Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Arkrite

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Finn! Rose! Holdo! Capt. Phasma! Kylo Ren!)

Post by Arkrite »

Kylo Ren could have been interesting if they'd decided to really run up the pathetic part.
Make it easy to see what is happening, make him super whiny and self centered, and just let his bad decisions spiral out of control until you wind up at the last movie and you have this sad scared little boy wearing a Darth Vader mask who's painted himself into a corner and doesn't understand how he's the bad guy... or at least why he's wound up in this situation.
A bad guy who doesn't have a redemption moment pushed in the last movie.

Instead we need a forced redemption arc and... uh, a romance with Rey?

Kidnaps her, threatens her, attempts to kill her only friend, attempts to kill her, then attempts to kill her again. And again. And again. And sudden smoochies?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

John Boyega is apparently having a lot of fun trolling the Reylo shippers.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:26 am Kylo Ren could have been interesting if they'd decided to really run up the pathetic part.
Make it easy to see what is happening, make him super whiny and self centered, and just let his bad decisions spiral out of control until you wind up at the last movie and you have this sad scared little boy wearing a Darth Vader mask who's painted himself into a corner and doesn't understand how he's the bad guy... or at least why he's wound up in this situation.
A bad guy who doesn't have a redemption moment pushed in the last movie.

Instead we need a forced redemption arc and... uh, a romance with Rey?

Kidnaps her, threatens her, attempts to kill her only friend, attempts to kill her, then attempts to kill her again. And again. And again. And sudden smoochies?
You just don't understand sexual tension, Arkrite :P.
Jabroniville

The Mandalorian

Post by Jabroniville »

THE MANDALORIAN:
-The most universally-liked aspect of the modern Star Wars Universe so far has been the signature Disney+ show, The Mandalorian. Produced by Iron Man's Jon Favreau, the story acts like a Western with stories of the week, yet adopts the "Travelling Mercenary & Child" aspect of Lone Wolf & Cub, sort of marrying the western & samurai manga genres together. The show is PHENOMENALLY expensive, and is pretty much a "loss leader" (aka something that loses money, but helps the company through things like public sentiment). The surprise reveal in the first episode of a ridonkulously adorable BABY YODA became a meme almost instantly, with Disney famously not releasing any merch of the thing until after Christmas, for fear of it spoiling things. This AGAIN cost them millions, but is expected to pay off in other ways.

I don't have Disney+ yet (I've really got enough stuff to watch), but the show is very beloved. The main character doesn't talk much, and seems to almost never take his helmet off either, which is probably beneficial to a Mandalorian, which is all about the cool look and little else. The reasoning why he's not just Boba Fett is probably to both avoid comparisons to the somewhat overdone character from the Original Trilogy, not be saddled with his baggage, and to avoid having it be about him surviving the Sarlacc Pit and dealing with Jabba's agents and whatever. The show also gave new exposure to Gina Carano, who I was CERTAIN was going to be a huge star ten years ago- instead, her MMA career flamed out and she didn't get enough acting gigs (it was the era of 90-lb. ingenues with doe eyes). Now, a stronger, thicker Gina acts as a badass former Rebel agent who teams up with Din Djarin (the Mandalorian in question), and we learn more about his people in the process. And apparently they end up revealing the Dark Lightsaber that was a major plot point in Star Wars: Rebels (an ancestral weapon of the leader of Mandalore).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Alright, I wanna ask people what they want to see coming up soon- I have a few different smaller sets planned after Star Wars. I mentioned my building of the Hippodrome early fighting game, plus the "Hank Pym" set. People on Discord probably saw me talk about Way of the Warrior a bit, so that's coming up in a week or so.

But here's a poll as to what to include next. Please choose three, listed in order of preference, so I can properly "count" what everyone would like to see emphasized first.

