, I want you guys to picture out an alternative scenario that would have made Paige's death way more relevant to the plot, even adding a bit of LGBT content without goign overboard. I know this sould fanfic-ish as hell, but what if Paige and Holdo were a couple and the amulet was the equivalent of a wedding ring? All of a sudden Holdo's anger and mistrust toward Poe has a plausible reason and Paige's death becomes an actual Chekov's gun, justifying a significant plot element.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

slade the sniper wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:12 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:06 am I've never so much as looked at a single rule for how piloting vehicles works in the system (Vehicles is, as most people know, the thing I care by far the least about this system, to the point where I've refused to build them any longer- these are just re-posts), so I didn't know Initiative was much of a factor.

To be honest, I never once thought about looking at anyone's actual Vehicles skill and comparing them- I typically only compared attack bonuses, effective PLs, and occasionally the levels of power in the Force. There's a 90% chance that by the time I statted Sebulba, I hadn't even considered what the Vehicles skill of Luke, Boba or Vader was. All I know is that I typically give +10 as a maximum to regular "Good Pilots" and increase that for guys who show great skill (Sebulba was the best Podracer, for example). Someone having a score in the high teens, like Han, is almost unheard-of.

I suppose in Star Wars it's a lot more important to have higher Vehicles skill than almost anything else, but it's hard to figure out who the "Best" pilot is since no important character has ever died in a firefight in space.
May I ask why you dislike vehicles so much? Is it a system thing (M&M), or just a general dislike of vehicles in any game?

I think that M&M has a lot of detail for vehicles and bases that other games don't have and with a bit of focus, vehicle combat can be a major part of the game if the players and GM desire it to be.

-STS
I have to go to work right away so I can't detail it, but in short, vehicles in fiction tend to be the most half-assedly written things on Earth, and always go at what J.M. Scraczynski called "the speed of plot". Or they have the "durability of plot". Or the "gear of Plot". Essentially, even more that character skills, powers, or anything else, vehicles only ever have the exact thing required for any given story- they move as fast as they need to, and are as durable as they need to be. How fast, tough or well-armed they are depends entirely on what they're currently being used for, and any hope of consistency is dumb.

Also, the M&M rules for Vehicles are boring and require a ton of bouncing around and checking stuff. All for something that's really utterly pointless because of the above reasons.
Jabroniville

Captain Phasma

Post by Jabroniville »

CAPTAIN PHASMA
Role:
Elite Mook, The New Boba Fett (and not in the good way)
Group Affiliations: The First Order
PL 7 (91)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Space Military) 7 (+9)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 5 (+8)
Technology 4 (+6)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Benefit (Rank- Elite Stormtrooper Commander), Equipment 5 (Stormtrooper Gear, Baton), Ranged Attack 5

Equipment:
"Laser Blaster" Blast 5 (Extras: Multiattack) (15)

"Stormtrooper Armor"
Protection 2 (Flaws: Limited to Non-Laser Attacks) (1)
Enhanced Skills 2: Intimidation 2 (+4) (1)
"Survival Gear" Immunity 3 (Suffocation 2, Heat, Cold) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (2)
"Utility Belt" 5 Ranks of Assorted Gear (6)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Riot Baton +7 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Laser Blaster +9 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+5 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (The First Order)- Stormtroopers are trained to gladly lay down their lives for the new Empire.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (91)

-Played by the tall chick from Game of Thrones, much was expected of Captain Phasma, who had the all-important "Cool-Looking Elite Mook" thing going on, being this silver-clad Stormtrooper, which looked incredible. But wouldn't ya know the sequels were SO inspired by the Original Trilogy that they straight-up copied Boba Fett all the way down to his "All Talk" reputation, as poor ol' Phasma jobbed out HARD in the first movie, got thrown into the garbage disposal or whatever, and then got blown up in the second, without ever having properly kicked an ass. All she gets to do is knock Finn to his seeming death, turn around to kill Rose, and then get thumped upside the head by a riot control baton and sent to her death in a pit of fire. J.J. Abrams has confessed this it he thing Rian Johnson did that he was most surprised by, though I don't know if I buy it.

