[IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
FuzzyBoots

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

"Damn skippy!" Ice Princess enthuses, and does a quick victory lap before returning and pointing at the heroes emphatically. "So, losers, time to clear out, huh? Before we have to get rough?"

Mirror Maiden has an angry expression on her face, and Snowdrift starts forward, limping slightly, when suddenly Johnny Frostbite gives a sudden grunt and, when Mirror Maiden looks at him, her face clears, and she flies forward on her telekinesis and takes Snowdrift's shoulder.
"Yes, I think it's time. I trust these two to not cause any further trouble or to interfere. We have better places to be, right? Solving better problems?"

All three of the others get a telepathic broadcast courtesy of Mirror Maiden and Snowdrift.
There's a big problem with one of the improvised shelter. It's a sports stadium, football I think, and the roof is starting to bow. Johnny noticed it on their way to AEGIS, and apparently planned on trying to get his partner to help out by coaching it as an exercise in demonstrating power, Mirror Maiden says in your head.
I think I know how to fix the problem, Snowdrift adds, But it's going to take a combination of our efforts, including these two, and I think Mirror Maiden is going to better than I can at keeping the 'Princess' occupied and directed. Thing is, Johnny thinks that the situation with the Gelid Engine is accelerating, so I don't think you can afford to come with us.
According to Johnny, Madame Zero is at ASTRO Labs. He says that this is his good deed for the day, and that he's going to call on us to show how he was actually helping during all of this, Mirror Maiden adds.
OOC wrote:As noted before, I don't want to have to run the other two heroes, so I'm going to adjust the final bit of the adventure so that you only need the two of you. This is my way to give an excuse for them disappearing.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 1
Condition Okay

He was about to say something about Ice Princess being a cheat when V was more gracious a loser than him. He stopped himself and started to think about their next move. However, it seemed the accord was about to break down. Then, suddenly the situation turned again.
FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:00 pm There's a big problem with one of the improvised shelter. It's a sports stadium, football I think, and the roof is starting to bow. Johnny noticed it on their way to AEGIS, and apparently planned on trying to get his partner to help out by coaching it as an exercise in demonstrating power, Mirror Maiden says in your head.
I think I know how to fix the problem, Snowdrift adds, But it's going to take a combination of our efforts, including these two, and I think Mirror Maiden is going to better than I can at keeping the 'Princess' occupied and directed. Thing is, Johnny thinks that the situation with the Gelid Engine is accelerating, so I don't think you can afford to come with us.
According to Johnny, Madame Zero is at ASTRO Labs. He says that this is his good deed for the day, and that he's going to call on us to show how he was actually helping during all of this, Mirror Maiden adds.
Breathing a sigh of relief about not having to face off again, he nods to Mirror Maiden, agreeing with her plan. He turns to V and motions for him(?) to follow before taking to the air.

"ASTRO Labs it is then."
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 4

V Nods and says, "Since we have at least a telepath on each team, we should be able to message each other should something go wrong."

Turning to Protector, Alright, lets do this then."

V waits for Protector to take the lead and follows after.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

As you traverse the city, you note that it's getting worse. Protector's suit informs him that the power draw for heating is starting to get significant, and V's skin is beginning to numb, while everywhere in the city, they're seeing the rate of snow dropping as the air gets too cold for the snow to form.

The normally sedate ASTRO Labs campus has transformed from boxy, mid-century utility to a winterized hellscape of snowdrifts and spires of ice reaching toward the gloomy sky. A steady pulse of blue light thrums from the roof, where a rime-covered machine crackles with static beneath a glowing dome of energy. A dozen men and women in spectacles and lab coats shiver together in a nearby cage, guarded by soldiers in white armor.
OOC wrote:Necrodrake, can you have V roll a DC 12 Fortitude check against the Extreme Cold? It's a level of Fatigue if you miss it.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 1
Condition Okay

Things are getting worse weather wise. Not sure how long the suit can function. At this rate its going to be colder than outer space which the suit was designed to operate in. Never did get to finish the testing.

As they near ASTRO labs, he spies the group on the roof.

