The Coyote Den

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: The Coyote Den

Post by Davies »

... wait, he literally has no nose?
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
CoyoteUnion

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Davies wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:56 pm ... wait, he literally has no nose?
Yup, it's even a plot point this arc!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Nice to see you back! I was just thinking to big you about this thread again, and you go and post our favourite noseless schmuck!

I hadn’t realized Krillin was so adversarial at first- that’s an interesting twist. And makes yet yet another Enemy Turned Friebd, and the first one to actually stick for a main character.
CoyoteUnion

Launch

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Launch (PL 5, 60 PP)
Abilities (20 PP)
STR 1 STA 1 AGL 2 DEX 3 FGT 1
INT 1 AWA 0 PRE 1

Skills (15 PP)
Deception 6 (+7)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Sleight of Hand 6 (+9)
Stealth 2 (+4)
Vehicles 10 (+13)

Advantages (14 PP)
All-out Attack
Attractive
Defensive Roll 2
Evasion
Equipment 4 (Light Submachine Gun [Multiattack Blast 6] [4], Motorcycle [2])
Improvised Tools
Move-by Action
Quick Draw

Powers (0 PP)

Offense
Unarmed +1 (DC 16 Damage)
Throw +3 (DC 16 Damage)
Light Pistol +3 (DC 21 Multiattack Damage)

Defense (11 PP)
Dodge 6, Parry 3, Fortitude 1, Toughness 3/1, Will 5

Complications
Hair-Trigger: Launch usually has no idea where she is when she transforms, so anything can set her off, and her gun too.
Split Personality: Whenever Launch sneezes, she turns into her shy blue-haired self, who has Bystander stats. They don’t share memories, and she has to sneeze again to turn back.

Before Goku and Krillin can train, they have to get Roshi a hot girl. Or Krillin has to, because Goku can’t tell he’s a guy, much less what a hot girl looks like or why Roshi wants one so bad. But he can’t leave the island without Goku’s Flying Nimbus, which he can’t just take because it needs a pure heart.

Good thing for Launch (really Lunch, but the English dub changed it and Launch is way cooler), because we cut to a car chase. This blonde’s robbed a bank and the police are shooting, when suddenly she sneezes and turns into a blue-haired ditz with no idea what’s going on! She cries for help. Krillin’s scared of the police, but Goku’s Goku and he beats them up while he hides. Of course, Krillin’s like “aren’t you glad we saved you?” and they bring her to Kame House.

It turns out this happens every time she sneezes. Also, her blonde self isn’t just a robber, she’s a total maniac who shoots people when she gets surprised, which happens a lot because she doesn’t remember what happens between personalities. Good thing her aim is terrible (or our heroes are just that fast) and they get bulletproof pretty soon anyway. To be fair, they kinda kidnapped her to be some old perv's eye candy.

Launch is mostly an audience character like Oolong. Sometimes she’s Roshi’s straight man, he tries to do dirty stuff to her blue personality, she sneezes and shoots him. Over time her blonde self mellows out; she’s still really forceful, but she stops actually trying to hurt people. Eventually she meets Tenshinhan at the 22nd Tournament (not this one). She moves in with him a few years later, but Tenshinhan’s the opposite of romantic and at some point they break up.

That’s guessing, though, cause (a) it’s totally offscreen, and (b) Toriyama infamously forgot she ever existed at some point. Other than a few holiday panels that never got in a volume, no one mentions her after Vegeta shows up. Can you blame him, though? He doesn’t like romance (he says the only woman he’s ever understood is his wife, which explains a lot), and if Launch was gonna be a ki fighter she would’ve by then. What else was there to do with her?

Launch’s history was really annoying. Unlike most anime wikis, Dragon Ball’s still doesn’t tell you what’s anime-only, which most of her appearances are. I’m only like 80% sure Launch and Tien were even canon, or that they were a couple and she wasn't just crashing there. I haven't read that section in a while. It was also hard finding an image with both of her. Imgur doesn't like wiki images, so I had to go to *shudders* CBR. The things I do for you... :lol:

This build was fun, because “badass bank robber/getaway driver” is a clear box so I knew exactly what she could do. And she’s not like the main characters, where I have to parcel out their feats and skills build by build, cause she has all her skills from page 1. She broke my low skill rank addiction too (even I have to admit driving up walls is impressive). Round out her defenses and bring her to 75 PP with some hand-to-hand and she could be a major character in another manga. Maybe that's why some people got frustrated when Toriyama stopped using her.

