[MM3]Sunstormers IC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
pathfinderq1

Re: [MM3]Sunstormers IC

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Vickie Pulaski (Charger)

The rest of the day was kind of a blur- a productive one, but not very restful.

The walk had mostly cleared her head, but some of the images from the plaza were going to linger- and she was going to have to deal with them. The walk had pushed them back for now, and Vickie could throw herself into other things for now. By the time she was back in the dorm, she was exchanging texts with her roommate- Rashida's family drama was no nearer to wrapping itself up, and she didn't expect to be back in the room tonight; Vickie was glad she hadn't decided to just "Drop in" when she had had a chance...

Most of the other students were keeping to their rooms- between the lingering threat of COVID and the post-Sunstorm upheaval. There were a few students in the lounge, but nobody Vickie knew all that well. She bounced up the stairs to her room and buried herself in some "studying". There was some surfing on the web, both news and social media, to the limits of power and web traffic- but Vickie had had enough "real life" for the day, that was for sure. She spent a bit of time cracking through the physics textbook she had borrowed when her powers first started to manifest- this kind of hard science wasn't really her jam, but she was smart enough to grok it (well, mostly). There were a few emails fired off into the ether- to her parents, to some of her other friends from both high school and UChicago, but the uncertainty of the internet coverage did not make her impatient for any kind of response.

The rest of the evening, with a short break to grab some dinner from the dorm's cafeteria, was spent mainlining origin stories- mostly movies, but some webcomics and so on. It was clearer than ever that that was what was going on here- a world-wide mass origin story. Vickie had read or watched enough of these over the years, but they took on a bit more weight now. She had learned a long time ago that the best way to live your life was to have a plan- and as much as this was a very unexpected turn, she had better get started on planning how to deal with it.

Because this afternoon had shown her that she was going to have to accept this, to deal with it. With great power, and all that.

In truth, she sort of lost herself in the process, lost track of the time- until her alarm went off. 945 already- she had been planning on the alarm being her signal to make an approach to the fountain. But now she didn't have time for that kind of soft approach, that sort of subtlety. She rushed through a quick change of clothes, mostly a warm base layer under the same "Definitely NOT a costume" that she had worn earlier- boots, heavy tights, Captain Marvel sweater, gloves, balaclava covering her hair and face. She pulled a heavier outdoor coat over the lot and rushed downstairs and out of the dorm.

As soon as she was out into the darkness offered by the gaps in the current campus power grid, she was in the air, rising quickly to the flat roof of one of the other nearby buildings- that was where she stored her phone and her outer coat, bundled into a ball and hidden from any kind of easy access.

Then she was flying, northbound and at speed- she wrapped a cloak of air around her as she flew. In well under a minute she had covered the ground that had taken her more than an hour to walk.She pulled into a barrel roll and headed out over the lake for another minute or so- as much as the idea of just cutting loose and skipping the meeting called to her she focused and turned, approaching from the east. Her first pass was probably a thousand feet up, and she slowed as she moved over the park, vectoring in on the fountain. There were a few tiny tiny people down there, all right- too far down to tell if they were the ones she expected to meet. Well, if they weren't, they were about to get a surprise...

She took a moment, hovering very nearly motionless, choosing her spot- near enough to the planned meeting spot, not so close as to be an immediate threat to those in the landing zone.

And then she dropped, a few sickening seconds of free-fall until she twisted the energy of the fall into a cushion beneath her, slowing her into a perfectly-controlled not-quite landing (since she stopped about six feet off the ground), If there had been any snow on the plaza, it would have puffed away like a bomb-burst, but the area around the fountain had been mostly cleared.

Now just above the ground, she looked around at the other people who had already arrived. She knew two of them from earlier (Khemis and Sunny), and she recognized Deborah (really, who wouldn't?). Behind the concealment of her balaclava, she smiled. "Sorry I'm late. There was traffic..."
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

Was it just Sunny, or did the other two Sunstormers who just showed up not understand how to show up to a meeting like regular people?

It boggled the mind a little to think the difference a week had made. Well, the three days before that were one thing, but it had only been around a week since he woke up a (literally) changed-man and had superpowers. He imagined that these others had been in the same situation... only the woman with pitch-black skin and strange movements decided to just ooze out of the darkness like a shadow, as if trying to cause a jump-scare or imitate a horror-movie monster. And the other one? Girl decides that the best way to show up is to literally drop from the sky!

...Sunny just walked over to this meeting. Not even at super-speed, just a regular walk at normal speeds. Nor was he being particularly subtle about trying to avoid being seen - Sunny just didn't care because he figured that if he looked like a normal person meeting a woman by a city landmark in a Park, any idle watcher wouldn't think it out of the ordinary. Well, after the way these two showed up, perhaps he shouldn't have bothered?

