Justice League of Time

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Davies

Justice League of Time

Post by Davies »

This is just a random idea, somewhat inspired by Neo-Paladin's Fractured concept as well as the recent Generations title from DC. I'd developed a concept a bit like this for the World of Freedom, but this expands that a bit further. It's not part of The World Less Magical, but probably takes place elsewhere in the same multiverse.

The 25th Century: Buried in a cave-in and exposed to strange gases, a young man slept for centuries, his body slowly infused with the strange energies of the forces used in the many horrible wars fought on the surface. When at last he emerged from his sleep, in a world ruled by alien conquerors, he was filled with power, which he used to fight for the restoration of truth, justice, and the American way, alongside freedom fighters of this era, as the Man of Tomorrow.

A Few Centuries After The Oceans Drank Atlantis: It is an age undreamed of, a time when conquerors and monsters battle over the remains of a fallen age of sorcery and super-science. Into this era comes a lone warrior, granted all gifts by a pantheon of goddesses, and charged to bring sense and sanity back to a world gone mad, accompanied by a bard who sings of her deeds, as the Warrior Princess.

The 19th Century: In the center of an empire on which the sun sometimes never seems to rise, an orphaned son of privilege has trained his body and his mind to the limits of both, and uses these talents to assist the authorities and the public as a consulting detective. Yet sometimes his assistance demands action, and he sets out in disguise as the Great Detective.

Tang Dynasty China: A young savant, schooled in both natural sciences and more esoteric doctrines, discovered a damaged artifact lying beside the body of that which wielded it. Repairing it, he now uses its power to defend the righteous from the banditry and lawlessness of his era, as the Sage Equal of Heaven.

Classical Greece: He ran, discarding weapons and even clothes to grant him as much speed as he could, pushing himself past the limits of his endurance, to come to the assembly and give a true account of the victory at Marathon, and then collapsed. And then rose again, to run even faster and further, blessed by some god perhaps, as the Fastest Man Alive.

The Height of Atlantis: Even in an era of sorcery and super-science, there are still things that count as miracles, such as the birth of a child uniting those who dwell on the land with those who live beneath the sea. Heir to two worlds, home in neither, he nevertheless uses his ocean-born strength and will as the Prince of Atlantis.

The Fifties: It is a time of great fear and great change, as the frontiers of science are pushed further and further. Into this era comes one who was a lawman of his people, sundered from them by powers beyond his control, to try and aid those whom he must live among in hiding, as the Man From Mars.

Pishdadian Dynasty Persia: Some say that that shooting his arrow to divide the territories of the Persians and the Turanians cost him his life; others, that he was raised up and exalted. The truth is that he humbly continued his service, wielding his bow as the Archer. (... look, I just didn't want to use Robin Hood again, okay?)

Individually they are legends, even myths. Together, in times of crisis, they are more.

Suggestions for additional members are welcomed.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
greycrusader

Re: Justice League of Time

Post by greycrusader »

Davies, what literary/legendary figures are the Prince of Atlantis, Sage Equal to Heaven, and Man From Mars based on, if I may ask?

And does the Man of Tomorrow incorporate Gary Concord, the Ultra-Man along with Buck Rogers?

All my best.
Davies

Post by Davies »

greycrusader wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:07 pm Davies, what literary/legendary figures are the Prince of Atlantis, Sage Equal to Heaven, and Man From Mars based on, if I may ask?

And does the Man of Tomorrow incorporate Gary Concord, the Ultra-Man along with Buck Rogers?

All my best.
The name Sage Equal to Heaven is a reference to Sun Wukong ("Great Sage Ape Equal to Heaven") since the Tang Dynasty is when the Journey to the West is supposed to have taken place, but the character is based on the Chinese scholar who created the Lantern that contained the Green Flame of Life. The Man From Mars is mostly just the Martian Manhunter, with a frisson of other Martians hidden on Earth stories, like the one in Amazing Fantasy #15 or My Favorite Martian. The Prince of Atlantis takes a bit of inspiration from the Disney version of The Little Mermaid.

Can't say that I've ever heard of Gary Concord before this; I'll have to look him up.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Late Pleistocene A raging fire took the lives of every member of his clan, forcing one Neanderthal chieftain to wander the earth where he encountered the primitive tribes of early Humans. Fearful and distrusting of the outsider, most shunned him. But a few made him angry, they didn't like him when he was angry.

Forth Century CE: There was once a dream that was Rome. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish... When one man saw the end, he wanted to know there was some purpose to his life. How would the world speak the name Rome in years to come? Would they remember the philosophers? The artists? Or the tyrant...? He vowed to protect the people and the memory of the last of the good emperors, he is the Iron Centurion.

Eleventh Century CE: There was an idea, called the Round Table. The idea was to bring together a group of of remarkable men to see if they could become something more. To see if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could... That dream died, from betrayals within and enemies without. But one knight still remains, prepared to return to lead the people in their darkest hour. The once and future Captain.

1757 CE: On the frontiers of the British colony of New York, against the backdrop of the French and Indian War, the last two surviving members of the Mohican tribe, Chingachgook and his son Uncas, along with Chingachgook's white adopted son, mount a daring mission to rescue the the two daughters of a Scottish colonel. During the mission, things go badly killing the last of the Mohicans and leaving only their adopted son to carry on their legacy... He is called Hawkeye.

16 July 1917: The Imperial Romanov family (Emperor Nicholas II, his wife Empress Alexandra and their five children were shot and bayoneted to death by Communist revolutionaries under the dead of night... Or so they thought. In the months and years to come, each of the soldiers and political leaders responsible was assassinated. No one will admit the truth, except in a whisper, but all fear the wrath of the Widow.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I never feel comfortable enough in my knowledge of history to do real world historical stuff, but this is putting ideas in my head...
Davies

Post by Davies »

Good! I hope they take you to interesting places.

For my part, I've come up with two more.

Fin de siècle Paris: She was taught the beauty and the power of the music of the night, and much else besides, by one who was both angel and demon to her. He is gone, now, yet she remains, using these skills, her spirit and her voice in one combined, to avenge and defend the nights of Paris as the second Opera Ghost. (This era is roughly contemporaneous with that of the Great Detective.)

The end of the twenty-first century: Humanity has begun to recover from the first of its atomic nightmares, but many of the survivors are content to hide within virtual reality illusions. One man, with the power to transmit his mind and body along the communications network, can enter these virtual worlds and fights to protect sleeping humanity from those who would exploit them ... and perhaps to awaken them. He is the Prime.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Black Canary and...? Early Dr. Strange? The Sandman?
Davies

Post by Davies »

greycrusader wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:37 am Black Canary and...? Early Dr. Strange? The Sandman?
The Atom (with a bit of Kirby's Sandman.) Can't get much more prime than that. It came to me as I considered Palmer's ability to transmit himself along phone lines.