Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Kull the Despoiler

Post by Jabroniville »

A COOL-looking "Way of the Warrior" character. Well I'll be damned.

KULL THE DESPOILER
First Appearance:
Way of the Warrior (1994)
Role: Final Boss, CGI Skeleton, Evil's Greatest Warrior
PL 8 (144)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 7 (+9)
Expertise (History) 8 (+10)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 7 (+10)
Perception 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 6

The Way of the Warrior: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Trip (Throw)

Powers:
"Uppercut" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2) -- [4]
  • AE: "Slide/Flying Knee" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Suplex" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 To Hit Opponents Who Parried Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
"Throwing Hammer" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
"Throw Hammer" Blast 6 (12) -- (13 points)
  • AE: "Hammer Smash" Strength-Damage +1 (1)
"Magic" Variable (Magic Powers) 3 (Flaws: Limited to Short List, Limited to 1-2 Rounds, Unreliable- 5 Uses) (Reduced Defenses 2 on Activation -2) [10]
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
"Nine Feet Tall" Reach 1 [1]

"Fatalities"
Features 1: May Use a New Move as a Coup De Grace [1]
("Helmet Grind" Tears Opponent to Pieces Using His Helmet; "Head Explode" Blows Up Their Head)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Special Moves +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Hammer Throw +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Wealth)

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 7 + 5 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 10 (144)

-Kull the Despoiler is the Final Boss of Way of the Warrior, and is said to be "Evil's Greatest Warrior"- a guy honored in the Citadel Graveyard. Once you defeat High Abbot, you must face him- a titanic guy who can easily reach you no matter where you are. He's voiced with a hilarious "regular guy doing a raspy voice" schtick by developer Andy Gavin, and swings about a mighty hammer that returns to him. Lacking any animations for jumping, ducking or moving around much, he actually falls apart and then regenerates every time he's struck down! He taunts "I'm BACK!" or "Nice TRYYYY!" when he does so, but really only seeks to either grab your or throw his hammer. He is playable by entering "A GAVIN" and "JUNE 11 1970) into the "NAMES" section in the Main Menu- obviously, this is Andy Gavin's birthday.

-Kull is interesting in that he can neither jump nor duck, and his huge sprite (480 pixels tall! INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE, right??) means that he is fairly easy to strike.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shock

Re: High Abbot

Post by Shock »

Ares wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:01 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:57 am Image

HIGH ABBOT
First Appearance:
Role: Sub-Boss, CGI Dragon
"Hi Abbot!"
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Konotori! Nobunaga! Nikki! High Abbot! Kull!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Kull's sprite is genuinely impressive, back when fighting game sprite weren't as big as they are nowadays.
greycrusader

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Konotori! Nobunaga! Nikki! High Abbot! Kull!)

Post by greycrusader »

The giant skeleton warrior-king....lacks shoulder blades???
Jabroniville

Gulab Jamun

Post by Jabroniville »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! The... the only real secret character in the game... and it’s a fat guy in a diaper!! Someone looked at this and figured it was fine!!

Look! Lookit his walking animation! This is glorious!!: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SCzrZUcmKJA

GULAB JAMUN (aka Swami)
First Appearance:
Role: Secret Boss
PL 8 (144)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Athletics 7 (+10)
Deception 1 (+4)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 6 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 6 (+9)
Stealth 3 (+8)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 6

The Way of the Warrior: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Trip (Throw)

Powers:
"Auto-Dizzy" Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (18) -- [22]
  • AE: "Saw Blade" Blast 6 (12)
  • AE: "Death Gaze" Blast 4 (Feats: Accurate, Subtle) (10)
  • AE: "Magic Sword" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Rope Teleport" Teleport 2 (Feats: Change Direction) (5)
"Magic" Variable (Magic Powers) 3 (Flaws: Limited to Short List, Limited to 1-2 Rounds, Unreliable- 5 Uses) (Reduced Defenses 2 on Activation -2) [10]
"Float" Flight 2 (8 mph) [4]