"Evening to you both as well," Sunny greeted the new arrivals, bemused at the flamboyance of the two. He turned back to the first woman to arrive, asking, "Are we waiting on anyone else? The cranky policewoman, perhaps?"
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"I didn't invite her," Deborah says. "I was afraid she'd arrest me for assault if I spoke directly into her mind. I wonder how many more stormers there are like her in denial. She is probably the same kind of powder keg Harold was. The only reason it was her in the square perhaps was because her powers aren't as... incendiary."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

jmucchiello wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:38 pm "Hello. How did it go for you at the police station? I hope the officers there were less... abrasive," Deborah says.
"It went ... about as well as I expected," replies Khemis. "Not as bad as I had feared it might. No one else was as ... abrasive ... as Officer Palladino, no. Fortunately!"

"I think I must have been there longer than you. I was able to spend some time with a police sketch artist to improve that picture I showed you of the woman at the Plaza only I seemed to be able to see, who maybe provoked Harold. She's not in their system whoever she is. But I do have some evidence others have seen her too. And I've put it out on my socials in case anyone else has seen her, or can identify her, so I guess we'll see..."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

jmucchiello wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:46 am "I didn't invite her," Deborah says. "I was afraid she'd arrest me for assault if I spoke directly into her mind. I wonder how many more stormers there are like her in denial. She is probably the same kind of powder keg Harold was. The only reason it was her in the square perhaps was because her powers aren't as... incendiary."
"It is a shame she is so ... abrasive," comments Khemis seriously. "She might have some insights from an official perspective that we don't. But I really think it's more important she chill out. Maybe get some therapy. For her own good, and everyone else's."

"And I would hope some of the CPD officers we met today might be willing to talk to us if needed to..."

"But, sorry, I'm being rude," she says turning to the others.

"Hello again, 'Mr Kent'," she nods to Sunny, the quote marks once again almost audible in her words.

She steps over towards Vickie and holds out her hand.

"Hi, I'm Khemis. I didn't catch your name - superhero name, whatever! - at the Plaza earlier?"

[OOC: Khemis' movements - how she walks etc. - are the same as a normal person; the only oddity is that when she appeared out of the darkness, she literally appeared, with no cover or anything she could have appeared from behind...]
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Vickie Pulaski (Charger)

COVID-courtesies were still drilled into everyone around UChicago- Vickie slid forward in the air towards Khemis's extended hand, but pulled back at the last moment, offering a fist-bump instead, then drifted back to a safer distance. "You can call me 'Charger' for now- not really ready to go all in with people I don't even hardly know..."

Rashida and her friends and teammates at UChicago mostly called her 'Vex', but she had been 'Charger' all through high school, from the name of the running club that had gotten her started, so it felt familiar enough. "I've seen you around, doing the good work," she said to khemis, before turning to Sunny. "And I think maybe I've seen you out in the air, even before that clusterf... today."

The she turned to Deborah. "But you I don't know... Are you Jean- I mean, are you the telepath? 'Cause I gotta tell you, that is creepy as heck, even reading about it in the comics for years- really hearing that voice in your head is not a good trip..."
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

"Well, then I suppose we're not waiting on anyone else," Sunny reasoned, before nodding at Khemis and Charger. "And good to meet everyone a bit more formally, I suppose. Hello to you both - Khemis, Charger."

He glanced at the only blonde among them, only identifiable as such by the strands which escaped her knit cap. "Don't believe I've caught your name, actually." Sunny shrugged. "But I can't really judge, can I? It's not like I've come up with a cape-name yet to go with the whole secret-identity thing."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"Yes, I'm the telepath," Deborah says. "And believe me, being able to hear the voices in people's heads is far more creepy. People usually edit what they say. And it's only been the last few days for me. My name is Deborah. And I have a decent level of Internet fame. I'd really like to keep that world separate from this one. But I know that might not be possible.

"In any case, it's good to know there are other Sunstormers with some level of conscience. I fear too many will turn to crime just because they can. Today's event may have been influenced by someone with powers like mine but I expect we will start to see people using their powers for greed or for the power trip and it might be up to people like us to stop them. I'm not suggesting anything formal. And truth be told I wasn't sure what I was going to say tonight when I invited you to meet here. But we should have each other's backs. Maybe find a way to stay in touch, and still respect one another's privacy.

