[MM3]Sunstormers IC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: [MM3]Sunstormers IC

Post by jmucchiello »

OOC: Deborah has no special senses (yet) but she has +10 Perception.
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Sunny gave Khemis a strange look. Her apparent annoyance (or was that actual anger?) with him was unexpected and felt a little disproportionate to what he'd said, and her argument was perplexing to Sunny. It took him a moment to figure out how to answer that, because it seemed that she had gravely misunderstood something. "...But I am a discount Superman. If that's the easiest way for you to understand what my abilities are, sure, you can think of me as a discount Superman. Just don't expect me to carry a cruise-liner or shoot lasers out of my eyes - I've tried, didn't work. But it's still a decent analogy to make so these powers easier to grasp in my head. Also, you do realize that 'Peter Kent' is a name I made up, right? I just mashed together Peter Parker and Clark Kent, the secret identities for two popular, fictional characters from comics..."

Honestly, Sunny had thought the alias was painfully obvious and very tongue-in-cheek. 'Peter Kent'? From a guy who had a Flying Brick power-set? The 'Kent' was an obvious nod to Superman's alter-ego, and 'Peter' was a nod the most famous Marvel hero: Spider-Man. Had... had she taken him seriously? Sunny couldn't tell - people often confused him with how they took things other people said. Maybe she was just one of those people who never paid any attention to superheroes before the Sunstorm and had absolutely no clue the alias he'd given her days ago was based around a joke?

"Oh, and Charger," he turned to the younger girl (also a red-head like Deborah? Looked that way). "Have you noticed that when you fly, the air around you stills? The kinetic energy of the air seems absorbed to generate a force-vector that counters the force of gravity on your body. But moving around in that stilled air should result in increased pressure on your body, and at supersonic speeds, the wind shear and friction heat would most certainly kill a normal person. So you're either super-tough like I am, or are likely generating some kind of forcefield to protect yourself from the effects of your own flight. That, or you're subconsciously warping kinetic energy and movement-vectors of air particles to reduce wind shear, but I'm personally guessing force-field. Does that sound accurate to what you can feel when you're flying?"

OOC: Sunny can see almost all of the electromagnetic spectrum (and can identify the energies of the Sunstorm), can hear super-high/low frequencies, and has Extended Audio/Visual 2. His Perception skill is +5. For the sake of expediency for Neo-Paladin, I checked Vickie's char-sheet and she's got Direction Sense, and Rapid + Extended 1 Visual. Her Perception is also +5.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"You can think of yourself as a discount whatever if you wish of course, but I do not, and do not wish to be thought of as such, thank you," Khemis tells him firmly.

"And yes, of course I realised Peter Kent is not your real name. If nothing else I was assuming you weren't outing yourself to me the first time we met, on that rooftop. And of course all the Peter Kent's on the internet look nothing like you. Let alone the comic book thing. But we don't have any other name to refer to you by, and it beats 'oi you' or 'flying guy' by a fairly large margin!"
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Vickie Pulaski (Charger)

"That actually makes a lot of sense," vickie replied, after thinking over what Sunny had said. "I can feel the air, the energy wrapping around me, even if I can't see it. And I know the effect get stronger when I'm really moving- but a bird strike is still pretty upsetting. Gives you even more respect for Sully..."

>OOC: As noted; Perception +5, Direction sense, Vision (Rapid 1, extended 1). Man we are totally gonna get surprised, aren't we? ;)

>OOC2 (for Sunny): In terms of looks, unless Sunny has x-ray ision or something, the only portion of Vickie which is not covered by her scratch-built "costume" is 2" by 4" (approximately) strip around her eyes- maybe he can see her eyebrows which are reddish-blond, a small swath of golden-brown skin, brown eyes. Basic image under there is Gugu Mbatha-Raw, a little younger with lighter hair (thanks Dad)
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Sunny can hear a scream from a few blocks away, followed by a loud crash...and then the sound of a gunshot...
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

'What he said makes me angry and defensive', ponders Khemis. 'Why? Because he's making what has happened to all of us - to me - meaningless. Just a comic book come to life. Random. But there is more to it than that. Allah has chosen us for this, for His own reasons. This is His will. I prayed for guidance, prayed so hard, and I know it.'

