IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Arkrite

IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Arkrite »

Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Prologue: Fateful Meetings

Two Weeks ago

The time has come.
Over the last two days each of you has received a job offer and an invitation to meet your teammates.

And so as the heat of the summer evening presses down, you find yourselves in the dwarven district of Ramelean looking for a tavern named simply, Fate. Finding the Tavern is easy, finding entry much less so. The gruff scowling woman at the door bars the way, seemingly uninterested in any patrons larger than a dwarf.

“The chairs, the tables, the bar, and,” She says pointedly, “The ceiling are built for dwarves. Best move along, try the Platinum Tankard, you won’t crack your skull standing up there.”

Upon mentioning your name, or the name of the man who invited you the reaction changes.
Tyragorn wrote:She nods approvingly of Tyragorn’s strapping figure and weapons, and cheerfully waves the Paladin to follow her
Zasio wrote:A look of knowing understanding and warmth passes her face, and she politely invites Zasio in.
Georgia wrote:She shakes her head in long suffering amusement as she leads Georgia in mumbling though a smile, “Oh, that boy and his bards”
Jessica wrote:Jessica is met with a polite bow and a note how the children of Pelor were welcome in Moradin’s home.
Aldan wrote:Aldan is met not with disdain or casual cutting remarks, as one might expect from a dwarf to an elf, but instead with a shocked surprised look on her face. You even catch her glancing back to look at your ears as if she was maybe seeing things. She never does seem to get her bearings back by the time she’s brought you to the table, and quickly scampers off after shooting one quick confused look to your host.
You’re lead to a building behind the Tavern, and into a private room, away from the noise and bustle of the city.

This one room seems to have been made with taller races in mind. The chairs and table are all exquisitely made, engraved, and stained, and either they see little use or they’ve been kept in pristine condition. On the table sit chilled wine and ale, alongside plates of cheese and sausage for people to eat while they wait.

The half-elf at the head of the table was at one point a great bear of a man, though the missing arm makes him look smaller now. Ten years ago one would have still heard stories of the Lion of Blackmoore, but these days it seems those stories were a very long time ago. His long blonde hair and well-kept beard shows streaks of grey, but his blue eyes show signs of energy that age and his missing limbs can’t conquer.

“Thank you all for coming,” Jarrak says as the last of you arrive, “You all know who I am. I brought you all together to look into the darkness that seems to be lingering over Orlane. What you do not know is each other.”

“I’ve asked you to join me for dinner tonight to meet the people you will be working with. I don’t know that any of you have met before, and I would like to give you the chance to meet somewhere nicer than a dusty, beaten road.”

"Each of you has strength, skills, or cunning that will help see you all through, and I have faith in your potential to overcome anything set in you path."

“But enough of my prattle. Please, introduce yourselves,” He says with a smile, offering over the table to you.
Last edited by Arkrite on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flynnarrel

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Prologue: Fateful Meetings

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

He was the shortest person in the room but rather than be cowed by that he took on an air of haughty elven confidence. He'd once joked that the unofficial elven motto was 'Eileirol o tal pai shi tal pai shaeraes.' or 'Anything you can do we can do better.' He held on to that thought now.

Jarrak had warned him against any of his shenanigans. Apparently he was good friends with Buddy's family and when Aldan's actions landed the young human man in hot water with The Golden Road Trading Company, Jarrak wasn't pleased. He warned that Aldan better not lie to the people who would have his back as he looked into the strangenesses of this podunk little town. Challenge accepted!

Aldan smooths out the well adorned robes he wears and adjusts the rapier on one side of his belt opposite the sheathed length of wood on the other. He held his features as if the rigors of life have pulled on them trying to add years to the otherwise agelessness of his sharp elven features.

"Greetings All. I travel as Aldan Tallymin, tasked with sussing out the truth in this 'Orlane' town. I shall do so with all the authority granted to me by the writs I bear, nobly sealed." At least, he felt very noble when he sealed them.

"And while I am gifted with ancient elven magics..." he gestures and a ghostly hand appears gripping his drink and lifting it a few hand-spans from the table, no denying he had elven magics (inherited through his bloodline), "...please don't expect me to throw devastating fireballs or sprays of cold about; my talents lie more in information gathering and divining solutions, if you will, to problems we might face. I'm also good with people - few will lie to a master of the Arcane Arts." [Aldan knew he certainly wouldn't!]

"As such, in combat, I do have my blade and I'll support as I'm able, but I'm glad to see such strongly clad and armed companions. Nevertheless I am committed to seeing our mission accomplished and that we return relatively intact." [Jakkar hinted at possibly a bonus for Aldan should everyone make it back home. Whether that bonus was fewer broken teeth Aldan couldn't say.]

