The most petty thing you'd do as a comics creator

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
NoOneofConsequence

Re: The most petty thing you'd do as a comics creator

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

I think I'd have to institute some sort of Twitter usage ban for all writers and artists. Especially writers.
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

My new petty thing of choice: Retcon everything Jason Aaron has ever written. Every. SINGLE. THING.

Because now apparently Thor is a mutant and his mom was the Phoenix Force. I have no words and I must scream.

So yeah, since Aaron has basically gone around retconning everything and everyone, I'd maliciously do the same to him.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I'd have the writer of I am not Starfire slapped in the back of the head with a Wet Noodle every time she tries to justify's what she did.EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

Jason Aaron would be made to apologize to every single artist he made help him write that horrible, horrible series.(technically Thor was ALWAYS considered a Mutant, as he wasn't full Asgardian. His Mother Gaia wasn't an Asgardian at all, just associated with the Pantheon. Freya was his Adopted Mother, that's why Loki's betrayal was such a sore spot originally with him, as his Half-brother's excuse was total BS in his eyes.)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

It takes more to be a Mutant than being a halfbreed. It specifically requires the X-Gene to register as a mutant. Otherwise Thor would have shown up on Cerebro a long time ago. By that logic, Hercules should be a mutant because he's half god and half human.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:43 am It takes more to be a Mutant than being a halfbreed. It specifically requires the X-Gene to register as a mutant. Otherwise Thor would have shown up on Cerebro a long time ago. By that logic, Hercules should be a mutant because he's half god and half human.
True, by Marvel Cannon their not(though for some reason i KNOW they both register to Sentinels as "Genetic Anomalies", which is another word for Mutations). I'm just pointing out where the lame-brain got it from...
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

The more I think about it, the more I like Ken's idea of using Justice League Avengers to reboot both Marvel and DC, basically saying that the last 15 years has been the result of something going wrong when Hal as the Spectre separated both universes. Have some outside cosmic force have interrupted the process and intentionally made Marvel and DC a worse place because they literally feed on misery, and have made changes to the universes solely to suit their own agendas (because I can be an unsublte jackass when I want to be).

I'd be so tempted to reveal that several characters in Marvel and DC are really sleeper agents created by said outside force, and when the truth is revealed, they turn on the heroes and try to destroy them. But yeah, in a middle finger to Infinite Crisis, I'd have some of the characters who were "stolen" escape, literally by one of them punching through the prison after relentlessly doing so for years, flying through in the exact pose as Earth-2 Superman when he escaped in Infinite Crisis.

And the hero who does it and frees everyone to alert both worlds to what's happening?

The original Captain Marvel. Leading a group of heroes who had been replaced with copies, such as Captain America, Thor, Carol Danvers, Squirrel Girl, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Dr. Strange, the entire Justice Society of America, the real Legion of Superheroes, the Martian Manhunter, Starfire, Nightwing, Steel, the Mileston heroes and so many other heroes.

So we get a new Marvel and DC team-up against this dark force from beyond the multiverse, the two universes get separated again, but it isn't as great as before, allowing for regular Marvel and DC team-ups that would occur whenever the writers wanted.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Are we talking Mar-Vell, Carol Danvers or Shazam here? They all three have VERY different leadership styles ....;)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:07 pm Are we talking Mar-Vell, Carol Danvers or Shazam here? They all three have VERY different leadership styles ....;)
The original Captain Marvel. Mar-Vell is dead, Carol is part of the heroes being freed (and is wearing her black outfit), and Shazam is one of those sleeper agents that needs to be defeated.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Ares wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:33 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:07 pm Are we talking Mar-Vell, Carol Danvers or Shazam here? They all three have VERY different leadership styles ....;)
The original Captain Marvel. Mar-Vell is dead, Carol is part of the heroes being freed (and is wearing her black outfit), and Shazam is one of those sleeper agents that needs to be defeated.
Billy Batson first became Captain Marvel in Whiz Comics #2, the February 1940 issue (which means it was on the stands in late '39). This was more than 26 years before the second Captain Marvel. (November '66)

Mar-Vell was the third Captain Marvel, debuting a little more than a year after the second. Monica Rambeau was the fourth.

