Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Finn! Rose! Holdo! Capt. Phasma! Kylo Ren!)

Post by Jabroniville »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:33 pm Someone on Ronin Army was asking for Dead or Alive builds, and it was pointed out that it was one of the few fighting games you hadn't started (albeit mentioned when starting Ryu Hayabusa). I think One Must Fall would be interesting too. On the minus side, there's only two games to it and the backstory is scant. On the plus side, that means it's mostly mechanical.

Of your list:
  1. World Heroes - I want to get as much migrated from the ATT as possible
  2. The Simpsons - Ditto
  3. Kasumi Ninja - Two words: Kilt Flamethrower
hah, they still talk about me on there? That's nice :). 3D fighters are generally a lot more boring than 2D ones to build, as the movesets are more generic, but I'll add it to the list at some point.

Do you think GR will ever just kill the old ATT site?
Grenzer

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Kylo Ren! Solo! The Mandalorian!)

Post by Grenzer »

1. Shining Force
2. The Avengers
3. World Heroes

As for suggestions, I always wanted to see someone stat up the Rainbow Raiders. They are quite possibly the most pathetic team of Jobbers in the history of DC comics... no any major comics label. They make the Wrecking Crew look like A-listers by comparison, but there is a sort of morbid curiosity in seeing them get a spotlight. Plus I have a halfway interesting rant about the team if the opportunity arises.

(Did you ever stat the Rainbow Raider, Jab? I guess that would sort of go in hand with this.)

And because it was mentioned a few pages earlier, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm not a hardcore fan of it by any means, but it is a franchise worthy of respect. Compared to the new Star Wars trilogy, it knew how to present a capable female protagonist.

https://www.hyperborea.org/flash/rainbow-raiders.html
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/rainbow- ... 060-56209/
Jabroniville

Cara Dune

Post by Jabroniville »

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

CARA DUNE (Carasynthia Dune)
Role:
Mercenary Ex-Soldier
Group Affiliations: The Rebel Alliance
PL 9 (131)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Rebel Soldier) 10 (+13)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+7)
Investigation 6 (+9)
Perception 7 (+10)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 5 (+6)
Vehicles 5 (+10)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Equipment 8 (Cool Gear), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Lasers), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative, Languages (Various), Quick Draw, Tracking, Ranged Attack 7

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Laser Blaster +12 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4 (+6 Armor), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Action)- Cara Dune had ceased her career as a Rebel shock trooper, and had more or less been retired into being a bodyguard for important Republic politicians. Bored and listless without any action, she quit to become a mercenary.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 56--28 / Advantages: 24 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 13 (131)

-Oh HELL FREAKING YES to this!! Now THIS is how you make an awesome Strong Female Character for Star Wars. Cara Dune is absolutely epic- a Rebel assassin during the events of the Original Trilogy, she retired to become a mercenary after she was done hunting down Imperial officers who'd become warlords in the Post-Empire period. This brings her into contact with the Mandalorian, and the two have an awesome melee fight before allying and backing each other up. She serves the role as a target for exposition, a partner in warfare, and someone to help humanize the other characters. Some boneheaded fake-feminists were complaining about the first episode of The Mandaorian, which didn't feature many female characters, so it's kinda funny that Cara more or less takes care of any potential complaints by being an awesome fighter, no mere love interest, and not fanservicey at all. I mean, SHE IS, but not in the "shows skin" way. In the "could break you in half and is thicc as hell and drop-dead gorgeous, but not showy about it" sort of way.

-And also, she's played by GINA CARANO. Carano was an MMA washout who first got noticed on the American Gladiators remake that failed, mostly notable for being a legitimate 10/10 beauty despite also clearly being a strong athlete- a rare combination. This naturally led to some attempts to push her, but her MMA career flagged out after some losses and she only had a couple of acting roles that didn't pan out that far- Hollywood kinda didn't know how to deal with her, and she was noticeably uncomfortable during interviews (honestly, I'd bet money that she has social anxiety or something, as she would vocally compain on Conan O'Brien or something that she hated doing interviews). That she was 100 times as strong-looking as Zoe Saldana, who was being pushed as an action heroine despite weighing 110 lbs., probably didn't help, as Hollywood's kind of afraid of that sometimes. And now, ten or so years later, here's Gina as a great, bad-ass fighter who is hot as hell, despite being nowhere near a "Miss Fanservice"- she's usually wearing bulky armor, and she's thick as hell, having gotten a lot more curvaceous with time.

-Cara Dune is more or less a match for the Mandalorian, fighting him to a standstill in melee, and she's probably even stronger than he is. As such, she's one of very few PL 9 Rebel operatives.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

And that does it for the Star Wars builds! Took almost a month to post them all, but since so many were re-posts, I was able to get WAY ahead on my building! Thanks for commenting, everyone!
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Yea, I really dig the Mandalorian. Gorgeous looking, great tone/atmosphere, and just plain fun. I also liked how the Mandalorian was a compentent skilled badass without being an OP Mary Sue.

I feel like calling the Mandolorian "Boba Fett with the serial numbers filed off" does him a bit of a disservice. Mando has more depth and is very different personality wise.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

drkrash wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:24 pm The only suggestion I have is from a universe I think you've never read: the ultra-90s WildCATS, Storm Watch, Gen 13, etc. Image-verse. It's all so ridiculous, but I really have a soft spot for it all.