"Or maybe I've seen too many superhero movies. I don't know."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:31 am Vickie Pulaski (Charger)

COVID-courtesies were still drilled into everyone around UChicago- Vickie slid forward in the air towards Khemis's extended hand, but pulled back at the last moment, offering a fist-bump instead, then drifted back to a safer distance. "You can call me 'Charger' for now- not really ready to go all in with people I don't even hardly know..."
Khemis quickly turns the potential handshake into the other half of a fist bump with Charger. "Totally with you on not giving out real names at this early stage! As I'm sure you've guessed, Khemis is not the name my parents gave me either..."
kenmadragon wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:46 am He glanced at the only blonde among them, only identifiable as such by the strands which escaped her knit cap. "Don't believe I've caught your name, actually." Sunny shrugged. "But I can't really judge, can I? It's not like I've come up with a cape-name yet to go with the whole secret-identity thing."
"You probably should," comments Khemis. "Otherwise some journalist or internet pundit will give you a name instead, and it can be hard to get rid of something like that if it sticks!"
jmucchiello wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:12 am "In any case, it's good to know there are other Sunstormers with some level of conscience. I fear too many will turn to crime just because they can. Today's event may have been influenced by someone with powers like mine but I expect we will start to see people using their powers for greed or for the power trip and it might be up to people like us to stop them. I'm not suggesting anything formal. And truth be told I wasn't sure what I was going to say tonight when I invited you to meet here. But we should have each other's backs. Maybe find a way to stay in touch, and still respect one another's privacy.

"Or maybe I've seen too many superhero movies. I don't know."
"Helping stop criminal Sunstormers and crime in general sounds like a good idea to me," says Khemis.

"And having a way for us to keep in touch sounds like a good idea to me," replies Khemis. "Maybe some kind of secure message app? Whatsapp group? And though a burner phone not your normal one."

"And on a related note, do either of you recognise this woman?" she says, fiddling with her phone for a second then holding it out to Charger and 'Mr Kent' with the sketch of the mystery woman on the screen. "This is who only I seemed to be able to see at the Plaza earlier, thanks to a police sketch artist."

"If she is involved with what happened earlier then whatever is going on might be much more widespread than just here. She is not in the police's system. But after the picture was finished I was contacted by someone who said someone they knew - who had the three day coma but not yet exhibited any Sunstormer powers - was hallucinating a woman like this. In Atlanta!"

"I've posted the picture on some Sunstormer support groups on social media to try and get an idea of how many people may have seen this woman, and where, but that was just before I came here, so I haven't had any replies yet."
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Vickie Pulaski (Charger)

Vickie looked at the picture Khemis showed them but the woman didn't look familiar- but well, someone that only certain people could see, that was all kinds of creepy. Did it mean that whoever saw her was perhaps her next target, if she HAD influenced Harold?

"So, what, are we going do be all Justice League of Chicago? Great Lakes Avengers, part 2?," she laughed lightly, to show she wasn't being entirely scornful. "I mean, I'm not against using these powers, whatever they are, however they happened, for the greater good, but I'm not going to just jump right into this. You're right," she said to Deborah, "Some people are going to use their new abilities for crime because they can. And some are going to do it because they feel they have to, or because it is fun and they aren't thinking as far as whether it is a crime. And some people in China, in Russia, in Saudi Arabia or North Korea or right here in the good old USA are going to use these powers because some shady government tool tells them that they HAVE to. And some people are going to use them to go out and do some good- I'd like to be one of those people, I really would..."

"BUT... I'm not even entirely certain what I can do, and how I can use it best, to help people out. I don't have any training in peacekeeping, or legal theory, or police procedure- even basic use-of-force or deescalation techniques. If I go out on the streets and use my powers to "Fight crime" (Making the air quotes with her fingers), well maybe I get lucky and I'm right, and maybe I get unlucky and I'm no better than gorram George Zimmerman. And maybe worse, I get really unlucky- I mean this IS Chicago, and I'm pretty sure that I'm NOT actually bulletproof." She paused, looked down at the ground and sighed.

"I mean, I don't think I'm ready. I spent a lot of today starting to get ready, starting to make a plan. I haven't even told my par... my people yet " She shook her head, then turned to Khemis. "And Sunstormer support groups? Really? Who has had enough reliable internet to put that together already? And, just like those Oathkeeper Telegram channels, you've got to know half the people on there are Feds, building files on everyone who is posting? Not ready to stick my finger in that particular light socket either..."

>OOC: There was a lot to respond to there, hopefully not too disjointed
kenmadragon

Post by kenmadragon »

"Every cape-name I come up with either sounds ridiculous or feels super-derivative... I'm open to suggestions...?" Sunny muttered quietly at Khemis' comment. Even so, he knew she was speaking the truth: either he got ahead of the public and gave himself a name first, or they'd saddle him with one. Not everyone was lucky enough to be Clark Kent and have Lois Lane give him his appellation as "Superman"...

