Adventures Assemble S3E3: The Great Brain Robbery!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kenseido

Re: Adventures Assemble S3E1: Enemies of the State!

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell
HP: 5, Condition: Fine

Jason calmly listens to the overhead speaker explain the situation. Great, way too much going on for them to deal with. Starting by disabling the incoming subs sounds like the best place to start.

"My, they do have colorful names, don't they.

As soon as the elevators open, Jason goes all business. Seeing the armored foe and the real pilots trussed up on side tells him everything. The yell to attack is just icing on the cake.

He blinks out of the elevator and off to the side, leaving Nightbird a clear area to attack with catching him in her blast.

"FORZARE!" He curses though as the spells is off target.
Use blink to teleport to the right side of the troops so Nightbird can use her Birdy Wail, since he has seen it multiple times.
Forzare attack: 1d20+10 14
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:47 am Gelert
Underground STARS Assembly Plant

"Well, make your drones stop going crazy one after another, then," Amethyst says evenly, although something strikes her. Richards continues to rant, but she isn't listening any more. Instead she keys her earpiece and calls you.

"Gelert, I think I know what we're dealing with. It's not a a rogue AI, nor a hacking attempt.

"It's a technopath. Someone who can control machines the same way a fire controller controls fire. And it's limited in its power, so it can only take over a finite number of drones at once. We just need to find it, so we can stop it."
"Fantastic,So how do we do that? Because these robots only need to get lucky once with those power cancellers and then I'm stuck trying to bite their ankles." Gelert replies.

As he fires another beam to try and disable the damaged STARS Unit, he starts sniffing to try and get a scent for the person causing this trouble.

OOC:

Gelert is going to try and use his sense powers {Senses 5 (Accurate: hearing, Acute: smell, Tracking: smell 1: -1 speed rank, Ultra-hearing) (5pp)} to see if her can pick up a scent that might help him identify the Technopath.
Edit: I'm told its a perception roll, so 1d20+10: 24

Blast: Damage 13 (DC 28; Increased Range: ranged, Precise, Variable Descriptor: close group - laser or concussion) vs STARS Equalizer #1 1d20+11: 25
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Jason
Deep Six -- Section 3 (Storage, submersible bays, hospital & armory)
kenseido wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:39 am "FORZARE!" He curses though as the spells is off target.
The R.I.O.T. troops had already been making way for you to pass through. By chance, their courtesy saves them as they're already moving out of the way of the sizzling magic bolt when it comes. The glowing missile whizzes past them as they throw themselves out of the way, then explodes a bulkhead far down the hallway with a resounding BOOM.

"They're going to free as many of the villains as they can, then load them up by sub and chopper and take them to the city!" one of the tied-up guards shouts to warn you.

"Silence THAT imperialist chatterbox!" demands one of the R.I.O.T. troopers, pointing at the guard who spoke.

OOC

Unfortunately, even without their massed combat bonus to attack and defense that would be a miss.

Round 1

25 Jason
14 Moonlight *
13 Nightbird

10 R.I.O.T. Squad (with MAX armor) (Minions, Squadron) x5

Moonlight is up!
Last edited by Ysariel on Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Gelert
General Arms Systems -- Underground STARS Assembly Plant
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:45 pm"Fantastic,So how do we do that? Because these robots only need to get lucky once with those power cancellers and then I'm stuck trying to bite their ankles." Gelert replies.
"Good question," Amethyst says. "I don't see anyone other than you on scanners. But the drones are made to be worn as powered armor, and they're shielded from my sensors. Maybe they're in the suit that attacked you first?"

But as you sniff about, you realize that even if someone were to have snuck in the facility and secretly put on the STARS unit, they would've left a scent trail that led up to the suit itself. However, you can smell no such thing. There is a very confusing mess of over a dozen scents surrounding the unit's harness, from all the engineers working on it, but none that lead right up to its feet. The technopath might able to control technology remotely, from beyond the facility -- but as you saw, the STARS unit turned its head to seize control of the other drone, suggesting that the power in question requires, at the minimum, line of sight. That means they must be in this room, yet you cannot sense them.
Int -- 1 rank

There are a number of ways something can physically pass and yet leave no scent trail. It might fly, it might have some means of erasing its tracks, or it may have no physical body (i.e. be using the Intangible effect).
Your blast hits the STARS drone right in the abdomen, blowing away fragments of its armor plating. The drone's armor is pretty battered by now; one more good hit would disable it. But by chance you strike it at a low angle that deflects most of the beam off its glacis into the ceiling, where it explodes one of the sprinklers.

In retaliation the STARS drone fires its chest-mounted power nullifier ray at you. However, this time it aims too high and the beam zaps the fire suppression system. Fortunately, the fire suppression system does not have super-powers, and continues putting out the last of the flaming wreckage. Out of the corner of your eye, you see the second STARS unit fly off towards the elevators, and a moment later the blue glow of Amethyst's forcefield fades.

