[MM3]Sunstormers IC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Neo-Paladin

Re: [MM3]Sunstormers IC

Post by Neo-Paladin »

-----Helen----
Through the door to his apartment, Helen can hear Jun's voice. " I didn't order anything! Sorry, but I'm not in the mood for pranks!"

----The Others----

The vision of Carr is way too chaotic to allow for any placement in a specific location. The sky is overcast and everyone is wearing winter-appropriate clothing.

The vision of the twins does includes parts of the Atlanta skyline.

And the vision about Joanna is hard to place, as there are several cemetaries in Chicago. However, it seems to be early to mid-spring in that vision.

Meanwhile, the conversation down in the backyard continues.

" It would help a lot if you could give us specifics about what exactly we are looking for. Usage of his...powers? Crime?" Ebert asks. It's obvious he is a bit frustrated about McMillan's apparent reticence.

" If I had more info, I would tell you immediately. But I can only tell you what I myself know. And that's that he is a potential danger."

" We can't do this much longer. The drugs, the...changes, they don't make good spies. The hormones alone are wrecking havoc on team cohesion...we are all itching to get something done. And that something is violence. We're soldiers. Not watchdogs."

" But you are the only ones who could stand up to a Sunstormer. I know that's not what you were made for, but it's a fact."

" Look, sir, I respect the chain of command and I am not threatening subordination, but we need a target to be pointed at and soon. Otherwise I can't guarantee some of us won't go AWOL."

Nemesis laughs. And they think YOU are dangerous...mankind still creates the worst monsters themselves. It was about time for my gifts to you, wouldn't you say?
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

"Awww...Come on, Jun!" Helen answered in a falsified whiny tone. "If this was really a prank, then i will have a bunch of colorful balloons and a gigantic piece of cardboard that says: 'You just won a million dollars! Congratulations!' But noooo, instead i just happened to have a tray of a tex mex sampler. So are you hungry or not? And don't let my uniform fool you, the ubereats gig is a sideline for beer money. Okay, so I'm lying about working for ubereats. The meal was 15% off with a 20 dollar purchase." Helen let go of the tray but it did not fall to the floor as expected. Instead it floated a little unsteady about a foot in front of Helen as she continued to knock on the door.

"Be thankful it's not a singing telegram, i have a voice of a drowning housecat. Of course when I'm drunk, I'll sing my ass off anyway.

Come on, Jun. I know who you are. An orderly from the hospital you were staying at saw you do your flashy exit when you...left the premises. Paragon of virtue that he was, he quickly started a online bidding war to see which media outlet was going to be the first to come over and rummage through your underwear drawer or sift the trash. In fact i wouldn't be surprised if they are hiding outside right now spying on us. The perverts. I know this because the sons of bitches often do that to me since i went public about my abilities as a sunstormer. Its a sad day when you can't even walk around naked in your own apartment anymore. Weelll... I do that anyway."
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

There is a moment's hesitation before the door opens slightly. " What can I do for you, officer?"
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

"Relax, Jun. This isn't a shakedown. If i was really harassing you, then i wouldn't spend my own money on this meal even if it wasn't 15% off. The sales tax alone is murder. Its not poisoned or anything, although the place where it came from might have bribed the health inspectors. Eat it or not; throw it away, i don't care."

With that Helen carefully set the tray down on the floor outside the door, still without physically touching it. Miraculously the food did not spill over from the sudden movement.

"Hey! Will you look at that? I am really improving on this gravity thing. As to why i am here. Mainly to see how you're holding up. I personally don't give a crap what you do in the privacy of your place. The orderly who sold you out is currently in police custody for attempting to give me a close shave with a box cutter. You're safe enough for now though there isn't a guarantee of that unless there is something you want to get off your chest. Such as why the officers on the scene didn't properly file the report of your assault or on how they knew or even suspected in advance you were a sunstormer.

