Falcon & The Winter Soldier

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
M4C8

Re: Falcon & The Winter Soldier

Post by M4C8 »

I agree with Ares regarding Thor, while humour is a essential part of the MCU it was taken too far with Thor IMHO, it's okay to have him be funny on occasion but he should in no way be slapstick.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I’m hoping (but not expecting) the next Thor film is a return to the more dramatic-with-bits-of-comedy of the first film and less of the comedy-with-bits-of-drama of Thor: Ragnarok.

I really like Hemsworth’s Thor overall, he’s shown he can do the dramatic scenes when the script calls for it, even if his natural inclination is more “Boisterous Brawler” and less “Warrior-King.” It’s not necessarily the wrong way to play Thor, even if it’s not necessarily the attitude comic book Thor is best known for.

(On the other hand, not having Thor say his famous line “Ultron. We would have words with thee.” was a criminally missed opportunity.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I liked Hemsworth's Thor just fine for the first two Thor films, the first two Avengers films and even for Infinity War for the most part. But starting with those "Where was Thor during Civil War" shorts, it became clear Hemsworth was getting more creative control over the character and was pushing for a more overt comedic take on the Thor section of the MCU. Then Ragnarok comes around and does a lot of things I really don't care for (the 'everything you know is wrong' retcon, change for the sake of change, etc.) while having only a couple of things I actually liked (Thor learning his storm powers came from himself, his fight with the Hulk). And once Endgame came around, Thor was literally a big fat joke.

Based on things I've heard elsewhere, Hemsworth is a very funny guy with a great sense of humor and comedic timing, so it's natural he wants to incorporate more humor into his take on Thor. The problem is that Thor really isn't a funny character. He's a viking space god having adventures that are equal parts Standard Superhero Stuff and Cosmic Lord of the Rings Epics.

So I like Hemsworth's Thor when he stuck to the original portrayal, but I think in the long run he would have been a better fit for someone like Hercules, who HAS a sense of humor and is the kind of boisterous bruiser Hemsworth's Thor leaned towards anyway.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Just keep reminding yourself that this is Earth-199999 Thor and not Earth-616 Thor.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

You know, Dollars to Donuts they go the exact opposite route when they introduce Gerald Butler as Hercules as what they did with Helmsworth's Thor(Less Comedy, more Drama).
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:20 pm Just keep reminding yourself that this is Earth-199999 Thor and not Earth-616 Thor.
I think that's part of my issue: way more people know about MCU Thor vs 616/Comics Thor, and if MCU Thor becomes popular enough, he starts influencing the comics. Much the same way Tony Stark's more RDJ attributes were enhanced over his traditionally near-suicidal levels of responsibility.

It's one reason I'm so grateful that Christopher Reeves got the chance to be Superman first and give us a mostly faithful adaptation of the more optimistic Superman, same way Chris Evans gave us pretty much comics Cap in movie form. It let audiences experience and appreciate the characters from the comics in a way that was true to the character.

I tend to think that, unless there's a very good reason, when you adapt something you should try to be as faithful to the source material as possible. You can tweak things here and there, make reasonable changes due to the medium differences, and in the cases of really terrible source material (Big Hero 6 the comic, for instance), you can just take the initial concept and change mostly everything else.

Because thanks to the MCU, Comedy Thor is what most people will think of when they think "Marvel Thor". In the same way a lot of people now think of the DCEU "Shazam" when I talk about Captain Marvel. Or how a lot of people now associate the Green Hornet with Seth Rogan's turd of a film. So forth and so on.

I realize it's something out of my control and it's already done, but it's still something I feel the need to grouch about when given the chance.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Oh, I regularly light a candle in thanksgiving on my shrine to Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, and Kevin Conroy that Batman: The Animated Series came along when it did and formed the pop culture idea of what and who the Batman is.

I mean, I have a huge love for the Adam West series, but I’m quite happy that it’s no longer the main impression people have of the Batman Family of characters.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:58 am I think that's part of my issue: way more people know about MCU Thor vs 616/Comics Thor, and if MCU Thor becomes popular enough, he starts influencing the comics. Much the same way Tony Stark's more RDJ attributes were enhanced over his traditionally near-suicidal levels of responsibility.
To be fair the character assassination of Tony started a little bit earlier, when someone decided that it made sense for him to become the head of S.H.I.E.L.D. after he struggled for decades to keep any government and international agency from interfering with his company.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:48 pm
Ares wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:58 am I think that's part of my issue: way more people know about MCU Thor vs 616/Comics Thor, and if MCU Thor becomes popular enough, he starts influencing the comics. Much the same way Tony Stark's more RDJ attributes were enhanced over his traditionally near-suicidal levels of responsibility.
To be fair the character assassination of Tony started a little bit earlier, when someone decided that it made sense for him to become the head of S.H.I.E.L.D. after he struggled for decades to keep any government and international agency from interfering with his company.
To be extra fair, that was the least of the problems that hit Tony around that era. Bendis and Millar did him no favors.

Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:50 pm
To be extra fair, that was the least of the problems that hit Tony around that era. Bendis and Millar did him no favors.
No,but for meit was the sign that whoever was writing didn't understand the character at all.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:41 pm
Ares wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:50 pm

No,but for meit was the sign that whoever was writing didn't understand the character at all.
I'm of the Personal opinion the Marvel writers were looking for a more "publically known" Hero to "Pym-gate" and Tony fit the bill. Everybody on here know's how much i'll defend my Avengers and what they did to Stark during Civil War(1 & 2), Secret Invasion and the whole "50 States Initiative" BS was the modern way to assassinate a Character.JUST like they did Hank Pym.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

So we now have Madripoor in the MCU and it is cyberpunk as all fudge.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Voltron64 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:15 pm So we now have Madripoor in the MCU and it is cyberpunk as all fudge.
Without Patch around to take out Tyger Tyger's opposition, what'd you expect? ;)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

(Haven’t had a chance to watch the episode yet, but...)

A cyberpunk-ish Madripoor sounds like a logical thematic update to the place. The pre-war / post-imperial Open-Air Opium Den Not!Shanghai vibe that it has had ever since “Patch” first washed up on its docks hasn’t exactly aged well... It’s not quite a dated as the Mandarin’s old “Yellow Peril” schtick but it’s right up there with the Vietnamese Baby Mama looking for her long lost “G.I.”
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

True enough, i suppose. I know i'll miss the whole Cassablanca-like feel the place always had. I guess i'll give Asian Blade Runner a try....