Taros' Tokusatsu Builds (Battle Fever J! Secret Society Egos! Salomé! Egos Kaijin! Devil Robots! Cutmen!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: OwOMotaros's Tokusatsu Builds (Kamen Rider V3! Riderman!)

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:10 am Wow, Kame Riders are a LOT more powerful than I was expecting. I was thinking stuff like PL 8-10 Martial Artist type builds with a few extra tricks, and themed around their cool bikes. Instead some of these guys are major-league powerhouses, falling just under Ben Grimm in power, but having the accuracy of Shang-Chi. PL 14 is INCREDIBLY-powerful and world-beating stuff.

Kinda funny how this "Shocker" organization creates their own arch-nemesis. I assume they have other cyborgs of near-equal power to the Riders?
The Kamen Rider franchise has a lot of Power Creep associated with it as the kind of special effects a TV show can allow for continues.

Physically most Kamen Rider are roughly akin to MCU Spider-Man, being strong, tough, agile and fast, along with having some solid fighting skills. The earlier ones especially tended to be more straightforward fighter types, and most of their PL goes towards allowing for a sufficiently powerful Rider Kick finishing move.

Later Riders started to get more powerful tho. Sky Rider could fly, Stronger got electric powers, Super-1 had multiple arm weapons Black had multiple forms, J could grow to giant size, etc.

When Kuuga came along, the Riders tended to become even more powerful. Kuuga's super move could cause a mile-wide explosion, which was actually treated as a bad thing in-series and required him to isolate the villain to remote locations in order to not endanger anyone. Kabuto had full on Flash-syle superspeed when he'd clock up. Wizard was a full on spellcaster in addition to being a swordsman and fighter. Decade could copy the powers of any Kamen Rider he'd encountered before, making him obscenely overpowered comparatively speaking/

Then you had the ones who really went in on the multi-form aspects. Kamen Rider Double had this concept where one half of his body could switch between 3 powered forms, and the other half also had 3 powered forms, and by combining the forms in different ways you'd wind up with 9 total possible combinations. For instance, one side had a power called Lunar, which had the concept of "twisting and turning". If the other side had Joker (unarmed combat) on, this allowed him to stretch. If instead of Joker he had Trigger (his gun form) active, it allowed Double to "curve" his shots, making them bend around corners and twist in unique ways.
Double's Forms
Kamen Rider OOO's had a similar schtick, only instead of an equally divided body with 3 powers on each side, OOO's had his body divided into 3 segments: head, chest and legs. Each segment could turn into it's own theme with its own power. If he matched the theme of all three sections, he'd get a form that functioned at a higher level, or he could mix and match colors for some unique combinations.

Then you'd get Riders with a video game theme who could unlock power-ups, one whose powers were based on the ghosts of historical figures (making him a Kid Eternity-like Kamen Rider) etc.

So yeah, the later Riders are basically Spider-Man-level guys physically who often have additional advantages slapped on top of them, in addition to martial arts training.

However, Power Creep wasn't just for the new Riders. They do annual crossovers where the older Riders will fight alongside the newer ones, sometimes even fight against the newer ones. And when this happens, even Kamen Rider 1, who objectively should be one of the weakest Riders, is able to fight against the other Riders evenly. So the modern era makes even the older Riders into Spider-Man-style powerhouses who can hold their own against their newer counterparts. Ideally it'd be due to experience and skill, but often they just seem as capable as the new guys.

It'd be amazing to see what the Japanese studios could do with an MCU budget.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

Two things...

Ares, lemme just say, its great to see someone else this ready to go on spiels about Kamen Rider, we are gonna get along great. And yeah, Kamen Rider Power Levels can be a bit difficult. Tokusatsu in general is a bit loose with their scale, it makes this pretty difficult.