'If Allah did not make me like this then I've just drawn the short straw. I'm just a freak. So He had to have done. This has meaning. I have a God-given mission to use these powers as He intended. For good. And if I can do more good as a freak than as the person I was before, then how can I argue with that?'
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

"Yeah, I've done my best to avoid flying around birds as well. A menace, really, seeing as they keep flying up in groups at the first sight of me hurtling through the air." Sunny nodded at Charger. "But anyways, I'd recommend experimenting with your forcefield a bit more, see if you can do other things with the energy you absorb and manipulate using that forcefield your powers generate in the process. Might be some cool applications to your power besides flying arou--"

He paused mid-word, brow furrowing and head cocked to the side. Did he hear that right? Sunny could hear a scream... a crash. Then...

Gunshot.

Shit. Sunny's eyes widened. Damn it, he had to go.

His gaze darted between the others quickly. 'Charger' could keep up with him (maybe?), but Deborah and Khemis... probably not? Deborah mentioned she could fly, and Khemis had some amount of super-strength so she could probably move quick, but fast enough to matter when a gun had been fired? Sunny could be there in the blink of an eye if he hoofed it this second... but he was also in the presence of other super-people, and who knew if they would answer this call to action? He didn't blame them if they didn't take up that call, but the matter was now critically urgent and Sunny would just have to take their snap-judgement calls as answer enough... He hoped however was in trouble could spare 5 seconds...

He turned Deborah and Khemis, doing his best to convey his utter sincerity and seriousness in his voice (considering how his facial features were generally concealed), and the urgency in his body-language. "I have to go. Gunshot a couple blocks from here. You have three seconds to nod your head if you're coming with," Sunny glanced at Charger. "Fly after me if you can keep up."

"Yes or no. Answer me now." Sunny said, tugging at that non-existent feeling deep within him as his body primed for rapid movement and acceleration, mind racing as he tried to think of what the hell he was going to do. Two seconds now...
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"I cannot keep up with you and my range on my other abilities is limited. So if you must go, go," Deborah says.
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

jmucchiello wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:27 am "I cannot keep up with you and my range on my other abilities is limited. So if you must go, go," Deborah says.
Sunny's face snapped to Deborah's like a whip, eyes boring into hers, his words curt, sharp and just a bit exasperated. "I'm asking if I should carry you there or not. Yes or no?"
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Khemis gives him a firm nod, her expression serious. "I'll take a lift, thanks," she says rapidly.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Vickie Pulaski (Charger)

"Fly after you... AFTER you... Oh, my dude," Vickie obviously hadn't heard the shot itself, but as soon as Sunny reacted she was moving, already in the air. "Only because you know where- and because I'm not going to break the sound barrier in the middle of downtown. Just point- which way?" She didn't seem worried- if you worried every time you heard a gunshot in Chicago, you would have little time to do anything else, or so her roommate had told her. And well, whatever WAS happening, she was going to take a look- she wasn't going to just charge in.

Right?

As soon as she had a direction, she was moving- rising to a hundred feet or so, well beyond the glow of any streetlights that might or might not be on; at that height, at night, she would be all but invisible (the sad truth of cities was that almost no one thought to look UP).

>OOC: Once Sunny points, or starts moving, she will move to 100 feet up and head in that direction; Flight 5 and double move, so 1700 feet (1/4 mile or so; about 60 MPH)
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"Sure, just don't be surprised if you have to waste time putting me down somewhere," Deborah says.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

With superhuman speed, it is not that difficult to reach the spot from which the gunshot originated. There, in a backyard, is a crumpled human form, a small pool of blood forming underneath them. No sign of a shooter....
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Deborah covered up her face with her scarf as they fly to the yard. "Anyone know first aid?" Deborah says as she dives into the mind of the person assuming they are alive, hoping to catch a glimpse of the person who may have done this. (DC 17 Will to resist the mind reading.) "Someone call 911 and let's try not to leave too much evidence that we were here. Also, look around anyone lurking in the windows nearby?"
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"I don't know first aid, unfortunately," replies Khemis.

But she has a good look at the surrounding area as suggested...

OOC: Routine Perception check of 18, and Darkvision so lurking in the darkness isn't going to help anyone there.