[IC] The New Mythos: Trials and Tribulations

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: Predator and Prey

Post by jmucchiello »

"I'm going to cast my senses outward and see if I can find anything useful. So if you need to talk to me, give me a shake as I might not hear you," Kira says getting into the van. "It isn't fast but we might get lucky."

Perception: 1D20+10 = [11]+10 = 21
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Investigation
Starting from the last entries and moving to the first presents itself as jarring to say the least. There are no dates on any of the pages for Philip to draw a completely accurate timeframe on them. Yet at a glance, the diary seems to be divided into three distinct sections.

The most recent pages are cold, almost devoid of any emotion as details about victims are laid bare across the surface. Details about their lives are meticulously recorded in sharp strokes, schedules laid out each with a single timeframe circled. Their species and abilities are acknowledged with countermeasures drafted in response. The most recent one, for your missing girl, speculates heavily about what abilities she might possess. It seems the only definites were about physical prowess being on the extreme end, special attention given to her sharp rows of teeth.

Pages are torn out between these and the next, which are obviously written by Edmund's granddaughter with the frequent mentions about him. It seems that he'd given her the journal after finding it in an old box, and she'd taken to using it again. Apparently she was staying with him for a few months over the summer. At some point it seems her grandfather was in an accident, evidently occurring around the time of Inheritance Day with mentions about monsters. Over the course of a few more pages, her thoughts seem to start spiraling, and she keeps talking about having strange visions creatures killing her, worrying heavily about what was happening to her, before a final ominous two word note before the torn off pages.

Help me.'

In complete contrast to the other sections of the book, are the oldest and most poorly written entries detailing the daily life and worries of a young elementary school girl. There's talks about her dog (as well as a multi-page heartfelt letter dedicated to when it passed away), talks about her parents whenever they ground or praise her, and several excited mentions about how 'Pappy' promised to teach her shooting when she was older. These seem to peter out somewhere after her eighth birthday, after which it evidently remained lost for years.
Kyra, after several moments scoping around the area with her scrying, can't seem to get a good bead on anything that indicates the presence of either killer or victim. With the rain and several days between the last sightings in a well traveled forest, the assistant would've known it was a longshot this early on. She does notice a few signs around the edge of the forest that are meant to warn off travelers to the Fellwood's resident coyote population. Likely more as a precaution to not wander to deeply, as she can't find any signs of them this close to town.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Time passes by slowly as Philip peers through the journal, the group still firmly in place near the Fellwood's entrance. Those outside by the rain-soaked woods can just hear the distant sounds of a coyote's yips. Soon these fade, and once again only the oppressive sound of rain remains.
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Phillip
[I'm assuming different handwriting marks the three distinct sections - the young girl's, her as an older girl, then a meticulous man's hand?]
Phillip shares the contents of the diary as best he can - its original status belonging to a young girl, then its entries from an older (possibly teen) girl the summer of Inheritance Day, the talk of accidents and 'monsters', then the girl's visions and growing paranoia (or divination). Torn pages bookend when [presumably] the Grandfather started using it as a kill book.
[Is there anything he can determine like handedness from the slant of the letters? He'll also get a scent from the book, both the daughter's scent and the man's [or most recent author's]]
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

From Philip's analysis, The original and current owners of the diary were right-handed. Not exactly uncommon. When he tries to get a scent off the book he's almost overwhelmed by the strong, pungent smell of formaldehyde. This likely explains why the air in the basement was so flammable. While distinctive in it's own right the actual scent of the writers has beeb utterly obscured.
------------
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Felix Ian Xavier - Mr. FIX I.T.
HP: 3

"I was really hoping she'd say it was the cabin on the hill at the end of Range Road 53 north west," Felix grimaced.

A forest was a huge place to search, and the only idea he had that might get the girl to head their way was also going to let basically everybody for miles know they were coming.

"Okay, how about this?"

"Phillip, Neko, could you go sneak into that building, please? Look for a map of the area, they'll probably have one with the roads and buildings, hunting areas and campgrounds listed. And any notices about areas being off limit. Place looks a little mom & pop, maybe they'll have some pictures on the wall with the target on it. Take pictures, try not to break anything or make any noise, people who live out this way have shotguns and aren't keen on intruders."

Felix picked up the books, and passed them to the giant amazon bounty hunter, "Cheyenne, can you use these to see if you can pick up any trails? We're out of the city, and we know he was out here recently, maybe it'll be easier to find a lingering trail with your powers."