So we have guards and a machine to shut down and no sign of Madame Zero. The guards we can deal with, but they won't be operating on their own.

Stopping nearby, he begins spitballing a plan with V, conscious that they don't have much time.

"So, the obvious play here is going to involve we take down the guards as quickly as possible and you protect me whilst I shut down the machine. Madame Zero will come into play at some point. Hopefully I can shut down the machine quickly

From a distance, he tries to figure out what he might need to do to shut the machine down or at least what his first play might be.
technology: 1d20+19 24
Expertise Science: 1d20+19 37
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

Protector peers up at the glimmering dome of energy, and something about it nags him with its familiarity. Perhaps it's something he encountered in his corporate work? Academics? It almost looked like... no, could it be? He remembered a collaboration with Astro Labs, back when he was exploring potential hazards in space exploration that he needed to address, where they'd been showing some of their work with what was considered to be inert Grue protoplasm. In the midst of the demonstration, the protoplasm had suddenly shifted into something with far too many claws and teeth, only to splash up against a suddenly manifested energy barrier. At the time, the lab techs had explained that it was a standard safety precaution involving charged particle barriers. The device had the unfortunate side effect of blocking or distorting a fair amount of the electromagnetic spectrum, which meant that it required hardwired access, and required a fair amount of energy to maintain. If Madame Zero had solved the energy problem, this could be very useful...

He shook his head to banish his thoughts of how he could integrate that tech. There were people in need of help, and a good chance, if Astro Lab's security measures were still in place, that they knew the heroes were coming.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

OOC wrote:Necrodrake, can you have V roll a DC 12 Fortitude check against the Extreme Cold? It's a level of Fatigue if you miss it.
OOC wrote:Fortitude Check: 1d20+8 = 18

Even though V keeps up their body heat somehow, they are starting to contemplate maybe growing fur...
Before getting too into it, "Well, if you are willing to be a little uncomfortable for a minute or so, initial stealth might be an option. I can't turn you invisible, but I can share some of my existence with yours.

Demonstrating, V holds up their hand to draw attention to it and turns it ghostly, "I can pass through objects and even solid ground, though holding your breath will be a key requirement in that regard. Through touch, I can impart that on someone else. Depending on the circumstances, we might be able to sneak past any obstruction, or at least get the jump on them so we can get this done faster."

V rubs their hands together in a warming gesture, "And I would love to get this done faster... My body might be alien to yours, but I still don't do the cold very well..."
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 1
Condition Fine

Miles considers what V suggests for a moment

"Can you pass through an energy barrier?" he asks, thinking of ways to maximise their numerological disadvantage, "if you can, we might be able to use their barrier to our advantage to protect us long enough to reverse the effects of the machine."

Looking across, he tries to see how much space is there between the machine and the barrier, if there was enough for him to work on the machine if the barrier was still running and if the barrier went underneath to the ceiling underneath.
perception: 1d20+7 12
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

V considers for a moment, "I am unsure. Strong vibrations via soundwaves can give me trouble... loud sounds are fine, but concentrated sound waves... hurt. Figured that one out when I went through an explosion like this. Wasn't burned or even touched by the shrapnel or concussive force, but the sonic boom ripped through me... it wasn't pleasant."

V shrugs, "You think that barrier could have a similar effect? Not that I can hear anything from here, but if its made from compressed soundwaves it might be like hitting a wall... an angry wall."
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 1
Condition Fine
NecroDrake wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:54 pm V shrugs, "You think that barrier could have a similar effect? Not that I can hear anything from here, but if its made from compressed soundwaves it might be like hitting a wall... an angry wall."
"Soundwaves eh. Let me rack my brains on that one." He tries to pull up from his eidetic memory any details that had been mentioned or shown about the field.
eidetic memory: 1d20+14 25
"But if does look like if you can get me inside that field, I can fit in there to be able to disable that machine."
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

His mind focuses back on the presentation and some notes that were shared.

"Ah, sounds like our plan is out. There is an element of sound frequencies imbedded in the forcefield. Looks like we need to take out the guards and disable the field in order to disable the machine."

He scratches his left eyebrow, which doesn't really work in a suit of power Armour.