and Jab, in my mind, Riders (and most Toku Heroes in general beside the Ultras) are often undersold in regards to their true power, and I plan to give them the credit they deserve. The best way to explain the reason these PLs are so high is that these can best be described as the "Legend Rider" variants of these Riders. I mean, the Showa Riders have a minimum of 30 years experience under their belts, how could you not accumulate that much skill during 30 years of constant battle against mostly-equivalent foes. If these we examples of their in-series versions, I'd probably cut 2 PL from all of them. By the end of Kamen Rider, 1 and 2 were both PL 12, full-fledged superheroes, at the end of V3, V3 was also a PL 12 beast, while Riderman would've been around PL 10. Early-Mid Kamen Rider would've been more in line with your assumption. The original, 13-episode run for Rider 1 would've had him around PL 9-10, +11 accuracy, +9 damage from the Rider Kick, while Rider 2 would've been a solid PL 10 when he took over in episode 14. But, in comparison to, say, Marvel, they'd also have to be scaled back. Riders 1 and 2 are NOT in the same power league as Thor. They'd be an absolutely oppressive force if they were in that universe, there are upwards of 200 of these people, the weakest of whom are equal to an entire special ops squad, and the strongest of which is literally capable of destroying the concept of space-time.

oh god, how am I gonna handle Ohma Zi-O...
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

OwOMotaros wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:53 am Two things...

Ares, lemme just say, its great to see someone else this ready to go on spiels about Kamen Rider, we are gonna get along great. And yeah, Kamen Rider Power Levels can be a bit difficult. Tokusatsu in general is a bit loose with their scale, it makes this pretty difficult.
Hey, I just appreciate having the chance to gush about Kamen Rider for a change, much like how Solar Oracle's thread let me gush about My Hero Academia and Proditor's thread let me gush about Hanna-Barbera heroes. Honestly it's probably good for the board's sanity that you guys showed up to save everyone from me going on my 999th Captain Marvel spiel.

And I agree, Tokusatsu in general is much more "loose" about power levels than most comics tend to be, though a precise heirarchy has broken down in Marvel and DC of late. Tokusatsu seems to be more about "what's entertaining" as opposed to "how well does this fit with continuity".
and Jab, in my mind, Riders (and most Toku Heroes in general beside the Ultras) are often undersold in regards to their true power, and I plan to give them the credit they deserve. The best way to explain the reason these PLs are so high is that these can best be described as the "Legend Rider" variants of these Riders. I mean, the Showa Riders have a minimum of 30 years experience under their belts, how could you not accumulate that much skill during 30 years of constant battle against mostly-equivalent foes. If these we examples of their in-series versions, I'd probably cut 2 PL from all of them. By the end of Kamen Rider, 1 and 2 were both PL 12, full-fledged superheroes, at the end of V3, V3 was also a PL 12 beast, while Riderman would've been around PL 10. Early-Mid Kamen Rider would've been more in line with your assumption. The original, 13-episode run for Rider 1 would've had him around PL 9-10, +11 accuracy, +9 damage from the Rider Kick, while Rider 2 would've been a solid PL 10 when he took over in episode 14. But, in comparison to, say, Marvel, they'd also have to be scaled back. Riders 1 and 2 are NOT in the same power league as Thor. They'd be an absolutely oppressive force if they were in that universe, there are upwards of 200 of these people, the weakest of whom are equal to an entire special ops squad, and the strongest of which is literally capable of destroying the concept of space-time.
As a creative exercise I enjoy writing little crossover snippets of various characters teaming up, and I post them both here and on RPG.net. One of them I have in mind is basically the airport scene from Civil War, only instead of the Marvel heroes fighting each other, it's the MCU heroes fighting the Kamen Riders. The idea being that the Riders are being blamed for something and the Marvel heroes are there to bring them in for questioning, but the Riders are on a time limit, so a fight breaks out. You get Kamen Riders 1 & 2 versus Steve and the Winter Soldier, Skyrider vs Falcon, Amazon vs Black Panther, J vs GIAntman, Wizard vs Dr. Strange, Kabuto vs Quicksilver, etc. And the end of the teaser has Rising Mighty Kuuga doing his flying kick at Thor, who is swinging a lightning charged hammer right at Kuuga's foot.

It'd be epic as heck.

But yeah, the Legendary Riders are overall pretty dangerous, packing Spider-Man-like physical abilities with a variety of other powers and some solid fighting skills. This would make them an absolute pain in the butt for most heroes to fight. Then you have the ones with additional powers like Super-Speed, Form Shifting, Magic and the like, and you've got Riders that can hang with more powerful heroes, even if they lack the "I can lift a mountain" stunts comics heroes have. And then even the side-Riders tend to be outfitted with powerful gear and be pretty dangerous.

