Heavy Hitters and Skillmonkeys (Fulgrim, Carnage, Batman)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Harnos

Heavy Hitters and Skillmonkeys (Fulgrim, Carnage, Batman)

Post by Harnos »

Well, the title is self explanatory. I will build them for fun and to have a solid example of my vision about how game rules translate into characters. DC builds will be the first ones, because we have official builds that we can make comparisons. Few guidelines I will use;

1) Builds will be high in both power level and total points. They can stop alien armadas and defeat armies of superpower-countries. You can justify a green lantern being PL 14 because he is supposed to protect a world. I also personally like higher power levels generally. The diversity of the powers, abilities and skills of heroes make them expensive too.

2) They will have bigger arrays compared to many official builds since bigger arrays allows for wider area effects s and more effective non-damage effects such as transformation and affliction. I think that suits better for characters that can destroy cities or transform buildings into mud.

3) Majority of brick characters will have higher toughness than their damage output. Because superheroes can fight for a long time, endure few hits before being really hurt and withstand heavy weaponry such as Damage 15 ballistic missiles and Damage 20-30 nukes. (Nuke effect ranks is written in Gadget Guide)

4)I will use some optional rules like 2e-style impervious toughness or ability stunts for abilities other than str.

5) Builds will be inspired by Threat Report book, Jab's Builds and J-Mart.

6) Characters will NOT be comic accurate. Comics give up commons sense and logical coherency for the story and I don't like that aspects of comics. Also I've read more Image Comics and Avatar Press than DC, so I'm not the best person to judge that. I will go by my capepunk taste.

DC
Aquaman
Batman
Black Adam
Captain Atom
Captain Marvel (Billy Batson)
Darkseid
Doomsday
Flash
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
Green Lantern (John Stewart)
Green Lantern (Kilowog)
Green Lantern Corps Member
Kryptonians
Martian Manhunter
Powergirl
Sinestro
Superman
Superman (Silver Age)
Superwoman
Wonder Woman
Ultraman

Marvel
Abomination
Apocalypse
Ares of Marvel
Beast
Black Panther
Black Widow
Captain America
Carnage
Colossus
Cyclops
Dr. Doom
Gladiator
Graviton
Hawkeye
Hulk (Green Scar)
Hulk (Savage)
Hyperion
Iron Man
Juggernaut
Loki
Magneto
Namor
Professor X
Sabretooth
Sentry
Silver Surfer
Spiderman
Thanos
Thor
Venom
Vision
Wolverine

Fantastic Four
Human Torch
Invisible Woman
Mr. Fantastic
The Thing

Invincible
Anissa
Battle Beast
Conquest
Invincible
Omni-Man
Thragg

Viltrumite Template

Warhammer 40k
Custodian
Fulgrim
Space Marine (Firstborn)
Space Marine (Primaris)

Dr. Destroyer (Champions RPG)
Last edited by Harnos on Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:48 pm, edited 83 times in total.
Harnos

Re: Marvel and DC Heavy Hitters

Post by Harnos »

Superman PL 16 (372)
Strength 20 Stamina 17 Fighting 10
Agility 2 Dexterity 3
Intellect 5 Awareness 6 Presence 5

Powers:
Man of Steel: Protection 3, Impervious Toughness 12 (Stops 11 or less damage, 2 pp per rank) (27)
Stronger Than Hundred Locomotives:
Enhanced Strength 4, Limited to Lifting (400.000 Tons) (5)
Feature 1: (Wins the opposed strength-checks when in a tie)
Solar Battery: Immunity 11 (Life Support, Aging) (11)
Superhuman Reflexes:
Enhanced Advantages: Improved Initiative 5, Evasion (16)
Quickness 9, AE: Deflect 9