-Phasma is little more than a Stormtrooper upgraded to PL 7- good at combat, but not enough that the lowest-tier of the heroes can't defeat her with a good shot or two.
Jabroniville

Zorii Bliss

Post by Jabroniville »

ZORII BLISS
Role:
Mystery Girl, Weird Side Character
Group Affiliations: None

-A strangely-random side character late in the Sequel Trilogy, Zorii Bliss was a permanently-helmeted figure- a woman from Poe Dameron's past, resentful that he abandoned their world and organization. A spice runner with Poe, she tried to capture him, but was impressed by Rey's handling of her goons and decided to work with them instead. They help the gang find the way to Exegol, getting C-3PO's brain rebooted. Finally, she joins the gang in their final assault against the "Final Order" fleet, flirting with Poe a bit to show the possibility of more of a past relationship. Obviously this was too late in the game to really focus on anyone, so it was more of an aside than anything- the character's plain appearance and hidden face probably mean she's doomed to obscurity (I actually forgot her damn name!).

-Zorii was played by Keri Russell, whose career has been a bit odd- she went from a TV breakout star in Felicity, got an infamously bad short haircut that ruined the character's iconic look and actually destroyed the damn show (to this day it's famous for being both a horrible haircut and being the only such 'do to ever ruin a TV show's success), disappeared for like TWENTY YEARS, then all of a sudden popped up in the much-lauded The Americans, showing a lot of skin and apparently a lot of acting skill.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

What's hilarious about Phasma is that the build up for her they tried to play her up as this big villain, supposedly the first film villain in Star Wars (she wasn't, the shapeshifting bounty hunter Zam Wesell in Attack of the Clones was first and probably has as much screen time). And she is the most Do Nothing character in Star Wars. People talk about Boba Fett's undeserved reputation, but Fett at least did things like outwit Han Solo, back sass Vader without hesitation or punishment, and briefly held his own against Luke frickin Skywalker in a fight. Phasma orders Finn around a bit, gets easily captured and essentially bullied by Han, Finn and Chewie, shows up later and has one of the briefest fights in Star Wars.

Seriously, there's a reason why the "TRAITOR!" guy is better remembered than Phasma.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Lol- this article about Felicity’s infamous haircut. Guess whose fault it was?: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/m.eonline.c ... tv-forever
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And speaking of villains, I might as well talk about all of the Red Lightsaber Wielders who aren't Vader, though I'll wait to comment on Kylo Ren

The Emperor: A solid master villain and an appropriate big bad for the Star Wars setting. He's given a slow, gradual introduction in a kind of Sauron-like manner, being mentioned in the first film, appearing as a hologram in the second, and then full on in the final. We're given just enough info to know that this is the bastard that corrupted Anakin Skywalker, destroyed the Jedi, took over the galaxy with an oppressive regime, and is basically responsible for most of the misery in the universe. The films play him as an imposing menace, master manipulator, and the "sorcerer" at the end of the story that needs defeating. And he proves it by whipping out the most directly damaging Force Power yet seen, one that had Luke completely at the Emperor's mercy . . . which also set up for that beautiful redemption moment when Anakin, not Vader, pitches his wrinkled old ass into the Death Star's reactor.

The Prequels, for all their flaws, gave us a great example of Palpatine being this master manipulator, showing that the dude basically won for 5 and a half films out of 6, playing both sides against the middle, corrupting Anakin, and having the Republic basically gift-wrapped to him. He showed his power as both a deadly Force wielder, a master planner, a world-class actor and the ultimate subversive force (pun very much intended).

In the Sequels . . . Palpatine is basically an ass pull because Rian decided to kill Snoke off without explanation, the story that could have logically followed was scrapped because Rian and K.K. wouldn't compromise with him, and J. J. felt that they needed to bring SOME villain to fill the void left by Snoke. And since introducing a brand new one at the last minute would have felt weird, J.J. decided to bank on nostalgia and bring Palpatine back . . . despite it making no sense. Dude was blown up. TWICE. He dead. Double dead.