"Fatalities"
Features 1: May Use a New Move as a Coup De Grace [1]
("Head Burst" Head Erupts)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Special Moves +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Auto-Dizzy -- (+6 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Death Gaze +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Saw Blade +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Gulab Jamun is a spirt that possesses people.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 6 + 5 / Powers: 37 / Defenses: 9 (144)

-Quite possibly the worst Secret Character of all time, Gulab Jamun, better known as "Swami", is a gigantic chubby guy in a FREAKING DIAPER, with the world's least athletic body type and a baby-like stance. They were either amusing themselves by putting an Indian guy in a Ghandi-like set of undies and a turban, or they were serious- I can't tell which is funnier. The story of Gulab: He was set to enter the tournament, but had to be taken out because it turns out that he's really just a spirit that possesses people. You could only fight him if you had already beaten Black Dragon, Major Trouble & Voodoo. A secret also unlocks his fighting stage- a good viewing of the Taj Mahal in India.

-Gulab was played by Vijay Pande, and not listed in the credits by name- so secret was he that his name was blurred. Vijay was a friend of Andy Gavin's from school- a guy who worked at Naughty Dog for years and has now worked as a Professor at Stanford University for over twenty years. Oh, Way of the Warrior.

-Gulab actually has a HUGE assortment of moves, including Spin Punches, a Magic Sword attack, an Auto-Dizzy (he just looks you and you're immediately Stunned & Defenseless for the next attack), and even two kinds of Blasts. The Saw Blade in particular is DEVASTATING, taking off more than a third of the foe's remaining energy! He's also very strong, as the developers clearly made the actor much phsyically larger than he was in real life- he's now a hulk that towers over the other fighters, and can do a lot of damage because of it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Konotori! Nikki! High Abbot! Kull! Gulab!)

Post by Jabroniville »

And that does it for Way of the Warrior! This was a goofy set- tricky to research (mostly delayed because I didn’t want to dig through my magazines) and pretty simple to stat out, though I struggled with the nature of Magic- do I ignore it? List out all the powers in each build? Variable? I first statted up Fox literally in early 2019 as a test, and wrote out the Magic stuff separately. But I couldn’t tell who had what, and the powers made statting annoying and overwhelmed the regular moves, so I left them out.

Next up.... more video game builds! One action platformer and two basketball-themed games!
Jabroniville

Zool

Post by Jabroniville »

ZOOL:
Game Type: Action Platformer
Release Date: 1992
Developer: Gremlin Graphics

-My 1994-era video game magazines feature the game Zool in some ads, so I thought I'd look it up, as I vaguely remember it. Always willing to add to my Video Game Builds total, I guess! Zool came out in 1992 for the Amiga, as well as the Sega & Nintendo systems of the time (... even the MASTER SYSTEM? Really?). You play Zool, a "gremlin Ninja of the Nth Dimension" who lands on Earth and must pass seven different "Lands" to gain his ninja ranking. Several mini-games exist hidden within, like a scrolling Space Shooter or a music game. Zool was the brainchild of George Allen, who wanted to make a rival to Sonic the Hedgehog with another Platformer Mascot. Respawning enemies can make the game very tricky, pushing it into Nintendo-Hard territory according to some reviewers.

-The Amiga version was a critical darling, earning rave reviews from Computer Mags, while the console version was decidedly "meh", I guess. Electronic Gaming Monthly criticized the game for being too speedy- so much so that controlling your character became difficult. The game actually did rather well, as it received a sequel on the Amiga the next year, and two young adult novels! In Zool 2, you can also play the female Zooz and their dog Zoon. A version even came out for the Atari Jaguar!

