OOC: Against the Cult of the Reptile God - D&D 5E - Recruiting Closed

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Tattooedman

Re: OOC: Against the Cult of the Reptile God - D&D 5E - Recruiting Closed

Post by Tattooedman »

Would this be a good time for a "IANAI" Roll? Because I feel like Zasio has noticed something along the lines of what's being asked but don't recall it cleay & haven't been able to find a reference in older posts.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I may need an IANAI roll to remember what the meant.
Mich, where are you when I need you? ;~)

You've been given a pretty good description of where the cart entered the swamp to transport prisoners to their hidden headquarters.
Zasio would be able to track these traces to it's end point.
A swamp normally would obscure a lot of the traces, but between being a ranger who does this for a living and the repeated traveling your chances of tracking it back are pretty good.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Arkrite, is there anything you're waiting on from us before moving us along?
"Something pithy this way comes."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Was waiting on some feedback from the other players, but I think it's safe to say they're good on moving on.

Please let me know if you guys want to do anything in the morning.
Based on my understanding you were planning on getting up early, ditching the teenage girl and trying to track the trail through the swamp?

TM we will need a Survival check from Zasio (I believe it should be at a +6 due to Zasio's Natural Explorer ability).
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Was the old human 'wizard' or anyone else from the town going to come with us? Did we find anything of note on the captives or was the Gold Inn secured/searched (they're highly suspect since the assassin was staying/working there and the entire place seemed 'off')?
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ramne is too old and his leg is too injured for him to easily travel. Even moving around the town on the cleared level roads requires a lot of time and effort on his part.

If you approach him in regards to coming along he'll offer to send his familiar along to help Zasio do the tracking, but he's not terribly interested in going himself.

If you'd like to search the Golden Grain Inn I'll need an Investigation or a Perception check. Nobody is around to complain about you poking around the place.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Yeah, the Golden Grain Inn has a lot of adventure opportunities, but they all kind of assume that there are people still in the Inn to make things dangerous.

I figured I'd just speed you through the process, I didn't think spending a month crawling through an empty Inn would be terribly exciting.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

So I got a question in regards to this game and if there was actually a conclusion to it planned.
And the answer is that I had planned on doing a conclusion, but when TM missed my request for a roll I used it as an excuse to take a break. I've been feeling run down for months.
I figured a little time to catch up would be nice. And then I just never came back to it.

I've been having a lot of problems with getting maps that everybody can see, updating said maps, getting everything shifted and set up for each encounter is a fiasco.
The fights themselves are usually pretty fine, straight forward encounters where I worry about murdering all my players only to watch them steam roll the opposition.
Then I start worrying that people are going to find this to be too easy.

This is my first PBP game (that I remember) and it has been kind of a rough first game to run.
I don't care what Matt Covil says, this is a bad starting point.
This game does a few things I find tot be a bit of an issues.
First off the cast and location is HUGE. There is a reason for this, this is a mystery game for the first three quarters of the game.
My opinion is that mystery games where you're trying to figure out what to do next, or where to go next are easy ways to wind up with the players at a loss for what to do.
The problem from the DM side is that with a giant cast where who they are, what they do, and who they're actually aligned with is important so not only do you need to track who said what, but who the players have encountered... and with PBP games they run so long that unless the character is extremely memorable the players are likely to forget they even spoke to them.

Of course I've been wrong about that. Flynn, between bouts of (well founded if off base) paranoia, has noticed clue and details I thought nobody would notice. (He's far from the only player who did, but as he specifically called out what I thought was a obscure clue early in the game and I never forgot that)

Also, apologies, I did kind of screw you over on the secret doorways in the hall, you should have seen the last one too, but I wanted you to have a semi-challenging fight, at least without the goblins appearing in the middle of the hall.
Considering the results? I don't really regret doing it, those goblins got squashed! ;~)

The thing is with this game is that they expected us to spend "months" of time in game slowly going from person to person pulling minor clue after minor clue, and nevermind the fact that they want you to gaslight the players into an ambush to result in "captured players" part that most likely will result in a TPK due to a brutally difficult end game.

If anybody asked me? I'd suggest a much smaller, straight forward game where the heroes go out and fight evil, or take out an enemy stronghold.

Next time? I think I'll run a simple small M&M game.

That being said we are at the last part of the game. It's supposed to be a bit of a dungeon crawl.
If you guys wanted to try to close out the story I'm willing to run it, though I think I'll simplify the dungeon for my sanity... and probably yours.

Let me know if you're interested, no shame in saying "Thanks but no".
It's been a long time between and I understand entirely.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

I'm sorry I missed where you asked for a roll (although given what I was going through in RL around that time, I'm not surprised).

As for finishing the game - I'm cool with doing it, but understand if others don't. No judgements from me.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I'd be down. Would being lvl 3 for the dungeon be advised or was it meant for lvl 2s?
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I believe I was aiming for level 4 before you reached the final boss.

Though in the original they set it up so you'd be level 1, maybe 2, before encountering an opponent who is immune to most non-magical damage (there is literally two magical weapons in the original game, good luck finding one of them and the other belongs to a friendly character you'd have to kill to get it) and is probably a threat to a Level 5 party.
I swear they spent more time talking about how much money the entire town has, and none on how a reasonable group of people is supposed to resolve this campaign.
Not even kidding, there is a listing of treasure for every building in this town.
Flynnarrel

Re: Interest/Recruitment D&D 5E - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Closing Jan 19

Post by Flynnarrel »

Shock, Stavaros, interested in continuing?
Shock wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:43 am Tyragorn
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:37 am Georgia Fiddler
Shock

Post by Shock »

I'm fine for continuing.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

I'll be honest my interest in this game has kind of waned.
I'm not doing as many PBP games as I used to in general, most of my D&D has been over discord.
Nothing personal but the interest isn't really there for me.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

That's fair enough, and I understand entirely.

Thanks for playing with us, Stavaros. It's been fun and I hope to see you around in the future.
If it's okay I'm going to Georgia Fiddler remaining in the town to assist the Mayor with the multitude of cultists .

I think three players is doable.
I'll just need a survival check from TM to get us rolling.