For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Arkrite

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: Predator and Prey

Post by Arkrite »

Felix Ian Xavier - Mr. FIX I.T.
HP: 3

Previously:

Felix considered Mimi's request.

"Depends on how it's set up, but if it sends out a message to a security company, or police, or even a phone call I should be able to get something sent our way," Felix said after thinking about it, "But if it's just an audible alarm the best I can do is making it ring to the tune of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida."

Now:

"Well, either they have a serious bear issue, or our girl was through here," He pauses, "Or there's another creature with giant claws living in the area."

"Hoping it's option number two."

He looked at the wreckage and concluded that he had no idea what any of it meant. Sherlock Holmes he was not.

He passed his staff to the robot arms in his coat, and proceeded to pull some electronic pieces from his pocket, absently working the pieces together, "Anybody having any luck on picking up the trail?"
OOC: Might be hard/time consuming to do the security system rewrite the old fashion way, but using magic (Machine Control) should make it pretty easy. Let me know if it's possible, or if a skill roll is needed.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Phillip Dremmin
CND: fine | HP:3
Array Settings wrote: Blood-Drinker Array: Applied Obfuscation
Auspix Array: Rat senses
Vampire Array: Rat Control

"The girl was here." Phillip says producing the scrap of sweater he retrieved from the fire. "I don't know where she went from here though. Though I may be able to ask..."

Phillip concentrated on any rats in the area. He'll 'ask' them how long ago they were, initially, scared off (but then had a veritable feast of garbage). He'll ask what direction the scary thing ran off.
"Something pithy this way comes."
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Cheyenne
HP: 2; Condition: Huntress

All the signs were there around her. Again that odd tangles of sights scents sounds and the other strange phenomena that was part of what she ""Saw"Smelled"Heard"Felt"" when she was hunting someone or something. She saw the garbage can and all the smells and other phenomena filled in an almost instinctive picture of a scared girl rummaging for whatever food she could before she kept running trying to escape what was hunting her. She felt the others around her almost peripherally but they were not what she was after and her prey called to that instinct in her as she moved on following her quarry as relentless as any wolf on the hunt.

Cheys perception check to contiue the hunt _: 1D20+8 = [16]+8 = 24
much better barring any bonsues from others help

Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

GM: Thought I let you know before Ark, but yes, you may do that.

Through a combination of efforts, Cheyenne is finally able to grasp their next heading and leads the way deeper into the woodland. It seems like the young wendigo had used this area as something of a 'basecamp' during her first foyer into the woodland, though why she never tried to escape back down the road is initially unclear. The most recent arcane tracings avoiding the known deartrails completely, leading deeper into the woodland and away from most traces of civilization.

While the team rushes after the woman to avoid getting left behind, Philip puts most of his focus into his scurrying scouts. There's about as little field-mice and other such vermin in the area as he'd expect. A prevailing sense of predatory fear lends no doubt as to their disappearance, and they waste little time in giving him dire warnings of 'The Thing in the Woods', helpfully including where it'd gone as if to keep the vampire away from danger. Naturally he uses this information to assist Cheyenne further, and together the pair of them make a good effort in combing the woodland.

Distantly, accompanying the sound coyote yips is the sound of a dying elk. A gunshot rings out across the forest, the sound's origin lost amidst the pouring of rain.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Felix flinched at the gunshot, continuing to fit the electronics in his hands together. He turned his head left and right but couldn't place the direction of the shot.

He glances over at Cheyenne and asks, "Suppressor?"

"If anybody has any stealth skills, or abilities, this is probably the best time for you to start using them," Felix says, "I'm a giant glowing target, but there's no reason why any of you need to be in the firing lines. I'll keep the staff up for anybody who needs light to see."

Felix wasn't wrong. With his forcefield up he all but glowed in the dark from the forcefields alone, not even counting the LED lighting coming off his coat. The light from his staff was enough to easily see by, but it was also a beacon in the night.

"And remember, our damsel in distress might not be very happy to see us. She won't know we're here to rescue her, or that we were sent by her boyfriend. She might try to take our heads off because she's scared, or thinks we're with the nut job hunting her," He notes, clicking the last piece together before pulling a cable from the device up to his mirrorshades.

With a click he turned it on, a quiet constant beeping came on. A few quick movements and the beeping slowed from a near constant sound to a series of rapid beeps. With a motion he pointed it at Cheyenne, then Neko Mimi, Phillip, and finally Kira. With each one the beeping became slower and slower until it was silent.

"Huh, what do you know, it does work better outside the city," He says largely to himself.
OOC: Going to stunt a power off of Felix's Mirror Shades, if it's okay:

Proximity Detector (detects magical life forces)
Acute to allow for it to selectively detect things that are more human sized, and to selectively remove Felix's friends from the detection.
Counters Concealment to work in the woods in spite of the cover
Detect... to detect.
Radius to work in all directions.
Only really detects that there's something bigger than a wolf at Short, Medium, or long range.