He retrieves his drink from the eldritch hand and takes a swallow before sitting down again. Lies told: 0.

There's a silence into which Aldan imagines Jakkar scowling.

"Okay, okay..." Aldan says smiling, his tone looses the sonorous gravitas he'd adopted to be more light and airy with amused tinkles, "I just had to get that out of the way. Actually, I'm Aldan Edgetrimmer (it sounds more impressive in elven). I like to think I'm the 'cunning' that our good warrior mentioned earlier. I really am good at... well... coming at things sideways and thinking around a problem be it a mystery or a locked door. And while everything I told you was true it was still a... manipulation of the truth. I wanted to showcase what I do but not actually estrange you all, hence I'm coming clean now. I'm not a wizard, though I find that most people assume elves are and while I AM tasked to look into this Orlane thing I have no actual royal authority to do so. I recommend we not tell the Orlanians that though. Actually, I have a few other ideas about that, IF we decide to try deception to aid this investigation. That's all." Aldan takes a much bigger quaff from his mug and a bite of sausage. With quick hands he pockets another link of sausage, the gesture seems automatic.

As the days of travel wore on Aldan had wished he maintained the fiction of Tallymin, Diviner and mobile accountant to a fictitious Duke. Maybe he could have begged off morning chores by saying he had to study from his spellbook. Despite the grumbles that came with physical work and the lack of comforts, his companions would find Aldan curious about their abilities and lives and he was always quick with a story (who knows of how much veracity) and a joke.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 13

Tyragorn tried not to let his mind wander as the elf spoke at a dizzying pace. He frowned when the speaker introduced his second identity. While he didn't have any (other) reason to mistrust, the deception made him uncomfortable by its nature. But he was confident Heironious would guide him to the truth when it was needed. Once the elf finished speaking, Tyragorn stepped forward.

"I am Tyragorn, in the service of Heironious. There is something dark happening to the people of Orlane and I intend to seek out the evil and destroy it. I will be thankful to any who lend me assistance and will pledge my shield to their protection."
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Arkrite wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:30 am And so as the heat of the summer evening presses down, you find yourselves in the dwarven district of Ramelean looking for a tavern named simply, Fate. Finding the Tavern is easy, finding entry much less so. The gruff scowling woman at the door bars the way, seemingly uninterested in any patrons larger than a dwarf.

“The chairs, the tables, the bar, and,” She says pointedly, “The ceiling are built for dwarves. Best move along, try the Platinum Tankard, you won’t crack your skull standing up there.”
Georgia gives a chuckle. "Wouldn't be the first time a Fiddler played in a Dwarf bar, I've learned the ground rules. 'Don't catch yer horns on the chandeliers and never order a half-pint of beer."
Arkrite wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:30 am Upon mentioning your name, or the name of the man who invited you the reaction changes.
Georgia wrote:She shakes her head in long suffering amusement as she leads Georgia in mumbling though a smile, “Oh, that boy and his bards”
Georgia gives her a wink, "Ah you've definitely met some of mah kin then, the mix of 'zaperation and laughter tends to follow where we roam. Especially the ones that are bards."
Arkrite wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:30 am You’re lead to a building behind the Tavern, and into a private room, away from the noise and bustle of the city.

This one room seems to have been made with taller races in mind. The chairs and table are all exquisitely made, engraved, and stained, and either they see little use or they’ve been kept in pristine condition. On the table sit chilled wine and ale, alongside plates of cheese and sausage for people to eat while they wait.

The half-elf at the head of the table was at one point a great bear of a man, though the missing arm makes him look smaller now. Ten years ago one would have still heard stories of the Lion of Blackmoore, but these days it seems those stories were a very long time ago. His long blonde hair and well-kept beard shows streaks of grey, but his blue eyes show signs of energy that age and his missing limbs can’t conquer.

“Thank you all for coming,” Jarrak says as the last of you arrive, “You all know who I am. I brought you all together to look into the darkness that seems to be lingering over Orlane. What you do not know is each other.”

“I’ve asked you to join me for dinner tonight to meet the people you will be working with. I don’t know that any of you have met before, and I would like to give you the chance to meet somewhere nicer than a dusty, beaten road.”

"Each of you has strength, skills, or cunning that will help see you all through, and I have faith in your potential to overcome anything set in you path."

“But enough of my prattle. Please, introduce yourselves,” He says with a smile, offering over the table to you.
"Thank you kindly for the Invite, Mr. Jarrak, sir. Uncle Jesse had a message for you. He said, and I quote, 'Tell the old Lion that I hope he's handling things all right and hopes this young'un can give you a leg up on things.' he'd have probably gone on with more jokes but Auntie Lizbeth smacked him upside the head. She sends her love by the way."