The Avengers (re-posts of the old builds, probably with more comprehensive bios)
The Guardians of the Galaxy (same as above)
Captain America (same as above)
The Simpsons (the largest set of any builds that still only exists on the original Atomic Think Tank)
Kasumi Ninja (another one of the awful Mortal Kombat Klones, and probably the silliest next to WOTW)
Fire Emblem (yes, I've been thinking about doing this one for AGES, and occasionally people still ask about it. It's a big deal in gaming now, though I don't really intend to cover every game so much as the classes and how to stat them up)
Shining Force (one of the pre-eminent tactical RPGs, with more fantastical elements like Dragons, Phoenixes & Centaurs as heroes)
World Heroes (re-posts of the old SNK set- one of the last Video Game sets that still only exists on the original Atomic Think Tank board)

Feel free to suggest stuff, though I don't watch much anime anymore so can't really help you there. I always shudder to think what can run away with the votes ever since the time I got stuck statting up Power Pack :).
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

The only suggestion I have is from a universe I think you've never read: the ultra-90s WildCATS, Storm Watch, Gen 13, etc. Image-verse. It's all so ridiculous, but I really have a soft spot for it all.

As for the ones you mentioned, my votes (top choice #1)
1. Captain America
2. Avengers
3. Kasumi Ninja
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Din Djarin

Post by Jabroniville »

DIN DJARIN
Role:
Solitary Hero, Honor-Bound Mercenary
Group Affiliations: Manadalore
PL 9 (156)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 7 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Intergalactic Bounty Hunter) 10 (+13)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Investigation 6 (+9)
Perception 7 (+10)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 5 (+8)
Vehicles 8 (+13)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Benefit (Reputation), Diehard, Equipment 26 (Gear, Ship), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Lasers), Improved Initiative, Languages (Various), Move-By Action, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Tracking, Ranged Attack 7

Equipment:
"Carbine Rifle" Blast 6 (Feats: Extended Range 2) (Extras: Multiattack) (20) -- (24)
  • AE: "Flame Projector" Damage 6 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cone +1/4) (8)
  • AE: "Smaller Laser Pistol" Blast 4 (8)
  • AE: "Stun Darts" Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Diminished Range -2) (16)
  • AE: "Mini-Rockets" Blast 8 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5 Uses) (12)
"Mandalorian Armor"
Protection 2 (2)
"Survival Gear" Immunity 4 (Suffocation 2, Heat, Cold) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (2)
"Link With Slave I" Features 1: Linkup With Ship (1)
Senses 5 (Low-Light & Extended Vision 2, Radius Sight, Infravision) (5)
"Utility Belt" Grappling Hook, etc. (5)

"Jetpack" Flight 6 (Flaws: Fades) (6)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Carbine Rifle +12 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Stun Darts +12 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Flame Projector +6 Area (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Mini-Rockets +8 Area (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+6 Armor), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (The Child)- Din refuses to kill the Child, and eventually runs off with it. He will kill former allies and anyone else to see it safe.
Secret (Face)- The Mandalorian is sworn under oath to never let his face be observed by a living being.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 58--29 / Advantages: 45 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 16 (156)

-Din Djarin is Boba Fett with the serial numbers filed off, using a long wire, lasers, and dual flamethrowers in his missions. Entrusted to take "The Child" (a Baby Yoda), the former foundling child refuses to kill it, and instead tries to make sure it's brought up properly. Upon learning more about "the way" of Mandalore in these regards, he then decides to bring it to its own people, while others continuously hunt it down. Along the way, he engages in all manner of bad-assery, makes pals with Gina Carano's character Cara Dune, and more.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Someone on Ronin Army was asking for Dead or Alive builds, and it was pointed out that it was one of the few fighting games you hadn't started (albeit mentioned when starting Ryu Hayabusa). I think One Must Fall would be interesting too. On the minus side, there's only two games to it and the backstory is scant. On the plus side, that means it's mostly mechanical.

Of your list:
  1. World Heroes - I want to get as much migrated from the ATT as possible
  2. The Simpsons - Ditto
  3. Kasumi Ninja - Two words: Kilt Flamethrower
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:57 am Alright, I wanna ask people what they want to see coming up soon- I have a few different smaller sets planned after Star Wars. I mentioned my building of the Hippodrome early fighting game, plus the "Hank Pym" set. People on Discord probably saw me talk about Way of the Warrior a bit, so that's coming up in a week or so.

But here's a poll as to what to include next. Please choose three, listed in order of preference, so I can properly "count" what everyone would like to see emphasized first.

