IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan
Passive Perception:14 | Init:+4 | AC:17 | HP:14/14

Aldan nods at the mayor's words. He'll pick a corner of the room and unload the weapons, copper, and silver. He continues to talk as he does so.

"They could be massing but do also recall they have the skills of a master assassin to draw on and by now they've freed the younger priest, Misha for whatever magics she can bring to bear.... assuming she can find another Snake Unholy Symbol, that is." Aldan says, glad now that they took both priest's profane accessories. He idly wondered if the huge statue in Abramo's chamber might serve for her magics and would she have four or so townsmen carry it around for her just so she can access her dark gifts. The image was amusing but he quickly turned his thoughts back to this situation.

"Mayor, do you have ideas what we should do? Is there anyone in town who might know the Swamps? Our intelligence suggests the root of this evil is there." he asks. "Or, if there is another thing within this town that would be more contributory to Orlane's health?"

He then lowers his voice so that his words do not carry. "Also, the young woman we rescued seems intent on following us, whatever we do. We will take one more try at convincing her otherwise, but if that fails could you inquire if there are sleeping draughts that we might be able to lace her drink with? We fear for her safety if she sneaks after us." Aldan didn't add how abysmal she was at rogue-craft.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Shock

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 21 AC:18

"Is anyone watching outside? You'll want to have warning if anything happens. And anyone who can should help sharpen the blades of the weapons we brought. They're not in the best of shape."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

As Aldan's mind lingers on the thought of the men carrying the statue he is struck by the thought that they'd have to knock out a few doorways just to fit the statue out, and that the art piece was so fragile could be ruined by a small child throwing a rock. A powerful cleric brought low by architecture and unruly children.

"I worry you are right about them amassing. But we have people watching them, and if you already collected the weapons than the odds are truly against them," The mayor says with a smile that might be genuine, "There are only a few people in this town I'd fear facing in a fight. And at least four of them are in this room. More if I count people who aren't from this town."

He gives the table a respectful nod.

At the question about the swamp Zakarias looks lost in thought.

"People rarely spent much time in the swamps. Between the monsters and the lizardmen it wasn't worth the danger to go wandering through there, and it was hardly good for farming," He winces, "There were a couple of people who preferred their privacy who lived out that way, but we rarely saw them. And I haven't heard of them in ages. I fear that they were likely the first victims of these attacks."

Ramne looks up from where he's still trying to scavenge food from Cirilli's plate, "If you're going after the cause of this, I could offer Whisker's help. He's not much in a fight, but he's surprisingly good at tracking by scent."

In regards to Aldan's quiet question, Zakarias gives his head the slightest of shakes and quietly responds, "There's nobody in town I'd trust to make such a mixture. I could offer you a shim to place in the door. It would prevent her from getting out her room until somebody removed it."

At Tyragon's comment he nods, "We have a few people we can trust watching. As for your other suggestion, we can get somebody working on that. If you can just lay the weapons out the back door?"

Zakarias sends his sons out back to watch on the weapons personally, with a couple people to tend to the weaponry.

Zasio gets a quick message in response. The long and short of it is an invitation to join him if you require anything, and a wish of good hunting.

Ten minutes later a couple people come into the building, and frantically look for the mayor. Finding him they quickly talk off to the side. The major gives one of them some harsh words, then sends them back out a moment later before rushing over to your table.

"Bad news, they are on the move. It looks like they've gather a small army of people and they are planning to attack us. The good news is that they're armed with firewood and the occasional wood axe or pitchfork."

While deadly a pitchfork lacked the reach or maneuverability of a spear, and a wood axe was a brutal weapon to be struck with it was far too heavy to use safely against an armed foe with any level of skill.

"By the sounds of it a number of them are so badly injured that they're barely standing," He says, somewhat at a loss, "They gathered at the Constable's office to arm themselves. One of my scouts was so close they manage to overhear their plans."

He shoots a nasty look at the doorway, in regards to the scout who's already long since gone back out, "They're sending the majority of the forces back around to the east to follow the road around. Grover, his companions and a handful of others are coming from the bridge on the south. They're planning on attacking at the same time, to try to catch us from both sides."

"Apparently he was afraid we'd hold them up on the bridge if they all tried to come up from the south. Catch them where only a few people across could pass making their numbers worthless," Zakarias frowns, "And they're right, we would have. Damn them."

"I've got a number of fighters, with the weapons you liberated and a few of our trained combatants I think we can handle the people coming from the east. But we need somebody to handle the south. If I split our forces I don't know I'll have enough trained fighters to hold the line. I know I don't have much right to ask, but I could really use your help. If you could hold back, or even defeat Grover's men we'd have a far greater chance of success."