ZOOL
Role:
Platformer Hero, Alien Ninja
PL 8 (111)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+10)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Space Alien) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Ninja) 8 (+9)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment 1 (Sword +2- Improved Critical), Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Bullets Or Whatever" Blast 4 (Extras: Multiattack) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sword +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Blasts +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (Krool)- Krool seeks to take over the Nth Dimension, keeping the regular dimension from having dreams.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 11 (111)

-Zool fights using projectiles, while Zool 2's Zooz uses an electric whip in addition to projectiles, which... I guess just makes her better? I dunno. In any case, Zool is your typical Platformer Hero, leaping about, spin-attacking enemies to death, and traversing very large, colorful levels. PL 8 like many others, he has a LOT of enemies to deal with, as they constantly re-spawn, and the levels are full of way more environmental hazards than is normal.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I had a copy of Zool on the Amiga, but I never ended up playing it until years later. The character was always memorable to me, though. There's some odd stories about him, too. Apparently, his game was originally meant to be a sequel to a different game that I've never heard of, called Switchblade, but ended up becoming its own thing. Commodore even wanted Zool to be the mascot of the Amiga, but that didn't happen. Years later, they wanted to make a third game on the Wii, but they made the mistake of contracting the development to a company that made horrible games. It was so terrible, that it was cancelled..only for the company that made it to reskin it into an infamously horrible shovelware game known as Ninjabread Man.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Hippodrome! Mutant Fighter! HBO's OZ!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:34 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:25 am
Goldar wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:04 am OM! These characters are insane! Insane!

Makes me think of Valkyrie's cellmate, ("Big") Felicia, lol! :o

(I think we need her profile inserted here, lol)
haha, it's a pretty nutty show, yeah. And you sure do find that Felicia and her "gals" fascinating, lol :).
Ahahahahah, yeah, so true, Jab, lol. I thought they would make a great finale to those other crazy characters.
Haha, okay, you've convinced me :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:22 am I had a copy of Zool on the Amiga, but I never ended up playing it until years later. The character was always memorable to me, though. There's some odd stories about him, too. Apparently, his game was originally meant to be a sequel to a different game that I've never heard of, called Switchblade, but ended up becoming its own thing. Commodore even wanted Zool to be the mascot of the Amiga, but that didn't happen. Years later, they wanted to make a third game on the Wii, but they made the mistake of contracting the development to a company that made horrible games. It was so terrible, that it was cancelled..only for the company that made it to reskin it into an infamously horrible shovelware game known as Ninjabread Man.
Wow, that's interesting- I didn't see any of that on the Wikipedia page for Zool. Where'd you find all of that info?
Jabroniville

Felicia

Post by Jabroniville »

FELICIA THE PRISON LESBIAN
Created By:
Steve Gerber & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: The Defenders #36
Role: Prison Lesbian
Group Affiliations: Her Gals
PL 3 (36)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Streetwise) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Adding "Gals")- Felicia seems to want to add Valkyrie to her "Gals". What that means takes little imagination, given the context of the story (translation: fingerblasting).

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 4 (36)

-A character often requested by our very own Space Giant, Goldar, Felicia appeared as a one-off backgrounder in an old issue of The Defenders. In the issue, Valkyrie (drawn to be very petite, feminine and busty) is thrown in prison- one for women, in fact. And, as is tradition in fiction (especially around this time), things get a bit... sexualized. Here, writer Steve Gerber creates a big, burly woman named Felicia, who makes suggestions that she'll make Val one of her "Gals", as she calls them. Goldar often referred to red lipstick for the character, contrasting her masculine appearance, but it's what I believe is a colorist's mistake for one panel- it does not reappear. Given Felicia's burliness, and the submissive nature of Shirley, one the "gals" in her group (another is seen smoking a cigarette, and appears to be a cynical, busty broad with 1950s housewife hair), and the appelation "degenerates" thrown at them by a prison guard, the meaning is obvious- Felicia intends to engage in sexual shenanigans with Val. It's so un-subtle that Gerber's narration explicitly refers to her as "bull-like" (sounding very similar to the expression "Bull Dyke", a common slur against lesbians of a more masculine appearance). However, Felicia is immediately and swiftly beaten- Val grasps her around the throat with a one-handed choke, and Felicia immediately submits.