"Also, no, I don't recognize the woman. I don't think so, at least. The only other Sunstormers I saw in the crowd earlier today who aren't here now are a skittish man, likely with a glandular problem, and the abrasive Miss Palandino." Sunny spoke up. Though, now that he thought about it, perhaps he had dismissed the sweaty guy too quickly. His understanding of investigative procedure was amateurishly academic, at best, but Sunny didn't believe he had had any real reason to follow the guy ebyond the fact that he had the same look about him that Sunstormers did when looked at in certain energy spectrums. It was also perfectly possible he was just another Sunstormer who was in denial about his abilities (like the policewoman earlier) or who had no inclination towards heroism.

Still, the others did raise some good points about working together, keeping in touch and the perils of vigilantism. "Like it or not, the world is changed. The old world order was barely functional enough when people were just people. Now that a bunch of random people around the world have suddenly gained superpowers, the instability is only going to get worse. I don't know about you lot, but I don't have much faith in the current system to adequately handle the fallout of the Sunstorm - not just in the ruined infrastructure, but especially in terms of people like us. The one thing I know for certain is that the people currently in power, no matter what their politics or personal beliefs, will not likely have our best interests at heart - especially since we're a threat to the existing status quo simply by existing as superhuman beings."

Sunny sighed. "I think that the best thing we can do is stay in contact. It's only been a week since we all woke up from that coma, and we're all pretty new to our powers. Whether we engage in vigilantism or whatever, I think it would be good idea if we were able to keep in contact... like a support-system for super-people.

"Both Deborah and Charger have the right idea - none of us are trained for this, but given how chaotic the world has gotten lately, trouble is going to find us. Sure, I'm probably the only one among us four who's actually bulletproof - don't ask how I figured that out- but we're the also ones with the power to do something about it. We need to figure out how to do good, keep in contact and keep each other safe...

"So, yeah. Maybe we'll be the Great Lakes Avengers, part 2 - the Electric Boogaloo. Even if it's only so we have a support system in place for each other to work together and support each other... But existing communications infrastructure is too unreliable for secure communications to keep our private lives safe from anyone who wants to abuse our gifts. Federal governments can lie about having the proper warrants needed to gain access to telecomm networks and expand existing monitoring infrastructure to search for people like us. Anonymity is preferable, but there's no such thing as perfect anonymity on the internet nor even when using burner phones..."
OOC wrote:Remembering a Face?: 1D20+2+5 = [9]+2+5 = 16 For if Sunny actually did recognize the face (doubt he'd have seen it before, but rolled anyways). If Sunny would never have even had the chance to see the face before and this roll would have been unnecessary, maybe use it to see if Sunny can remember a safe way to communicate anonymously, free of online hackers, cyber-spies or federal wire-tappers on existing telecom networks?
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Oh boy...communicating with absolute safety is, sadly, an illusion. The Dark Web is as damaged as the rest of the internet and half of the people on there are cops anyway...same goes for the rest.
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

(OOC: Also it wouldn't make any sense. Why should private citizens have access to such technology (even if it did exist. Thankfully no, otherwise terrorists and other criminals will have a field day.) while the American government including Homeland Security does not?)
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:03 am "BUT... I'm not even entirely certain what I can do, and how I can use it best, to help people out. I don't have any training in peacekeeping, or legal theory, or police procedure- even basic use-of-force or deescalation techniques. If I go out on the streets and use my powers to "Fight crime" (Making the air quotes with her fingers), well maybe I get lucky and I'm right, and maybe I get unlucky and I'm no better than gorram George Zimmerman. And maybe worse, I get really unlucky- I mean this IS Chicago, and I'm pretty sure that I'm NOT actually bulletproof." She paused, looked down at the ground and sighed.
"It is a problem," nods Khemis. "I've had a flick through the relevant laws and it's very complicated. That's why I just grabbed Harold earlier and called it a citizen's arrest. Much more than that and I'd have been moving into maybe having to justify using excessive force and all that kind of thing..."
pathfinderq1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:03 am "I mean, I don't think I'm ready. I spent a lot of today starting to get ready, starting to make a plan. I haven't even told my par... my people yet " She shook her head, then turned to Khemis. "And Sunstormer support groups? Really? Who has had enough reliable internet to put that together already? And, just like those Oathkeeper Telegram channels, you've got to know half the people on there are Feds, building files on everyone who is posting? Not ready to stick my finger in that particular light socket either..."
"Oh no, they exist. Not many of them, and given the state of the internet right now, they're not great, but they're improving as the internet gets better. I helped with a couple of them. There are all kinds of new groups since the Sunstorm. Some are people looking for other people who they lost in the Sunstorm. All too many are crazy conspiracy theories of one kind or another, too, sadly. But even if the authorities are listening, there are people out there who need help. And this is a way to do it. Even if it's imperfect."

