[OOC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Supernaturalist

Re: [OOC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator (Recruiting 1)

Post by Supernaturalist »

I'll update John and Iona's character sheets with their new Complications as well as newly purchased skills when I get home from work this evening.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

I notice that John "left out" the detail of seeing the man run away from the storage unit.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Supernaturalist, do you want to stop playing John?
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Supernaturalist

I don't mind playing John, but after a couple of missions I'm skeptical of his utility for the types of missions we typically do as a team. Perhaps John could make appearances occasionally (if you desire). I'm not sure if Kenseido will continue to play Aiden, but perhaps he would like to bring in a different character to team up with Diego and Iona, especially since he's gamed with us a bit and now understands much more of the lore and team dynamic than before.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Sakura and I have plans for Aiden in the future. There are elements of this game that would be problematic for me full time. There are possibilities to mitigate them, like maybe a freelancer hired by the party so he isn't working for or against anyone specifically. I was working on an idea for a hacker/forger like Mia Sorvino's character in The Replacement Killers.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

John is a good character. From my view, all the PCs bring different strengths and weaknesses. In a comic or even table top that might take the form of each going in a direction on a mission that optimizes that and syncing up relatively quick real time. The explosives guy would plant and make bombs while the grifter would steal key cards and soldier would assesses escape routes.in a pbp game, that falls apart a bit since to do that in a mission the GM needs to manage multiple threads in time sync keeping it all consistent based on player actions. The obvious solution is all PCs go on each task, but that results in some tasks being higher to fail. For example, the explosives guy bringing the grifter and soldier along isn't really needed and can introduce maybe a bad bomb set by soldier or grifter except if the planting of explosives scenario is tailored correctly.

There was a couple of those scenes in that last mission where John might excel, but others where his skillet wasn't super useful. Same with Diego and Aiden.
Supernaturalist

I have added the new complications to both John and Iona. I have not yet decided upon how I will spend the pps, but I may save them...at least in Iona's case.

I wanted to post for Iona tonight, but I'm very busy (and need to post for Kenseido's game). I'll post for Iona first tomorrow morning and then for John afterwards.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Supernaturalist wrote:I don't mind playing John, but after a couple of missions I'm skeptical of his utility for the types of missions we typically do as a team. Perhaps John could make appearances occasionally (if you desire).
It is alright if you want to set John aside and potentially play him at a later time. If you end up wanting to play him again at a later time, that is also alright. For now, John will be reassigned.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Supernaturalist, I am curious. Are you purposely trying to dodge the issue, or did you really not see there were multiple signs that we should have bugged out long before the beasts broke out?
Supernaturalist

kenseido wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:20 pm Supernaturalist, I am curious. Are you purposely trying to dodge the issue, or did you really not see there were multiple signs that we should have bugged out long before the beasts broke out?
There are lots of things I know OOC and especially in hindsight. In hindsight it's a no brainer that we should have left immediately. Did Aiden feel that we should have bugged out from the moment that the noises started (or at any point before the monsters broke out)? He never said (or hinted) that we should take that course of action at any point. And it is a factual statement that John was the first person to suggest abandoning the car (and storage unit) in order to flee.

John's assessment of the group to Ascendant Chen has been pretty evenhanded. John has even left out (what he feels) are impugning information about Diego and Aiden; he can do that because the mission was at least a partial success (and there's no need to stir the pot further). No one is gonna stick up for John except John; and he's not about to fall on his sword over something he thinks he did not do wrong based on his knowledge and goals at the time. If other people can convict him of wrongdoing in the eyes of Chen (and Null), then fine. He's not going to hang himself though.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

I mean, seeing the guy running away was a major red flag that we should leave.

Most of what was seen was only known by John. Aiden couldn't make an assessment because he didn't know about the earlier encounter with the guy. And I wasn't going to meta game.

But once an illegal activity was detected, we should have had a bug-out plan. We couldn't wait out a police or fire investigation. There are a dozen reasons why we shouldn't have tried to stay there. But John didn't even investigate what the actual threat was and took an action. The wrong action is almost guaranteed in that case.

No, I don't expect John to hang himself out. But there is a difference between not knowing his mistake and trying to hide the mistake. The latter would involve Deception.
Supernaturalist

Bugging out was always an option (even after the creatures revealed themselves). John clearly stated it was time to leave and Iona concurred. Aiden claimed that there was no where nearby to land Shrike, but the group still could have left, walk/ran to a distance far from the storage units. They could have even ran to a location more suitable for landing Shrike and then extracted from there (if extraction were still deemed necessary).

John has praised Aiden's decisions to decloak and fire on the Abominations, but he could just as easily have criticized it. After all up to that point Stronghold (and the government) had no idea that a powerful Hadron-Tech aircraft and Imperator-faction personnel were in Las Vegas. From that point on they do. Aiden did not ask John's permission to decloak the aircraft and fire on the creatures. He simply did it. That action brought tons of attention our way. I'm just trying to imagine how John would react if brought before, say, a court martial inquiry. John would not accept being the leader solely for purposes of blame, and yet not be consulted on major, situation-changing decisions like decloaking Shrike and crop-dusting the Abominations in full public view.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

We should have bugged out BEFORE they broke free. We should have had a plan to bugout as soon as a situation was detected. Hiding when John saw the security for the other storage unit fleeing was the wrong thing to do. We could have "driven" out in the car under Iona's power.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

I think that is the difference between player and character. Not every player thinks or sees the way their character might. In a game of super powered cops I played once, I wasn't that cop-like even though the operation was successful. My character still got grilled by his superior for the breaches in protocol he made. Even if his actions were tactically and strategically sound he did things a law enforcement officer shouldn't have.

As for having Iona move the car around ... that would have drawn attention. It isn't subtle. When her magnetic control is used it is visible. Very obvious.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

In that case, abandoning the car would have been optimal.

Of course, at that time, it was unclear about how aware Aiden was of her powers.