The Avengers (re-posts of the old builds, probably with more comprehensive bios)
The Guardians of the Galaxy (same as above)
Captain America (same as above)
The Simpsons (the largest set of any builds that still only exists on the original Atomic Think Tank)
Kasumi Ninja (another one of the awful Mortal Kombat Klones, and probably the silliest next to WOTW)
Fire Emblem (yes, I've been thinking about doing this one for AGES, and occasionally people still ask about it. It's a big deal in gaming now, though I don't really intend to cover every game so much as the classes and how to stat them up)
Shining Force (one of the pre-eminent tactical RPGs, with more fantastical elements like Dragons, Phoenixes & Centaurs as heroes)
World Heroes (re-posts of the old SNK set- one of the last Video Game sets that still only exists on the original Atomic Think Tank board)

Feel free to suggest stuff, though I don't watch much anime anymore so can't really help you there. I always shudder to think what can run away with the votes ever since the time I got stuck statting up Power Pack :).
Let's see..My votes:
1. Fire Emblem
2. Shining Force
3. Kasumi Ninja
sirjolt

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Kylo Ren! Solo! The Mandalorian!)

Post by sirjolt »

Shining Force
Fire Emblem
Avengers
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Myself I'd go Avengers, GOTG, and maybe Simpsons.
Woodclaw

Re: Din Djarin

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:19 pm Image

DIN DJARIN
Role:
Solitary Hero, Honor-Bound Mercenary
Group Affiliations: Manadalore
PL 9 (156)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 7 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Intergalactic Bounty Hunter) 10 (+13)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Investigation 6 (+9)
Perception 7 (+10)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 5 (+8)
Vehicles 8 (+13)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Benefit (Reputation), Diehard, Equipment 26 (Gear, Ship), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Lasers), Improved Initiative, Languages (Various), Move-By Action, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Tracking, Ranged Attack 7

Equipment:
"Carbine Rifle" Blast 6 (Feats: Extended Range 2) (Extras: Multiattack) (20) -- (24)
  • AE: "Flame Projector" Damage 6 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cone +1/4) (8)
  • AE: "Smaller Laser Pistol" Blast 4 (8)
  • AE: "Stun Darts" Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Diminished Range -2) (16)
  • AE: "Mini-Rockets" Blast 8 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5 Uses) (12)
"Mandalorian Armor"
Protection 2 (2)
"Survival Gear" Immunity 4 (Suffocation 2, Heat, Cold) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (2)
"Link With Slave I" Features 1: Linkup With Ship (1)
Senses 5 (Low-Light & Extended Vision 2, Radius Sight, Infravision) (5)
"Utility Belt" Grappling Hook, etc. (5)

"Jetpack" Flight 6 (Flaws: Fades) (6)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Carbine Rifle +12 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Stun Darts +12 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Flame Projector +6 Area (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Mini-Rockets +8 Area (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+6 Armor), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (The Child)- Din refuses to kill the Child, and eventually runs off with it. He will kill former allies and anyone else to see it safe.
Secret (Face)- The Mandalorian is sworn under oath to never let his face be observed by a living being.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 58--29 / Advantages: 45 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 16 (156)

-Din Djarin is Boba Fett with the serial numbers filed off, using a long wire, lasers, and dual flamethrowers in his missions. Entrusted to take "The Child" (a Baby Yoda), the former foundling child refuses to kill it, and instead tries to make sure it's brought up properly. Upon learning more about "the way" of Mandalore in these regards, he then decides to bring it to its own people, while others continuously hunt it down. Along the way, he engages in all manner of bad-assery, makes pals with Gina Carano's character Cara Dune, and more.
Ehr... Jab I'm really sorry to say, but you should really watch the series before building the character.
While Din Djarin's armor has many similarities with Boba Fett's the rest of his arsenal is quite different. Most notably, Din uses a disruptor sniper rifle (opposed to Fett's carabine) that doubled as a stun weapon in melee, a blaster pistol and he doesn't have a jetpack until the last 15 minutes of season 1. Also, the evolution of his armor is a pretty major plot point, since he went from durasteel to full beskar (i.e. stuff that can stop even a lightsaber) over the course of the season.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Curbludgeon

Post by Curbludgeon »

The Mandalorian is a pretty fun show. My main SW intake is playing the 80's arcade game once every few years, and I liked it well enough. I'm will say I'm excited to see that you're nearing the end of these builds, although I could see an argument for maybe including the green rabbit character Jaxxon from the old Marvel comic for sillyness' sake.