-However, Felicia is not done- when she and Val get into it a few more times (mostly over Val being friendly with Shirley, Felicia's key submissive), Valkyrie is thrown into solitary. This enrages the other prisoners, who start a riot. Felicia actually leads them, and takes charge in making demands to the outside, but she again messes with Val, who throws her into a wall, knocking her out. And that's it for Felicia.

-Felicia is drawn as tall, burly, and strong, but is no match for the superhuman Valkyrie. The problem with Felicia is that she is "human tough", but is so overwhelmed by Valkyrie's superior statline that the fights literally only last as long as Valkyrie doesn't throw a punch- every time she does, it's a One-Hit Victory. So Felicia is definitely not a good fighter, nor is she actually very tough- many "Human Level" fighters in comics can last MUCH longer against Valkyrie-types. As such, she's only PL 3- barely above many bystanders, but definitely more than a PL 0 could handle- Shirley, the weakest of her "Gals", is probably around that level.

Felicia gets a tiny write-up on Marvel's Appendix: http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix4/valk ... e.htm#feli

The Gay League website actually elaborates upon this story: http://www.gayleague.com/felicia-the-prison-inmate/
Shades of Orange Is The New Black! Welcome to Women’s Detention Facility in lower Manhattan! Felicia is one of several female prisoners being held in a single prison cell. Tough acting, tough talking Felicia is the de facto top dog of not just the women in her cell but the entire prison, and she’s the one who “greets” a demoralized Valkyrie (of the Defenders book) who’s been processed after her arrest for destroying a restaurant. Valkyrie doesn’t behave the way Felicia wants and starts a fight to teach the costumeless Defender a lesson or three. A powerful slap and hair pulling are moves Felicia resorts to using on Valyrie, and as tried and true as they must’ve been for her in the past, they fail her this time. The other prisoners are shocked to see Felicia lifted off the floor by her throat and dangling in the air. Taking action against a woman is a violation of Valkryie’s mystical powers and she painfully pays for it. Note that in the caption Gerber describes Felicia as “bull-like” and Valkrie as a “frail”. That’s as close to calling the character a “bull dyke” as Gerber can get under the then watchful eye of the Comics Code Authority. Artist Sal Buscema did his part as well with infusing her appearance with negative stereotypes.

The incident gave Felicia one more reason to despise the new prisoner. In the following issue more violence and intimidation follows with Felicia stomps on a weakened Valkyrie after she refuses to wake up for breakfast in the cafeteria. The sight of cell mate Shirley sitting alone with Valkyrie in the cafeteria another day infuriates the woman and she decides to isolate her by intimidating Shirley and doubles down for good measure by putting out her cigarette in Valkyrie’s bowl of stew. Tit for tat, as the old saying goes. Valkyrie dumps the bowl over Felicia’s head and the guards have to break up the two women to prevent a brawl. Valkyrie gets blamed for it all and is taken to the warden who, after some unwillingness to comply with orders, has her put in solitary. This move proves to be the catalyst for the women to rally around Valkyrie. It breaks into a riot with Felicia in the lead. They soon takeover the entire complex with Felicia making demands with the police over the phone. Just because Valkyrie’s transfer to solitary was the breaking point means that Felicia has stopped hating her. If anything, it’s made her even more determined to hang on to her power and status, such as they are. What follows is a fight that would be right in place in a movie like Caged or any other Women in Prison type movie. Poor Felicia loses all her cred after Valkyrie throws her into a wall and knocks her out. This issue isn’t titled “Riot In Cellblock 12” for nothing!

Alas, the riot ends with the appearance of Luke Cage, Nighthawk, and Red Guardian, Having filled their purpose, Felicia, Shirley, and the other women disappear into comics limbo.

Steve Gerber is not the first writer to insert a coded lesbian into a Comics Code approved comic. Two earlier examples are a Mike Sekowsky affair from Wonder Woman #185, published in 1969, with its lesbian gang including Top Hat, Pinto, and Moose Mama; and Liz from “That Strange Girl” story in Young Romance #197, cover dated January-February 1974. Other such coded LGBT characters are the “Anonymous Fashion Guys”, Jasper Dewgood, and women’s fashion designer Anton Previn.

