Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP: 0
VP: 0
Cnd: Normal
PP:0
EP:3
Dominion Point: 0
OOC: The following post assumes that Diego informed the group about some of his concerns regarding the stealth-capabilities of Aiden’s aircraft given Stronghold’s improvised tactics for locating super-science, stealth aircraft.
When Diego mentions the technical problems of keeping Aiden’s aircraft undetectable, Iona’s keen intellect begins to prioritize all the factors affecting detection while adding a mathematical weight to each one. Over the next few minutes, a sort of algorithm begins to take shape in her mind.

While there is no such thing as a perfectly indetectable physical object, there are no doubt further measures which we could take to thwart the awareness of our enemies to Aiden’s aircraft.
OOC: Here is Iona’s Expertise: Science roll: Expertise: Science roll for Stealth Solutions: 1d20+15 16. Yikes, I rolled a 1. That would give me a total of 16, but I'd certainly like to get higher than that as the stealth capability of the aircraft is critical to our future success. I'll spend my HP. Here is the reroll: Expertise: Science reroll: 1d20+15 24. Ok, I rolled a 9 (plus my bonus and +10 modifier) equals a 34 total. I’m curious also if there any other tactics or modifications that Iona might notice beyond the “speed vs. detectability” relationship? After Sakuro gives me the results of the roll, I’ll edit this post to reflect Iona’s “discoveries”.
After a few moments, Iona is confident in her analysis. Though she is addressing Diego's concerns, she speaks to the whole team, occasionally glancing from perons to person. "If the disruption of air currents is Stronghold's primary method for detecting this aircraft, then we can mitigate their success by acheiving the proper speed, altitude, and location within local air currents. If we are required to be out of the optimal range of any of these factors, then I advise moving at as slow a speed as possible to minimize our turbulance-signature. To acheive maximum stealth capability requires constant monitoring of weather patterns by myself in order to predict pockets of air that will mask the turbulance generated by the engines. Furthermore, this will require regular, fine adjustments by Aiden to capitalize on these air pockets. This level of stealth can only be acheived with both of us present in the aircraft. Otherwise, I can provide some basic weather information which can be applied to the auto-pilot parameters if Aiden needs to leave the aircraft. The aircraft can then maintain a speed and altitude that minimizes our turbulance-signature."

Iona pauses for a moment to ponder if any additional information is required.

"I beleive that's summarizes our options."
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sakuro

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Abduction

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:Given the Shrike's approximate dimensions Iona is able to estimate an ideal elevation and speed for the craft to travel at, which would reduce the likelihood of being detected based on air currents.

Further, if given enough data on weather patterns in the Las Vegas area, she believes that she can find air pockets that would be ideal to move in which would more effectively obscure that craft. These air pockets are going to move and fluctuate, however. Iona would need live data, and Aiden would need to make regular adjustments to account for these changes. That would require enough of your attention that it would take Aiden and Iona away from any other tasks they might want to undertake.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr

"Shrike can't just fly indefinitely. I need to make adjustments periodically; and to do that, I need to engage the virtual interface. Like in the storage unit. It would definitely attract attention from anyone around me."

His eyes go back and forth as he processes.

"Ideally, I could set her down near some caves or in a cavern that would already have disrupted airflow. I don't know if there is any place like that. It would need to be out of the way, so no one accidentally bumps into her."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 2
CND: Haunted
Form: Mist

Diego simply listened. The fact they were pretty much in a flying submarine didn't exactly excite him. One thing was clear, they would need to do the vehicle repairs in the plane if they were to use it. An alternative was to steal or use taxi's, but both had major downsides. "Whichever is the most effective way to hide the plane from detection do it. They know it is here now and will be looking for it. We will need the vehicle for the abduction or risk a theft of one. Whichever method is the most feasible, keep in mind we are on the clock for grabbing the target.", chimes in Diego.

After saying his peace on that matter, he shifted to after the repairs and plane was hiddenish. "If there is no designated meeting time, I assume Sokolov gave you a number to call or place to give the time of the meeting. A simple challenge/response is useless if no way to arrange a time to meet up. I wouldn't be concerned if the target has the information on hand. After grabbing her, we can extract its location if needed. If she is loyal to Sokolov by virtue of contract, mistaken loyalty, or some leverage he has on her getting the data location will not be hard.", says Diego.

Aiden was really the wrong person for Sokolov to send. If Diego didn't know any better he would swear that Sokolov was actively trying to sabotage the missions of Praetor Null. On every turn his agents made the missions more complicated. Plus, Iona was saddled with the group.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr
HP: 2, Condition: Fine

Aiden, already working on the car, responds to Diego.

"I was told she is a dancer at this theater."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

So it was waiting. "Once the vehicle is ready, we will head to the theatre and wait for her. You will approach Aiden and follow the transaction. I will follow and when opportune we will grab her. I trust the ships systems and you can find a place for us to finish repairs Aiden. If needed, John and I can provide security around the area.", says Diego.