Overall, in a Marvel Universe setting, I'd see Rider-Man and similar side-Riders being Pl 9 or 10, your average Kamen Rider being around PL 12, and the more powerful Riders being PL 14.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
OwOMotaros

Reserved for Later

Post by OwOMotaros »

Reserved for Later
Last edited by OwOMotaros on Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:04 am, edited 25 times in total.
Ken

Re: OwOMotaros's Tokusatsu Builds (Ultraman!)

Post by Ken »

Looking forward to some Ambassador Magma. But not nearly as much as another poster undoubtedly is.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
OwOMotaros

Re: OwOMotaros's Tokusatsu Builds (Ultraman!)

Post by OwOMotaros »

Ken wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:51 pm Looking forward to some Ambassador Magma. But not nearly as much as another poster undoubtedly is.
As soon as I can find the series subbed, I'm gonna try to get on it. That series was always so weird to me, so I'm not sure how those builds will come out.
OwOMotaros

Reserved for Later

Post by OwOMotaros »

Reserved for Later
Last edited by OwOMotaros on Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:05 am, edited 10 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: OwOMotaros's Tokusatsu Builds (Ultraman! Ultra Series Kaiju!)

Post by Jabroniville »

How would Ultramen of various eras compare against Godzilla of various eras in fights, do you think?

ps how many Kamen Riders have there been? How long has the show run for? How popular were certain eras compared to others?
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:14 am How would Ultramen of various eras compare against Godzilla of various eras in fights, do you think?

ps how many Kamen Riders have there been? How long has the show run for? How popular were certain eras compared to others?
I gotchu:

1. Let's say, Original Ultraman vs Gen 2 Showa Godzilla. Godzilla would be a stronger-than-average monster of the week to him. The only conceivable way for Godzilla to win is to outlast him. Godzilla's durability is definitely sufficient to withstand a sustained onslaught from Ultraman, but if Ultraman's time limit never came into effect, then Godzilla would find himself vaporized. In general, most Ultramen could body most Godzillae in a fight.

2. There are 32 main Kamen Rider series (not including a few side series, specials, and films), starting in 1971 with the original Kamen Rider, up to the current season of Kamen Rider Saber. The Showa Era (Original Series to Black RX), are generally beloved as classics of Japanese fiction. When it started up again in the Heisei Era (Kamen Rider Kuuga to Zi-O), its been generally regarded as a solid continuation of that beloved franchise, keeping up with things like Dragon Ball and One Piece in sales every year. People love this stuff.
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

OwOMotaros wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:24 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:14 am How would Ultramen of various eras compare against Godzilla of various eras in fights, do you think?

I gotchu:

1. Let's say, Original Ultraman vs Gen 2 Showa Godzilla. Godzilla would be a stronger-than-average monster of the week to him. The only conceivable way for Godzilla to win is to outlast him. Godzilla's durability is definitely sufficient to withstand a sustained onslaught from Ultraman, but if Ultraman's time limit never came into effect, then Godzilla would find himself vaporized. In general, most Ultramen could body most Godzillae in a fight.

2. There are 32 main Kamen Rider series (not including a few side series, specials, and films), starting in 1971 with the original Kamen Rider, up to the current season of Kamen Rider Saber. The Showa Era (Original Series to Black RX), are generally beloved as classics of Japanese fiction. When it started up again in the Heisei Era (Kamen Rider Kuuga to Zi-O), its been generally regarded as a solid continuation of that beloved franchise, keeping up with things like Dragon Ball and One Piece in sales every year. People love this stuff.
Oh, forgot the Reiwa Era, which is just two series right now. It's not that much of a change from Heisei, but it is its own entity, so its worth noting.
OwOMotaros

Reserved for Later

Post by OwOMotaros »

Reserved for Later
Last edited by OwOMotaros on Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:05 am, edited 18 times in total.
OwOMotaros

Reserved for Later

Post by OwOMotaros »

Reserved for Later
Last edited by OwOMotaros on Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:05 am, edited 9 times in total.
OwOMotaros

Himitsu Sentai Gorenger/Black Cross Army

Post by OwOMotaros »

Now, we'll close out work on the beginning show of each series. The part I'm most excited about, finally getting to do some work on my favorite of the big 3 Toku franchises.....SUPER SENTAI!

OP: Susume! Gorenger
ED 1: Himitsu Sentai Gorenger (Song)
ED 2: Mi Yo! Gorenger

"The Five Assembled, Gorenger!"

Himitsu Sentai Gorenger
Tsuyoshi Kaijo/Akarenger
Akira Shinmei/Aorenger
Daita Oiwa/Kirenger
Peggy Matsuyama/Momorenger
Kenji Asuka/Midorenger
Gorenger Equipment

Black Cross Army
Black Cross King
Nichirin Kamen
Tetsujin Kamen Temujin Shogun
Hinoyama Kamen Magman Shogun
Golden Kamen Daishogun
Zolders (w/Vehicles)
Last edited by OwOMotaros on Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:23 am, edited 29 times in total.
OwOMotaros

Akarenger

Post by OwOMotaros »

Up first, the legendary first Red Ranger...

Akai Chikara de Akarenger

"Akarenger!"

Akarenger (Kaijō Tsuyoshi/Akarenger)
Role: The Leader, G.O.A.T, Cool Old Guy
First Appearance: Himitsu Sentai Gorenger Ep. 1: "The Crimson Sun! The Invincible Gorengers!"
Portrayed By: Makoto Naoya

PL 11 (14 w/Gorenger Hurricane (298.5 PP))

Identity: Kaijō Tsuyoshi (Known to Authorities)
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Eyes: Black
Hair: Black
Group Affiliation: Himitsu Sentai Gorenger (Field Leader), EAGLE (Earth Guard League), Super Sentai (De-Facto Leader)
Base Of Operations: Gorenger Base, Hidden Behind Snack Gon/Fruit Parlor, Tokyo, Japan

Abilities
Strength 2/6, Stamina 3/5, Agility 4/6, Dexterity 7
Fighting 11/13, Intellect 3, Awareness 5, Presence 5

Powers

GO!: Activation 1 ("GO!"). Total: 91

New Akarenger Suit: Decreased Stealth 2, Enhanced Abilities 10 (Strength 4, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Fighting 2), Enhanced Acrobatics 2, Enhanced Advantages 5 (Agile Feint, Evasion 1 (Total 2), Power Attack, Takedown 1 (Total 2), Uncanny Dodge), Immunity 5 (Environmental Conditions 5), Leaping 2 (30-ft), Movement 1 (Safe Fall), Protection 2, Senses 3 (Visual 2 (Extended 1 (-1/100) Low-Light Vision 1)), (Hearing 1 (Radio 1)), Speed 2 (120-fpr/8 mph). Total: 41

Birdies!: Winged Flight 7 (1/2-mpr/250 mph), Activation 1 ("Birdies!"). Total: 6

Red Bute!: Array 26 (3 Alternate Effects), Device (Easily Removable). Total: 16
  • Red Bute!: Movement 1 (Swinging), Choking Entangling Grabbing Reach 4 (20-ft) Smashing Strength-Based Strike 3 (Force, DC 24), Linked Cumulative Grab-Based Reach 4 (20-ft) Affliction 9 (Electrical, DC 19 Fortitude, (Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated))
  • Spear Bute! (Close): Double Reach 1 (5-ft) Smashing Strength-Based Strike 3 (Bludgeoning/Piercing, DC 24)
  • Spear Bute! (Ranged): Ranged 9 Smashing Strength-Based Strike 3 (Piercing, DC 24)
Silver Shot!: (Tranquilizer Shot!: Cumulative Progressive Ranged Affliction 7 (Biological, DC 17 Fortitude, (Impaired/Disabled/Incapacitated))), A.E (Flare Shot!: Environment 2 (Light, 60-ft)), Device (Easily Removable). Total: 22

Gorenger Hurricane: Dangerous 4 Penetrating 12 Shared (Gorengers) Variable Descriptor 2 (Target's Theme's Antithesis) Blast 15 (Force, DC 30). Total: 7

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Benefit 2 (Legendary Ranger, May Use Expertise: Current Events for Well-Informed), Connected, Contacts, Cunning Fighter, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment 15 (Red Star, Wrist Communicator, Group Vehicles), Evasion 2, Favored Foe (Black Cross Army), Fearless, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Critical (Ranger Gear) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 1, Improved Trip, Inspire 3, Jack-Of-All-Trades, Languages 2 (Japanese (Base), Assorted Others (Highly-Trained Secret Agent)), Last Stand, Leadership, Luck, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 3, Redirect, Set-Up 4, Takedown 2, Teamwork, Tracking (Visual), Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Bind, Well-Informed
Equipment
Red Star (PL 8 (5 PP/24 EP))
Medium
Strength 4
Speed 6 (1,800 fpr/120 mph)
Defense +8 (DC18)
Toughness 8
Features 3 (Alarm 1 (DC20), Hidden Compartments 1, Navigation System)

Wrist Communicator: Subtle 1 Communication Link 2 (EAGLE Channels), Feature 1 (Trackable Distress Beacon)

*47 points for Variblune/Varidorin, Varitank
Skills
Acrobatics 5 (+9/13 Total)
Athletics 7 (+9/13 Total)
Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+13/15 Total)
Deception 8 (+13 Total)
Expertise: Current Events (AWE) 8 (+13 Total)
Expertise: EAGLE Agent 8 (+13 Total)
Expertise: Super Sentai 14 (+17 Total)
Insight 8 (+13 Total)
Intimidation 3 (+8 Total)
Investigation 4 (+7 Total)
Perception 7 (+12 Total)
Persuasion 5 (+10 Total)
Ranged Combat: Ranger Gear 3 (+13 Total)
Stealth 6 (+10/10 Total)
Technology 2 (+5 Total)
Treatment 2 (+5 Total)
Vehicles 5 (+12 Total)

Offense
Initiative +8/10
Unarmed +13/15 | Close, Damage 2/6, Crit 18-20
Red Bute! +13 | Choking Entangling Grabbing Reach 4 (20-ft) Smashing Strength-Based Strike 9, Linked Cumulative Grab-Based Reach 4 (20-ft) Affliction 9 (Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated), Crit 18-20
Spear Bute! (Close) +13 | Double Reach 1 (5-ft) Smashing Strength-Based Strike 9, Crit 18-20
Spear Bute! (Ranged) +13 | Smashing Strength-Based Blast 9, Crit 18-20
Silver Shot! (Tranquilizer Shot!) +13 | Cumulative Progressive Ranged Affliction 7 (Impaired/Disabled/Incapacitated), Crit 18-20
Gorenger Hurricane! +13 | Penetrating 12 Shared (Gorengers) Variable Descriptor 2 (Target's Theme's Antithesis) Blast 15, Crit 16-20

Defense
Dodge 12/14, Parry 12/14, Fortitude 6/8, Toughness 3/7, Will 12 (+17 Fearless)

Abilities 80, Powers 91, Advantages 60, Skills 48.5, Defenses 19 = 298.5 PP

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Complications

Personality - Tsuyoshi was a somewhat simple protagonist; focused, leaderly, but with a hint of vengeful wrath against the Black Cross Army for the death of his brother in their opening strike.

Power Loss (Transformation) - The Gorenger Suits require a calm, focused mind. Heavy emotions will stop the necessary electrical charge from going through.

Power Loss (Tranquilizer Shot) - The Silver Shot's tranquilizer darts must pierce a target to deliver their agent, leaving it ineffective against heavy armor.

Power Loss (Red Bute) - Using the Red Bute's Ranged mode effectively disarms Akarenger of the weapon until he can reclaim it.

Responsibility (Red Senshi) - As the first in the long line of Sentai Reds, Akarenger feels an intrinsic duty to defend the Earth and mentor the next generation of heroes.

Background: Tsuyoshi Kaijo, the Akarenger. One of Five survivors of the Black Cross Army's massacre of EAGLE's Japan Bases, he was recruited by EAGLE's Japan Leader, Commander Edogawa, into the Gorengers, Earth's best chance against the enhanced forces of the Black Cross Army. Leading the team into battle as Akarenger, Tsuyoshi helped save the world, beginning the legacy of the Super Sentai, and defending Earth for nearly half a century, leading the combined forces of the Super Sentai against the Zangyack Empire, and even in conflict against their brothers-in-arms, the Kamen Riders.

Notes: At PL 11, Akarenger sits about a full PL above the rest of his team, and even in the modern era, contends with other Reds. With elite-tier martial skill and a powerful weapon, Akarenger is probably the most capable melee combatant of the group overall. Aside from his fighting skill, his general skill monkey-ness makes him pretty solid all-around, with great ranks in Deception, Insight, Perception, Expertises, etc. Not to mention his various team-based Advantages. With Inspire 3, Leadership, and enough Set-Up to cover his entire team, the man can organize your ass-whooping in a single turn. The guy is just an out-and-out badass without any notable failings, able to contend with even powerhouses like the Showa Riders in 1v1 combat.

Last edited by OwOMotaros on Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:51 am, edited 40 times in total.