Faster Than Anything Man-Made:
Flight 18, Subtle (500.000 MPH) [37 pp array] (41)
  • AE: Space Travel 1
  • AE: Speed 15 (64.000 MPH), Subtle. Quickness 6 (Stacks with Quickness 9)
  • AE: Flight 15 (64.000 MPH), Subtle. Quickness 6 (Stacks with Quickness 9)
  • AE: Flight 15 (64.000 MPH), Subtle. Deflect 3 (Stacks with Deflect 9)
Heat Vision: Multiattack Ranged Damage 16, Accurate 2, Precise [51 pp array] (55)
  • Wide Beam: Close Ranged Damage 15, Cone Area 2 (120 ft)
  • Freeze Breath: Cone Area 2 (120 ft) Affliction 15 (Resisted by Dodge and Overcome by Fortitude; Impaired Toughness and Dazed, Disabled Toughness and Stunned, Paralyzed)
  • Groundstrike: Burst Area 2 (60 ft) Affliction 15 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Dazed and Vulnerable, Stunned and Prone)
    Extra Condition, Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to targets on the ground, linked with Close Damage 15, Burst Area 2 (60 ft), Limited to targets on the ground
  • Fly Through: Line Area 3 (500 ft) on Strength Damage 15, Feature 1 (Can spend a move action do double the area)
Burning Eyes:Feature 1 (Glowing red eyes give +5 circumstance bonus to Intimidate checks) (1)
Super-senses: Extended Vision 3, Infravision, Ultravision, Vision Penetrates Concealment; Limited: Can't see through lead, Microscopic Vision 4
Extended Hearing 3, Ultra-hearing (15)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit 1 (Iconic Hero), Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Extraordinary Effort,Evasion, Improved Aim, Improved Initiative 4, Inspire 2, Interpose, Great Endurance, Languages 2 (English as base, Kryptonian, Spanish), Leadership, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Takedown, Teamwork, Withstand Damage (+2 Toughness, -2 Dodge/Parry), Ultimate Effort 2 (Strength checks, Toughness saves)

Skills: 54 ranks
Acrobatics 3/5
Athletics 1/21
Close Combat: Unarmed 2/12
Deception 3/8
Expertise: Farmer 2/7
Expertise: Journalist 4/9
Expertise: Kryptonian Lore 6/11
Insight 4/10
Intimidation 8/13
Investigation 3/8
Perception 6/12
Persuasion 7/12
Ranged Combat: Throwing 2/10
Sleight of Hand
Stealth
Technology 3/8
Treatment
Vehicles

Defenses:
Dodge 10 Parry 11 Toughness 20 (Impervious to 11 or less)
Fortitude 17 Will 11

Offense:
Initiative 22
Unarmed 12, Damage 20
Heat Vision 12, Damage 16
Throwing 10, Damage 20

Abilities 136 +Defenses 13+ Powers 171 + Advantages 25 + Skills 27 = 372 pp

Complications:
Power Loss: Superman loses his powers and his Str and Sta are reduced to 4 under a red sun and
other effects draining or interfering with the energies of the yellow sun can deprive him of his powers.
Weakness: Superman loses his powers and his Str and Sta are reduced to 3 when he is close to kryptonite. Long-term exposure can even kill him.
Vulnerability: Superman is vulnerable to magic. All the magical effects targeting him has 2 more effect rank against him. His Toughness
is not Impervious against magical attacks.
Relationships: Superman’s closest relationship is with his wife, Lois Lane. Other important people in his life include his
mother, Martha Kent, and friends and co-workers Jimmy Olsen, Perry White and Catherine “Cat” Grant.
Responsibility: Superman feels a strong sense of responsibility to use his powers for the benefit of all.

Superman is the poster boy of DC (along with Batman) and the big gun of the Justice League. So it made sense to build him first since he will be the benchmark other heavy hitters compared to. I made him PL 16 because I prefer him to be a little more powerful than other world protector members. Downgrading Captain Marvel and Wonder Women didn't feel good, so I made Superman PL 16. As I previously stated, a higher power level can be justified considering what these characters can do too.