As a result of his ill conceived return, Palpatine is just kind of . . . THERE. He's brought back solely because he's the only menace that would give the film any degree of actual menace and grandeur, despite it making no sense. So like everything else with the Sequels, they wheeled out an old story beat and completely mishandled it.

Darth Maul: Darth Maul showed that if you're going to be a new villain in a popular franchise, you need to do something to make yourself memorable. And Maul did this by being COOL. He had a cool look, he had a cool weapon, he had a cool fighting style, he was a dangerous menace, he was just cool from start to finish. Some people feel it was a waste to kill him off at the end of the first film, but honestly, he served the purpose he was created for. He was an appropriate menace, supplied a couple of good fight scenes, he killed off Qui-Gon to put the inexperienced Obi-Wan into the mentor role for Anakin, and he allowed for exposition about the Sith Rule of two.

Honestly, I feel Maul should have just stayed dead, but the Clone Wars team decided to bring him back, which lead to him returning for Rebels, where he would finally meet his end. Honestly, his Clone Wars appearances felt more like a waste to me, and I didn't really care for him or his brother. He worked much better in Rebels, functioning as Ezra's shoulder devil, trying to corrupt him while revealing just how batshit insane he was. And the final duel between him and Obi-Wan was just poetry, so it's not like no good came from it.

Overall, I would have preferred Maul staying dead.

Count Dooku: Dooku was interesting to me for several reasons, silly name aside. Christopher Lee manages to give the character some dignity and grandeur even in the minor role he's given, he's the first canonical Jedi we see in the films fall to the Dark Side, showcasing Palpatine's propensity for replacing apprentices, and he's a fun counterpoint to both Maul and Vader. Maul is a warrior and assassin, he lives to fight and that's about it. Vader is brutal, direct, caring little for social niceties or anything beyond seeing his will enacted. Dooku was wealthy, powerful, cultured, a nobleman who was equal parts fallen knight and corrupt aristocracy.

He unfortunately never got to really showcase as much of that in the films, though the Revenge of the Sith novelization and Clone Wars cartoon did a lot to flesh him out. He played well as kind of the opposite of Obi-Wan, a refined and proper Jedi Master who had lost his way and succumbed to darkness.

My one issue with him beyond his short screen time was how extended materials used him to paint the Jedi and the Republic as needlessly corrupt. The Disney era in general did a LOT to make the Republic and Jedi seem like corrupt organizations that needed to be overthrown, when their fall was suppose to be a TRAGEDY. Have there be some corruption in the Republic, some complacency in the Jedi, but nothing that wouldn't have been overcome in time. Dooku is often used to showcase that both were just one hammer tap away from being completely broken.

General Grevious: Oh poor, poor General Grevious. I decided to include him here despite him not wielding a red lightsaber just for convenience, but I've never seen a villain get hit so hard with the Nerf Stick in my life. Introduced as basically a horror movie villain in the cartoons, Grevious' portrayal in the movies is lackluster in comparison. The Clone Wars cartoon tried to split the difference between "Unstoppable powerhouse" and "Underwhelming Coward" by having him be a threat to a single Jedi, but not an overwhelming menace.

The novel actually portrays him as closer to his original appearance, where he can move his hands so quickly that normal people can't perceive them. He named his flasgship The Invisible Hand because whenever he swings a lightsaber, his hand seems to vanish from existence. Mace Windu even states that his duel with Grevious ended in a draw (which was contradicted later by the Clone Wars 2-D cartoon) and that Obi-Wan was actually the best suited to defeat him. It was meant to showcase just how badass Obi-Wan was and why it was believable that he could beat Darth Vader at technically his most powerful point.

Ventress: Ventress was always kind of "meh" to me. She was a decent threat, someone the heroes could lightsaber fight in Clone Wars so as to not make Dooku or Grevious lose credibility, but she was mostly just this sadistic cruel Fallen Jedi who later becomes disillusioned after numerous betrayals and actually tries to reform. The problem is that Ventress reforming should have shown Yoda and Obi-Wan that it was possible to walk away from the Dark Side. Luke pulling Vader back from the Dark Side was treated like a minor miracle, so it should have been that no Dark Sider ever reformed in Yoda's lifetime.

