The Thunder Woman & Extraordinary Mythos Characters and Setting

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
dsumner

Re: The Thunder Woman & Extraordinary Mythos Characters and Setting

Post by dsumner »

Some how I am just now seeing this.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

dsumner wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:22 am Some how I am just now seeing this.
Hey there! Glad you could make it!

I don't blame ya, it's been low-key buried by other threads the past few days, so you'd need to dig to find this. But glad you did. :)

Stay tuned for more builds. I have a "mid-week" build in progress for the non-powered Samantha coming up, plus the next character after her. :)
dsumner

Post by dsumner »

bsdigitalq wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:00 pm
dsumner wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:22 am Some how I am just now seeing this.
Hey there! Glad you could make it!

I don't blame ya, it's been low-key buried by other threads the past few days, so you'd need to dig to find this. But glad you did. :)

Stay tuned for more builds. I have a "mid-week" build in progress for the non-powered Samantha coming up, plus the next character after her. :)
Looking forward to it.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Revived my PostImg account and added a few more pics to the characters lists on Page 1. Should be a nice way to visually introduce a few characters and teams until I get around to building them, and make looking through those lists a bit more interesting. This also means I'll be able to reboot/revive my art thread here, so keep an eye out for that.

In the meantime, working on the next builds. I'll be doing a "mid-week" build as well as the usual weekend updates; usually these will be just variants on characters.

Here's the current lineup of what I have coming up, not in any sort of order, so expect this to be a little random:

Samantha West (mid-week)
David Levoski
Katrina Becker
Ranke
Tia Bergman
Norse Thunder Woman (mid-week)
Lunazon
Herakles
Firebolt
Interceptor
Officer Maria Ellis (mid-week)
Queen
Maximaiden II
Night Stalker IV
Connie Benakis (mid-week)
Thunder Girl
Hera
Hephaestus
Apotheos
Malekha Tanith
August Star II
Helreginn
Dr. Richard Douglas
Dr. Patricia Steele
Agent Mason
Agent Lyssa
bsdigitalq

Samantha West

Post by bsdigitalq »

ImageImage
Art by Danilo Cassonato (left) and Trent Maduro (right)

SAMANTHA WEST
PL 5 (85)

STRENGTH 1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
DEXTERITY 0 FIGHTING 4
INTELLECT 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise: Archeology 8 (+12)
Expertise: History 6 (+10)
Expertise: International Events & Global Affairs 4 (+8)
Expertise: Mythology & Folklore 10 (+14)
Expertise: Theology 6 (+10)
Insight 4 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Advantages
Beginner's Luck, Connected, Extraordinary Effort, Inspire, Languages 3 (Arabic, Greek, Hebrew, Latin), Ranged Attack 4, Taunt, Teamwork

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed, +4 (DC 16)

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 4, Fortitude 2, Toughness 2, Will 8

Complications:
See Thunder Woman

Power Points
Abilities 34 + Powers 0 + Advantages 13 + Skills 28 (56 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 85

And here is Samantha in her unpowered, regular old human self. Prior to and after becoming Thunder Woman, she is a graduate student in her late 20's (approximately 27-29) studying for her doctorate degree at Olympia Bay University. Ostensibly her goal is to become an archeologist, though questions of having a viable career path have her considering pivots...and that's not even getting into how becoming Thunder Woman has complicated her life!

She is a native of Olympia Bay, born to Philip West, a building manager originally from the Midwest, and Diana Nikopolou West, an Olympia Bay native from the neighborhood of "Neolimania," more colloquially known as "Greektown." She is the middle child of a set of five, her siblings being:

- Alexander, the eldest, a high powered lawyer who is estranged from the family
- Helen, Samantha's older sister and a single-mother also estranged from Philip and Diana, though she remains in contact with her younger sister
- Nicholas, Samantha's teenage younger brother on the brink of graduating high school
- Daphne, the youngest of the West children, recently turned 13

Besides her immediate family, Samantha also has her aunt, Helena, and her husband Niko, who both run Niko's Diner, where Samantha works as a waitress when not at OBU. Through them is Gregory, although Samantha does her best to avoid him due to his history of troublemaking and connection to disreputable individuals and local gangs.

While studying at OBU, Samantha works as an assistant to Dr. Richard Douglas, Dean of the Department of Humanities at OBU and curator at the Kanellis Museum of Art & History. This work includes doing research and writing for Dr. Douglas, preparing materials for his various classes and presentations, and even sometimes filling in for him on some of his classes when he is unavailable. He also functions as her academic advisor. Another professor who she is on good terms with is Dr. Robert Michaels, who is charge of OBU's religion and philosophy programs.