I gave him 20 Str, so he reaches the "cosmic" benchmark and is little bit stronger than Black Adam and Captain Marvel. 20 Toughness allows him to withstand heavy weapons and survive the nukes most of the time. He can travel along the Ecuador line under five minutes with Flight 18. As a kid I've read that he can do that in a magazine and that little info felt very impressive in that young age.

Overall, he is the top guy among the world protectors and handle world shattering threats.
Last edited by Harnos on Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:36 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Harnos wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:20 pm Superman PL 16 (367)

I gave him 20 Str, so he ... is little bit stronger than Black Adam and Captain Marvel.
Them's fightin' words in these parts, pardner. ;)

All in all nice work. I'd have also given him All-Out Attack. Given how much Clark usually just takes the hits and keeps going, and so rarely misses, I think he actually has All-Out Attack, and uses it often.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

Ken wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:11 am
Harnos wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:20 pm Superman PL 16 (367)

I gave him 20 Str, so he ... is little bit stronger than Black Adam and Captain Marvel.
Them's fightin' words in these parts, pardner. ;)

All in all nice work. I'd have also given him All-Out Attack. Given how much Clark usually just takes the hits and keeps going, and so rarely misses, I think he actually has All-Out Attack, and uses it often.
Thank you. I was a little bit indecisive about all-out attack. I associate this feat with more berserker types, such as Doomsday, Hulk and Wolverine while Superman has a reputation for "holding back". What you say makes sense but I'm not still sure.
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

I like the Accurate Attack Advantage representing him usually hitting and seldom using his full strength to hit.
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

Wonder Woman PL 15
Strength 16 Stamina 15 Fighting 12
Agility 8 Dexterity 5
Intellect 2 Awareness 6 Presence 5

Powers:
Speed of Hermes: Flight 15 (64.000 MPH), Subtle (43)
Enhanced Advantages: Improved Initiative 6, Evasion 1, Move-by Action, Takedown 2
Alternate Effect of Agility Skill Bonuses: Quickness 8 (1 pp)
Strength of Gaia: Enhanced Strength 5, Limited to Lifting (50.000 tons) (5)
Immortal: Immunity 1 (Aging) (1)
Magical Sword: Strength-based Damage 2, Easily Removable (1)
Amazonian Shield: Enhanced Dodge 2, Parry 2 (8)
Enhanced Advantages; Improved Defense, Defensive Attack, Withstand Damage 2 (+5 Toughness, -5 Dodge/Parry)
Feature 2(Indestructible), Easily Removable
Bracers of Victory: Impervious Toughness 7 ( Stops 6 or less damage,2 pp per rank) (24 pp)
Deflect 15
Feature 1(Indestructible), Removable
Magic Lasso: Move Object 16, Linked to Ranged Affliction 16 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; Impaired Will, Compelled), Limited to Telling The Truth, Limited Degree, Easily Removable (22)

Advantages: 19
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Defensive Attack, Power Attack, Improved Defense, Improved Critical 1 (Sword), Ranged Attack 5
Improved Initiative 5, Evasion 1, Move-by Action, Takedown 2, Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Interpose
Attractive, Benefit 2 (Amazon Royalty), Fearless, Extraordinary Effort

Skills: 52 ranks
Acrobatics 5/13
Athletics 4/20
Close Combat: Unarmed 1/13
Deception 1/6 (8 with Attractive)
Expertise: History and Mythology 12/14
Expertise: Military 8/10
Insight 6/12
Intimidation 2/7
Investigation
Perception 4/10
Persuasion 6/11 (13 with Attractive)
Ranged Combat:
Sleight of Hand
Stealth 1/9
Technology
Treatment
Vehicles 2/7

Defenses:
Dodge 13\15 Parry 13\15 Toughness 15 (Impervious to 6 or less)
Fortitude 15 Will 13

