The Merge: Agents and Powers Chapter 2: Agents Abroad

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Neo-Paladin

Re: The Merge: Agents and Powers Chapter 2: Agents Abroad

Post by Neo-Paladin »

From the outside, the building looks normal with the "tourists" inconspicuously loitering around it, keeping an eye on things. Inside the building, however, there appears to be an intense discussion going on.
" Okay...no more drones. This isn't going to work." That's the voice of the woman Lilly heard earlier.
" I concur. Also, it hurts like hell when they die violently and I don't really feel like having another heart attack today." That's the man she heard during her earlier listening session as well.
" Hmph. I thought a certain radius was safe from detection even with their sense of smell. Do you maybe have the wrong intel on their capabilities?" That voice - male - is new.
" How long have we been working together, Fritz? You know my power doesn't feed me false intel. And Rudi Weidner definitely is his real name. Heck, I know what his favorite food is! No, something else is going on...I guess this is your job, Fritz. Recon. Find out if they've had new security systems installed." That is the woman again...
Last edited by Neo-Paladin on Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"If there's nothing else, I guess we should get going," Adeleth says. "Pleasure meeting you," she says to the couple.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Lilly texts what she is hearing to the rest of the group as she hears it.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

To Amy's senses, there is one familiar dark presence in the building - very likely Möller. The " tourists" outside are definitely similar to the " crow" from earlier. They do not have minds of their own, no true self-awareness. It's more like a very elaborate program that also feeds a steady stream of sensory information to a mind inside the building. The stream also makes it hard to catch a good glimpse into said mind, for it is juggling the input from not only the tourist but at least three dozen other drones as well, placed all over town.
Given that the mind at the center does not have the sharpness of overall super-intelligence, their ability to handle so much input and still be able to focus on a present conversation is very likely the result of the same power that lets them create these drones.

Möller, meanwhile, is surprisingly controlled. There is a dark hunger lurking inside him, the result of his power, but he thinks very much like a professional. Amy can feel his desire to get a taste of werewolf flesh and essence, but right now, it is a secondary objective, with the primary one finding out how the Weidners could sense the drones and making sure their operation goes smoothly. He is viewing their operation with some disdain, however. Something does not sit right with him.

Then, there is a third mind - a woman - but that mind is sharply angled and crammed so full of information it is almost impossible to navigate for Amy. Her power - whatever that is - must be some sort of clairvoyance or ESP or connection with the Akashic Records.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

The girl relayed what she saw and sensed. "There are three main people there. Möller, a guy that can create drones and a woman who has either ESP or some sort of connection with the Akashic Records. The drones act as eyes and ears for the maker who is connected to each one. Möller is pretty creepy, he really wants to eat a were-wolf. I mean, physically and spiritually. He pretty much a vampire or cannibal in my thinking, I'm not sure which applies to him though. The woman, she's weird. Her mind is packed full of info, I don't know how she can handle it without screaming or her grey matter leaking out onto the ground."
Last edited by kirinke on Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

The Weidners smile at Adeleth and Rudi says, " Pleasure was all ours. Before you head back, do you need anything? Maybe a packed lunch?"
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Viv DeLaCourte (Harbinger)

Viv thought, for a brief instant, about just what might be in a "Packed lunch" prepared by werewolves- it would PROBABLY be fine, but one couldn't be too careful. "No thank you, we'll be fine. And we'll be in touch..."

But Amy's first update hit before they had even managed to pull out of the driveway. Viv stopped and gave a sigh, thinking the new information over. Then she got back out of the car and headed back to the Weidner's cabin. If they were still outside watching the departure, she would beckon them back inside, if they had gone back inside already she would politely knock ("We're back a bit sooner than we anticipated...")