I'm hesitant to make suggestions, since it not only can't help but come across as a wild imposition, but I'm often interested in stuff that's hard to research or stat. I think League of Extraordinary Gentlemen would be a fun comic for which to make builds. None of the main characters have ill-defined abilities, at least. Two comics about which I can't say that, and can't in good conscience suggest save as reading material, are Gravel and The Invisibles. The latter's main character is a self-insert as RL magical ritual, which I haven't decided if that's the most pompous reason for a self-insert or not, but in practice would be a PL8-9 handgun/martial artist with high Presence and Ritualist.

I'd love to see some Shining Force builds.
Jabroniville

Re: Din Djarin

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:25 pm
Ehr... Jab I'm really sorry to say, but you should really watch the series before building the character.
While Din Djarin's armor has many similarities with Boba Fett's the rest of his arsenal is quite different. Most notably, Din uses a disruptor sniper rifle (opposed to Fett's carabine) that doubled as a stun weapon in melee, a blaster pistol and he doesn't have a jetpack until the last 15 minutes of season 1. Also, the evolution of his armor is a pretty major plot point, since he went from durasteel to full beskar (i.e. stuff that can stop even a lightsaber) over the course of the season.
Well that's unfortunate, though I guess inevitable that I'd miss some things. I checked Wookieepedia for a list of his gear and was hoping it'd have everything. I guess these stats will show is earlier armor.
Jabroniville

IG-11

Post by Jabroniville »

IG-11
Role:
Assassin Droid
Group Affiliations: N/A
PL 8 (97)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Insight 4 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)
Technology 2 (+2)
Vehicles 6 (+6)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Equipment 4 (Laser Blasters +6 Multiattack, Plasma Cutter, Bacta Spray- Healing Wounds), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Lasers), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 10

Powers:
"Security Droid"
Protection 7 [7]
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Features 2: May Be Put Together Easily After Being Dismembered, May Self-Destruct in a Huge Explosion [2]
"360 Degree Field of Vision" Senses 1 (Radius Sight) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Lasers +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +8 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Their Programming)- IG-11 cannot be captured, so under his manufacturer's specifications, he must self-destruct.
Weakness (Magnets, Electrical Attacks)- Droids are made entirely of metal, and are thus vulnerable to certain things. They can even be shut down by losing access to their command units in starships floating above planets upon which they are deployed.
Prejudice (Droid)- Droids are not allowed in certain areas, treated like property, often have their MEMORIES WIPED, and even tortured in some weird parts of the world.

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 14 (97)

-IG-11 is one of those things that's often talked about in Star Wars circles, ever since the Bounty Hunter Droid IG-88 appeared in the Original Trilogy as a Backgrounder- the Combat Droid With Personality. Like Rogue One's K-2SO, he's a super-strong, lethal adversary, but not just a mindless shell like the Combat Droids of the Prequels. Inspired by IG-88 and voiced by the director of Thor III and the voice of Korg with a funny kind of blunt, unsarcastic speaking tone, he appears in the first episode of The Mandalorian, working alongside Din Djarin, and points out that his mission was to assassinate their target ("The Child", a baby Yoda)- Din, refusing to see this happen, keeps the child alive by murdering his own partner.

-A memorable guy already, IG-11 reappeared- he'd been repaired by a vapor farmer and had gained a new personality during his re-training as a farm worker. Now much friendly, he was encountered by Din once more, and went with the mistrusting Mandalorian on his mission. Unfortunately, his new master was killed by Stormtroopers, and the Child was abused by two others- in a spectacularly-violent display, IG-11 then snapped one's arm, then bludgeoned the other one into his own speeder until he died- a terrific showcase of the terrible mechanical violence a killer robot could inflict (machines are very... direct and without flourish, making their violent actions quite startlingly inhuman and precise). He met up with the group again, proved his loyalty by saving Din's life, and ultimately sacrificed his own, initiating a self-destruct to take out the Stormtroopers who threatened to overwhelm the heroes. Thus he pulls a "Rogue One" and seems to have ended up a very memorable character.

-IG-11 is much like K-2SO- a lethally-strong Kill-O-Bot, but also adds in freakish accuracy and stopping power with multiple laser weapons that he can fire in multiple directions. With a 360-degree field of vision, he specializes in mowing down fools while standing in the middle of combat.