Not going to solve the problem, but might give some warning if something's getting close to us.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Cheyenne
HP: 2; Condition: Huntress

Felix wasnt the only one who flinched at the shot. She instinctively made herself a smaller target and crouched closer to the ground lowering her profile.
He glances over at Cheyenne and asks, "Suppressor?"
She shook her head "No; suppressor would reduce the range on the weapon, and its accuracy and in this weather he'd need it all to hit a moving target in the dark, She explained looking around at the falling rain everywhere. "Rains most likely muffling the sound. We need some way to triangulate the shot."

"If anybody has any stealth skills, or abilities, this is probably the best time for you to start using them," Felix says, "I'm a giant glowing target, but there's no reason why any of you need to be in the firing lines. I'll keep the staff up for anybody who needs light to see."
"I might have something but I'll need to wait till I get closer."

Cheys own detect magic isnt acute but it is accurate and ranged so she should be able to team with Felixes new stunt to get a combined accurate reading on where to go specially with his countering concealment
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Foxy

As the shot rings out, Kira instinctively switches to her smaller fox form. They're unlikely to be hunting fox in these woods, right? she thinks to herself.

"I can be stealthy," KIra says. "But I have no idea where to go. So I'm not sure what stealth will do for me.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

"I... uh... that..." Felix looks bewildered then asks, "If he can't see you he can't shoot you?"

Felix shrugs after a moment, going back to splitting his attention between following Cheyenne and poking at the device in his hands. She must have had some kind of protective power if she wasn't worried about being shot by a magic gun. He felt a bit of envy there.

His forcefield was nice, but his arm was living proof that it wasn't perfect.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Phillip Dremmin
CND: fine | HP:3
Array Settings wrote: Blood-Drinker Array: Applied Potence (Wall Crawling 2, Leaping 2, Speed 4)
Auspix Array: Enhanced senses
Vampire Array: Obfuscate

At the shot Phillip went invisible entirely. He also pumped dark strength into his limbs and would shadow his friends. If the ground was too leaf-strewn he would leap from branch to branch on silent feet.
Wheeljack Prime

Post by Wheeljack Prime »

Mimi "Neko Mimi" Nomura
Dodge: 10, Parry: 10, Tough: 6/3, Fort: 6, Will: 8, Perception: +10
HP: 1, Condition: Normal
catsi563 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:47 am
"I might have something but I'll need to wait till I get closer."
"You go left and I'll go right, that should let us triangulate" Mimi proposes to Cheyenne. "After that, I can try and get behind them and drive them forward, towards you." She pulls up her scarf and seems to vanish, moving with all of her stealth, ears perked up to hear for the sound of a shot or movement.

OOC:

Perception: 1d20+10 21
Stealth: 1d20+15 17
Last edited by Wheeljack Prime on Mon May 16, 2022 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

It takes some time for the group to regather their wits and head deeper into the forest. Pinpointing the shot would've proven extraneously difficult on it's own. However, with the aid of Philp's rats, Neko's scouting, Cheyene's natural tracking, Felix's devices, and Kira's scrying the way forward becomes clearer. The sounds of the forest, already muted by the rainfall, seem to have slowly dyed away into the distance the further you go. A strange chill permeates this part of the woodland, and it takes some time before you all realize you've been walking in the midst of a fogbank.

Once, Felix finds himself nearly tripping into what seemed to be the remnants of a spike pit saved only in a nick of time by Neko's quick reflexes. When the group stops to investigate the trap, they'd notice that the spears within have all been broken. Any remnant traces of blood are hard to make out, and a sneaker seems to have been impaled on one of the sticks. Cheyenne's able to bolster her tracking from here, and before none-to-long the group is traveling again.

Thunder flashes through the woodland, and for a moment Philip thinks he saw dark shadows distantly watching them. On a follow-up flash a few seconds later and the shadows are none-to-be found, and his rats offer only their fear.

In a moment of quiet someone checks the map, and see that your path leads close to someone's cabin. A dirt road apparently winds around this area, connecting with the main a few miles northward.
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

What scents is Phillip able to pick up? He knows the girl's scent but not the hunter's. Is there a blood scent to follow?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

To Philip's nose, what remnants blood was in the spike trap was the girl's own, but they're only traces of it at best by now. However, when he raises his nose up in the air, there's a sharp scent of something distinctly sweet nearby. From this distance it's difficult to tell who it belongs too, but he might be able to determine if it's the victim as well as latch onto it.

GM: Investigation to identify, perception to pinpoint.
------------
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"Let me look ahead at that cabin," Kyra sends her scrying eye toward the cabin, and even inside if necessary.

Perception: 1D20+10 = [16]+10 = 26
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Phillip Dremmin
CND: fine | HP:3>2
Array Settings wrote: Blood-Drinker Array: Applied Potence (Wall Crawling 2, Leaping 2, Speed 4)
Auspix Array: Enhanced senses
Vampire Array: Obfuscate

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:53 am GM: Investigation to identify, perception to pinpoint.
Phillip unconsciously licks his lips as he scents the air. He'll be revulsed by it later but they had a victim to find right now.
inestigate: 1d20+10 26 good grasp on identification
Perception: 1d20+12 13 ha! hero pointing that
Perception reroll: 1d20+12 14 uhg, but 24