OOC

You sense nobody else around you with scent (tracking) or ultra-hearing, and Amethyst reports that she senses nobody either with radar.

AA STARS Equalizer Toughness DC 28: 1D20+10-2 = [18]+10-2 = 26
Failed 1 degree, -3

STARS Equalizer uses Power Nullifier Ray on you.
AA STARS Equalizer attack vs Gelert: 1D20+10 = [3]+10 = 13
Misses, no effect

STARS Equalizer #2 takes off towards the elevators and uses its Power Nullifer Ray to counter Amethyst's force field, and wins the power check. She rejoins the combat in round 3 as the STARS unit #2 is engaging her.

Round 3
23 Gelert *
11 STARS Equalizer (-3)
11 STARS Equalizer #2

10 Amethyst

You are up!
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight
HP: 4 LP: 0
Condition: Fine

Exiting the elevator and moving to the opposite side that Jason did to remain out of the path of Nightbird. "A bunch of blowhards being lead by the biggest blowhard. Time to show them what real wind can do!" A sudden vortex of wind hits the closest R.I.O.T. Squad member to her before blasting along like a sideways hurricane towards the others nearby.

OOC: Nature Engulfs [air-descriptor] with it starting at her first target, using 4 sq. feet of space for each target to hit as many as possible with 30 sq. ft in total. Should be able to hit 7 of them if they are close enough together, less if they are spaced farther apart. DC 19 Dodge save, DC 24/19 if they make Dodge save.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Moonlight
Deep Six -- Section 3 (Storage, submersible bays, hospital & armory)
Psistrike wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:11 amMoonlight
Exiting the elevator and moving to the opposite side that Jason did to remain out of the path of Nightbird. "A bunch of blowhards being lead by the biggest blowhard. Time to show them what real wind can do!" A sudden vortex of wind hits the closest R.I.O.T. Squad member to her before blasting along like a sideways hurricane towards the others nearby.
The MAX armor used by AEGIS weighs some 300 pounds and is designed for operation in all weathers and underwater. Unlike old servo-based exoskeleton systems, it uses new electroactive polymer muscle fibers that allow for a more fluid and human-like range of movement. Its composite armor can withstand direct hits from armor-piercing 30mm autocannon while retaining good survivability against 120mm APFSDS fired by tank main guns. Of course, this doesn't stop your wind blast from giving all 5 of the goons a concussion. There's a thunderclap-like sound of displaced air and you blast the unconscious R.I.O.T. flunkies down the hallway like bowling pins, scoring a strike.
OOC

There are only 5 of the troopers, not 10, so you can easily hit them all. Also, I don't know how I left this out in my last post, but the R.I.O.T. troops are supposed to be both minions and a squadron. They don't stand a chance of actually defeating you; the real question is how many turns they can delay you.

AA RIOT Dodge DC 19, Toughness DC 24/19: 1D20+9 = [9]+9 = 18
1D20+10 = [5]+10 = 15

Failed 3 degrees after the area penalty for being a squadron, defeated.
The PA system crackles to life. "Submarine docks secured. Good work, heroes. But it's not over yet. Marshal Lawless took out our close-in weapons systems with bombs on his way down. That means it's up to you to stop the incoming subs." A pause. "Belay that. Sonar shows only one sub incoming while the others hold perimeter. An escape vessel for their agent, perhaps?"

You know there's no way the Anarchy Command can transport any significant number of escapees with a single submarine, of course. The answer to that mystery is revealed a moment later:

"Wait, something's not right," the warden says over the comm system. "It's huge! It's... it's larger than any sub I knew existed!"

OOC

The Ragnarok is slow, and you have several minutes before it approaches. You can counter-attack it before it is able to attempt to dock.
  • You can take one of Deep Six's own midget subs and try to intercept the Ragnarok with it.
  • You can counterattack the Ragnarok in person but this requires the ability to fight underwater, so for Jason and Moonlight, you will need to use the MAX armor if you pursue this route.
Conversely, you can allow it to dock and then try to hold the submarine docks against any forces incoming. This is safer in the sense that you don't have to worry about a sub or device being damaged, but less ideal in that it allows them to establish direct access to the facility.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 5 LP: 1
Condition: Normal

"Great work." Imogen said impressed at the ease with which Moonlight took out the goons as she stepped out of the shadows that she was hiding in and went over to the guards to untie them.

"A giant sub? Figures." Imogen mused after the last comment from the Warden.