Offense:
Initiative +32
Unarmed 13, Damage 16
Sword 12, Damage 18

Abilities 138 +Defenses 13 + Powers 104 + Advantages 19 + Skills 26 = 300 pp

Complications:
Enemies: Ares, Circe and the Cheetah
Responsibility: She is a superhero, member of the Justice League and a member of Themiscyran royalty.
Motivation (Protecting the innocent)

Wonder Woman is a textbook PL 15 in my book. She is able to fight Superman and has a decent chance to win. As a super-fast, trained and experienced warrior her ability to modify her combat bonuses as she sees fit makes her really dangerous for both tough and agile enemies alike. Her sword and shield gives her a boost in PL but she is not too weak without them. Her reaction time is above Superman and really higher than normal humans, her flight speed is enough for a world protector, though not as fast as Superman, Green Lantern or Flash.
Last edited by Harnos on Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

CaptainKaulu wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:20 pm I like the Accurate Attack Advantage representing him usually hitting and seldom using his full strength to hit.
Thank you. Honestly, I didn't think of his "holding back" approach while adding it, I just put it to reflect his super-speed. That is a good interpretation.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Nice job on Wonder Woman.

I can't say I like the sword and shield, but that's just me being tired of the whole Xena-fying of Diana.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

Ken wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:54 pm Nice job on Wonder Woman.

I can't say I like the sword and shield, but that's just me being tired of the whole Xena-fying of Diana.
Thanks. I understand that. Sword is pushing the limits of the genre, not just for the lethality effect but also we are more familiar with the lower powered guys carrying guns and swords. Superhumans of this level just generally punch each other non-stop. But I personally like the sword, fits her ancient origins and I have no problem with lethality.
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

Martian Manhunter PL 14 (357)
Strength 15/17 Stamina 15 Fighting 9
Agility 3 Dexterity 4
Intellect 7 Awareness 7 Presence 2

Powers:
Martian Body: Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support), Impervious Toughness 8
Enhanced Strength 4, Limited to Lifting (12 ktons-50ktons) (31 pp)
Martian Senses: Extended Vision 2, Detect Minds (Acute, Extended) (6)
Super-Speed: Flight 15 (64.000 MPH); Subtle, Quickness 6, Enhanced Advantages: Improved Initiative 3, Move-by Action, Evasion,
Takedown (43)

Bodymorph: Variable 4 (Free Action) (36 pp)
  • Insubstantial 4
  • Increased Density; Enhanced Strength 2, Protection 2 (Impervious), Feature 2 (Increased Mass 4)
  • Invisibility; Concealment 4 (Visuals)
  • Monster Form; Enhanced Strength 2, Protection 2 (Impervious), Extra Limbs 2, Reach 1, Enhanced Advantages: Improved Hold, Fast Grab
Psychic Link: Communication 4, Area, Selective (24pp)
Psychic Powers: Mind-Reading 12 (Cumulative, Effortless) [48 pp array] (51)
  • Move Object 11, Perception Ranged, Damaging, Subtle, Increased Mass 3 (400-800 tons)
  • Martian Vision; Ranged Damage 14, Accurate
  • Ghost Touch; Affliction 12, Cumulative, Affects Corporeal (Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude, Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated)
Advantages:
Diehard, Great Endurance, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Set-up, Teamwork
Languages 2 (Martian base, English, 3 others), Trance
Improved Initiative 3, Move-by Action, Evasion, Takedown

Skills: 30 ranks
Acrobatics 1/4
Athletics 1/16
Close Combat: Unarmed 2/11
Deception 3/5
Expertise: Natural Sciences 4/11
Intimidation 1\3
Investigation 7/14
Persuasion 4/11
Ranged Combat
Sleight of Hand
Stealth 2/5
Technology 4/11
Treatment
Vehicles 1/5

Defenses:
Dodge 11 Parry 11 Toughness 15/17 (Impervious to 7/9 or less)
Fortitude 15 Will 13

Offense:
Initiative 15
Unarmed 11, Damage 17
Throwing 9, Damage 17
Force Blast 11, Damage 14

Abilities 122 +Defenses 16 + Powers 191 + Advantages 13 + Skills 15 = 357 pp

Complications:
Enemy: His brother, Malefic.
Power Loss: Loss of powers and reduction of Str and Sta to 2
when exposed to fire.
Prejudice: Often feels isolated among humans, a “stranger in
a strange land.
Motivation(Responsibility: J'onn will do his best to protect his new home and friends.

