For all of your Play-By-Post games.
mrdent12

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Abduction

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 2
CND: Haunted
Form: Solid

Diego analyzes the teen. If not for the lack of eyes or face that would indicate staring, it would be as if Diego was looking into the teens soul. As it was though, Diego seemed like a silent floating blob. "The egotistical doctors agents interfering with our missions is nothing new. Being one of the doctors spies changes nothing except maybe she will cooperate. We will speak more of the package being being given later. It's contents in so far as they don't compromise my mission are no of interest to me. Who she took it from will be.", finally says Diego breaking his silence.

"What did John say about it? Did he just investigate it and say it was nothing to worry about?", inquires Diego. The next words would be of the utmost importance. If John had failed his guard duty by not properly checking out the noise, another agent sent to help the mission would prove incompetent. If he gave a false assessment of the situation, Johns judgment would now be suspect. Regardless of the answer, this was not going to look good for John.

Diego had hoped he could explore for a day or so without having to babysit the group. It seemed every time he departed to scout someone did something to make their missions more difficult. Part of Diego was questioning even why he brought people along on simple missions anymore.
Insight 8, well the bad rolls are coming now. Haven't got above 7 for the last 10 rolls.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr
HP: 1, Condition: Fine

"He said he didn't know what was going on, but it was none of our business."

He pauses.

"I suppose his opinion changed when they broke out and tried to kill us. Maybe with some advanced warning, we could have left before they broke out."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
Form: Mist

So, poor judgement. Why Chen had thought to trust the soldier as a liaison was beyond Diego. Perhaps after returning to Hadron City Chen will think twice. For now, they were stuck with a military man who regarded an impending attack of Macrovirus creatures as none of their business. "Did Iona compromise itself? The military will doubtless be on high alert now because of the reckless attack with this plane and they will know Hadron City technology is around. If the vehicle is not compromised and Iona did not broadcast it's powers, the mission may still be possible.", remarks Diego.

Shifting gears to the kidnapping target, Diego starts the inevitable digging. "What is the package you are picking up and who is the info being stolen from? Your experience in matters outside transport does not seem extensive, so do not hold back. If my mission fails because of something you hold back, I will ensure Sokolov does not get the data he sent you here to retrieve. Clearly you are a valuable asset, but I will not abide an objective of Sokolov to compromise Hadron City.", says Diego. He speaks matter of factly and without threat. It was all said in a manner similar to someone who didn't need to make any effort to have force behind his words.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr
HP: 2, Condition: Fine

"Iona flew the car into Shrike. I don't know if the police saw it or not."

He pauses and looks at the cloud. Diego was no doubt trying to use this form to be more intimidating.

"It's a data crystal. I don't know where it was obtained. I am not willing to let you review the contents."

He considers Anna briefly. He really wasn't given guidance as to which was more important: the data or the spy. But if he expresses concern for her, it would definitely indicate her importance. And possibly give Diego a means of manipulating him.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Diego kept up the line of questioning. Aiden was getting defensive, that much was clear. It didn't matter. "I will not press on the contents of the crystal for now. Sokolov and his ego violates all manner of boundaries in pursuit of his mad science. Doubtless, the contents is just another flight of his ego. If the contents or the crystal become an issue for the mission, I will need to know the contents. If it comes down to choosing ensuring Hadron City is not fortified even more or Sokolov getting his information, I will ensure Hadron City is not compromised further.", says Diego. In truth, he didn't care at this moment of the crystal contents. Down the line possibly he would deal with that, but the mission was teetering on the edge. One wrong move and it would all fail.

"Was Ionas display of power or the plane captured on camera? If any of you were seen, going out in public will only cause more issues. Picking up the crystal has become much more difficult.", inquires Diego.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr

Aiden nods in agreement to Diego's insistence that the package does not compromise the safety of Hadron City. That seemed reasonable and definitely not something Dr Sokolov would want. How the shapeshifting cloud was going to verify that was another issue. Aiden will just need to be cautious and never let his guard down.

"The place had cameras, but the power went out when they broke out. So, Iona's actions probably weren't captured by them. But we were probably on camera when we came in. And as I mentioned, I don't know how close the police were or how much they saw."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

"Any of you going out jeopardizes the mission now. Iona is a high priority target of Stronghold being a product of Hadron City science.", states Diego bluntly. "Anyone associated with it will be tagged as well. For picking up the data crystal, you will doubtless be needed to be present. The target will not expect another courier of Sokolov.", continues Diego. He pauses for a moment to think. "After the exchange is made, if given enough time we will grab the target and stash her at the motel drugged or knocked out for the duration if she does not want to go willingly.", continues DIego.

Pausing again, Diego resumes. "How much do you know of Anna Semenv? Your short answers suggest you are playing things close to the chest. Given the three of you being compromised now, all the information on her you can provide will help mitigate some of the risk.", asks Diego.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr
HP: 2, Condtion: Fine

Interesting. There really isn't much left to keep "close to the chest" as Diego puts it. He is glad that Diego isn't pushing to make the exchange himself. But at least with all of them knowing, he doesn't need to make a clandestine attempt to conceal her identity by approaching multiple targets. He can go straight to her.