Saying his last orders, Diego let the others get to work or give more gripes. He wasn't happy about not being able to go out and get more info. Scoping the theatre would have been nice. Getting the security patterns in light of the Iona and gun ship sighting, nice as well. Leaving the remaining three to their own devices was not an option now. Not after John missed the obvious signs of something being up, Iona had been spotted, and the ship had been seen. Diego trusted john once to not mess up, he wouldn't make the same mistake again.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr

Aiden stops working on the car.

"I will take a quick sweep around, no more than 30 minutes, to find the most secure place to work on the car."

He heads back to the cockpit.
Unless anyone stops him, Aiden will do as he stated.
Not sure what kind of roll would be necessary.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

During his search for a secure place to land Shrike Aiden finds a canyon about twenty-five miles West of Las Vegas. It doesn't see secure, however. Though it is about thirteen miles long, there is a building stationed along it's length and people both drive along the length of the canyon as a leisurely space, as well as go down into it on foot at irregular intervals. Perhaps at night this activity would be lessened, but waiting to see doesn't fit within Aiden's self imposed time limit, so he moves on. Twenty-five miles South West of Las Vegas Aiden finds another canyon, but this too attracts a lot of attention from people. Along this canyon there is the entrance to a cave, though people are drawn here as well.

Any sizable geographic features Aiden finds that his aircraft might be able to fit into and be sheltered by, people already know able and appear interested in going to.
OOC wrote:I made a check for Aiden. He finds some notable landmarks, but nothing secret or hard to find. Unless you are willing to wait until night, these places are going to be fairly well traveled.
As Aiden makes his search, there is a notable increase in air traffic. Several fighter jets begin sweeping over the area again and again. In their wake are larger, slower moving aircraft. Helicopters dots the Las Vegas area, and for several miles outside. Moving about in a coordinated fashion. Though a helicopters breaks out of formation on occasion to fly off to some unknown endeavor.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr

Aiden reveals the two locations to the others, for recommendations. He also mentions the increased air traffic.
Supernaturalist

Iona
HP: 1

After listening to Aiden's report, Iona remains silent to consider various options. I doubt this ship has the capability to enter and function outside the Earth's atmosphere. Besides it would take an enormous amount of fuel just to get us there. So, strike that option. But just maybe...

"Perhaps we don't need to rely on natural areas within which to hide...there may be a man-made solution. You could search your database for any abandoned airfields within the state. Perhaps one of them may have an unused hangar within which we could shelter the craft."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden

Aiden listens to Iona and frowns. "That literally sounds like the first place they would send troops to investigate."
Supernaturalist

Iona
HP: 1
"That literally sounds like the first place they would send troops to investigate."
"Investigate what?" Iona asks in a relaxed, soothing voice. "For all they know we appeared for some unfathomable reason and then left. We have left no indication that we mean to hide the aircraft in the area. Even so, we could pick an airfield far away from Vegas if need be."

The beautiful cyborg pauses then shrugs her shoulders. "Suit yourself, but unless your craft can enter and function in low-Earth orbit, I don't see how we are going to hide unless we risk landing in some remote nature area at night and hope that campers and locals don't spot us."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Aiden Starr
HP: 2, Condition: Fine'

There it is. Condescending, pretentiousness. Of course they think we are still here, there are planes and helicopters in the air searching for us.

Shrike is right. We would be better off without her. Best to avoid working with her in the future.

Aiden ignore Iona and turns to Diego for his input.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

"We are already exposed. Staying within the detection net is folly and only further puts our mission at risk. Since splitting up is no longer a valid option, further scouting and watching of the theatre is no longer viable. I may be able to get in to the city and complete both missions potentially, but that is very high risk without backup or a vehicle for transporting the target.", says Diego. He wasn't going to dignify Iona's words with a response. Exposing her powers always got them into trouble down the road. The more Stornghold saw of them, the better equiped they would be to work against her.

Diego paused for a moment to think if he could figure the likely size the search would cover for the duration they were repairing the vehicle.
Military Expertise 23 for how far away they'd need to be outside the scanning area and sort of predict search patterns
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:Diego was infantry, and doesn't have as firm a grasp on air force tactics, strategy, and equipment. However, given Aiden's description of the positioning of forces, it seems like they're focus much of their effort on the Las Vegas area. Further out they have less resources combing through skies. Estimate fifty to one hundred miles out before their security really diminishes to "safe" levels. At that point they're likely relying on satellites and stationary meteorological detection systems. Which won't be as good at more minute changes such as a single aircraft.

One hundred miles isn't that far, given the speeds jets fighters can move when they need to.

As for the search patterns, Diego isn't able to see them himself. Aiden has described the helicopters as mostly stationary, or not moving around excessively, with one occasionally breaking off to perform ... some action. The jets and the larger planes are moving in an irregular fashion. Possibly trying to be unpredictable.

Also worth noting, If Stronghold gets involved, they may bring Hadron-tech drones.