Move Object Speed?

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Red Ryder

Move Object Speed?

Post by Red Ryder »

I have Move Object 11 at a PL11 campaign, essentially telekinesis.
Everything appears to be spelled out in the Move Object power for weight, range, etc..., but I couldn't figure out how fast I can move things once I "move" them.
I found a formula for Throwing Distance Rank = Strength Rank - Mass Rank, but this seemed a bit much.
Even though I am not actually throwing something, I am "moving" it with telekinesis, it would appear that at rank 11 strength of the power, or 50 tons, that I could move an object or grabbed person up to rank 2, 200lbs, approximately the distance of rank 9 or 2 miles in a single round.

Is that really correct or am I missing something?

As always, feedback is much appreciated as I wanted to be a character who can lift a lot, but not at the expense of seeming OP.

Thanks.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Move Object Speed?

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I think using the Throwing Speed is perfectly fine.
Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder »

Thanks again FuzzyBoots.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:34 am I think using the Throwing Speed is perfectly fine.
this yes to clarify since move object is effecitvely your strength for purposes of throwing the object thats why the throwing rules are best
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder »

Thanks catsi,

I think the only thing I was concerned about was it seemed possibly a bit OP.
I imagined that since Move Object is ranged and can make damaging grab attacks if you take the Damaging extra, the below possibility could happen:
1. Make successful attack check to grab a human, male, minion or villain weighing about 200lbs. up to the limits of the Move Object range.
2. If the enemy fails their strength/dodge check against DC 21, (my move object is PL11), then they are "grabbed".
3. On their next turn, the enemy can make an escape check using their athletics/acrobatics against DC 21.
4. If they fail the escape, then they are still held for my next action.
5. On my next action, throw the enemy 2 miles into either the sky or across town.

That would normally kill an average person, though I suppose my damage DC could only be capped at 26 if the damage was restricted by the damage DC of the Move Object.
The enemy would effectively be out of the fight unless they could move fast back to the location.

Let me know if I am thinking incorrectly about the above.

I appreciate the discussion.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Red Ryder wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:26 pm Thanks catsi,

I think the only thing I was concerned about was it seemed possibly a bit OP.
I imagined that since Move Object is ranged and can make damaging grab attacks if you take the Damaging extra, the below possibility could happen:
1. Make successful attack check to grab a human, male, minion or villain weighing about 200lbs. up to the limits of the Move Object range.
2. If the enemy fails their strength/dodge check against DC 21, (my move object is PL11), then they are "grabbed".
3. On their next turn, the enemy can make an escape check using their athletics/acrobatics against DC 21.
4. If they fail the escape, then they are still held for my next action.
5. On my next action, throw the enemy 2 miles into either the sky or across town.

That would normally kill an average person, though I suppose my damage DC could only be capped at 26 if the damage was restricted by the damage DC of the Move Object.
The enemy would effectively be out of the fight unless they could move fast back to the location.

Let me know if I am thinking incorrectly about the above.

I appreciate the discussion.
you can do all that perfectly legally yep

now can you do the same to Superman when he comes and has words with you about doing so?

thars the main key to stuff like that remembering the consequences to the action not just that you tossed a normal human 2 miles but who or what did he land on when he hit how much damage was done and who wants to have a word with you about randonly tossing civilians a few blocks without warning :D
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder »

Good point catsi.

I definitely want this character to be on the good side so I will keep your perspective in mind.

Thanks again.