[MM3]Sunstormers IC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Tony Jones

Re: [MM3]Sunstormers IC

Post by Tony Jones »

*Then I will see you at perhaps 2:30,* texts back Khemis, in a moment between distributing supplies.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

The athmosphere today is different, Khemis quickly notices. It appears as if people only now realized how many of them are gathered in a relatively small area and that this makes them rather vulnerable. There are a lot of wary glances around and the events of yesterday are still one of the main topics among those gathered for food and warmth.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Khemis observes all of this rather sadly, but cannot blame people for their entirely justified response to the hideous events of yesterday.

She moves about the plaza helping to distribute relief supplies calmly and politely, showing that she is there, but doing her best to avoid making the situation any worse...
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

As she stands there, she hears someone whisper in her ear.
Can you see the fear in their eyes? They're scared. There are monsters among them now. Like you.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Khemis just rolls her eyes and glances to that side, fully expecting to see the woman of darkness there...

But regardless, she waves to one of the other volunteers. "Just taking a minute!" she tells them and steps away to a quiet area where she is unlikely to be overheard.

"So, tell me, why should I listen to a word you say?" she says quietly, to the woman if she is there, or the empty air if she is not. "And of course they are scared. But monsters? No. Just people."
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Sunny continues to listen in on the officer's conversation and on the goings-on in Albert's room while he thinks about Deborah's reply. She has a point - Albert is an unknown to the public at large, and few would likely realize all the facts beyond the police and the others who were there that night. But the idea of "discrimination against Sunstormers" being treated the same as "discrimination against race/religion/gender/orientation/etc"... that still had merit, didn't it?

He texts a response:
>>"Then don't talk about Albert. Talk about Sunstormers in general. Social justice is a cause people have championed for a while now."
>>"Outcry against discrimination by gender, race, religion, etc - it's already there. Is it possible to draw the parallels and embed that into the public consciousness - that the same justice should exist for Sunstormers too?"
>>"You have an interview with Khemis, right? Maybe we can use that as a vehicle to start a public conversation?"
>>"To win hearts and minds."
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

When Khemis looks, she sees nothing but she can feel a presence hovering around her.
People? Do you really think you are still like them? Look into a mirror. You are Other now. And soon, they will realize that.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"My body may have changed, but my soul is still as it was, fully human," Khemis tells the voice.

"But tell me. Who are you? Just calling you the 'darkness woman' is not really sufficient."

"Have you also been physically changed by the Sunstorm? And treated badly because of it? Is that why you are trying to stir up trouble when there is already more than enough in the world to go around? Revenge?"
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Vickie Pulaski (Charger)

Vickie was dressed and downstairs a few minutes before the shuttle arrived. Today, counting herself, there were only about a half-dozen UChicago students waiting for the downtown plaza shift, though Vickie had talked to a few others who were working on campus or local neighborhood "community service" assignments as well- places with less visibility, less exposure...

There were three guys in hoodies decorated with the logo of Phi Gamma Delta, the fraternity of choice for football players- they were being loud and crass among one another, and it was obvious that they were going to show that they weren't afraid... Vickie suppressed a snort of laughter, pretending to check something on her phone. Another young woman, someone Vickie had seen at the plaza a few times before but didn't really know- she was a hardcore Charity Christian; not an evangelical proselytizer, but someone who really truly wanted to Help (capital H and all). While Vickie didn't agree with the religion, she admired the "walk the walk" dedication and gave the girl a nod of recognition.

And just as the bus was pulling in, another girl came running over from the dorm entrance- at first glance she was tiny young Asian woman with huge wide eyes, even bigger glasses, and a gigantic puffy down coat. But as Vickie watched her approach, she could tell that the girl moved well, and a closer glance showed she was certainly short, but had the fireplug build typical of an experienced gymnast. The frat boys all turned to look at her, albeit briefly, before returning to their shenanigans- the young woman didn't notice.

As they all piled into the shuttle, Vickie found herself across the aisle from the girl, who almost immediately turned to her. "Have you done this before?," she asked quietly. Vickie just nodded. "I was there yesterday- almost didn't want to go back. But I can't just hide here on campus either. I mean, I saw some of it, but I wasn't close, I wasn't 'In Danger', not really. So here I am again..."

The girl nodded in return. "Yeah, after what happened yesterday, I had to go. I mean, I want a chance to see some of this stuff for real, not just on the news. I mean, not like the people being burned alive, but the other people, these "Sunstormers"..." Her voice was quiet enough, but excited, nearly breathless, and Vickie had to suppress a bit of a shudder.