J’onn J’onzz is expectedly the most expensive build. His wide list of unrelated powers and many of them can be used at the same time. I think he fits PL 14 nicely. He is definitely a powerhouse but just not on the same level as Superman or Wonder Woman. He can fill the many niche successfully with his variable and wide array powers. Of course, I must add that a character like this would be very dangerous in the hands of players but I guess he must be less effective in the hands of authors.
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

Green Lantern - John Stewart PL 14
Strength 3 Stamina 4 Fighting 9
Agility 3 Dexterity 4
Intellect 3 Awareness 2 Presence 3

Powers:

Willpower Reserve: Enhanced Will 4, Limited to Green Lantern Ring (2 pp)

Green Lantern Ring:
Ring AI: Feature 2 (AI and Database), Comprehend Languages 3 (Can read, speak and understand all languages) (8)
Scanning Beam:Senses 6 (Analytical Auditory, Chemical and Visual) (6)
Mental Link: Communication 4 (Mental, Planet-wide), Limited to Green Lantern Corps (-2) (8)

Force Constructs: Create 16, Precise, Stationary, Impervious 8 (Stops 7 Damage,16 pp), Enhanced Volume 6 (120.000 cubic meters) [56 pp array] (All Dynamic) (77 pp)
  • Moveable Constructs: Create 12, Moveable, Impervious 7, Increased Mass 4 (1600-3200 tons), Enhanced Volume 2 (500 cubic meters)
  • Force Blast: Ranged Damage 16, Accurate 1, Extended Range 3
  • Multi-blast: Ranged Damage 12, Multiattack, Accurate 2, Extended Range 1
  • Blast Cone: Ranged Damage 14, Cone Area 2 (120 ft)
  • Special Blast: Ranged Damage 14, Shapeable Area 2 (60 cubic feet)
  • Bursting Blast: Ranged Damage 14, Burst Area 2 (60 ft)
  • Force Lifting: Move Object 16, Damaging, Precise, Increased Mass 2 (6400-12500 tons)
  • Force Bonds: Ranged Affliction 13,(Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage), (Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobile, Paralyzed)
    Extra Condition, Cumulative, Accurate 1, Extended Range 1
  • Mass Force Bonds:Ranged Affliction 11, Shapeable Area 60 ft,(Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage), (Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobile, Paralyzed), Extra Condition
  • Force Bubble: Ranged Burst Area 1 (30 ft) Immunity 7 (All Environmental Conditions, Suffocation), Affect Others Only, Sustained linked with Create 16, Moveable 10 (25-50 tons)
  • Maximum Force Field; Enhanced Advantages: Withstand Damage 2 (+5 Toughness, -5 Dodge/Parry)

Force Field: Protection 12, Sustained, Impervious Toughness 8 (Stops 7 or less damage, 16 pp) linked with Immunity 8, Sustained (All Environmental Conditions, Suffocation, Poison), Feature 1 (Quick Change), Environment 1 (Light) (38)

Lantern Flight: Flight 15 (64.000 MPH), Movement 4 (Space Travel 3, Zero Gravity Adaptation) (38)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Improved Aim, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged:Cover), Ranged Attack 6
Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Ultimate Effort 2 (Ranged Attack, Will Save)
Withstand Damage 2 (+5 Toughness, -5 Dodge/Parry)