"So do we try and stop the sub before it connects with the prison or try and hold them off here?" Imogen asked her teammates and then asked the guards "How quickly can you get back into your armour and Warden are there any other guards or resources nearby that help repel boarders?"
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell

"Well, if it was a normal sub, I would say block the dock from flooding so they couldn't even get in. But there so big, they are going to have to cut the doors anyway, so that won't work."
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird

"Okay so can we disable the sub before it arrives?"
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell

"I don't like our odds of trying to fight it from the outside. Your powers won't work so well in a suit, and spellcasting would be problematic. If we had a layout of the interior, a few pictures even, I could probably get us inside."
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight

"I was able to disable the engine of a sub earlier, but it was nowhere near the size of this one and it took everything I had to do that. This sub probably has better protection for its engine as well and might have defenses to attack any threat that gets close. We need to gauge its defenses, then figure out the best course of action. I can take the fight to it underwater, but if it attacks or has too many defenders I could be overwhelmed. I can try to slow them down, but at that size, I doubt when a small island of cooling magma will do much. Any suggestions on what I can do?"
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell

"If they cut or blow the doors, they won't be able to perform a normal docking because the dock will remain flooded. They may be planning an aquatic landing or have smaller craft to do the actual landing. Is there a way we can put mines inside the dock?"

Before anyone can answer, he turns to Genie. "This is bugging me. Spellbinder, yay or ney?"
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird

"Maybe Moonlight but I think we all need to stick together here rather than try to take out or board the sub, at least here we know what we are looking at and between you and Jas you should be able to take out whatever tries to enter the docks.

kenseido wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:54 pm Before anyone can answer, he turns to Genie. "This is bugging me. Spellbinder, yay or ney?"
As quick as a flash Imogen answers "That's a relief I was expecting the Amazing Magical Man of Mystery, Spellbinder is a much better choice. So yay from me, your thoughts Moonlight?"
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:53 am Gelert
General Arms Systems -- Underground STARS Assembly Plant
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:45 pm"Fantastic,So how do we do that? Because these robots only need to get lucky once with those power cancellers and then I'm stuck trying to bite their ankles." Gelert replies.
"Good question," Amethyst says. "I don't see anyone other than you on scanners. But the drones are made to be worn as powered armor, and they're shielded from my sensors. Maybe they're in the suit that attacked you first?"

But as you sniff about, you realize that even if someone were to have snuck in the facility and secretly put on the STARS unit, they would've left a scent trail that led up to the suit itself. However, you can smell no such thing. There is a very confusing mess of over a dozen scents surrounding the unit's harness, from all the engineers working on it, but none that lead right up to its feet. The technopath might able to control technology remotely, from beyond the facility -- but as you saw, the STARS unit turned its head to seize control of the other drone, suggesting that the power in question requires, at the minimum, line of sight. That means they must be in this room, yet you cannot sense them.
Int -- 1 rank

There are a number of ways something can physically pass and yet leave no scent trail. It might fly, it might have some means of erasing its tracks, or it may have no physical body (i.e. be using the Intangible effect).
Your blast hits the STARS drone right in the abdomen, blowing away fragments of its armor plating. The drone's armor is pretty battered by now; one more good hit would disable it. But by chance you strike it at a low angle that deflects most of the beam off its glacis into the ceiling, where it explodes one of the sprinklers.

In retaliation the STARS drone fires its chest-mounted power nullifier ray at you. However, this time it aims too high and the beam zaps the fire suppression system. Fortunately, the fire suppression system does not have super-powers, and continues putting out the last of the flaming wreckage. Out of the corner of your eye, you see the second STARS unit fly off towards the elevators, and a moment later the blue glow of Amethyst's forcefield fades.

OOC

You sense nobody else around you with scent (tracking) or ultra-hearing, and Amethyst reports that she senses nobody either with radar.

AA STARS Equalizer Toughness DC 28: 1D20+10-2 = [18]+10-2 = 26
Failed 1 degree, -3

STARS Equalizer uses Power Nullifier Ray on you.
AA STARS Equalizer attack vs Gelert: 1D20+10 = [3]+10 = 13
Misses, no effect

STARS Equalizer #2 takes off towards the elevators and uses its Power Nullifer Ray to counter Amethyst's force field, and wins the power check. She rejoins the combat in round 3 as the STARS unit #2 is engaging her.

Round 3
23 Gelert *
11 STARS Equalizer (-3)
11 STARS Equalizer #2

10 Amethyst

You are up!
Gelert fires again at the damaged STARS unit, trying to put it out of commission so that he can help Amethyst with the other one.

OOC: gonna try and finish off Equalizer #1 Blast: Damage 13 (DC 28; Increased Range: ranged, Precise, Variable Descriptor: close group - laser or concussion) 1d20+11: 13 HP to reroll 1d20+11: 14 +10 = 24
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight

"Spellbinder, a very evocative codename, it fits you. And it seems the plan has too many risks for trying to directly assault the giant submarine before it arrives due to all the unknowns. So we should try to create some defensive positions to fight from and a bottleneck to force them into when they arrive so we aren't getting swarmed. Without knowing our foes' offensive capabilities I don't know if stone barriers will be enough, any suggestions?"