Georgia turns to the others. "Howdy, pleasure to meet y'all. My name's Georgia, Georgia Fiddler. You might have heard of the Fiddler family, we've gotten up to all sorts of shenanigans over the years. Anywho, like many of my kin I've taken up the wandering life. While I'm primarily a musician and entertainer, I have a whole heap of useful skills and tricks that can come in handy when things get rough. Little magic, little swordplay, little word play, little foreplay, and a lot of songs played."

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:12 am "Okay, okay..." Aldan says smiling, his tone looses the sonorous gravitas he'd adopted to be more light and airy with amused tinkles, "I just had to get that out of the way. Actually, I'm Aldan Edgetrimmer (it sounds more impressive in elven). I like to think I'm the 'cunning' that our good warrior mentioned earlier. I really am good at... well... coming at things sideways and thinking around a problem be it a mystery or a locked door. And while everything I told you was true it was still a... manipulation of the truth. I wanted to showcase what I do but not actually estrange you all, hence I'm coming clean now. I'm not a wizard, though I find that most people assume elves are and while I AM tasked to look into this Orlane thing I have no actual royal authority to do so. I recommend we not tell the Orlanians that though. Actually, I have a few other ideas about that, IF we decide to try deception to aid this investigation. That's all." Aldan takes a much bigger quaff from his mug and a bite of sausage. With quick hands he pockets another link of sausage, the gesture seems automatic..
"A fast talker and a shyster. Ah see." Georgia narrows her eyes as she looks at Aldan as if trying to get his measure. "Ah can appreciate a quick tongue and a clever mind, we got plenty of both in my family, but I'm familiar of the damage those things can do when misused." Her smile returns. "Hard as it must have been, that bit of honesty is mighty appreciated. Looking forward to working with you 'Mr.Tallymin'."
Shock wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:29 am Tyragorn

Tyragorn tried not to let his mind wander as the elf spoke at a dizzying pace. He frowned when the speaker introduced his second identity. While he didn't have any (other) reason to mistrust, the deception made him uncomfortable by its nature. But he was confident Heironious would guide him to the truth when it was needed. Once the elf finished speaking, Tyragorn stepped forward.

"I am Tyragorn, in the service of Heironious. There is something dark happening to the people of Orlane and I intend to seek out the evil and destroy it. I will be thankful to any who lend me assistance and will pledge my shield to their protection."
"Well bless mah soul, a real knight in shining armor type! Uncle Jesse always said the best stories happen around folks like you."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Since we've gotten to reactions...
Shock wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:29 am Tyragorn
Aldan barely contains a smile. "Ah, I've know many Erroneous people in my life. Glad to know I'm in the company of a Man who vehemently embraces his Erroneous Ways."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:42 am "A fast talker and a shyster. Ah see." Georgia narrows her eyes as she looks at Aldan as if trying to get his measure. "Ah can appreciate a quick tongue and a clever mind, we got plenty of both in my family, but I'm familiar of the damage those things can do when misused." Her smile returns. "Hard as it must have been, that bit of honesty is mighty appreciated. Looking forward to working with you 'Mr.Tallymin'."
As much as he wanted to to capitalize on the references to 'foreplay' and 'quick tongues' the young elf had never really flirted with anyone he wasn't trying to seduce a gold purse from. He decided less-said was more-prudence in this and bowed in acknowledgement of Georgia's words. "Ah do believe Ah'm gonna enjoy y'all's company as well." He says, mirroring her manner of speech credibly.

Edit: Added character name to top of post.
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Aldan wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:28 pm Aldan barely contains a smile. "Ah, I've know many Erroneous people in my life. Glad to know I'm in the company of a Man who vehemently embraces his Erroneous Ways."
Tyragorn took a step back and smiled thinly. He was pretty sure he was being baited but he would stay above it. "Fear not, I hold myself to a higher standard than your expectation."
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio:
The time has come.
Over the last two days each of you has received a job offer and an invitation to meet your teammates.

And so as the heat of the summer evening presses down, you find yourselves in the dwarven district of Ramelean looking for a tavern named simply, Fate. Finding the Tavern is easy, finding entry much less so. The gruff scowling woman at the door bars the way, seemingly uninterested in any patrons larger than a dwarf.

"Jarrak asked me to join him here tonight."
A look of knowing understanding and warmth passes her face, and she politely invites Zasio in only to lead him to a building behind the Tavern, and into a private room, away from the noise and bustle of the city.

Zasio kept quiet, allowing Aldan to be the first amongst the group to speak. As the elf worked his way through a long and winding explanation of himself the half-elf subtly looked to Jarrak as if to ask a question but didn't, then returned his full attention to Aldan as he revealed the facts behind his entire opening.