"She's a world class Russian dancer. She trained in ballet in Russia and France before studying contemporary styles in the UK. Her father is on the Stronghold Board of Directors"

That's probably why they are interested in her. Something going on they need his vote on.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

John Steiner
HP:3
Cnd: Normal
PP:0

John let’s Aiden tell his side of the story. At first, John’s facial expression morphs into one of annoyance, teetering on anger at one point. But he resists the desire to interrupt or have an outburst. Instead, he allows The Dark Ascendant and Aiden to continue their discussion until it starts to move from the events at the storage facility to details about Anna. At that point, John does “butt in” after Aiden comments on Anna’s background.

Wanna really know what happened, Ascendant? It’s a little more complicated than what Maverick here told you.” There is an obvious perturbed tone in the soldier’s voice, but John resists the urge to start casting blame.

When I got to the storage facility there was a man outside of the very storage-unit that the commotion later developed. He was annoyed with something going on inside the unit, and I tried casually to see inside as I walked by, but he closed the door and locked it. Later, the banging noise started; and it came from the direction of the man’s storage-unit. It was a single banging sound, nowhere near as loud as it later became. There was never any indication that multiple creatures were inside. Later when I cracked the storage-unit door to look out, I saw the same man as before running away from the storage unit. The banging continued...a dull thud followed by a resounding clang. It was not clear at first if the source of the noise would even be able to break out or just struggle indefinitely. But then the noise worsened briefly just before the storage door was torn open and the power went out. What emerged was not just a single Abomination but five of them. With the door originally locked and security camera outside, there was little interference I could have safely done prior to them breaking out. And it seems clear now that once the noise increased in earnest, there were 5 Infected behind that door. There’s nothing that I could reasonably do to prevent them breaking out and there was no time to leave. I was hoping to sit quietly and allow them to rampage off after civilians. But once they began to destroy the storage unit doors, it was clear we had to flee. I tried to coordinate an escape to an extraction area where his aircraft would be safe to pick us up. Aiden decided to attack the creatures with his craft’s weapons. I’m not saying he was necessarily wrong. He ended up destroying most them, which allowed us to escape. Heck, he probably even saved my life as I was poorly armed to fight against them. But that option almost certainly heightened the military response to our presence. Our one bit of luck seems to be that Aiden’s contact is none other than Anna Semenov herself. And while the heightened military presence complicates things, the other fact seems to have given us a direct way of meeting her discretely.

When John finishes, he focuses his attention on The Dark Ascendant instead of Aiden. He’s curious as to how the Ascendant will assess both accounts.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr

Aiden's jaw drops when John mentions seeing the man running away from the storage unit.

"You saw him running away and didn't think that was cause for concern!"
Supernaturalist

John Steiner
HP:3
"You saw him running away and didn't think that was cause for concern!"
"I was concerned, but not enough to risk breaking into his storage unit infront of a security camera."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr

Aiden just stares at the ground and shakes his head in response. Whatever military training John went through must have been ridiculously pathetic.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:
mrdent12 wrote: spycraft 23
int 11
Diego reflects on the material from the mission briefing with Ascendant Chen. Dimitri, Anna's father, has a background that to Diego's trained eye reads like a Cold War era Russian spy. It makes a kind of sense. There are generally two paths to retirement from field work: the private sector, or diplomatic roles such as ambassadorial work overseas.

With that in mind, the information they have on Anna reads like it would be a really good cover for a spy. One that offers access to high society but also more shady elements as well.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Supernaturalist

Iona
HP: 1
VP: 0
EP:3
Dominion Point: 0

Iona listens as Diego, John, and Aiden speak. On one hand she knows that she is expected to give some account of what happened, but on the other she considers carefully who she might offend with her comments. Diplomacy is not a perfect science. If it were, I'd be better at it...but here goes.

The one person that she desires to offend the least is Aiden. She has tried recently to make him feel more comfortable and she desires very much to keep that going. When there is a slight lull in the increasingly tense conversation between John and Aiden, she speaks up. "We were misfortunate indeed that a Infected presence occurred in the very building where we decided to work. In hindsight, I believe that Aiden dealt with the creatures in the best way possible. The chance that either Aiden or John might receive a catastrophic exposure to the virus meant destroying them was necessary, despite the risk of having our cover blown. How this affects our ability to meet and apprehend Ms. Semenov going forward...well...I'm not certain."

Looking to Diego, Iona's soft voice addresses him in a gentle, confident tone. "....but I'm sure that The Ascendant will find some way to turn the present circumstances to our advantage."

The young cyborg then glances over at John. "Like Warrant Officer Steiner, I did not perceive that the commotion in the nearby storage unit posed the threat that it did. In past missions, our team has blown our cover by making too much noise or using our powers too overtly. I was reluctant to make the same mistake this mission, and so I erred on the side of passivity at first, hoping that the noise would die down or if something did break free from the door...that it would pursue other people or targets. Make of that what you will. But I think we need to focus on what we are going to do next. It seems to me that both our missions are still salvageable."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr

Aiden is about to speak up again, but holds his tongue. They either see John's incompetence, or they don't. Aiden would just take it upon himself to make sure John doesn't harm the rest of the mission.

"Before you start making plans, Anna does not know me. There is a simple challenge/response identification."