"I mean really, just the stuff I've seen so far," the girl continued. "I've been watching the news, prowling around online as much as I can- just this sudden eruption, all over the world..."

One of the frat boys had obviously overheard at least some of what she was saying, and he leaned out int the aisle from three rows back. "Come on, it is in the vaccines- you didn't know that?"

Both Vickie and the other girl shot him nearly matching glares before the girl started speaking again. "It isn't in the vaccines, I mean, obviously right? But I'm pre-med, and well, I'm kind of a biology nerd, right. So it might be an evolutionary surge of some kind, in reaction to something we don't know about, don't fully understand... So I want to see it, up close..."

Vickie leaned back in her seat, just letting the girl talk- she kept it up throughout the entire shuttle ride. Somewhere in there she introduced herself as Emily Park, but most of the scientific theory and jargon she was reeling off passed right over Vickie's head- she knew numbers, but not so much biology...

When the shuttle finally arrived, the frat boys pushed their way out first but slowed noticeably when they saw the organizers waiting-- they obviously hadn't intended to actually do much WORK. With Emily in tow, Vickie headed for the assignment table. While they waited in line, she scanned the crowd- smaller than yesterday, and more clustered, but still plenty of people whose needs for food, heat, or socialization made the plaza woth the potential risk.

Sure enough, she spotted Khemis (and successfully resisted an urge to wave to her), but none of the others- not too much of a surprise, really. She did tap Emily on the shoulder and pointed to Khemis. "Is that the sort of thing you came down here to see? She is here just about every day..."
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Emily nods, trying very hard not to stare - and failing. " Most stuff I've seen online showed just...people. I heard about some Sunstormers changing...physically, but this...how does she live like this?"

------
Oh, please, the woman says, laughing softly, nothing so prosaic. I am way beyond your petty concerns.
And as for my name, let me quote Al Pacino...'Oh, I have so many names'. But feel free to call me...Nemesis.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"Then what are your intentions, if they are loftier than revenge? Why are you doing what you are doing?" Khemis asks. "World domination? Crushing the unpowered people under your booted heel? That kind of thing?"
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

(OOC: Old Sam: https://www.echoesofthemultiverse.com/v ... php?t=2078)

Paladino finally arrived at the Plaza. She really didn't want to be here in the first place and babysitting these spoiled dolts who only want (or at least make a pretense) to do good deeds as long they are happening to be doing said tasks right in front of the podcasters. But orders were orders and despite being a witness to the psychopathic killer, Harold's murderous rampage, the brass didn't really much care about Helen's personal feelings on this matter especially after she handed them her typewritten report.

She was sent here and that was it. Her partner took the car toward where the other police vehicles were stationed. She adjusted her mask and took her place near the radiators.

The air was thick with tension and Helen can almost see the fear on the faces of some of the people, even those with masks on.

Who can honestly blame them? The possibility of yet another attack by a sunstormer was very real. She had to be prepared for that situation just in case.

An elderly transient rushed past her, carrying a box of food that judging by the stamped label, was leftover food of which the local restaurants often threw out with the rest of the trash. Of course it was earmarked as "donations".

As usual, the City of Chicago shows off it's endless generosity toward the poor.

She recognized the man even as her nose wrinkled in disgust from the reeking stench he was giving off.

"Hey, Sam." She said to him in a terse tone. "Ask these rich people to loan you the use of their showers or something."

The panhandler named Old Sam looked down on the ground and mumbled out a response.

"They don't care despite their pretty high and mighty speeches, Officer. Asamatta o'fact one guy gave me five dollars to leave and not to beg fer spare change around here."

"Care to point the scumbag out for me or at the very least give me a description, Sam? Oh what am i saying? Of course you won't. Fine whatever. Shoo, fly, shoo."

Old Sam nodded as he quickly left the area, still not looking up.

Helen shrugged her shoulders and resumed her watch.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Why do you think I would want to rule over you? No...I am trying to help you. After all...a mother ought to take care of her children.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"So... Are you claiming you are the one who gave Sunstormers their powers? Gave me this form?" asks Khemis. "Going to need to see some solid proof for that one, lady!" she says sceptically.

"And even if that were so, what kind of help are you offering? And what would be its price?"
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

As the conversation continues, Khemis pulls out her phone and holds it up to her ear as if she was having a conversation rather than talking to the air like a mad person...
Last edited by Tony Jones on Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.