Atrond Academy (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Imbasel

Atrond Academy (IC)

Post by Imbasel »

It was an unusually chill September day as the fleet of cars pulled up to Atrond Academy on September 3rd, 2021. The sleek black sedans each carried one student bound for Academy. A boarding school of international renown was moved five miles off the Atlantic coast some years ago on what used to be known as Three Mile Island. The small serviceable airport the students flew into is a restricted airspace for employees, VIPs, and of course the students themselves.

As the fleet of vehicles pulled into the grounds of the school there was a small audible pop in the ears of all going through security. A careful eye would spot a transparent force field enveloping the grounds ostensibly to keep the school safe from others. Cynics, as well as some opponents of the school, mused that it was more for the safety of the globe. Stepping out of the car the air is noticeably warmer, with some students shedding their black school sweaters as they walk into the entrance.

The school is a contemporary design feature large glass windows in an open air atrium that boasts superhero statues from around the entire globe. There are around 50 students in the new incoming class with most seeming like apathetic teenagers on their first day of class. However, some in the crowd are different with wings, metallic skin, and a sweet perfume scent emanating from various members. Everyone is ushered to the auditorium to begin their first day. With a removable roof made of tinted glass overhead, the soft waterfall of water can be heard as a storm emerges overhead. The deep maroon seats are highly comfortable made of supple leather that provides the ideal comfort for the now suitably impressed students.

The stage is massive with the curtains drawn back with a rather severe looking woman in a brown suit at the front. The woman looks to be in her mid 40s and is sweaty clean through her blazer with stains emerging. She looks clearly out of place in such clothing, but she pushes her fingers back on on her glasses. Pulling her wavy red hair back she speaks to the audience, "Students, I welcome you back to Atrond Academy an place where the new shall meet the old. My name is Magnetized and I am the Dean of Student's for the school. For, all of the new students we warmly welcome you to our magnificent school. This is a place where all of you will learn how to use and control your powers. This is a place of safety where you can learn your limits, and where the rest of the world is kept out. Without further ado I, would like to introduce you to the Headmaster of the Academy Mrs. Stone."

Behind the new students a roar of applause emerges. As students look back they see faculty, staff, and returning students clapping. The Dean of Students is clearly popular among those at the school for reasons unknown. An African-American woman in her early 30s walks onto the stage her green summer dress catching the hoots of some folks in the crowd. A quick severe glance from Mrs. Stone quiets those hoots quickly. Speaking calmly Mrs. Stone speaks, " Thank you Ms. William's for that, lovely speech. Students I am the Headmaster of this Academy, and it's my job to insure your safety and learning. However there is something more important that you must know. The world that we live in does not yet fully, understand, or accept us. Our kind is often persecuted against, and many of you will try living a normal life difficult at best.

The goal of this Academy is to help create people who understand their powers, and use them in a way to help society. Some of you will take more prominent roles such as hero teams. Others of you on the other hand, will choose a field related to their powers like Healing for doctors. Regardless, of what you choose this place shall be a safe one. I hope to meet each of you personally and now I would like to ask the Freshman class to perform one favor for myself and this school. I would like it if each of you could introduce yourself to us, and tell us a little about your powers. Now, who would like to go first?"
Doctor Malsyn

Re: Atrond Academy (IC)

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Jessamine Sinclair
P - 1
H - Normal

-----------

Today was, it now seemed, to be The Day. Quote and unquote.

She'd already long read the student handbook the school provided to her family weeks prior, yet she saw no issue in studying it closely again during the flight over. One would be remiss as to not carefully go over every facet of a facility's in-house procedures and nomenclature. How else would you be expected to properly bend those rules into a pretzel when you needed to get something done faculty might not strictly approve the conduct of.

Thumbing through the section regarding interstudent conflict resolution was already providing many valuable insights on how to properly deal with people who might not realize when to stop running their mouth off. No doubt her past counselor wouldn't approve of the fact she was already mentally preparing herself for another schoolyard fight. It was the only sensible thing to do however. Better to plan out what she'd be telling intervening teachers now then be forced to come up with an explanation on the fly. That very lack of foresight is why so many people failed to properly defend themselves against prosecution.