The Inquisitors: The Inquistors work similar to Ventress in Rebels, acting as lightsaber fights for the Jedi heroes so that Darth Vader doesn't lose any credibility fighting the heroes. And indeed, when Vader shows up he demonstrates just how out of their league the heroes are against him. Meanwhile the Inquisitors are just dangerous enough that the heroes don't want to face them, but not the overwhelming menace a Sith Lord would be.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:24 pm
Ares wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:03 pm
FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:53 pm As regards Holdo not disclosing her plan, as I recall it (admittedly, it's been years since I watched The Last Jedi), they weren't certain how the First Order was tracking them, with a strong suspicion that there was at least one spy in their ranks relaying information.
Finn flat out tells everyone there's a hyperspace tracker and the idea of a spy in their midst is never brought up.
Fair enough. I still think it's reasonable to withhold the secret plan when one is uncertain of loyalties. Once Poe does know about it, the Fixer finds out, and therefore so does the First Order.

It would have been better for Holdo to at least outright state that she has a plan, or to even provide a false one that would provide hope and mislead spies (although in the case of Poe, she knows that he will probably go out and try to help with said false plan, thereby wasting more of their limited resources and/or mucking with the real plan), but I can definitely understand her reservations about announcing it to many people. Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead, after all.
Yeah, as you and others have pointed out, a huge issue with her whole attitude is that she comes off as openly ignorant, clueless and moronic, to the point where a desperate crew actually mutinies against her, and only later are we told "Oh, so THIS is the plan".
Jabroniville

General Hux

Post by Jabroniville »

GENERAL ARMITAGE HUX
Role:
Generic Ambitious Empire Guy
Group Affiliations: The First Order

-General Hux is the kind of character who would have probably "been somebody" in the Original Trilogy, probably getting a fun line or two, action like a snot, and dying in a glorious battle that the heroes win. Instead, he's kind of as much a "symbol" for the weak points of the New Trilogy as much as more unpopular characters like Rose. He's just kind of this snivelling, ambitious, snakey jerk, doesn't really do or say anything memorable, and dies in an offhand manner and doesn't really matter that much. His biggest effect on the plot is in the second movie, where his big plan is "we can win by slowing the plot down and not having any cool action scenes". He seems to become the main military guy doing Kylo Ren's bidding, as the two take over the First Order... but then the third movie reveals that there's a military dude above him, and THE EMPEROR is alive, so now he's just some guy. He pulls an "Agent Kallus" and is revealed as the mole for the Resistance in the third movie, which could have led to some fun stuff, but instead he just goes "I don't care if you win; I just want Kylo Ren to LOSE" and gets discovered by a clever Admiral, who executes him on the spot, and we never see the character again. So Hux never really ends up being that entertaining.

-Hux is a bit clever and solid at tactics, but ultimately doesn't do enough fighting to be worth statting.
Jabroniville

General Pryde

Post by Jabroniville »

Did they ever explain why he wasn't just called a "Moff"?

GENERAL ALLEGIANT ENRIC PRYDE
Role:
Generic Empire Guy
Group Affiliations: The First Order/The Final Order

-Pryde here is barely even a character- he's just a "Grand Moff Tarkin" stand-in (complete with British Face and gaunt cheekbones) who turns out to be super-obsessive about his hidden allegiance to Emperor Palpatine. He was suddenly thrown into the very last movie, in a "shit, we need an extra bad guy" moment by J.J. Abrams, and his only real thing is figuring out General Hux is betraying them and executing him. He is killed when his ship, the Steadfast, is blown up by a direct assault from Finn and Jannah, former Stormtroopers.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

The oddest thing about General Pryde is that he easily could've been a pre-existing character, given how they mention that he'd served in the Empire. But nope, he's just brought in completely out of nowhere.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: General Pryde