Besides Dr. Douglas, Samantha's other main associate at OBU and her personal BFF is Tia Bergman, a fellow graduate student who is also a librarian at OBU's Kanellis Library and possibly the only person more knowledgeable and well-versed in folklore and mythology than Samantha herself. Tia is the last remaining person from a circle of friends that Samantha was a part of back in high school, with the others drifting away over the years.

Samantha's other main friend is David Levoski, a young man in one of the neighboring apartments at the complex she lives at who cycles through a number of jobs to support himself while he works at an attempt to be a writer. While they are friends, it has become close to enough to be just on the cusp of something more than that.

The only thing possibly holding it back has been Samantha's frustrating love life. Her most successful relationship was with Katrina Becker, but even that eventually ended, albiet much more amicably than other romantic relationships Samantha has engaged in since becoming Thunder Woman. She still carries a torch for Katrina despite being the one who broke off their relationship, something further exacerbated after Katrina was transformed into Ranke by Helreginn.

Other associates and acquaintances include:
- Dino Stephanopoulos, an old high school crush who runs a repair shop
- Francine “Francy” Nell, one of Samantha's other apartment neighbors who she helps out frequently and who treats Samantha as if she was her own daughter
- Mike and Tony Castellanos, the twin Italian brothers who own and operate Castellanos' Pizza, the most popular pizza place in the neighborhood
- Serena Lewis, one of Samantha's old high school friends, now a live reporter for Olympia Bay's top local television station
- Joseph Perez, an agent of and Samantha's contact with the Extraordinary Regulatory Administration (ERA)

Though she has a decent circle of friends and family around her, Samantha is not without her enemies outside of being Thunder Woman. Her primary antagonists at OBU are Zoe Sarkin, a young social studies professor, and Jon Chapmann, an associate of Sarkin who is part of OBU's media program. Their adversarial relationships with Samantha stem partly from opposing viewpoints on a variety of issues, Samantha's associations with Dr. Douglas and Dr. Michaels, and both of them possessing rather negative personalities that they just barely contain in order to maintain a veneer of professionalism. Samantha also worked with Invidia McCullough while that woman was at OBU prior to her firing and later transformation into Thunder Woman's dark mirror image counterpart, Thunder Slayer. The former human identities of the villains Deathgrip, Vastatrix, and Medusione were also OBU faculty and students prior to their subsequent transformations, although Samantha was much less directly acquainted with them than the other previously mentioned individuals.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

SAMANTHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Lord, she's so cute :). The smile and the bob haircut Trent gave me made me realize I find her even more attractive than TW, despite the latter's muscles and fanservice, lol. She just seems adorbz. And I dunno why, but the tight t-shirt & jeans look just WORKS.

I actually didn't know any of that about her family life- two siblings estranged from the family? That's nuts. Also a lot of siblings for a superhero, most of whom have a minimum of siblings or are only children (nearly all the big names). That's a big stretch of family members, too- fourteen years of kids?

Samantha having TWO jobs is also pretty impressive for a superhero- how does she find the time? Especially considering being Thunder Woman ALSO affects her academia.

Her having 4 villains associated with OBU is pretty interesting- reminds me of Peter Parker's High School & College, both of which led to a fairly large increase in the number of tights-wearing people at Marvel, lol.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:48 amI actually didn't know any of that about her family life- two siblings estranged from the family? That's nuts. Also a lot of siblings for a superhero, most of whom have a minimum of siblings or are only children (nearly all the big names). That's a big stretch of family members, too- fourteen years of kids?
Philip and Diana had Alexander, Helen, and Samantha pretty close together and then went a number of years before conceiving Nicholas and Daphne.
Samantha having TWO jobs is also pretty impressive for a superhero- how does she find the time? Especially considering being Thunder Woman ALSO affects her academia.
She works at Niko's between semesters, or whenever she's really desperate to pay off bills/student debt. So usually she's not working both of those jobs at the same time.
dsumner

Post by dsumner »

Mind if I ask a few questions? Namely could tell us who the people in the illustrations are?
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

dsumner wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:33 am Mind if I ask a few questions? Namely could tell us who the people in the illustrations are?
Sure! I'll note that with some of them, I positioned the pics near where the characters are on the lists.
dsumner

Re: Extraordinary Mythos Heroes

Post by dsumner »

bsdigitalq wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:01 pm Image

So, who are these guys?
bsdigitalq

Re: Extraordinary Mythos Heroes

Post by bsdigitalq »

dsumner wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:38 am
bsdigitalq wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:01 pm Image