As the car started to pull up to her home for at least the next year, Jessamine carefully marked her place with a yellow post-it strip where it joined a dozen similar. There were some very interesting rules she needed to investigate more thoroughly. Later, however. It was time to see for herself what had the whole world on edge regarding mutant captivity under the guise of schooling.

Hands straight at her side, lips lightly parted in a sneer perfected to keep unwanted social interaction at a minimum, the young woman marched with poise into the atrium. Statues of heroes past and current spoke deeply about their practices of vanity and self-aggrandizing. Not exactly surprising considering their names were detailed on page thirty two of their handbook, though seeing them in person put things into perspective what she was dealing with. When sat down, she did with only the vaguest acknowledgment of her seatmates.

Close attention was paid to the speeches given by both Dean and Headmistress, as well as the reaction of the gathered crowd. Learning how to properly sway a crowd was an essential skill as far as Jessamine was concerned. The prompt at the end for students to freely announce themselves was a recipe for chaos however. No doubt the more boisterous and show-boating of students would try to draw all the attention onto them.

Unacceptable.

The young woman made to stand before anyone else could make their move, and attempted to set the tone for the ones which followed. When she spoke, her speech shifted slightly in the ears of each who could hear her into an imitation of their native dialects. "I am Jessamine Sinclair. I have complete control over my own Words." Somehow, it capitalized itself even in speech. "You will learn more if and when the need arises."

Introduction given, she calmly sat back down.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Blair "Indigo" Holland
Dodge: 8, Parry: 8, Tough: 8, Fort: 8, Will: 8, Perception: +10
HP: 1, Condition: Normal

This place was a much bigger deal than she expected. She probably should have read the manual they sent her over the summer. Some of the kids seemed stuck up. Others joked like kids should. When the Headmaster said they had to introduce themselves a wave of nausea swept over Blair. She didn't want to tell a bunch of kids what she could do. Her brother was always telling her superheroes were stupid because they generally tell their foes their abilities with their names. That's why she was called Indigo. It told you nothing about what she could do.

"Hi," she said as she go to the stage. She waved before continuing, "I'm Blair Holland and I can create these rays that are painful. I can also do this." She took a step upward and just hovered in place. "It's not really flying. But it's great for seeing parades." She heard a few snickers as she dropped to the group. She hoped they were laughing at her small joke and not her "flight".

She walked off the stage back to her seat thinking they'll find out she can teleport later. And as for her other powers, well, time would tell.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Duke Cagliostro
HP: 1

Robert shifted uneasily on his feet before running his muscles through a tension release cycle from his toes to his head and taking a deep breath to infuse himself with peaceful light, just as Guru Larson always suggested. Inhale the energy of this world, let it purge your weaknesses, exhale the intent you wish for the universe. This is a school assembly, even if it is one for the weird kids. Seeing the Blair girl finish her speech, he stepped out, walking crisply and with purpose, using that simple period of locomotion to be completely aware and centered in his movements, his metaphorical third eye that all of humanity had as an atavistic throwback to living in the jungle scanning for threats, feeling his muscles bunch and release as they moved him with maximal efficiency until he was at the podium. There, he stood, and quickly scanned the audience to establish his presence in their minds, the first move in the tactics of conversational Jiu-Jitsu.

"My name is Robert Lincoln, but I go by Duke Cagliostro in my fights, whether they're tournaments or defending the weak. It's kind of a tribute to one of my mentors that has served as an inspiration, may he rest in peace. I hold advanced belts in Savate, Shotokan Karate, Dan-Te, Musabetsu Kakutō Ryū, and Jiu-Jitsu. Oh, and I had my hands registered as deadly weapons, which was a pain, because I had to get a concealed carry license for this town so I can wear mittens." He paused for laughter that didn't come, other than one derisive snicker in the back.

"Anyhow, I have trained myself to the pinnacle of human performance, and I hold a professional record for MMA against powered and unpowered individuals. I'm in the latter category, no matter what the The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation alleges and I hope to be able to train other people to the same standard I hold myself to. I mean, not that I think powers are a shortcut..." he trailed off, realizing this was entirely the wrong crowd for this discussion, at least for now.

"Right. I've rambled on enough. Robert for my friends, Duke Cagliostro in a professional capacity. Hope to see you in the sparring ring some time."