As for the ones you mentioned, my votes (top choice #1)
1. Captain America
2. Avengers
3. Kasumi Ninja
I do have the occasional Image-era books (the first WildCATs arc, some Cyberforce and like most red-blooded '90s teens I fapped through.. I mean FLIPPED through... Gen-13), and actually I could talk a lot about some of those characters- how comprehensive are their Wikipedia pages or bios? Just a quick check of the main Wikipedia page shows they're pretty in-depth, so I could easily take a shot at some of them. That's actually not a bad idea to fill some of the gaps as I re-post more and more of my old stuff. Good ideas!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Curbludgeon wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:12 am The Mandalorian is a pretty fun show. My main SW intake is playing the 80's arcade game once every few years, and I liked it well enough. I'm will say I'm excited to see that you're nearing the end of these builds, although I could see an argument for maybe including the green rabbit character Jaxxon from the old Marvel comic for sillyness' sake.

I'm hesitant to make suggestions, since it not only can't help but come across as a wild imposition, but I'm often interested in stuff that's hard to research or stat. I think League of Extraordinary Gentlemen would be a fun comic for which to make builds. None of the main characters have ill-defined abilities, at least. Two comics about which I can't say that, and can't in good conscience suggest save as reading material, are Gravel and The Invisibles. The latter's main character is a self-insert as RL magical ritual, which I haven't decided if that's the most pompous reason for a self-insert or not, but in practice would be a PL8-9 handgun/martial artist with high Presence and Ritualist.

I'd love to see some Shining Force builds.
I did read the first trade of League, so that's possibly doable. I've never read The Invisibles before, and Morrison is very... iffy, with me. Not sure about that one.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

And I will add my vote for Fire Emblem as well.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Gilliam wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:41 am And I will add my vote for Fire Emblem as well.
Cool! That pushes it up pretty far- Shining Force is actually in the lead now.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

She looks pretty healthy to me.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:57 am Alright, I wanna ask people what they want to see coming up soon- I have a few different smaller sets planned after Star Wars. I mentioned my building of the Hippodrome early fighting game, plus the "Hank Pym" set. People on Discord probably saw me talk about Way of the Warrior a bit, so that's coming up in a week or so.

But here's a poll as to what to include next. Please choose three, listed in order of preference, so I can properly "count" what everyone would like to see emphasized first.

The Avengers (re-posts of the old builds, probably with more comprehensive bios)
The Guardians of the Galaxy (same as above)
Captain America (same as above)
The Simpsons (the largest set of any builds that still only exists on the original Atomic Think Tank)
Kasumi Ninja (another one of the awful Mortal Kombat Klones, and probably the silliest next to WOTW)
Fire Emblem (yes, I've been thinking about doing this one for AGES, and occasionally people still ask about it. It's a big deal in gaming now, though I don't really intend to cover every game so much as the classes and how to stat them up)
Shining Force (one of the pre-eminent tactical RPGs, with more fantastical elements like Dragons, Phoenixes & Centaurs as heroes)
World Heroes (re-posts of the old SNK set- one of the last Video Game sets that still only exists on the original Atomic Think Tank board)

Feel free to suggest stuff, though I don't watch much anime anymore so can't really help you there. I always shudder to think what can run away with the votes ever since the time I got stuck statting up Power Pack :).
My votes would be:

Shining Force
World Heroes
The Simpsons
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:57 am But here's a poll as to what to include next. Please choose three, listed in order of preference, so I can properly "count" what everyone would like to see emphasized first.
• The Avengers
• Captain America
• The Guardians of the Galaxy
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Hippodrome

Post by Jabroniville »

"You have entered the hippodrome. Once a year, there is a worldwide competition to determine the best fighter on the planet. The winner must have the strongest combination of power and skill. Creatures are gathering from all over the planet to see who will be this year's champion. You now have the chance to test your skill against the world's best. Be prepared."
-Then the most complex Story Mode in Fighting Games

HIPPODROME:
Game Type: Fighting Game
Release Date: 1989
Developer: Data East

-One of the very earliest Fighting Games, Hippodrome actually gains many of the trappings that would soon become popular, like wild character designs instead of "Generic Karate Dudes", but many things that'd later be dropped- it's a game where you play one character as he fights through a group of eight others. As you move along, you can visit a "store" to spend your points on extra health and better gear. Your gladiator-looking hero uses a sword or longaxe against creatures as varied as a Scorpion Man, a Wizard, and a Flying Dragon. 1990 saw the release of a very similar game from Data East, Mutant Fighter, which adopts many of the same traits.
Jabroniville

The Gladiator

Post by Jabroniville »

MICHAEL/SNAKE (The Gladiator)
Role:
Strong Gladiator, The Player Character
PL 8 (90)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+9)
Expertise (Warrior) 5 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Diehard, Equipment 1 (Various Weapons), Fearless, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Critical (Axe), Power Attack

Equipment:
"Standard Sword" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
"Long Axe" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach, Accurate) (4)
"Axe" Strength-Damage +3 (3)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Long Axe +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Axe +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Winning the Competition)- The winner is awarded riches, and the hand of the Queen. But he must defend his title next year...

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 14 (90)

-The character you play is a pretty typical dude- a muscular, shirtless male gladiator. His initial sword only does one point of damage, but the Axe you get later does 3, making it much better... unless you're fighting an opponent with good range, at which point the Long Axe is the superior weapon. See, much like in real life, the longer weapon is more accurate (since, duh, you can strike without being hit in return). Your health starts out at 3-ish, but gets larger over time, as you can buy stuff in the store to increase it- at first, you're as weak as the lowest-tier of your foes.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Interestingly, the Player 2 gladiator has a different hairdo, sporting a mohawk like a Fist of the North Star Mook, but besides that is pretty much a pallete swap like Ken originally was. Much like Street Fighter 1, a second player joining would be a mirror match.