Created by Steve Gerber and Sal Buscema. Felicia first appeared in Defenders #36 (vol 1) and continued to appear until this sub plot’s resolution in issue #39.

You can read the entire prison sub plot and a lot more in Essential Defenders vol 3.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City

Post by Jabroniville »

MICHAEL JORDAN- CHAOS IN THE WINDY CITY:
Game Type: Action Platformer
Release Date: 1994
Developer: Electronic Arts

-A ludicrous concept for a video game, this game is amazingly only the SECOND stupidest idea for a basketball-themed video game of 1994, with Shaquille O'Neal appearing in the infamous Shaq-Fu around the same time. In this game, the All-Star charity game's players have all been kidnapped, and Michael Jordan must rescue them by using an assortment of basketball-themed techniques, collecting various keys along the way. The game was mostly forgotten, but in 1997, the staff of Nintendo Power considered it the 7th worst game of ALL TIME, though confessed it was mostly for wasting the license. The game is largely maze-themed, with item collection (mostly Keys) and the like, and not straight-through action.

-Michael Jordan is, of course, the ultimate phenomenon in professional sports- at one point one of the most famous people on the entire planet, respected the world over as a singular talent in the field of basketball. Ultra-competitive to the point of psychosis (check out various websites that list the insane things he did to mentally destroy his opponents, or win no matter what), Jordan is pretty widely considered to be the greatest of al time, even with the steroid-using super-athletes of today (LeBron was a close contender, but shitting the bed in the playoffs repeatedly has held him back).

"I've missed over 9,000 shots in my career.
I've lost almost 300 games.
26 times I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed.
I've failed over and over and over again in my life.
And that is why I succeed."
-Michael Jordan, "Nike Culture : The Sign of the Swoosh" (1998)

MICHAEL JORDAN
Role:
Bizarre Platform Hero, World-Famous Icon, Air Jordan
PL 8 (115)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Athletics 10 (+13)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Basketball) 18 (+18)
Expertise (Baseball) 4 (+4)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Basketballs) 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Critical (Basketballs), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Ultimate Athletics

Powers:
"Golden Basketballs" Blast 5 (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (Flaws: Source- Power-Ups) (10) -- [17]
  • AE: "Constant B-Baller" Blast 4 (8)
  • AE: "Flaming Basketballs" Damage 5 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Source- Power-Ups) (5)
  • AE: "Baseballs" Blast 4 (Feats: Homing, Ricochet) (Flaws: Source- Power-Ups) (6)
  • AE: "Red Basketbals" Blast 6 (Flaws: Source- Power-Ups) (6)
  • AE: "Purple Basketbals" Blast 4 (Feats: Ricochet 4) (Flaws: Source- Power-Ups) (8)
  • AE: "Bowling Ball" Damage 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Source- Power-Ups) (6)
  • AE: "Freeze Basketballs" Snare 6 (Flaws: Source- Power-Ups, Limited to 1-2 Rounds) (6)
"Air Jordan" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Basketballs/Baseballs/Purple B-Balls +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 17)
Red Basketballs +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Golden Basketballs -- (+5 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Flaming/Bowling Balls +6 Area (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Freeze Basketballs +10 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Winning)- Jordan's patholical desire to win was well-known in the NBA- he once got caught cheating at cards to beat someone's grandmother in a friendly game.
Responsibility (Holds Grudges)- Cross Jordan at your peril. During his retirement speech, he invited a High School coach who once cut him... solely to publicly humiliate the man for having done so. An aged, past his prime Jordan was once taunted by a younger player, who was immediately pulled aside by a veteran- "Don't you know better than to talk shit to that guy?"- Jordan was well-known for shattering the confidence of his rivals, especially when crossed.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 56--27 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 13 (115)

-Jordan is athletic, competitive and actually a much scarier, more deceptive person that most people understood during the era in which he was a major phenomenon- he hid his dark side very well from the media and the fans, and most people didn't realize just how nasty he could be until years later. So he came off as a humble, chuckling athlete in public, while in private he'd do things like warn players ahead of time that he was getting his poster's photo taken that day, and straight-up ask them which side they'd like him to dunk on, letting them get their preferred side. On Michael Jordan's dunk poster.