Genis-Vell, I think was the fifth, although I tend to think of him as the second Captain Marvel Jr. (Fawcett's [now DC's] Captain Marvel Jr. clearly was the first Captain Marvel Jr. back in '41), as he was Mar-Vell's son.

Then Mary Marvel used the Captain Marvel name in the late '90s, and there were more of Mar-Vell's heirs. I do believe Carol Danvers is something like the twelfth or thirteenth Captain Marvel.

So, "the original Captain Marvel" refers to the first Billy Batson Captain Marvel. The current Billy Batson is a distinct enough character from the original that we consider him a separate character. This Billy Batson stole the name of the old wizard. The first Billy Batson never did.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, in much the same way DC made it clear that Pre-Flashpoint Superman (married with child) and Post-Flashpoint Superman were two separate characters that eventually got merged into a single person, I view Captain Marvel and Nu-Shazam to be two different characters. Maybe it's splitting hairs, but it's the stance I maintain. The Billy Batson we've seen in the main DCU since 2011 is not simply the newest incarnation of the classic character, he's a completely separate person. He's basically a less evil Earth-3 version of classic Billy.

Thankfully, we've seen classic Billy/Cap pop up from time to time, whether it was JUSTICE!, Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam!, Scooby-Doo Team-Up, Thunderworld! and Convergence: Shazam!. Plus there have been trade releases of some of the better Captain Marvel stories, and we're actually getting the Don Newton run right around my birthday this May.

But yeah, I'm basically just waiting and praying that sometime in the next 5-to-10 years we'll get a "Superman gets his red trunks back" moment where Cap gets his classic costume, origin, personality and name back.

csyphrett

Post by csyphrett »

Ares wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:22 am But yeah, I'm basically just waiting and praying that sometime in the next 5-to-10 years we'll get a "Superman gets his red trunks back" moment where Cap gets his classic costume, origin, personality and name back.
This will never happen as along as Geoff Johns is still writing for DC.
CES
Ken

Post by Ken »

csyphrett wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:23 pm
Ares wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:22 am But yeah, I'm basically just waiting and praying that sometime in the next 5-to-10 years we'll get a "Superman gets his red trunks back" moment where Cap gets his classic costume, origin, personality and name back.
This will never happen as along as Geoff Johns is still writing for DC.
CES
We know...
Ares wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:07 pm And if I'm feeling really petty, I'd make the villain an old Cap villain called the Three Faces of Evil, a Lovecraftian demon that is the literal embodiment of evil. And maybe make each head represent someone like Dan DiDio, Geoff Johns and Zack Snyder. Possibly with them being aided by some being calling itself Hypertime that resembles Grant Morrison.
Ken wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:06 pm Alternatively, we could just make a certain collection of Seven statues be caricatures of (in no particular order) Diane Nelson, Dan Didio, Bob Harras, Zack Snyder, Geoff Johns, Jim Lee, and Grant Morrison
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
csyphrett

Post by csyphrett »

The rumor going around is Wally West is the big bad of future state. Can anyone confirm? Because I would retcon everything that has happened to him under Didio in a second
CES
Davies

Post by Davies »

csyphrett wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:32 pm The rumor going around is Wally West is the big bad of future state. Can anyone confirm? Because I would retcon everything that has happened to him under Didio in a second
CES
There isn't really a single big bad of future state, unless you count the still-unidentified 'Magistrate', but Wally is being possessed by a demonic entity in the Flash section of the series.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
csyphrett

Post by csyphrett »

Davies wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:36 pm
csyphrett wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:32 pm The rumor going around is Wally West is the big bad of future state. Can anyone confirm? Because I would retcon everything that has happened to him under Didio in a second
CES
There isn't really a single big bad of future state, unless you count the still-unidentified 'Magistrate', but Wally is being possessed by a demonic entity in the Flash section of the series.
That's okay, I guess
CES