He returned to his seat, trying to master his breathing to ensure that his face was not flushed with his embarrassment.
Well, it could be worse... I could have said something racist up there.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Khemis (Khemis Zerhouni)
Hero Points: 1; Current Condition: Fine

After been seen off on her flight to the Atrond Academy by Doc Hammerhead, Khemis spent her time in the air flicking through her Koran and bringing her diary up to date. As the plane began to descend she moved to the window and peered out at the island below, curious to see her destination.

Her interest in her new surroundings continued as she was met off the plane and ushered into the sedan that took her to the school, pleasantly surprised at the lack of any reaction to her strange appearance by the driver and airport staff. She watched the island roll past as she was driven to the school and they popped through the force field into the school grounds themselves.

Trusting the driver at their word that her small amount of luggage would be taken to her assigned accommodation, she stepped out of the car and joined the students milling through the school entrance, walking slowly to take in the impressive school buildings, so different to the schools she had known in her pre-super life. She paused for a moment as she saw her favourite superhero, the Middle Eastern heroine Al-Dalhama, among the statues arrayed around the atrium, then let herself be ushered from there into the auditorium, where she sits at the end of one of the rows of seats, roughly halfway down.

She looks around in surprise at the sudden outburst of enthusiasm when the Headmistress appears on the stage, then returns her attention back to Mrs. Stone.

She smiles a little at Duke Cagliostro's fair attempt at humour, though given her black on black colouration this is hard to spot from any distance. After he returns to his seat, she stands and makes her way briskly to the stage, her appearance a black silhouette under the school uniform and green headscarf she is wearing, the flip flops on her feet oddly silent as she walks.

Looking out over the audience from the podium, her body language and the motion of her tentacular hair expresses nervousness for a moment before she clearly clamps down on it and stills, flicking one end of her headscarf over her shoulder.

"Hi! I'm Khemis Zerhouni!" she says to the room at large, giving a small wave and a largely invisible smile, her voice unexpectedly deep and raspy. "Call me Khemis! I'm looking forward to going back to school!"

She appears to not notice the less than impressed looks from some of the students at the suggestion of wanting to go back to school.

"Anyway, Allah has seen fit to transform me into how you see me now. He has granted me great strength and toughness and flexibility," she continues, her words sounding a little rehearsed, and her left arm stretching to some fifteen feet long to give the auditorium a much larger wave before shrinking back to its previous normal size. "With which I hope to be able to do good in the world, and make it a better place." She deliberately does not mention her other powers at this point.

"After getting the proper training of course!"

She pauses from a second. "Thank you!"

Making her way down from the stage and back to her seat, she walks in a slightly more relaxed manner, relieved that the new student introduction she had thought they would have to do is over...
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Velvet "VV"
Hero Points: 1 / Current Condition: Healthy

Velvet was aglow with excitement. First day of school, and not just regular school, but a school where everyone would have powers. While Velvet was lucky in the sense that she had no physical manifestation, it was a side of herself she had to keep mostly hidden to avoid drawing the wrong kind of attention. But here, at this school, not only could she use her powers, but learn to use them in a way that would help people.

"Hi everyone! My name is Velvet, and I'm so happy to be here with you all! My power is to switch places between things I have touched, or myself." by way of demonstration (or an inherent need to show off a bit), Velvet takes a pair of beanbag balls, one red, one blue. Yes, she'd prepared beforehand for just such a demonstration. Holding up the two beanbags, she swaps thier positions in her hands, tosses the red one into the air for people to see before swapping it for the blue one and catching it.. "Ta-da!"
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Jessamine Sinclair
P - 1
H - Normal

-----------

Already Jessamine found herself mentally assigning people into neat little boxes. 'Duke' seemed to be the attention seeking type, with perhaps a delusional edge. Khemis was either a religious devout or a fanatic even with her 'good intentions'. Briar had a nervous edge, though readily stepped up for an introduction regardless. Velvet seemed to be the 'bubbly' type, readily showing off her abilities as if they werr party tricks.

Insight: 15

Her intuition wasn't telling her much else aside from what they already revealed personally. Anything else useful to note would have to be learned later, if there was even a need.

Initial assements made, she continued to watch other students introduce themselves with similar intent to categorize.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."