-Jordan's attacks in the game include a Freeze Ball (freezing enemies- a second shot destroys them, and you can also leap on the ice block to rerach secrets), a Bomb Ball (explosions), etc. The Red Basketballs damage everything in a line, so I went with an Area Attack. Bowling Balls can be dunked, damaging every enemy on-screen. Slam Dunks exist as a secondary attack directed downwards, which will swoop a ball through nets that bestow other power-ups. The regular special basketballs you can get are Limited Powers listed above.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Way of the Warrior! Zool! Felicia! Michael Jordan!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Weird coincidence: Between this build and working on the next basketball-themed game build, I heard the news broken that Kobe Bryant was killed in the helicopter accident, along with his daughter and several other people. Given that I almost never think about basketball, and had been doing so for the duration of these builds, it was a bit of an odd thing for me.
Woodclaw

Re: Zool

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:50 am Image
Talking about a blast from the past, I vaguely remember playing this game on my first home PC, alongside Jetpack and a bunch of Lucasarts adventures.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Shaq-Fu

Post by Jabroniville »

SHAQ-FU:
Game Type: Fighting Game
Release Date: 1994
Developer: Delphine Software International (published by Electronic Arts)

-A game that was bizarre even for the "Shovelware" era that was the mid-1990s, Shaq-Fu came out and was quickly ignored, but has since gone on to become infamous simply by virtue of how STUPID an idea it was, and has now become known as one of the worst video games of all time. The funny thing was, at the time, the game was merely considered "Eh, this was bizarre and dumb, but the game is okay, I guess". I mean, this was *1994*. You have any idea how many Fighting Games came out in frickin' 1994? There were DOZENS of them. I seriously doubt any reviewers had more than a minor chance at checking out many of these in-depth, and there were surely a couple of worse examples.

I still remember my issue of GamePlayers Magazine which featured Shaq himself as the Guest Reviewer, of course giving his own game a good review. The two actual staff members doing supporting reviews were fairly like "Yeah, if Shaq is here, we're giving his game a good review", but confessed to liking parts of it regardless. The game, developed by a company that's now out of business, came out for the Super NES, Genesis, Game Gear and Game Boy that year, and featured the insane story of Shaq fighting an evil Egyptian Mummy Lord for the life of a young boy. Shaq, of course, was a worldwide phenomenon in the mid-90s, having debuted in the wake of Michael Jordan creating a whole new generation of basketball fans. Hell, he was the first big "Universal Name" of the post-Jordan era, with a distinctive name, famous talent, and INCREDIBLE size (he was much taller than Jordan, Kobe, Rodman or any of the other guys- one of the best "Bigs" in basketball history in terms of skill, too). Big, buff and charismatic, he was an instant mega-star as soon as he debuted, and was given all manner of silly things- rap albums, a couple of MOVIES (the infamous flop Kazaam!, in which he played a genie, and Steel, based off of the DC superhero), and of course, THIS.

The origins of the game are pretty goofy, and actually fit Shaq's "So I want to do a rap album now" personality fairly well- initially supposed to be a Basketball game (owing to, you know, Shaq being a BASKETBALL PLAYER), it was changed to a Fighting Game after meeting Shaq, who was like "I love Mortal Kombat and want this to be a Fighting Game instead". And so they created this bizarre protagonist-centered game where Shaq goes into the "Second World" to fight a mummy, a bull-man, a catgirl and more in a quest to save young Nezu from Sett-Ra. And the developers of course chose to have all the characters be these tiny lil' sprites, cuz when you have SHAQUILLE O'NEAL as your protagonist, you think of "make him look super-tiny on the screen". They apparently went this route because they knew they couldn't compete with rival fighters on basis of technology or gameplay, and so showcased their one strength- smooth animation. Similar rotoscoping technology was used for this game as was used in Flashback and other games, with animators drawing over video of people actually performing the moves, allowing for some very smooth movements. Very smooth... and TINY. Even Shaq was half the size of Johnny Cage, as one YouTube video showcases. Stages at least had day & night variations, but this was like Prince of Persia (the original version) or Flashback, not Street Fighter II.