On another note, have you been in contact with someone named Nibiru? Regardless if you did or not, my advice is to avoid her, the government and especially any other so called sunstormer activists using you as a scapegoat, experiment recruit, bait or even as a victimized martyr for their trumped up causes. Trust me, Uncle Sam has already taken my blood and DNA. Its not pleasant to say the least let me tell you. But then again that's my own choice and something i have to live with for the rest of my life but it does not have to be yours. Think about that."
Last edited by Shadowmask on Wed May 24, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

The door opens a bit wider.
" I'm sorry? I never heard of anyone called Nibiru. Who's that supposed to be? Also...I don't want to be in the spotlight. But, now that you mention it...I'm not so sure it's trumped up. I WAS shot...and apparently, some Sunstormers did get hurt or killed. Something IS going on. I'd love to not be a part of that but I am...just like you, ma'am."
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

"Not like me exactly." Helen said flatly. "For starters, you ain't a female or even Italian. But never mind that. The fact that no one besides me paid you a visit means either that they, whoever the hell they are, are awaiting orders or...you truly are bait. Possibly a stalking horse to draw in more sunstormers. Possible yet unlikely."

She looked around the hallway warily. Of course if there were any surveillance devices planted at all, then they were expertly hidden. She could have Park call in for a search warrant to find and rip the things out but there's no point if no such devices were in place in the first place.

"When they took you to the hospital, who, if they ever did, actually interviewed you while in recovery before your sudden departure? Uniformed or plainclothes? Uniformed cops means the case is pretty open and shut and they get to go home without a fuss. Just another drive by shooting for the records. Plainclothes detectives however means it's an open case pending investigation. The fact you left and no official alarm was raised to CPD nor was there any APB issued means government suits are involved."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Neo-Paladin wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:11 am And the vision about Joanna is hard to place, as there are several cemetaries in Chicago. However, it seems to be early to mid-spring in that vision.
OOC: Well, perhaps there is enough detail that a bit of Investigation later on can narrow it down...
Neo-Paladin wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:11 am Nemesis laughs. And they think YOU are dangerous...mankind still creates the worst monsters themselves. It was about time for my gifts to you, wouldn't you say?
"No!" whispers Khemis. "Punishing their unethical actions as they flail about looking for solution with 'gifts' of Sunstormer powers that cause them to double down on the actions that you are punishing them for in the first place seems ... poorly though out..."
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Sunny was not pleased to hear that "Nemesis" was back. His mind was already operating at Super-speed, but now he brought up his senses to their maximum, analyzing the cosmic energy that underlay all of his reality. To his sight, it became even clearer that Tim McMillan was a Sunstormer, as the energies of distant stars clung to the older man, faint as it was. Sunny did his best not to be obvious about scanning his surroundings for that clump of primal, cosmic something he had seen the last time "Nemesis" decided to play shoulder-devil for Khemis.

What was worse was that Khemis was responding to the interloper. Verbally.

Sunny's pen blurred across the page, then he pushed the notepad in front of Khemis as his other hand went to raise a finger before his lips in the classic "shush!" gesture. On the page, a reminder: ">>Stop talking. We don't want to be heard.<<"
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

For the record, yes, Khemis is whispering to Nemesis, but it is at a 'barely audible if you're right next to her' kind of level. Hopefully not a level audible by the people we're observing...

She gives Sunny a thumbs up.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

----Helen-----

Jun hesitates before opening the door wider. It's obvious to Helen that he does not move at all like someone still recovering from a near-fatal gunshot wound, which can normally take weeks, if not months. " Maybe we should talk inside", he says, stepping aside to let her in.

----The Others------

They created these soldiers before the Sunstorm, remember?Nemesis asks. They created monsters for their wars. Not in reaction to you.

Meanwhile, McMillan sighs and shakes his head. " How long do you think you can keep your people in line?"

When Ebert responds, it is obvious that he's frustrated about Ebert not truly responding to the ultimatum. " Two weeks, tops."
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

Helen stepped inside cautiously. She noted the remarkable recovery for a gunshot victim but didn't mention it. Was Jun wearing Kevlar at the time or was it because of his sunstormer abilities included rapid healing?