Next time I’m gonna shotgun all five 21st Tournament fighters that aren’t Goku, Krillin and Roshi. God, I hope none of them have a bunch of secret history I don't know about!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh, tremendous! Launch is the big, great mystery to me of the Dragon Ball franchise. When I first got into the cartoon in my teens, I was left with the DBZ dub, and a Dragon Ball dub that ended before we ever met Krillin or Launch, so I've no experience with her. The infamous "I forgot she existed/forgot how to draw her" excuse was already well-known even in the early 2000s, and all I was left with were fan comments about how she was this crazy nutjob who always shot at people.

And for some reason I didn't know about the purple/blonde hair switch and the sneezing personality changes. At all. So I obviously skimmed the pre-DBZ era.

Toriyama really only had one type of girl character for a long time, didn't he? Histrionic and insane. No wonder Android 18 proved to be such a hit, lol. And with a different face than all the other girls!

Great build- interesting look at a low-tier bad-ass in a world of increasingly-powerful gods. And I feel your pain regarding inadequate wikis- thank god the Sailor Moon wikis are always very clear about manga continuity & anime continuity. The major issue THERE is which lore you have to follow, as the franchise could get fairly deep into it, but years of translations, mistranslations, fan-canon and "Well I heard that in the manga they..." stuff coagulated into a pretty hard to understand bunch of stuff.

(and don't worry about the secret histories- if there's one thing I know about Toriyama, it's that he tends to forget characters and disposes of them rapidly if they aren't recurring villains)
CoyoteUnion

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:56 am (and don't worry about the secret histories- if there's one thing I know about Toriyama, it's that he tends to forget characters and disposes of them rapidly if they aren't recurring villains)
Yeah, on second thought that was pretty funny. I'm re-reading One Piece right now, which has way more lore, so maybe that's it.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

LOL, this just dropped on CBR- the history of the HARMONY GOLD translation of Dragon Ball: https://www.cbr.com/dragon-ball-lost-dub-harmony-gold/
CoyoteUnion

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Honestly I'm not sure what to do with this thread. I still want to build stuff, but my interests come and go and I only sorta control it. I got back into Dragon Ball when I started this thread, but then I switched to Bleach and now I'm on One Piece.

I don't think I can build a whole series back to back, I'd have to randomly switch whenever my interests do. Would it still work like that?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

CoyoteUnion wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:27 pm I don't think I can build a whole series back to back, I'd have to randomly switch whenever my interests do. Would it still work like that?
Sure. Many of the threads here are just "I felt like building this today", so if you'd rather just build what your Muse tells you to, I think people would be fine with it. I'd just recommend you keep your front page's link's gallery up to date so that that people can find specific builds in your thread.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

CoyoteUnion wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:27 pm Honestly I'm not sure what to do with this thread. I still want to build stuff, but my interests come and go and I only sorta control it. I got back into Dragon Ball when I started this thread, but then I switched to Bleach and now I'm on One Piece.

I don't think I can build a whole series back to back, I'd have to randomly switch whenever my interests do. Would it still work like that?
I think so, much as I would like to see more of the Dragon Ball stuff I’ve never read. Most people other than me on here switch interests and “sets” a lot- I have to have three separate threads just to contain myself :).
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I just post whatever the hell strikes my fancy, I usually work in "bursts" of builds related to a given series or theme, but that's about it. I have no idea how Jab is able to stay on theme with the consistency he does.

I suspect witchcraft.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:25 am I just post whatever the hell strikes my fancy, I usually work in "bursts" of builds related to a given series or theme, but that's about it. I have no idea how Jab is able to stay on theme with the consistency he does.

I suspect witchcraft.
Why do you think I plan my posts out so thoroughly in advance, AND have three different threads running simultaneously? It's the only way I can force myself to stick to one group at a time!

Hell, on the old ATT, I would post one build from a different thing almost every day, never once putting anything in order. It was a jumbled mess, even compared to the most haphazard of build threads!
CoyoteUnion

Jotaro Kujo

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Jotaro Kujo (PL 11, 220 PP)
Abilities (40 PP)
STR: 10/4: STA: 4 AGL: 2 DEX: 10/2 FGT: 12/4
INT: 3 AWA: 0 PRE: 1

Skills (21 PP)
Deception 6 (+7)
Insight 12 (+12)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 10 (+20/+10)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+12/+4)