This review indicates some of the issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-6GM6UVZSQ. The controls are infamous in retrospectives, and likely stem from the Flashback-like realistic movements, which show all the frames of animation inherent to human movement... ignoring that for most Fighting Games, the characters move FASTER than humanly possible, because to do otherwise makes them very delayed and sluggish. By being too "real", Shaq-Fu has slowed things down considerably, leading to tremendous lag. This means that normal fighting tactics won't work, and you can instead beat down opponents by leaping up and spamming the same couple of attacks repeatedly until they fall over. In essence, it's like someone made a game entirely out of the combat sequences of the original Prince of Persia game- not really the stuff of legend.

Reviews were mixed in its own time- GamePro said it was pretty decent, saying there was fast gameplay. GamePlayers put it around 70% or so (but almost confessed to being biased, given Shaq was RIGHT THERE). One guy at Electronic Gaming Monthly gave it a 6/10, which isn't bad, but another give it 4/10. The most negative review came from Next Generation, which pointed out that "Shaq-Fu includes everything a good fighting game needs, with the exception of good fighting." in their 2/5 review. The years would be... less kind. Nintendo Power called it #3 in the Worst Games of All Time list. Though a guy from IGN pointed out something I kind of believe as well- the myth of the game and stupidity of the idea probably make it sound worse than it really was. Major problems include the game being fairly buggy (some attacks simply just whiff for no reason), everyone having the same amount of Toughness (not shown in my builds, but apparently the 7'1" Shaq and 4'6" Nezu have the same durability with regards to taking damage), and odd heights and reach making certain attacks useless against certain characters.

A sequel was initially planned for 1995, but plans were dropped after the weak reception the first one got. The infamy the game had would actually create a tongue-in-cheek goofy sequel, Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn in 2018, now reimagined as a Beat 'Em Up side-scrolling game.

There are some odd differences between the various editions of the game- the Sega Genesis version actualy features FIVE MORE CHARACTERS and three more stages- a far cry from them dropping Earthquake to fit Samurai Shodown on their console.

The game allows "Finishing Moves", not quite Fatalities, though in some cases the character would be seen dying. The Story Mode takes place on four separate islands- on each island, you can face the enemies in the order you choose. The first island is comprised of Diesel, Voodoo, Leotsu, Rajah, Auroch, and Mephis. The third just has Kaori, The Colonel & Nezu. The third island only has Beast, with the fourth, Tombstone Island, holding Sett. Three "Bonus Fights" exist- two feature recolors of Beast & Sett-Ra, while a third has you fighting a series of Skeletons, none of whom attack. Beat 20 and you get an extra continue.

The Roster:
Shaquille O'Neal- The Main Hero.
Mephis
Rajah- A turban-wearing Indian-themed guy with scimitars.
Kaori- Catgirl. Mind-controlled by Sett-Ra.
Nezu- Young boy. Genesis exclusive.
Auroch- Bull-man. Genesis exclusive.
Diesel- A Greaser-dressing tough guy with knives (in the Second World)? Genesis exclusive.
Colonel- A cyborg soldier discovered by Beast. Genesis exclusive.
Leotsu- A "wise old master" into whose dojo Shaq wanders at the beginning of the story. Genesis exclusive.
Auroch- A horned bull-man. Genesis exclusive.
Beast- A strange, demonic-looking red monster with no skin. Sub-Boss, fought before Sett-Ra.
Sett-Ra- An evil Mummy Lord. Final Boss.