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:57 am Image

Did they ever explain why he wasn't just called a "Moff"?
Because Moffs were part of the Empire, and the First Order clearly isn't just a rehash of the Empire. It's a totally unique organization with original equipment, troops, structure, goals, etc.

slade the sniper

Post by slade the sniper »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:59 pm I have to go to work right away so I can't detail it, but in short, vehicles in fiction tend to be the most half-assedly written things on Earth, and always go at what J.M. Scraczynski called "the speed of plot". Or they have the "durability of plot". Or the "gear of Plot". Essentially, even more that character skills, powers, or anything else, vehicles only ever have the exact thing required for any given story- they move as fast as they need to, and are as durable as they need to be. How fast, tough or well-armed they are depends entirely on what they're currently being used for, and any hope of consistency is dumb.

Also, the M&M rules for Vehicles are boring and require a ton of bouncing around and checking stuff. All for something that's really utterly pointless because of the above reasons.
I can absolutely understand your point of view. My games are usually very heavily vehicle dependent where their stats actually matter, but I get where you are coming from and I agree that some genres are...very plot driven.
Voltron64 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:56 pm Personally, can I just say I was perfectly fine with Rose?
I feel likewise.
Voltron64 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:56 pmI mean she was basically a Star Wars version of Firefly’s Kaylee.
I heartily disagree...
Woodclaw wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:26 pm I'm sorry but I really disagree with your statement. While the starting point was similar, the final result is very different, because Rose and Kaylee interacted with their respective settings were completely different.
Kaylee was the combination of two usually completely unrelated archetypes: the genius mechanic and the starry-eyed mascot. Sure, Joss Whedon explicity told Jewel Staite to gain 10 pounds or so to get the maximum teddy bear effect and avoid the "standard supermodel look", but her character was absolutely integral to the plot and the crew. Kaylee was the conscience of Serenity (up to the point that even Jayne seemed unwilling to hurt her), but this was done in a rather delicate manner. As far as I can remember Kaylee never enforced her ideas on the rest of the crew, except when it came down to maintenance, which was her stomping grounds. She was what kept Serenity flying, but also what prevented the crew from going down a darker path.
Rose, on the other hand felt more like a tag-along, a character that hardly necessary to the plot nor effective in delivering her message. Rian Johnson imagined her as "the angel on Finn's shoulder", but that good idea hardly seems to work. Aside from stunning Finn at the beginning of the movie, effectively preventing him from going back to square one, her role in the plot never seemed essential to me, in fact her final "saviour crash" seemed to contraddict her apparent role. If she was supposed to keep Finn on the straight and narrow, how does preventing him from trying to save everyone else laying down his life for the cause fit into that idea?

Also I would like to talk for a moment about the most pointless element of Rose's character: her sister Paige.
Alas, we know jackshit about Paige since she died in the opening of the movie, during the bombing run, but one of the most relevant details about her (the amulet) was Chekov's gun loaded with blanks. Why? Because all it served in the plot was giving Rose a "personal" reason for electrocuting Finn and there were at least two perfectly viable alternatives:
  1. It's fair to assume that Rose lost a lot of friends in the bombing run, which is already reason enough.
  2. Even without a personal reason, Finn was effectively deserting, so knocking him out was a justified response.
Now, just for giggles, I want you guys to picture out an alternative scenario that would have made Paige's death way more relevant to the plot, even adding a bit of LGBT content without goign overboard. I know this sould fanfic-ish as hell, but what if Paige and Holdo were a couple and the amulet was the equivalent of a wedding ring? All of a sudden Holdo's anger and mistrust toward Poe has a plausible reason and Paige's death becomes an actual Chekov's gun, justifying a significant plot element.
Paige was the best part of Rose's character. Paige DID stuff without being whiny or weirdly stalker-ish.
I do actually like the OTP of Paige/Holdo as it would also be a good reason why no-one really would know, since fraternization of that sort is a no-go in most groups, especially intergalactic terrorist organizations.
The amulet = wedding ring thing is kinda weird because Rose has the other half.

-STS
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Wow, the more of these Star Wars builds you make, the happier I am that I opted out of the Disney Wars version right at the beginning.