I'm not at all stealthy, so we'd be better off if possible that you disable the guards so I can disable the field and device hopefully before Madame Zero realises and we have to face her."
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

V nods, "I could try and keep them occupied for the most part. Since this has started I've fought against crafty or tough opponents. I'm not sure I should underestimate them and tell you I can knock them out quickly. At the minimum I can try to get them away from it."

They shrug and start heading over there, "When you see your chance, please take it."
OOC wrote:My general plan is to fly as close as I can without being spotted, land, max invisibility 10 (all senses except tactile), turn on Density increase, and try to sucker punch the guard furthest away from the machine.

If they go down, great! I rinse and repeat. If not, I'll try to lure away as many as I can. Holding off on rolling for now in case something complicates things.

They also get a chance to save against my invis as a reminder
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 2

OOC wrote:@NecroDrake (V) Do you want to make a set of DC 14 Stealth checks to avoid the mercenaries catching on before you can take them all down? If you can manage 3 successes before 3 failures, I'll say that you took them all down before they could raise an alarm. If you have three failures first, then you still take them all down (they're just mooks), but they'll get to their radio.
OOC wrote:Stealth Check: 1d20+0 = 12
Stealth Check: 1d20+0 = 12
Stealth Check: 1d20+0 = 18
Stealth Check: 1d20+0 = 9
REROLL! HP: 4 > 3
Stealth Check: 1d20+0 = 14
Stealth Check: 1d20+0 = 8
REROLL! HP: 4 > 2
Stealth Check: 1d20+0 = 4
Result under 10, Add 10 = 14
Invisible, V observes each guard for the best chance to take each out quickly and quietly. Not really used to stealth combat, they make a blunder here and there, getting by on raw luck.

The first guard notices the sound of footsteps coming towards them, but turns around to find nothing. They are shortly knocked unconscious from behind and gently lowered to the floor. The second notices an object get knocked off a table and when they go to investigate, an unseen force slams their head onto the floor, knocking them out as well. The final guard hears the sound of something loudly slamming into the ground, but before they are able to call for help, something tightly wraps around their neck until they to are no longer conscious.
OOC wrote:Not sure how many guards there are, but wanted to at least do a little narration for this bit.
Still invisible, V nervously ponders what they just did.

Holy! That was so nerve wracking! Wait? Do I even have nerves? Regardless, how is it that I always seem to bumble my way through everything? Maybe I should get some actual combat and stealth training... Guess I should contact Protector.
OOC wrote:V does just that, temporarily channeling some points into their telepathy to send a quick message over to Protector, before going full invisible again and carefully exploring for a minute to make sure there aren't any other surprises.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

There are a few dicey moments, but at the end of the assault, V stands among defeated mercenaries, with no one apparently any the wiser for it. A muffled cheer rises from the cage, despite the violent shivering from those inside. A closer look at the cage reveals an unfortunate surprise for Protector. His eldest daughter is among the scientists and administrators, looking defiant, but miserable. One young woman in a lab coat walks up to near the bars, and speaks in a hoarse voice.
"The cage is locked... I don't know if any of them have the key. There's a heater built into this... it's enough that we're not going to freeze to death, but it's not exactly cozy," she says, breaking into a rasping cough before continuing, "Don't worry about me... I inhaled some supercooled air during the assault. I've had worse workplace safety accidents, maybe even in the last month. Which... sounds worse than it is. Let's just say that we deal with a lot of exotic stuff and we're always having to figure things out as we go."

She takes a furtive look to either side, and continues, her voice low, "I don't know how they monitor the area... I know these guys would occasionally check in on the radio. You may want to move fast. We'll be fine." She shivers violently, despite herself.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 2

OOC wrote:If there doesn't appear to be anything hightech about the cage:
Revealing themself, V talks to those inside: "Well, if you want out of there I can free you all fairly quickly."

V motions for them to step back and they phase through the cage, turning solid again on the other side.

"All you have to do is touch me and hold on while we walk through. Should only take a trip or two for all of you... though you might feel kinda weird in the interim, I swear to you that there isn't anything to be afraid of."