"Kira, I'm not sure how you're doing your search, but would you be able to try going up high and looking down? Get a bird's eye view of the area. I don't know how this guy works, but if I was a psycho killer I'd try to keep my targets as far from people as possible so I don't get caught. Maybe you can see some kind of cabin or building away from the others?"

Felix could have done the same, but he would have been as subtle as a firework going off in the night sky in his glowing jacket and rocket powered hoverboard. If Kira could pull it off nobody would even notice it had happened.

He brought up a googlemaps shot and put it up on the one of the screens, in case Kira wanted an image for reference.

"I'll try to see if I notice any magic going on, but unless there's something big or we're already pretty close I don't know how much luck I'm going to have."
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Cheyenne
HP: 2; Condition: Huntress
Felix picked up the books, and passed them to the giant amazon bounty hunter, "Cheyenne, can you use these to see if you can pick up any trails? We're out of the city, and we know he was out here recently, maybe it'll be easier to find a lingering trail with your powers."
"I Can try but.." sbe hesitated and sighed because she always hated this part of the job "It might be easier if I hunted 'her."

"it takes some getting into his head space. if you want to hunt something you need to know their prey. If I hunt her we can bet he'll be close by."
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Felix nods, happy to go with Cheyenne's idea, "You're the expert. If that works better let's do that."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Phillip Dremmin
CND: fine | HP:2
Array Settings wrote: Blood-Drinker Array: Applied Obfuscation
Auspix Array: Super senses
Vampire Array: Mist Form

Phillip gives a nod at the technomancer's direction and crosses his arms, dissolving into mist and subtly wrapping shadows around his form.

He'll look for an ingress to the closed shop.
"Something pithy this way comes."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Kira says, "I can give that a shot." And she sends her scrying eye up into the sky to see if she can spot an unknown cabin in the woods or maybe a cave.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

GM: It'll be a hard check on the edge of the woods, but Kira may make me a perception check. Cheyenne can make to try and catch a 'scent' as well, Felix can assist.
------------
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Felix did his best to relax and sense the magic around him. And it was around him, but it all felt of nature and the forest.

He did note a small area where the natural flow of the magic shifted around instead of through.

"Might want to try starting there, might be easier to catch a lingering trace," Felix offers to Cheyenne as he looks out at the forest, looking for hints of where their target might be and quietly marveling at the difference in magical flow between the woods and the city.
Wheeljack Prime

Post by Wheeljack Prime »

Mimi "Neko Mimi" Nomura
Dodge: 10, Parry: 10, Tough: 6/3, Fort: 6, Will: 8, Perception: +10
HP: 1, Condition: Normal

Arkrite wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:37 pm
"Okay, how about this?"

"Phillip, Neko, could you go sneak into that building, please? Look for a map of the area, they'll probably have one with the roads and buildings, hunting areas and campgrounds listed. And any notices about areas being off limit. Place looks a little mom & pop, maybe they'll have some pictures on the wall with the target on it. Take pictures, try not to break anything or make any noise, people who live out this way have shotguns and aren't keen on intruders."

Mimi had been meditating on the journey (Or maybe stewing in self-recrimination). Her ears perk up as she hears her name. "I can do that... and I won't make any noise. I'm a creature of mist and shadows."
Flynnarrel wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:38 pm
Phillip gives a nod at the technomancer's direction and crosses his arms, dissolving into mist and subtly wrapping shadows around his form.

He'll look for an ingress to the closed shop.
"I could do that if I wanted" she says to the rest of the gang before leaving in a more conventional fashion. She's out of sight within seconds though, moving with the sounds of nature, still when they're silent as she approaches the building, checking out the windows first... wait, second, there might be some tripwires on cans to scare off animals.

OOC: Stealth: 1d20+15 28
Perception: 1d20+10 28
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Cheyenne
HP: 2; Condition: Huntress
"Might want to try starting there, might be easier to catch a lingering trace," Felix offers to Cheyenne as he looks out at the forest, looking for hints of where their target might be and quietly marveling at the difference in magical flow between the woods and the city.
"I will." she said as she knelt down to take in the signs and scents and other phenomena that she used to hunt men and monsters alike.

"Felix I want you and the others to stay here." She said trying not to sound to gruff and failing miserably "this guy is a hunter and were in his hunting grounds. I wont be able to hunt him and protect you at the same time,"

Cheys perception check _: 1D20+8 = [5]+8 = 13
solid + any bonuses from Felix should push it up to at least start the hunt

plus she has the "" scent "" of the girl from earlier and now the hunters ""scent"" so if any bonuses apply there
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories