Taros' Tokusatsu Builds (Battle Fever J! Secret Society Egos! Salomé! Egos Kaijin! Devil Robots! Cutmen!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
OwOMotaros

Re: OwOMotaros's Tokusatsu Builds (J.A.K.Q Dengekitai!)

Post by OwOMotaros »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:10 am Also, I kinda wonder if, thinking about it, ToQger's own "comedic finisher" bazooka is inspired by the Big Bomber.
I suppose, but the Renketsu Bazooka's comedic and strange effects at least have the reasoning of the ToQgers' Imagination to explain how they generate such weird effects. Big One just....decided to shoot a rat at Iron Claw in the final episode and he exploded. The 70's were so weird...
Grenzer

Post by Grenzer »

Okay, so now that Big One is posted I can talk about this a little more. J.A.K.Q Dengekitai was the second entry in the Super Sentai franchise... and almost the last. Now when Toei produced Gorenger just a few years earlier, obviously the company had no idea just how successful that show would be. It ran for almost two years, which in the context of Japanese television was almost unprecedented for this kind of children's programming. But it had to come to an end for a variety of production issues. Toei executives were of course very keen to follow up its success and had Shotaro Ishinomori oversee the production of a successor series that started the week after Gorenger ended.

That is when everything started to hit the rails.

J.A.K.Q was a huge disappointment in the ratings compared to Gorenger. As you can kind of guess just by looking at the photos in this thread, it was even campier than its predecessor and did not connect to audiences. Hiroshi Miyauchi was added to the cast as Big One in the hopes of bringing back viewers because he was so well liked as Aorenger, but the show only lasted another twelve episodes before being cut short. It was so bad that no Sentai show was aired on TV for another thirteen months, with the Spider-Man toku show filling in the slot. When a new show, Battle Fever J was commissioned, Ishinomori was not brought back as a creative supervisor, and he would never be involved in any Sentai project again despite living for another twenty years and Sentai shows staying in production every year afterwards. From what I understand the first two shows were not even fully considered Super Sentai until 1994, when as the franchise approached its twentieth anniversary, Toei executives embraced both Ishinomori shows to build up anticipation for Chouriki Sentai Ohranger... which would also be a major disappointment.

So in general the first two shows in the Super Sentai feel very different from the shows that came latter. The franchise would not even begin to hit upon what became the classic Super Sentai formula until Denziman in 1980, and even then it would take another half a decade or so to fully mature into something Power Ranger fans would fully recognize as the source of their own show. One thing you will notice is that in most of the early Sentai shows the cast were adults, young twenty-something adults but very much grown up, responsible role models rather than anything close to the 'Teenagers with Attitude' that would become the standard later. You have to wonder, if the franchise had never broken away from that element would it have been as attractive to Saban Entertainment to adapt for American audiences?
Last edited by Grenzer on Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

Grenzer wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:34 am From what I understand the first two shows were not even fully considered Super Sentai until 1994, when as the franchise approached its twentieth anniversary, Toei executives embraced both Ishinomori shows to build up anticipation for Chouriki Sentai Ohranger... which would also be a major disappointment.
That's right, until Ohranger, Gorenger and J.A.K.Q were considered "Sentai", but not "Super Sentai", with 1979's "Battle Fever J", the first Sentai to introduce a Giant Robo, being considered the first Super Sentai. Looking back on old pictures and seeing Battle Japan (to the right) interacting with his successors rather than Akarenger is still jarring.

OwOMotaros

Re: OwOMotaros's Tokusatsu Builds

Post by OwOMotaros »

Alright, everybody, next up, I'll be doing a bit of backtracking, and covering the villains of the various early Toku series. This is gonna take some time though, as I have to watch through tons of episodes to make sure I don't miss anything, so if this thread goes quiet for a bit, that's why. I'll still be here though, if anyone has questions or requests.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Fascinating stuff, especially with the behind the scenes origin of the Rainbow Ranger, who may be the most stand-out sentai design ever. Nice to see how everything began, even if it was highly different to what came later.

I was also interested in the one show where the villain references Japanese atrocities during WWII, and also that the villains were just cartoon racists. Still not something I hear talked about in Japan often.

The whole “lasts a full year” thing is a unique part of Japanese TV- Sailor Moon actually ran CONTINUOUSLY, going a full year more or less, at which point the next season started the next week. Very different from America’s “piles of episodes in a row, then repeats” formula.
Grenzer

Post by Grenzer »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:10 pm I was also interested in the one show where the villain references Japanese atrocities during WWII, and also that the villains were just cartoon racists. Still not something I hear talked about in Japan often.
Yes, Kawauchi's shows are an interesting chapter in Tokusatsu history. I doubt you would even have all of the franchises that came later without his pioneering work back in the 1950's, but he was a nut. Did I also mention that Mr. K was depicted as a religious Christian who prayed for the souls of his victims (friend or foe)? Not sure how this one would play out today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFzTO6OCPk0

In contrast, while Takeshi was depicted as a model of what young Japanese men should mature into, he was not depicted as being particularly jingoistic or judgemental of foreigners. It is what makes him palatable to modern audiences, but the double standard of nice and open-minded Japanese people versus bigoted gaijin is one of the stranger ones I have encountered.

And Condorman was even more insane. The monsters in that show were sort of living totems for global ills: Industrial Pollution, The International Arms Trade, Excessive Production of Garbage, and even the Oil Embargo Crisis!* And they had crazy costumes designs to go with it, and even odder was that they had human forms as disguises where they would go out and interact with the regular people for multiple episodes before they were exposed and defeated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R5n7z89--g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiPTEnM0I6Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH6pb7cv71I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGuxYviPRsY

It's a shame of lot of this stuff remains obscure, because it is fascinating at times to see what coming out of Japan during this period where its popular culture was fast maturing but almost never reached foreign audiences.

*I assume a lot of people on this board are familiar with this, or even lived through it, but just in case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_oil_crisis
OwOMotaros

Shine

Post by OwOMotaros »

Ok, I can't keep myself from posting, so let's start with some villains. It kinda feels like a disservice to post these guys first, but this'll keep the series contained, so here we are with J.A.K.Q's "big bad"....

"Die, J.A.K.Q! Die!" - Shine's last words immediately before Spade Ace just.....one-shot them

Shine

PL 5 (172.5 PP)

Identity: Shine
Height: Unknown (Small)
Weight: Unknown (Lightweight)
Eyes: None
Hair: None
Group Affiliation: Criminal Organization CRIME (Leader)
Base Of Operations: Shine Galaxy

Abilities
Strength -5, Stamina N/A, Agility 0, Dexterity N/A
Fighting 0, Intellect 7, Awareness 7, Presence 7

Powers

Illusory Appearance: Mental Communication 5 (Unlimited), Enhanced Intimidation 12, Limited (Illusory Appearance), Resistible by Will Morph 4 (Any Form). Total: 39

Small, Floating Ball of Crime: Comprehend 2 (Understand/Understood; All Languages), Flight 1 (60-fpr/4 mph), Immunity 40 (Mental Effects 10, Fortitude Effects 30), Innate Permanent Shrinking 8 (1-ft). Total: 63

Spark Attack: Blast 2 (Energy, DC 17). Total: 4

Advantages
Benefit 7 (May Use Expertise: Space Conqueror for Connected & Well-Informed Checks, Leader of CRIME), Connected, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 15 (Assorted Items), Leadership, Ranged Attack 4, Skill Mastery (Deception), Well-Informed

Skills
Deception 8 (+15 Total)
Expertise: Science 7 (+14 Total)
Expertise: Space Conqueror 9 (+16 Total)
Insight 5 (+12 Total)
Intimidation 0 (+3 (+15 w/Illusory Appearance))
Perception 3 (+10 Total)
Persuasion 8 (+15 Total)
Technology 7 (+14 Total)

Offense
Initiative +0
Spark Attack +4 | Blast 2

Defense
Dodge 4, Parry 4, Fortitude N/A, Toughness 0, Will 7

Abilities 12, Powers 106, Advantages 31, Skills 23.5, Defenses 0 = 172.5 PP

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Complications

Personality - A strict and arrogant leader, Shine instilled a terrifying amount of loyalty from his organization. However, it wasn't enough to save him when he was revealed to be nothing but a simple A.I.

Disabled - Shine is a floating ball of metal, glass, and various mechanical systems. He has no limbs to attack or manipulate with, and is highly vulnerable to direct attack.

Background - Shine, the true ruler of CRIME. An A.I from the "Shine Galaxy", Shine created Crime as a forward-operating force to prepare for their invasion of Earth. Installing Iron Claw as the leader of Crime's Earth operations, they watched from distant space. Growing tired of Iron Claw's continued failures against the J.A.K.Q Dengekitai, Shine got somewhat more involved, dispatching a more powerful set of monsters, the Invader Robots, to defeat J.A.K.Q. This development was countered with one of J.A.K.Q's own; the arrival of Big One. Finally fed up with J.A.K.Q, Shine dispatched one last Invader Robot, Great King Icarus, to handle their newest plan, Operation: Stardust, a plan to move Earth, via giant rockets, all the way to the Shine Galaxy. Arriving on Earth to appoint Great King Icarus to the leadership role of Crime personally, they showcased their control over Iron Claw, who argued for but a moment before obeying their orders. As J.A.K.Q descended on the Crime Fortress Island in the wake of Great King Icarus' death, and the attack on ISSIS directly by Iron Claw, Shine's true form was revealed; that being a small, floating ball of mechanical bits. Attempting to attack Spade Ace and Heart Queen with.....sparks? (its never really explained what they're doing there), they are quickly knocked out of the air by the Spade Arts. The last we see of Shine, they were tossed aside by Iron Claw after the revelation of their true form, we never even see them destroyed, they are simply tossed to the ground before Iron Claw takes on J.A.K.Q.

Notes: Shine isn't much to look at. A floating ball of evil A.I weirdness. They have no real offensive capabilities; -5 Strength, no limbs to attack with, and no sort of space lasers or 70's Japanese magic. They were quite easily one-tapped by Spade Ace's Spade Arts with next to no resistance. Their only real abilities are quite potent social skills, which I only added due to their ability to instill such fervent loyalty in Iron Claw without being revealed. As Iron Claw is an equal to Big One, only such high skill ranks could explain such a thing away. Shine's nothing to look twice at.
Last edited by OwOMotaros on Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: OwOMotaros's Tokusatsu Builds (J.A.K.Q Dengekitai! Crime!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

I swear the early Tokusatsu villains have some really hillariously anticlimatic final battles. (I'd assume it was a budget/time thing) Though I still love over in Space Sherrif Gavan where Don Horror is just kinda a huge statue that cna't move..but he can shoot eye lasers and has a ghostly hand snare thing, and then his head detaches and flies around while still shooting lasers like the Zeong from Gundam. ..And wierdly enough Shaider and Sharivan's villains also have the same head detaching gimmick.

Last edited by KorokoMystia on Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

OwOMotaros wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:30 am
"Die, J.A.K.Q! Die!" - Shine's last words immediately before Spade Ace just.....one-shot them
Well, at least Spade Ace didn't make a comeback like, "I can't die yet, I haven't seen Jolson No Monogatari."
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
OwOMotaros

Boss Iron Claw

Post by OwOMotaros »

Next up under our Crime builds, we have Crime's Earth Leader, and a man who was killed by being shot by a rat....

"I am the Emperor of the Solar System! His Excellency! You bastards shall bow to me!"

Boss Iron Claw

PL 12 (319.5 PP)

Identity: Iron Claw
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Eyes: Black
Hair: Black/Bald
Group Affiliation: Criminal Organization CRIME (Earth Leader), Shine (Subordinate)
Base Of Operations: Crime Fortress Island, Pacific Ocean

Abilities
Strength 8, Stamina 10, Agility 6, Dexterity 5
Fighting 12, Intellect 4, Awareness 5, Presence 5

Powers

Cybernetic Claw: (Blast: Accurate 2 Choking Dangerous 1 Grabbing Penetrating 5 Blast 8 (Slashing/Piercing, DC 23)), A.E (Claw: Slashing/Piercing, Penetrating 5 to Unarmed Damage), Removable. Total: 22

Cybernetic Warrior, Iron Claw: Immunity 16 (Aging, Fatigue Effects 5, Life Support 10), Leaping 4 (120-ft), Power-Lifting 2 (25 tons), Impervious 13 Protection 1, Speed 2 (120-fpr/8 mph). Total: 38

Disguise Mastery: Continuous Resistible by Insight Morph 3 (Humanoids). Total: 15

Reverse Magnetism: Immunity 5 (Magnetic Effects 5), Move Object 10 (25 tons, Limited 2 (Ferrous Material, Direction (Towards)). Total: 10

Toku Teleportation: Accurate Change Direction Change Velocity Teleport 10 (4 miles). Total: 32

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Benefit 4 (Can Use Expertise: Criminal for Connected & Well-Informed, CRIME Executive), Chokehold, Connected, Contacts, Equipment 10 (CRIME Fortress Island, Assorted Items), Evasion 1, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative 1, Improved Trip, Jack-Of-All-Trades, Languages 2 (Japanese (Base), Assorted Others (Global Criminal)), Luck 1, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Redirect, Startle, Takedown 2, Taunt, Weapon Break, Well-Informed, Withstand Damage 2

Skills
Acrobatics 7 (+13 Total)
Athletics 5 (+13 Total)
Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+14 Total)
Deception 8 (+13 Total)
Expertise: Criminal 9 (+13 Total)
Expertise: Space Lore 3 (+7 Total)
Insight 4 (+9 Total)
Intimidation 8 (+13 Total)
Investigation 3 (+7 Total)
Perception 6 (+11 Total)
Persuasion 5 (+10 Total)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+7 Total)
Stealth 5 (+11 Total)
Technology 4 (+8 Total)
Vehicles 2 (+7 Total)

Offense
Initiative +10
Unarmed +14 | Close, Damage 8, Crit 18-20 (Penetrating 5 w/Cybernetic Claw)
Cybernetic Claw (Blast) +12 | Choking Grabbing Penetrating 5 Blast 8, Crit 19-20
Reverse Magnetism +8 | Move Object 10, Limited 2 (Ferrous Material, Direction (Towards))

Defense
Dodge 13, Parry 13, Fortitude 10, Toughness 11 (Impervious +7), Will 8

Abilities 110, Powers 117, Advantages 45, Skills 36.5, Defenses 11 = 319.5 PP

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Complications

Personality - Ruthless and intolerable, Iron Claw does not hesitate to kill his underlings for failures.

Loyalty - Iron Claw was incredibly loyal to Shine, the true ruler of Crime. He was.....angered (to say the least) to discover that his great leader was just a floating A.I. ball.

Rivalry (Big One) - Iron Claw and Big One have a lightly touched on, but seemingly volatile rivalry.

Telekinetic Wave - In episode 29, Iron Claw showcased a degree of telekinetic power, keeping the Invader Robot Chief Mantis alive through multiple fatal encounters with J.A.K.Q. I didn't feel it was worth adding to the build, but I did stat it out: Telekinetic Wave: Affects Others Only Concentration Ranged Immortality 19, (+76). Total: 76

Background: Boss Iron Claw, CRIME's Earth Head and Emperor of the Solar System. A ruthless and powerful cybernetic being, Iron Claw oversaw CRIME's operations on Earth in service to his otherworldly master, Shine. Under his command, CRIME would find itself opposed by the cybernetic heroes of the International Science Special Investigation Squad: J.A.K.Q Dengekitai. No matter the schemes he and his human cronies would devise, they would be foiled by the cybernetic Sentai. Eventually, with his master breathing down his neck (so to say), and the arrival of Iron Claw's longtime rival Sokichi Banba to lead J.A.K.Q in the field, Iron Claw became more desperate with his schemes: devoting more of his own powers into efforts, and even taking to the field to engage the absolute wildcard of Big One. Despite these efforts, J.A.K.Q. continued to succeed, and CRIME continued to flounder, to the point that Shine deployed their personal general, Great King Icarus, to take Iron Claw's place in command of CRIME. Enraged at this, yet still loyal to his master, Iron Claw sat back as Icarus saw firsthand how difficult it was to handle J.A.K.Q, scoffing at his cowardice before executing him in their home base. Impressed by his servant's gall, Shine declared him the Emperor of the Solar System and decreed that he finish J.A.K.Q. off to secure his status. Leading a siege on ISSIS headquarters, Iron Claw began a final battle with Big One, stalemating him until the arrival of the rest of J.A.K.Q. Proving himself to be a Sentai Final Villain, Iron Claw took on the entire team at once (besides the lazy Big One), wiping the floor with them until Big One intervenes and orders the activation of the Big Bomber, which they use to kill Iron Claw, shooting a "poison rat" into his neck. Believing him dead, J.A.K.Q. resigns to their success, at least until J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai vs Gorenger, where Iron Claw reveals his survival, and leads the CRIME Big Four against the forces of two Sentai (as well as various other Ishinomori heroes), ending with the final destruction of CRIME. All that remains of Iron Claw is his titular weapon, kept by Big One as a trophy of his victory.

Notes: Iron Claw is quite powerful, though probably on the lower end of Sentai Big Bads. He's truly a rival to Big One, with the strength, speed, and skill to match, with a few other assorted abilities like Disguise Mastery, Teleportation, and Magnetism. He was able to absolutely annihilate the core J.A.K.Q. in a 1v4; tanking Spade Ace's Atom Shot, outspeeding Dia Jack, overpowering Clover King's gravity-enhanced slams, and even reversing Heart Queen's Magnetism back onto her. Big One is the only one on the team able to engage Iron Claw on an equal footing. Kinda went out like a bitch, tho.
Last edited by OwOMotaros on Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.
OwOMotaros

Crimers

Post by OwOMotaros »

And lastly for our Crime builds, my first Sentai Mook build...

Crimers

PL 5 (65 PP)

Abilities
Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 1
Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 0

Powers

Disguises: Resisted by Insight Morph 3 (Humanoids), Removable. Total: 10

Advantages
Equipment 4
Equipment
Grenades (Burst Area 1 (15-ft) Blast 5), A.E (Sten MK.2, Sidearms (Blast 5), A.E (Short Swords (Strength-Based Strike 2), Armor (Protection 2)
Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+4 Total)
Athletics 2 (+4 Total)
Close Combat: Blades 2 (+6 Total)
Deception 6 (+6 Total)
Expertise: Criminal 6 (+6 Total)
Intimidation 4 (+4 Total)
Perception 2 (+2 Total)
Ranged Combat: Guns 4 (+5 Total)
Stealth 4 (+6 Total)
Treatment 2 (+2 Total)
Vehicles 4 (+5 Total)

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed +4 | Close, Damage 2
Guns +5 | Blast 5
Short Swords +6 | Strength-Based Strike 4
Grenades (DC 15 Dodge) | Burst Area .5, Blast 5

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 4, Toughness 4/2, Will 2

Abilities 22, Powers 10, Advantages 4, Skills 19, Defenses 10 = 65 PP

Complications

Personality - Most Crimers are relatively dim-witted, perfect for mook work.
Weakness - Crimer armor is heavily metallic, leaving them vulnerable to magnetic effects.

Notes: The Crimers are pretty basic mooks, armed with small blades, firearms, explosives, and alright skills and defenses. They are almost never an issue for J.A.K.Q in a straight up fight, only ever to take them down through superior numbers and Mechanical Monster strategies. Sometimes, its alluded to that they are cybernetically enhanced, but we never actually saw anything like that, besides some explosives being set in a captive, who was being forced to fight as a Crimer. They're pretty basic, and pretty effective against the ISSIS guards they usually come up against before J.A.K.Q shows up and bodies them.
Last edited by OwOMotaros on Tue May 03, 2022 7:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

haha, the goddamn rat shot out of a cannon. Was that as "WTF?" to fans of the show as it looks? Is that thing generally able to just shoot whatever at any time?

Also funny how the bad guy was able to easily fend off all four fighters, but as soon as Big One showed up, they beat him in one hit.
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:05 am haha, the goddamn rat shot out of a cannon. Was that as "WTF?" to fans of the show as it looks?
I can only hope they were as confused as I am.
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:05 am
Is that thing generally able to just shoot whatever at any time?
Both the Gorenger's Gorenger Hurricane, and J.A.K.Q's Big Bomber were capable of firing...pretty much anything, though the Big Bomber only showed that ability a few times. A good example of the Gorenger Hurricane's capabilities is in the first episode of Gokaiger, the 35th anniversary season, where the Rangers could transform into previous teams. The first powers they used on Earth were the Gorengers, where they used the Gorenger Hurricane for........."cleanup".
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

THis is probably putting too much thought into it, but as they're shooting the rat, Big One says "A poison rat!" ..Maybe that's why it kills Iron Claw, since while he is a cybernetic warrior, he' still has a stamina score, so can still be poisoned? ..I dunno. Still hillarious, though.
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

Yeah, its weird. None of the cyborgs in Toku shows really show any Immunity to Fortitude Effects. I mean, most of J.A.K.Q gets gassed more than once (by a literal Nazi Crocodile), and the Showa Riders suffer from those effects on occasion without showing any real resistance.