"But also, burner phones. Again not perfect, but better than nothing..."

------
kenmadragon wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:08 am "Every cape-name I come up with either sounds ridiculous or feels super-derivative... I'm open to suggestions...?" Sunny muttered quietly at Khemis' comment. Even so, he knew she was speaking the truth: either he got ahead of the public and gave himself a name first, or they'd saddle him with one. Not everyone was lucky enough to be Clark Kent and have Lois Lane give him his appellation as "Superman"...
"How about 'Stalwart'? Or 'Intrepid'?" suggests Khemis with a hard-to-see smile. "Or even 'Mr Stalwart' or 'Mr Intrepid'?"
kenmadragon wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:08 am Still, the others did raise some good points about working together, keeping in touch and the perils of vigilantism. "Like it or not, the world is changed. The old world order was barely functional enough when people were just people. Now that a bunch of random people around the world have suddenly gained superpowers, the instability is only going to get worse. I don't know about you lot, but I don't have much faith in the current system to adequately handle the fallout of the Sunstorm - not just in the ruined infrastructure, but especially in terms of people like us. The one thing I know for certain is that the people currently in power, no matter what their politics or personal beliefs, will not likely have our best interests at heart - especially since we're a threat to the existing status quo simply by existing as superhuman beings."
Khemis nods in agreement. "I think the reactions of the police are exactly that kind of thing. They don't have a monopoly on force any more and it scares them. As maybe it should. And it should probably scare us too... But it is not likely to lead to completely rational responses, especially after a few more incidents like Harold today..."
kenmadragon wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:08 am Sunny sighed. "I think that the best thing we can do is stay in contact. It's only been a week since we all woke up from that coma, and we're all pretty new to our powers. Whether we engage in vigilantism or whatever, I think it would be good idea if we were able to keep in contact... like a support-system for super-people.
Khemis nods in firm agreement with this suggestion.
kenmadragon wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:08 am "Both Deborah and Charger have the right idea - none of us are trained for this, but given how chaotic the world has gotten lately, trouble is going to find us. Sure, I'm probably the only one among us four who's actually bulletproof - don't ask how I figured that out- but we're the also ones with the power to do something about it. We need to figure out how to do good, keep in contact and keep each other safe...
"Agreed," nods Khemis. "I'm not bulletproof, but I am tough, and I heal quickly."

"But I was wondering if it might be worth trying to get some kind of official training and sanction. Through the police, or maybe the FBI or something? If we can get ourselves ... certified? ... in some way, recognised as people who know what we're doing, maybe that would help?"
kenmadragon wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:08 am "So, yeah. Maybe we'll be the Great Lakes Avengers, part 2 - the Electric Boogaloo. Even if it's only so we have a support system in place for each other to work together and support each other... But existing communications infrastructure is too unreliable for secure communications to keep our private lives safe from anyone who wants to abuse our gifts. Federal governments can lie about having the proper warrants needed to gain access to telecomm networks and expand existing monitoring infrastructure to search for people like us. Anonymity is preferable, but there's no such thing as perfect anonymity on the internet nor even when using burner phones..."
"Then I guess we need to decide how much we want to compromise that to stay in touch. Or come up with some more secure way to do it, like spies or something," says Khemis. "Dead drops and all that kind of thing?"

"Not sure we want to be 'Boogaloo' anything though," she adds. "That name's too linked to right wing militia madness for me to want to touch it with a ten foot pole..."

------
Shadowmask wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:33 pm (OOC: Also it wouldn't make any sense. Why should private citizens have access to such technology (even if it did exist. Thankfully no, otherwise terrorists and other criminals will have a field day.) while the American government including Homeland Security does not?)
OOC: See the OOC thread for more on this; I put it there as it's definitely off topic here!
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"I wasn't actually suggesting we do something like doing patrols," Deborah says. "But we should be in contact with one another for our own protection as you alluded to. We don't know what the various world governments are going to do about the--" she air quotes --" 'sunstormer' situation, whether they do it tomorrow or years from now. It will be very telling how big media news outlets cover today's event.

"We can start with some burner phones and a private SMS group. The important thing there would be remembering to turn the phones off before approaching wherever you live. Investing in VPN software might be a good idea as well.