"Will you help us?"
OOC: The people coming from the south appear to be Grover, his two friends, who are all wearing light or medium armor and carrying swords. There's also a gentleman from the inn who doesn't appear to be carrying any weapons or armor of note, and two or three town's people who aren't armed.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Aldan looks to his companions

"I think everyone at this table can get behind addressing the Corrupt sheriff and his folk." Aldan says. "Right?" he confirms with his fellows.

"Mayor, you just mind what I said about the assassin they have on their side." He makes sure the mayor has the shifty man's name and description.

"I think I'd like see the stores and pantry that the inn has. A lot can be done with a barrel of oil, a bag of flour, a lantern, even a bag of dried peas or beans. If they have foreign spices, that can be fun too. Think that'd be possible?" the crafty elf asks.
[Also, what time of day is it?]
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Georgia Fiddler
HP: 16/16 AC: 15
Spell slots: 2/3 left
Arkrite wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:16 am.
Ten minutes later a couple people come into the building, and frantically look for the mayor. Finding him they quickly talk off to the side. The major gives one of them some harsh words, then sends them back out a moment later before rushing over to your table.

"Bad news, they are on the move. It looks like they've gather a small army of people and they are planning to attack us. The good news is that they're armed with firewood and the occasional wood axe or pitchfork."

While deadly a pitchfork lacked the reach or maneuverability of a spear, and a wood axe was a brutal weapon to be struck with it was far too heavy to use safely against an armed foe with any level of skill.
Georgia smiles and gives the others a triumphant look. "Oh how inconvenient for them."
"By the sounds of it a number of them are so badly injured that they're barely standing," He says, somewhat at a loss, "They gathered at the Constable's office to arm themselves. One of my scouts was so close they manage to overhear their plans."

He shoots a nasty look at the doorway, in regards to the scout who's already long since gone back out, "They're sending the majority of the forces back around to the east to follow the road around. Grover, his companions and a handful of others are coming from the bridge on the south. They're planning on attacking at the same time, to try to catch us from both sides."

"Apparently he was afraid we'd hold them up on the bridge if they all tried to come up from the south. Catch them where only a few people across could pass making their numbers worthless," Zakarias frowns, "And they're right, we would have. Damn them."
"Well while they might be crazy and evil, we couldn't count on them being stupid." Georgia said.
"I've got a number of fighters, with the weapons you liberated and a few of our trained combatants I think we can handle the people coming from the east. But we need somebody to handle the south. If I split our forces I don't know I'll have enough trained fighters to hold the line. I know I don't have much right to ask, but I could really use your help. If you could hold back, or even defeat Grover's men we'd have a far greater chance of success."

"Will you help us?"
OOC: The people coming from the south appear to be Grover, his two friends, who are all wearing light or medium armor and carrying swords. There's also a gentleman from the inn who doesn't appear to be carrying any weapons or armor of note, and two or three town's people who aren't armed.
Flynnarrel wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:46 am Aldan

Aldan looks to his companions

"I think everyone at this table can get behind addressing the Corrupt sheriff and his folk." Aldan says. "Right?" he confirms with his fellows.

"Mayor, you just mind what I said about the assassin they have on their side." He makes sure the mayor has the shifty man's name and description.

"I think I'd like see the stores and pantry that the inn has. A lot can be done with a barrel of oil, a bag of flour, a lantern, even a bag of dried peas or beans. If they have foreign spices, that can be fun too. Think that'd be possible?" the crafty elf asks.
[Also, what time of day is it?]
"Count us in, without a doubt." Georgia says immediately backing up Aldan's statement. "Once we all break the cult here in town, things will be secure enough for us to focus on tracking down their lair in the swamp. So we'll deal with the ones coming from the south, while you focus on the rest."

A thought occurred to Georgia and after they were done talking to the Mayor she turned to the others. After making sure Cirilli was out of earshot she said. "So I had a slightly risky idea I wanted to run by you guys. What if we let Cirilli participate in the battle? Either with us or preferably, if we could convince her, on the other front. Right now she's scared and angry and really wants to lash out at the ones who put her through all that, this might be a chance for her to do so. Most of the enemy are poorly equipped or in rough shape so this is the closest we'd get to a safe situation for her to let it all out. If we do that she might be more willing to stay behind when we go after the head of the snake. What do you guys think?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan nods at Georgia's suggestion. "If we can get her a sling maybe. Something to keep her out of the thick of it."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn looked troubled. "I worry that she'll be reckless. But better for her to be reckless here than follow us into the swamp. We'll have to hope this will be enough for her."

"Do you know who is with the Sheriff? Is there any hope for them? It may be hard for you if you have to fight people you know or love. Even with poor weapons, they'll be dangerous. Especially if they're as mad as Aelric."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

When you mention that you are going to the bridge Ramne perks up, "I'll go with you."

He props himself up a bit, "I was once a wizard of some power. And I still have magics to make any archer's lives miserable."

"I'll go too," Cirilli says.

Ramne gives her a critical look.