The man who identified himself as Tyragron seemed to be everything that Jarrak had claimed him to be. It was comforting to know that a paladin was amongst those Jarrak had gathered. It helped to relieve the uneasy feeling Zasio had been feeling in the pit of his stomach. It was at this point that the Tiefling woman, Georgia, spoke up. Despite her obvious infernal blood, she seemed to possess a zest for life that left Zasio realizing, once again, that life had left him jaded.

Zasio was about to introduce himself to the group when Tyragorn & Aldan began trading verbal jabs at one another. That could become annoying to hear all the time he thought to himself as he waited for there to be a pause long enough for him to speak up.

"I am called Zasio Blackthorn." A slight pause, where he told himself it was to allow the others time to commit the name to memory but in reality it was to make himself more comfortable with his chosen new name. "Like the rest of you, I was contacted by Jarrak about the suspected troubles in Orlane and have pledged my skills as a Ranger to investigate the matter."
Last edited by Tattooedman on Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Plan b

Post by Plan b »

Jessica Bright

Jessica listened intently to the others, scowling during the later part of Aldan's explanation and blushed slightly and stiffled a giggle at Georgia's mention of "foreplay" and merly listened to the warriors intently.

After she was sure the others were finished with their introductions, she spoke up. "My name is Jessica Bright, i'm an acolyte in service of Pelors priesthood. I've been granted the smallest blessings of Pelor's everlasting grace. My area of expertise is the healing arts, but i'm also versed in the rites wrathful light and some other escoteric rites. I'm also trained in hand-to-hand combat, and the destruction of the unholy."

"Pleased to meet you."
She ended with seated curtsey.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

"Alright, what do any of us know about Orlane and it's situation?" the elf looks about the room.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio:

"Just that Jarrak feels something is amiss there, and has gathered us to look into the matter for him."
OOC wrote:Fixed that matching PC color twinning issue
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:42 am "Thank you kindly for the Invite, Mr. Jarrak, sir. Uncle Jesse had a message for you. He said, and I quote, 'Tell the old Lion that I hope he's handling things all right and hopes this young'un can give you a leg up on things.' he'd have probably gone on with more jokes but Auntie Lizbeth smacked him upside the head. She sends her love by the way."
"Your Uncle has never quite forgiven me for not clapping at his shows," Jarrak notes wryly.

"Alright, what do any of us know about Orlane and it's situation?" the Aldan looks about the room.

"Just that Jarrak feels something is amiss there, and has gathered us to look into the matter for him." Zasio said.

Jarrak pauses, taking a sip of his wine, "Currently we have more questions than answers, for all my investigating all I could discover was that the merchant caravans that normally go through that area are having issues. A number have gone missing, a few have come through just fine. Could be bandits or monsters on the path, heaven knows that forest they go through isn't safe by any means."

"Normally I'd have written it off at that, but we have reason to believe that there's something more sinister going on," He looks over at Tyragorn.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan follows the glance to the hulking young paladin. "Is there Eeeee-vil? Tell me there's Eeeee-vil." the trickster rogue says almost giddy.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Plan b wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:56 pm Jessica Bright

Jessica listened intently to the others, scowling during the later part of Aldan's explanation and blushed slightly and stiffled a giggle at Georgia's mention of "foreplay" and merly listened to the warriors intently.

"Pleased to meet you."[/color] She ended with seated curtsey.
Noticing Jessica's reaction, Georgia gives her a wink and a smile."Its a pleasure sugar. It'll be nice to have someone else to have a little girl-talk with while we travel."
Arkrite wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:15 pm "Your Uncle has never quite forgiven me for not clapping at his shows," Jarrak notes wryly.
Georgia chuckles and raises a mug in salute. "That's Uncle Jesse for you. Loves acting the goat."
Arkrite wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:15 pm Jarrak pauses, taking a sip of his wine, "Currently we have more questions than answers, for all my investigating all I could discover was that the merchant caravans that normally go through that area are having issues. A number have gone missing, a few have come through just fine. Could be bandits or monsters on the path, heaven knows that forest they go through isn't safe by any means."

"Normally I'd have written it off at that, but we have reason to believe that there's something more sinister going on," He looks over at Tyragorn.
Georgia was listening with rapt attention, nibbling on a piece of cheese.
Flynnarrel wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:13 pm Aldan follows the glance to the hulking young paladin. "Is there Eeeee-vil? Tell me there's Eeeee-vil." the trickster rogue says almost giddy.
Georgia turns to him. "Give me a heads up next time and I can add in a dramatic thunderclap when you say it like that. I can make the candles flicker too."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn nodded at Jarrak's prompt. "People have been disappearing and coming back sick. Wrong." He shook his head slowly. "Something evil is happening to them."