Could the whole thing been staged? Extremely unlikely.

While Helen couldn't get a straight answer from both what the orderly had told her earlier and the poorly presented "police" report of the incident, the filed medical documents from the doctors (which thankfully was not seized or digitally erased) that she had gotten a faxed copy of shortly before arriving here, proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that at the time of his arrival to the hospital Jun definitely wasn't faking his injuries.

She contacted Park via her shoulder mic.

"Make yourself useful and keep an eye out, Theodore."

"For what? Paparazzis?"

"No. Those vultures would have been camped outside and already crawl over me like i was naked and covered in honey over an anthill the second we showed up. No, just be on the lookout for disguised g-men, sunbathers or even sunstormers...we're being watched."

Helen turned to Jun and asked: "After you were shot, who had found you and made sure you've gotten quick medical attention? Good samaritans are quite rare in this town like 40 year old virgins. I bet they wanted something in return besides money. People usually do. A favor perhaps? Information? Exchange of anonymous e-mail addresses? Did he, she or even they come here to see or proselytize you afterwards? You don't have to answer me if you don't want to nor am i going to press the issue further. I'll find out sooner or later."
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

He shakes his head as he sits down. " No one wanted anything from me. Whomever helped me, they probably did so out of kindness. That still exists, you know? That was more help than what I got from the police, no offense. All I got was a quick visit from some uniformed officers who asked me the standard questions. Nothing more. And I get it, you know? With all that's going on, you have a lot on your hands. And now, suddenly, despite that, you are interested in me again. Something is going on. And it's obvious you are not here out of sympathy. You...don't seem to like the rest of us much. Or...anyone, for that matter."
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

Helen leaned against a wall with her arms folded while she regarded Jun.

"No, I don't like sunstormers even though i am one. Seeing two people burned alive by one of us over a month ago while everyone of these so called 'nice and kind' people stood by at a safe distance and took selfies to sell online to TMZ or worse condone the homicidal bastard's actions tends to do that.

There were a couple of other sunstormers on the scene just standing around twiddling their thumbs. Oh no, they didn't try to prevent the tragedy instead they preached about police brutality against pyromaniacs then ran off with their tails between their legs. Me? I was useless because at the time my own power was not active if it were, then 'poor' Harold would be lifted a thousand feet above the ground and dropped at terminal velocity by yours truly.

Yeah, i blame myself for what happened at Federal Plaza because none of the other spineless freaks who was present will ever claim responsibility. They like to take credit but not the blame. F@$!ing hypocrites.

So yes, i don't like sunstormers all that much but at least I'm honest about my feelings. To myself and to you.

I don't have to like you but i do have to protect you even at the risk of my own life and maybe die in the line of duty no matter if you're a sunstormer or not."
Last edited by Shadowmask on Thu May 25, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

" I'm sorry you feel that way. I...I was there. But my own powers...they were still new to me and I didn't think...lightning bolts would have helped anyone." He shrugs. " I never wanted to have superpowers. I got my degree, had some decent job proposals, my parents are proud of me...", he says, sighing. " But now the powers are here and people think I'm a danger." He pauses, then fixes his gaze on Helen.
" Have you ever seen this 'Nemesis' person? I heard some of us see her and she talks to them. Harold, too...is it true he was goaded by her into burning these people? I mean, it doesn't excuse it, anyone should be able to tell right from wrong. But maybe someone wants all this unrest to happen."
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

Helen frowned at this revelation.

"Nemesis? Never heard of her. Could be an alias for Khemis or even Nibiru... Have you ever met Khemis? Then do yourself a favor and don't. Avoid her at all costs. I'll bet she's somehow responsible. As for causing unreast between sunstormers and the normies, it does seem rather far fetched, don't you think? This Nemesis does not even need to use her powers at all, the nature of humanity and the current actions of the U.S. Government is doing the dirty work for her. Has Nemesis contacted you?"
Last edited by Shadowmask on Thu May 25, 2023 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.