Advantages (8 PP)
Accurate Attack
All-Out Attack
Attractive
Benefit (Wealth)
Cool (Intimidation)
Diehard
Fascinate (Intimidation)
Improved Aim
Precise Attack (Close Cover/Concealment)
Seize Initiative
Takedown
Throwing Mastery
Tracking
Ultimate Effort (Toughness)
Untapped Potential

Powers (132 PP)
Star Platinum (Multiple Effects, all Sustained except Ora Ora, all Subtle)
The Strongest... (Enhanced Dexterity 8, Enhanced Dodge 8, Enhanced Fighting 8, Enhanced Strength 6, Protection 6) (59)
...Most Accurate Stand (Enhanced Perception 10, Enhanced Advantages (Accurate Attack, Improved Aim, Precise Attack (Close Cover/Concealment), Seize Initiative, Takedown, Throwing Mastery, Tracking), Senses 6 (Analytical Visual, Extended Sight x100, Microscopic Vision Cellular)) (21)
Ora Ora (Multiattack, Precise on Strength) (12)

Star Platinum: The World (Array)
Walls Come Tumbling Down (Speed 1, Perception Multiattack Subtle 2 Damage 10, Quirk: Must choose a different option next turn) (42)
Where The Light Won't Find You (Change Direction Subtle 2 Teleport 1 Quirk: 30 feet, Speed 1) (1)
Fade It (Concealment 10, Custom Extra: 50% Miss Chance, Limited: Only resists one attack per turn, Quirk: Not really concealed) (1)

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed +12 (DC 25 Damage)
Throw +10 (DC 26 Damage)
SP:TW (DC 25 Damage)

Defense (15 PP)
Dodge 10/2, Parry 12/4, Fortitude 8, Toughness 10/4, Will 11

Complications
(But You Wanna Be) Bad: Jotaro's only 17, and he thinks if he's a rude 80's badass for long enough, he can fake it till he makes it and he won't have to feel anything anymore.

Jotaro Kujo's only the third hero in Hirohiko Araki's long-running manga JoJo's Bizarre Adventure; his grandpa Joseph and his grandpa Jonathan headlined its first two parts. But boy, did Jotaro stick. 1989 was the perfect time for a Clint Eastwood-style badass (remember when characters were allowed to be cooler than the audience without joking about it?), manga was as America-influenced as it's ever been, and delinquent "yanki" comics were insanely popular in Japan. The guy oozed cool. It doesn't help it was the only part to come out in the US for ages and ages through a video game and an OVA. We didn't get the rest until the 2010's.

He also represented the new power system, Stands. Before, JoJo used the Ripple, a sunlight-based martial art, which wasn't a bad power system. But Stands looked amazing, they could do almost anything, they reflected the characters, and they let Araki write all kinds of fight scenes no one else could, especially back then. You gotta understand, this was in the early days of fighting manga. Jotaro debuted A MONTH AFTER VEGETA. That's what it was competing with. And here was Araki, who could take the most out-there abilities under the sun and make them work.

A Voyage To The Corner Of The Globe Is A Real Trip

The first two pages are iconic. We see Jotaro growing up as this cute kid who loves his mom, and the last two JoJos were like that too, but then you turn the page and he's calling her a bitch and there's a spread of him in jail! And then the cops try to let him go, and he wants to stay! He has an "evil spirit" he can't control, and it's putting people in the hospital. Grandpa Joseph and his new friend Muhammad Avdol come to Japan to explain things. Jotaro's spirit is a Stand, a manifestation of his life energy that looks like a big purple guy who fights for him. His is humanoid, but they can look like anything and have all sorts of powers. Joseph has his own Stand, but how can he when he didn't in his own part? Because Jonathan Joestar's enemy Dio is back from the depths of the Atlantic after a hundred years, and since he stole Jonathan's corpse before gaining his own Stand, that power's transferred to his descendants. Joseph uses his Stand to show Jotaro who Dio is, but that alerts him that his enemy bloodline has the same powers he does and fate will bring them together again, so he starts sending Stand users to destroy them. Then Jotaro's mom, who's too weak to handle her own Stand, who Jotaro mistreated all that time, falls deathly ill...

And so Jotaro and friends make the fifty-day trek to Egypt to kill Dio and save his mom, seeing most of Asia and battling Dio's unreasonably large group of Stand-user contacts along the way. That's Part 3: Stardust Crusaders.

