[IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
FuzzyBoots

Re: [IC] [3E] The Neophyte Freedom City Experience - A Cold Day in Midtown

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

As V rematerializes on the inside of the cage, he notices that it's distinctly warmer, not warm, but also not freezing. The researchers push forward the younger girl their midst, urging V to save her first, but when he rematerializes on the other side, she lets out a sharp cry and clutches at herself, shivering violently, the tears on her checks beginning to solidify to ice.
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 2

Panicking slightly, "Oops! Sorry. Forgot how cold it was."

Puting them back in for a second, they look around and spot something... a few somethings, "Lets fix that real quick."

V will go through the process of stripping the guards of their winter clothes, equipping our prisoners, and swapping each of them with an unconscious guard in their place within the cage.

Looking to Protector, "Alright, with that taken care of, what do you think we should do with them? They obviously can't stay here... they might be in danger otherwise and I don't want to think about them getting caught in a crossfire should everything go south."
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 2
Condition Okay
FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:22 am There are a few dicey moments, but at the end of the assault, V stands among defeated mercenaries, with no one apparently any the wiser for it. A muffled cheer rises from the cage, despite the violent shivering from those inside. A closer look at the cage reveals an unfortunate surprise for Protector. His eldest daughter is among the scientists and administrators, looking defiant, but miserable.
Samantha His heart leapt into his mouth, what was she doing here? She was supposed at her friends. Emotions swirl around inside his head and it takes a few seconds to pull himself together as V acts. He quickly grabs the downed guards and begins stripping their parkas from them.

"Grab the parkas and dump the guards in there. Make your way to the stadium. There are people there who can protect you." he tells them, voice steely, even though all he wanted to do was to hug his daughter and tell her it was all going to be okay. Resisting that urge was harder than he thought it could ever be.

"I'm going to make this right!" he promises them. It seems to be to all of them, but his gaze lingers for a second on his daughter and he nods
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 2

OOC wrote: So I'l just use the density increase with max flight for this if you are going to rule it as a DC 15 athletics.

Athletics Check: 1d20+10 = 22
V offers their services in this endeavour, "I don't feel like they should go it alone. I'll take them over real quick just to make sure they are safe".

V points at Protector, "Just make sure that they don't ambush you while I'm gone. I think you're the only one here who can do anything about that machine... wouldn't do if they get you and we all turn into popsicles."

V will then gather up all of the Scientists and will some how effortlessly lift them up into the air. They almost appear to float as V flys them to a safer place.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 2
Condition Okay

As V volunteers, he breathes a sigh of relief that they would be protected. Take care of my daughter
NecroDrake wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:43 am V points at Protector, "Just make sure that they don't ambush you while I'm gone. I think you're the only one here who can do anything about that machine... wouldn't do if they get you and we all turn into popsicles."
He grabs one of the radios whilst dumping the other radios and weapons well out of reach of the cage.

"Lets see if I can keep them thinking this group are still active for a bit."

As V leaves, he does a brief burst from his jet boots to propel him up to the roof without being too loud for too long.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Protector

As you rise to the rooftop, you see a white-clad armored figure standing beside the Gelid Engine field, staring at it.
"It's beautiful, isn't it?" you hear her murmur in a low voice, "Soon, everyone will get to know what it feels like to be frozen out of your life." She turns and looks at Protector, cocking her head to one side.
"Well, I thought this might merit a visit from the Freedom League. And even when I saw that only two of you arrived, I expected, well, two of you. Is this all the city can muster?" Her helmet face is a translucent blue, with icicle hair sprouting out of the back. She glances back at the Gelid Engine, inside its force field.
"Well, it won't be long low before these changes are permanent. The cold doesn't seem to bother you much, anyway, but your machinery will only last so long as the weather improves. Have you ever seen a car exposed in Siberia? The metal, the rubber, all succumb to the elements, becoming brittle and fragile until they shatter."
OOC wrote:Can I get a Perception check from Protector? Also, an Insight check.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 2
Condition Okay
FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:27 am "Well, I thought this might merit a visit from the Freedom League. And even when I saw that only two of you arrived, I expected, well, two of you. Is this all the city can muster?" Her helmet face is a translucent blue, with icicle hair sprouting out of the back. She glances back at the Gelid Engine, inside its force field.
"Well, it won't be long low before these changes are permanent. The cold doesn't seem to bother you much, anyway, but your machinery will only last so long as the weather improves. Have you ever seen a car exposed in Siberia? The metal, the rubber, all succumb to the elements, becoming brittle and fragile until they shatter."
Nuts, on my own here. Bluff her and create an opening.

Protector cocks his head at Glacier and stares her down, whilst prepping to charge at her. "You only saw the two of us did you Glacier? How did you last this long?"

How long do I have? he tries to puzzle out if he needs to be quick or if she's bluffing him.
perception: 1d20+7 13
insight: 1d20+9 16
Deception: 1d20+1 19
expertise sciene: 1d20+19 24
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

The armored figure pauses for a second, then suddenly erupts in laughter.
"The cold must be affecting you more than I thought if you think I'm that arctic lunkhead," she says between gasps of levity, "No, you face Madame Zero. I even made a broadcast to let everyone know what their fate would be... I suppose I overestimated how prepared the city was for a bit of cold... cold that I now require ever since my husband attempted to arrange a lab accident for me to make way for his mistress... well, let's just say that I don't take betrayal lightly."