So, who are these guys?
Four teams. They're a little mixed in together, but broadly speaking from left to right it's:
- The Allegiance (Present Day)- Dr. Quanta, Harmonika, Megabeast, Silver Centurion, Afterburner, and Blacksmith
- The Peacemakers- Silver Bullet, Iron Curtain, Gryphon, Corona, Megaton, Bulwark, Whisper, Tigress (Ricochet is missing from this lineup)
- The Star Chamber- Continuum, Renaissance, Cauldron, Stronghold, Solaris, Phylogen and Psion all the way on the far right
- The Vigil Alliance- Lady Midday, Tugarin, Velikisyn, Stalkhozyain, Chernorda, Nightingale, Koldun

The Allegiance are the main "big time" superhero team legacy, akin to the Justice League or Avengers

The Peacemakers are a quasi-X-Men style group focused on powered/non-powered relations and opposing radicals on both ends of the spectrum

The Star Chamber are a high-powered Authority-style team

The Vigil Alliance are a group of time-lost, formerly Soviet Russian superheroes
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Ok, as I work on prepping the next builds, I'd like to out a feeler to everyone who has and still is following my stuff here: I plan on rebooting/reviving the art thread as well, but am not quite sure where to start. When I do revive the art thread, what would you guys like to see? This will give me some idea of where to begin, and once that happens, I should be well on my way for a bit.
bsdigitalq

David Levoski

Post by bsdigitalq »

ImageImage
Art by Danilo Cassonato (left) and Trent Maduro (right)

Art by Trent Maduro

DAVID LEVOSKI
PL 3 (50)

STRENGTH 1, STAMINA 1, AGILITY 0,
DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 1,
INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 1

Skills
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise: Art 6 (+8)
Expertise: Current Events 2 (+4)
Expertise: History 4 (+6)
Expertise: Pop Culture 10 (+12)
Expertise: Writer 6 (+8)
Insight 6 (+7)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 5 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+4)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+2)
Stealth 5 (+5)
Technology 3 (+5)

Advantages
Equipment 1 (Smartphone, Notebook), Redirect

Offense

Initiative +0
Unarmed, +1 (DC 16)

Defense
Dodge 0, Parry 1, Fortitude 1, Toughness 1, Will 5

Complications
Enemy (Hera)
Enemies (Jessica Sinclair/Miranda Iryn)
Enemies (Zoe Sarkin/Jon Chapmann)
Fame (Thunder Woman's chronicler)
Motivation (Chronicling Thunder Woman's adventures)
Motivation (Expression)
Motivation (Writing/Creating)
Relationship (Family)
Relationship (Samantha West/Thunder Woman)
Rivalry (Other Romantic Partners of Samantha)

Power Points
Abilities 14 + Powers 0 + Advantages 2 + Skills 30 (59 ranks) + Defenses 4 = 50

David Levoski is tenant in one of the apartments neighboring Samantha's. He is an aspiring/struggling writer just barely skating by in life, often via the various low-end day jobs that he can never seem to stay in for too long. He has struck up a friendship with Samantha and frequently seeks her out for advice and motivation. His discovery that she is Thunder Woman was a big game changer for him, and in an attempt to kickstart his manuscript, he has made himself the "chronicler" of Thunder Woman, going out of his way to get near scenes where she is active and recording the events in his notebook. This drive to document Thunder Woman's adventures naturally means he sometimes ends up as less of a bystander and more of a participant, getting more adventure and peril than he necessarily anticipated. However, for all the trouble that he gets into be being involved with Thunder Woman, his presence has sometimes helped turn the tide, either via securing a crucial bit of info to save the day, or distracting a threat long enough for Thunder Woman to seal the deal.

David and Samantha are just on the cusp of a romantic relationship. Samantha has not had a boyfriend in a long time and feels out of her depth, while David struggles to discern who he is truly attracted to. For all that Thunder Woman is physically perfect and the muse for his writing, he likes Samantha as a human person more than her superpowered persona. It will take time for things to shake out and for the two of them to figure out where they stand with each other.
Last edited by bsdigitalq on Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ah, interesting- his status with TW is just beginning, then. He’s definitely more of a sad-sack compared to the typical Superheroine Boyfriend, given his lack of employment and recurring firings, but it’s interesting how it’s tossed in that he’s unsure about his attractions.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:40 pm Ah, interesting- his status with TW is just beginning, then. He’s definitely more of a sad-sack compared to the typical Superheroine Boyfriend, given his lack of employment and recurring firings, but it’s interesting how it’s tossed in that he’s unsure about his attractions.
It's a bit of a "will they/won't they" style drama, with a twist. Partly to make their relationship a bit more interesting, partly to add a bit of conflict that can lead to some of the other entanglements both of them get up to, partly to develop both of their characters, and partly because of the new prior romance with Katrina.

He's definitely the most normal of the male love interests for Sam, or at least the least idealized. Dino is the hunk Sam had a crush on, Martin is suave, stylish, and has money, and all the rest are superheroes or demigods. That may actually end up as a point in David's favor in the end, but we'll see how things play out.