Jotaro's a fighter (he even gets Ultimate Toughness to represent him taking ridiculous wounds), but also a smart kid who notices things others don't. His Stand Star Platinum turns it up to eleven. It's extremely strong and fast, and it's so precise it can see cells, perform brain surgery in seconds, and draw a fly you can barely see in a photo well enough to tell what species it is (that's how they found out Dio was in Egypt). Its only special attack is the Ora Ora, where it punches you so fast it looks like it has tons of arms. It's so strong maybe three people would even have a chance in a straight fight. Fortunately, most JoJo fights are about figuring out how to counter the Stand of the Week, not who punches harder, so it's not story-breaking like it could be. He just Ora Oras the bad guy at the end.

At the end of the part, he gains another power. Star Platinum: The World lets him stop time for two seconds with a cooldown after. The first effect lets him Ora Ora in stopped time, then doubles his speed when it ends, but he can't use it two turns in a row. It's like his standard action "doesn't count" and he's taking two move actions that round. The second lets him move in stopped time, then doubles his speed after. The third lets him dodge an attack, but it only works half the time, since it takes a second to activate and he can't see everything coming.
Stand Questions for existing fans
Why isn't Star Platinum a separate character?
Most power-type Stands like his can't go more than two meters away from the user, some of them including Jotaro will phase their Stands inside their bodies to tank hits, Stand users take all damage their Stand takes, and people don't attack users that often in JoJo, so mechanically it doesn't matter. Some stands go farther away, so they'd have to be separate.

But what if someone does attack directly?
It does happen, so let's say they have to declare it before they roll, then they roll to hit at a -10 penalty. If they hit, the user resists like they didn't have powers.

Where's Star Finger?
He only used it twice, it's a stunt.

But he could stop time for five seconds in Part 3?
There are two fights where he can do that. One's against another time-stopper and the other guy shortens his time stops to the normal length anyway. We never actually see it work normally on-screen, so why build it?

Even if he can't, isn't time-stopping super broken in JoJo?
Not when Jotaro does it. He never really does anything crazy except Ora Ora'ing Kira when he was already on the ropes anyway. Almost all of it's just moving. Also M&M really doesn't want you to take more actions a turn or double up on the same attack, so anything like you're expecting is questionably legal. I tried.
The Man with the Star Mark
At the start of Part 3, Jotaro's probably only PL10 and he doesn't have the SP:TW array. Between that and trimming Advantages/Skills/a few power ranks it's probably not too hard to turn him into a PL10/150pp character.

Some fans think Star Platinum's real power was to adapt to any situation and it ran out of potential once it got SP:TW. Jotaro could buy a multi-point Feature that lets him spend his saved character points in-game at any time to gain a permanent new power, but once they're spent, they're spent.

Nothing Ever Lasts Forever
Parts 1-3 were each 50 years apart, but since they caught up to the present in part 3, they had to move slower later. In Part 4 (1999), Jotaro's a 27-year-old PhD student set to become a marine biologist, which came so out of nowhere most of the fandom thinks he's doing dolphins (really), and also a distant mentor for new protagonist Josuke. He's too old to be Cool (his only one-liner is this terrible one about "nice watch, but you won't tell time after I break it... your face" and he says it TWICE) but he inherited Joseph's Speedwagon Foundation connections (long story) so he gets Connected and Well-Informed. He also gets Expertise (Science) 6. However, he's out of practice, so he goes down to PL10 and loses the first power in SP:TW, making it a 20 PP array. He gradually gets his strength back during the part. He replaces his Complication with:

Complications
My Own Remorse: Jotaro has a hard time expressing his emotions, he thinks people know how he feels when they don't, and he thinks he needs to do everything on his own or people he cared about will die again. Even his friends and family think he doesn't care, and he doesn't even know it.

We Will Find You: Jotaro has a wife and daughter he desperately doesn't want involved in the Stand world.

These complications are bad. They literally retcon him a daughter when he shows up again in Part 6 (2011) and you can totally believe he didn't mention her for months in Part 4, and that he abandoned a seven-year-old that long. And he still wears custom school uniforms when he's middle-aged!

I won't spoil any more of Part 6 since the anime's only up to Part 5. Just know Jotaro's 40, he's messed up his relationships Batman-style, and I didn't name everything after Everybody Wants to Rule the World just cause it had the word "world" in it. Also he gets four more ranks in Expertise (Science).
Last edited by CoyoteUnion on Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

I've heard that the marine biologist thing is supposed to be a reference to the fact that Emperors Hirohito and Akihito both published works in that field.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I had similar thoughts regarding Stands being seperate characters: Some that are independant enough from the user do deserve their own statblock, but ones like Star Platinum really just serve as an extension of the user's attack/strenght, so can juts go under Powers.