As she speaks, you notice her eyes darting to the side periodically, as if she's waiting for something. As regards her claims that the changes are permanent, as a scientist, you are aware of how difficult it is to create a long-term change in climate. Although, super-science being what it is... it's not unprecedented, just something that usually happens more by accident than by someone purposefully trying to create such a change. Still, she sounds sincere in her belief that the change will be permanent.

"As for how I noticed you... do you really think that ASTRO Labs doesn't have surveillance? I've been watching you and your partner for at least a city block before you approached. And look, he left you to solve this problem all on your own..."
OOC wrote:You get the feeling that she's trying to delay you, but you're not certain why. Also, she seems to be considering the possibility that you are hiding allies.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

GM

Meanwhile, V is finding that his task to carry the former prisoners to the shelter is taking more time than originally expected. He can fly at high speeds with little side effect, and he's been able to carry people at that speed before... but the snow and ice, while not harmful to him, proves to be not unlike a sandblasting to your charges, forcing you to travel at lower speeds than you are accustomed to. You could try phasing them out, but you know that humans need to breathe oxygen, something not possible in your intangible state.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP2
Condition Okay

He moves slightly to place Madame Zero between him and the forcefield surrounding the device. If things went to a fight, using her to defeat the field on the machine seemed a prudent action.

"Like I said, you really aren't paying attention. That much I can gathered from seeing your machine. It's not going to work how you think it is going to. The nanowave frequencies alone indicate that ... " he proceeds to spew some technobabble that sounds vaguely plausible.

"A small scale it might be able to work on, but the size of a city is going to be catastrophic. Do you deserve some peace and a place to live? From what I understand of what happened to you, yes and with some help it can be done. This on the other hand is not containable."

Hopefully I can get her to stand the machine down. Otherwise this will end up as a fight and V isn't back yet.

expertise science: 1d20+19 28
Persuasion: 1d20+2 18
NecroDrake

Post by NecroDrake »

V

HP: 3

OOC wrote: Guess I'll take the hero point for dramatic tension.

2 > 3
Flying through storm at a breakneck pace, V shares their incorporeal nature with their passengers to make sure the elements and obstacles don't get in their way.

The snowfall is getting too thick at this point... A combination of the ice and wind making it so V can barely see a few feet around them.

I thought we'd be there by now? Where is it? Did I get turned around somewhere? I think I recognize the area, but everything looks the same with all of this ice and snow.

V slows considerately to look more closely at their surroundings, "Sorry everyone. Keep an eye out. I can barely see in this storm... we might have to find a street sign to find out where we are."
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Protector

As you babble on, you can tell that Madame Zero is listening to you, but only with half an ear. When you finish your impassioned plea, she laughs, her voice bitter.
"Do you know how many times I have been promised 'cures'? How many doctors have tried to 'melt my heart of ice'? So many men trying to fix me, as if I were some sort of broken doll?" He voice rises as she speaks. "Well, no more! Now, I will let everyone else know how I feel, once and more all. And I will start with you."

As her words finish, you feel impacts in your armor almost simultaneous with multiple cracks of supersonic bullets firing, with small spangs of ricochets around you.
OOC wrote:Arctic Fox makes his surprise attack (earlier Perception attack was from his Stealth roll). 15 hits you with you Vulnerable, but only barely, for a DC 25.

After that, please roll initiative.

Initiative
Arctic Fox - 27
Madame Zero - 7

V will get to show up on round 3.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 2 now 1

Protector tanks the hit, the resilience of the suit surprising him.

Dammit, can't say I didn't give you a chance.

Initiative: 1d20+6 14
Toughness check: 1d20+10 14
toughness reroll: 1d20+10 24 doh should be +12 so 26.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Protector

As he tanks the hits, Protector sees a flash of white as a man in white armor, including a cape flowing in his wake suddenly ducks from behind a ventilation duct on the roof and fires a spray of darts at Protector. As they stick into the armor, a jolt of electricity suddenly links them, crackling through the armor as he passes by a snow drift and... seemingly fades right into it, the armor the same color as the drift, and the cape suddenly resolving as actually a swirl of snow caught up the howling wind.
OOC wrote:Arctic Fox, at the top of the initiative, breaks from his position of stealth, fires off his Taser Darts, uses his Move-By Action to continue moving after firing, and then use his Hide in Plain Sight to hide without needing specific cover.

Taser Darts: 21 will hit (no Multi-Attack bonus) for a DC 15 Dodge save. One degree of failure makes you Impaired, two degrees Disables, three degrees Incapacitated. Recovery is via Fortitude.
Stealth: 34 may make him a little hard to track down...

Protector is up, and then Madame Zero.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Protector
HP 1
Condition Okay
FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:57 am Taser Darts: 21 will hit (no Multi-Attack bonus) for a DC 15 Dodge save. One degree of failure makes you Impaired, two degrees Disables, three degrees Incapacitated. Recovery is via Fortitude.
dodge: 1d20+8 23
Protector dodges easily, surprising himself at the same time.

This armour is more intuitive than I thought I designed it. Not got a chance of finding him dressed like that in this weather though. Take out the boss and hopefully they will run.

He activates the thrusters and tries to slam into Madame Zero, intent on driving her back into the forcefield.
Power attack on Madame Zero: 1d20+4 21 DC29 I think.
Flight 8 if that helps with moving Madame Zero towards or into the forcefield.