Skills: 42 ranks
Acrobatics 1/4
Athletics 5/8
Close Combat: Unarmed
Deception
Expertise: Architecture 7/10
Expertise: Soldier 8/11
Insight 2/4
Intimidation 6/8
Investigation
Perception 4/6
Persuasion 1/3
Ranged Combat: Throwing
Sleight of Hand
Stealth 3/6
Technology 3/6
Treatment
Vehicles 2/5

Defenses:
Dodge 10 Parry 10 Toughness 4/16 (Impervious to 6 or less)
Fortitude 7 Will 12

Offense:
Initiative +4
Standart Blast 12, Damage 16
Multi-blast 14, Damage 12
Force Bonds 12, Ranged Affliction 13
Various Area Effects

Abilities 62 +Defenses 22 + Powers 175 + Advantages 13 + Skills 21 = 293 pp

Complications:
Self-Doubt: John is prone to second-guess himself after his role in the destruction of Xanshi.
Power Loss: The power ring needs periodic recharging and issues a warning as its power runs low.
Weakness: Green Lantern power rings depend on the willpower of the wearer; the maximum rank of the ring’s effects
is equal to the wearer’s Will rank, and moments of self-doubt or hesitation can cause the ring to fail.

Here is another PL 14 JL member, John Steward. I made him a PL 14 because he has considerable power, is responsible for a space sector and would hold his own against heavy hitters of JL, at least for while. I am familiar with him through JL and JLU animated series. He looked really powerful in the show. Actually Superman himself was a victim of worf effect in these series, John's force fields endured attacks that sent Superman flying. His background states that he excelled as a sharp-shooter in the army, so +12 bonus seemed enough, he is better than a regular elite soldier but not as good as badass normal characters like Deadshot or Batman.

I would place Hal Jordan at Pl 14,5-15 I guess. Weaker, average lanterns would be Pl 13 and the weakest ones would be Pl 12.
Last edited by Harnos on Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

EDIT: I raised Superman's attack bonus to 12, so he now hits PL 16 level cap on offense. I think his accuracy should be a bit above Captain Marvel, Martian Manhunter or other kryptonians.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Harnos wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:19 pm Well, the title is self explanatory. I will build them for fun and to have a solid example of my vision about how game rules translate into characters. DC builds will be the first ones, because we have official builds that we can make comparisons. Few guidelines I will use;

1) Builds will be high in both power level and total points. They can stop alien armadas and defeat armies of superpower-countries. You can justify a green lantern being PL 14 because he is supposed to protect a world. I also personally like higher power levels generally. The diversity of the powers, abilities and skills of heroes make them expensive too.

2) They will have bigger arrays compared to many official builds since bigger arrays allows for wider area effects s and more effective non-damage effects such as transformation and affliction. I think that suits better for characters that can destroy cities or transform buildings into mud.

3) Majority of brick characters will have higher toughness than their damage output. Because superheroes can fight for a long time, endure few hits before being really hurt and withstand heavy weaponry such as Damage 15 ballistic missiles and Damage 20-30 nukes. (Nuke effect ranks is written in Gadget Guide)

4)I will use some optional rules like 2e-style impervious toughness or ability stunts for abilities other than str.

5) Builds will be inspired by Threat Report book, Jab's Builds and J-Mart.

6) Characters will NOT be comic accurate. Comics give up commons sense and logical coherency for the story and I don't like that aspects of comics. Also I've read more Image Comics and Avatar Press than DC, so I'm not the best person to judge that. I will go by my capepunk taste.
Hi,
I am enjoying your builds so far!

I look forward to seeing all of the DC and Marvel characters you do with high stattings! There are so many great characters I can't wait to see more.
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

Goldar wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:45 am Hi,

I look forward to seeing all of the DC and Marvel characters you do with high stattings! There are so many great characters I can't wait to see more.

Thank you. Your comment honestly made my day!
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Harnos wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:44 am
Goldar wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:45 am Hi,

Thank you. Your comment honestly made my day!
Glad to hear it and that I could provide positivity to you!