"I'll help him get around," She says, sliding her plate over to the older man, "Keep anybody from sneaking up on him.

Ramne quickly helps himself to some potatoes and with a mouthful says, "Yes, this lovely child can help me get around."

The girl runs off to get herself another plate of food, allowing you to speak freely for the moment.

"Grover has had a couple of young men following him around for a few weeks now. We've never seen them before, but he claimed they were old friends of his that he'd called in to help protect the town in these hard times," Zakarias says, "It appears they were to help him against the town. As for the others..."

He sighs, "I would love to know what madness has taken them, and if it can be cured. I will tell you what I told our trained warriors: If you can take them alive, I'd appreciate it, but at no point are you to risk your lives for theirs. If we fall there will be none left to help us."

"Your description of this assassin matches the one the scout gave me of one of the men with Grover," He said, "As for the foodstuffs, you could always ask Belba. She's not keen on people raiding her pantry, but all things considered she'll probably be accommodating if you give her a good reason."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

"Oh.... good." Aldan says with little enthusiasm to hear the forces they were facing included an accomplished assassin.

His head whipped around to hear the old man was a wizard. By all accounts, this elder human hermit was barely subsisting. They had seen the man's ramshackle hut! Had that been a ruse? Was he working on some topic of research in secret, looking in to arcane mysteries? The smell of him would indicate otherwise, but wizards were nothing if not eccentric. In elven societies you couldn't swing a cat familiar in a room without hitting at least 3 wizards, it seemed. Surely he knew more of the situation in Orlane than he first let on. But Aldan also knew wizards wouldn't be rushed. He pursed his lips and decided not to pursue any further questions. So far, he had doubts about the man's power. On one hand, any wizard with the magical might to be useful against opponents with steel could easily have a more comfortable life at a court or university than this man must have in his woodland shack. On the other, wizards were an odd sort. He'd have to reserve judgement until he saw the man in 'action'. Either way, the old man had been cadgey or harmless enough that the cultists hadn't caught up to him yet so he probably wouldn't be a hindrance and could potentially keep the girl out of trouble. "Glad to have you." Aldan said.

"I'll go see what the inn-mistress might have in the way of lanterns and oil and other tricky things." Aldan says hoping he could get a bag of flour as well, maybe they even had a small bellows, but if not, a shovel would work for his tricksy purposes.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

"I don't think we need to fear an assassin in a straight up battle. There's a reason most use poison and deception to do their work."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

The elf just shakes his head at the large man's statement. "A good assassin will make sure it's never a straight up battle, Tyragorn." he warns.

"But it will be what it will be." he shrugs before looking for the inn mistress.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

"We also need someone to guard the children. We don't want them using the battle as a distraction to get at them."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Belba is hesitant to provide you with a lantern, and flour, but even Aldan's best sweet talking can't get him a set of hand bellows. She only has the one and the look in her eyes tells you that is valued like gold for her cooking. She does let you know about an old shovel they keep out back. Old being the operative word. It's still sturdy, but you feel a few good days of work will probably be the end of it.
However it'll see you through your plans.

Zakarias nods to Tyragorn's comment, "We've had a few goblin attacks, the local taverns were renovated to be safehouses for people who couldn't get to the temple in time. Once we're out they'll lock up. It won't stop anybody who's determined, but it'll take them a good long time to get in. And I'll leave a spear with Ollwin, anybody who tries chopping a hole will be in for a poor day."
OOC: Please let me know if you need anything else, otherwise we will be move the scene along in a couple of days.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Any lamp oil she can provide?
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

The lamp oil seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back, and while you do get a small amount of oil you also get a lecture on how quickly the local area could go up in flames if you use it irresponsibly, even mentioning the recently burned down building in town.

Aldan is saved by the news that the troops are on the move. The mayor quickly gathers his men and leaves. As you leave you can see that the storm shutters have been put on the inn, and the doors are locked securely behind you.

Cirilli seems to have stolen a storm shutter from another building which she carries as a makeshift shield. Between this and her weapons, and assisting Ramne walking, she seems to have her hands full. Ramne is putting on a cheerful expression, but also seems to be shuffling along slow enough that you have a good lead on him.

As you approach the bridge you can see Grover, his two companions, the bar fly that Aldan recognized as an assassin, as well as a handful of people you don't recognize who appear to be armed with nothing more than rocks or firewood.

The catch sight of you just as you approach the bridge. They hesitate before slowly strolling forward, weapons drawn.
OOC: You get one vial of oil and a stern lecture about fire safety :lol:
Right now you're all to the south of the inn. The opposing sides have yet to get to the bridge yet, but it looks like both sides will meet at the center of the bridge if you all continue forwards. The bridge is about twenty feet across, so just enough four four people shoulder to shoulder.
Let me know if you have any crazy plans, and an initiative roll for when combat starts in earnest, please.