Once back inside, she quickly laid out the new information. "That fellow we showed you definitely has an interest in consuming and absorbing a werewolf, and probably won't be picky about which one, or how it happens. The person creating the drones seems to feel pain, even injury, if they are destroyed- so if you encounter any more, feel free to destroy them immediately, the more the better. and apparently they have some pretty accurate information about your sensory abilities, and are surprised you caught this one. I imagine they will know we are involved shortly. We are going back into town, to see if we can stir the pot a bit, get them on their back foot, but I wanted to pass this along quickly, hot off the presses as it were..."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

If possible, as she and Amy teleport about the town, Lilly will discretely take pictures of as many of the drones as possible (guided by Amy) and send the pictures along to the others.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"You want me to drive?" Adeleth says as she and Viv once again walk back to the car. "You look like you want to make some phone calls."
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

" Thanks", Maria says, " we'll keep an eye out. And apparently, that 'fellow' never had to deal with one of us. Some of our first guests should arrive soon and I'll let them know about the drones."
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

Amy points out the peculiar dark-side marked drones, standing out like sore thumbs amongst the ordinary. They ranged from people to animals, from chipmunks to birds on the wing. As they did, the girl introduced Lilly to the selfie game, so as to appear more like normal tourists when possible.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

jmucchiello wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:08 am "You want me to drive?" Adeleth says as she and Viv once again walk back to the car. "You look like you want to make some phone calls."
Viv DeLaCourte (Harbinger)

"That would be excellent," Viv replied, turning to give the Weidners one more cheerful wave before returning to the car. As Adeleth had predicted, Viv had her phone in play before the car was even moving. Throughout the drive, she was alternately typing and talking, in a number of languages. From time to time there was a soft chime as Lilly and Amy sent their photos- those went into a folder to distribute to the relevant people...

>OOC: In the interest of saving some time, I'm going to lay out her work in bullet points. Let me know if I need to make any rolls, but in general she will rely on her Skill Mastery- Investigation for a 26. If relevant, she also has both Connected and Contacts, and will use them if needed.
-Look up friend Fritz. He may not have a record (or warrants) in Germany, but Viv will touch base with her old colleagues in Interpol, and the DXDO; if either agency has any interest in him, she will tip them off. She will also mine his file to see if he has any "known associates" with similar power profiles as the people in the building- since they had American accents, she will check with the DXDO to see if they sound familiar.
-look up what rights drone constructs have under local law, if any. Can we arrest them (or have the locals do so)? Confine them? Damage or kill them with impunity?
- Find out the story behind the building they are in. Who owns it (or the part they are in, if we can find out)?
-Touch base with the local authorities (or again, if she has already done so- I can't remember). Advise them of what is going on, and where. If it turns out that we can arrest the drone-people freely, see if we can make that happen.

It is possible that the bad guys might have a line into the local police, but it seems likely that they will figure out our involvement soon enough (even if they don't know exactly who we are, they will get that somebody is interfering). And if they do figure out that someone knows what they are about it may monkeywrench their operation (either go off half-cocked, or fold entirely in the face of someone watching and foiling).
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

//Alright...

- From what Adeleth can gather, Möller has been working with several mercenary outfits over the past three years. He is on Interpol's watchlist because of several disappearances in places he worked over his career. Unfortunately, they can't arrest him because there is no clear line of evidence linking the disappearances to him. The two other voices are flagged as unknown. It seems that this is a team specifically assembled for this mission, although, from the woman's words, she seems to have worked with Möller before. But she apparently did manage to stay under the radar. Someone is trying very hard to cover their tracks.
- Drone constructs - golems, homunculi, robots etc. are treated much like any regular drone is. Destroying them can get you sued for property damage but as long as they are not sentient they do not have rights. At the moment, the law tends to err on the side of the 'assailant' - i.e., it's property damage unless the owner can prove the thing was sentient. Which is very unlikely to happen here.
- The building is owned by a man named Michael Hubert, who is renting out apartments in it. It's extremely likely the small group just rented the apartment normally or had someone rent it for them.
- Local police is already worried about the meeting - they have, of course, heard of it - and are clearly not happy about having another problem to deal with. They can, however, arrest the drones, given that private surveillance of public areas is illegal.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Lilly was unaware of the concept of the selfie before this point, and is still a bit stiff when it comes to taking them or being in them, but goes along with it for the purposes of the mission...
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"Unless anyone thinks it is not a good idea I am quite happy to continue eavesdropping on the people here," chips in Lilly. "We may learn something more of interest. Subject to needing to eat, sleep and all that of course!"