[Main IC] MnM 3e - Geneforge: the Created

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: [Main IC] MnM 3e - Geneforge: the Created

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The Mind
HP: 2, Condition: 1 injury

As the creature's retreat and Shaper D'Tan's orders become clear it let's the thoughts-thoughts-thoughts- ring through itself. If the intent was to merely chase them down and end them here, creatures Meat Shield and Pounce would've been applicable candidates. When it debated internsy on the merits of stealth and tracking, it dropped Meat Shield in favor of Craze.

The bird was its first instinct, being capable of flight and quite stealthy as is too. Yet, itself would already be searching from the air for signs of habitation. A pair of eyes on the ground would be more beneficial. For the record, when it comes to matters of tracking, only one of creatures avaliable were purpose built for this task.

'Pounce. You are required to locate. I will be watching from the air. I will be searching for neural activity. You will be searching for ground disturbances and similar indications of Fyora activities.'
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Meat Shield
Hero Points: 2; Luck Points: 1; Condition: Fine

Meat Shield is torn between pursuing the retreating rogue creatures and their duty towards the Shaper. They glance back and forth from one to the other for a second before somewhat reluctantly returning to the vicinity of the Shaper, the last of their burns fading away as their regeneration heals them back into a pristine state.

They shuffle up to the Shaper, eye downcast in shame, wringing their huge clawed hands together nervously. "I am so sorry, o Shaper. I failed you. You are hurt!" they say in a distressed tone. "Please forgive me!"

"And if I may try and treat your wounds, please allow me to do that too," they continue in a slightly more practical tone.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Pounce!
HP: 2; LP: 0; Condition: Bruised -1

For a moment, Pounce! stayed in a wary crouch, half-believing that the rogues' retreat was some kind of feint. When it was clear they were actually running away, she took a pace forward- the drive to pursue fleeing prey was strong. But she looked back at the Shaper and held her ground.

Until the Shaper spoke, and Mind called for her- at some level, she felt that Mind was, at some level, an extension of the Shaper. With one last glance towards the Shaper, satisfied that Meat Shield was taking over protection once more, she paced forward in pursuit. She took a moment to stop and sniff one of the fallen rogues, then dashed into the underbrush, hot on the trail...

>OOC: Moving in pursuit, as directed.
-Athletics DC 15, 1d20+9= 28
-Perception DC 24, 1d20+8= 23
-Rolls: https://orokos.com/roll/948378
Pounce! has Tracking scent and can normally follow a trail at a base DC of 10, while moving at -1 speed (thus Speed 1). With the Athletics check she can keep pace while tracking. The Perception check would fail by one, but I'm not sure if Tracking Scent would modify that DC or not (or if Mind can use his aerial perspective to help guide her pursuit via Aid action). Not really guaranteed to improve that roll even with an HP, so I'll wait for feedback before resorting to that.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Scout
HP: 1, LP: 2, Condition: Fine

Hearing Shaper D'Tan speak through Mind in his head once again brings great relief to Scout. He slows his pace a bit, not trying to push for maximum speed, but continues his journey back to where the others are.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Craze
HP: 0
CND: Fine

With the rogues fleeing, Craze wasn't too interested in pursuing them. The Shaper had requested some spies, but the Mind seemed to have it well in hand. Crazes focus was on his wounded Shaper, first. Next of course checking out those ruins. Focus though.

Flying next to D'Tan, Craze offers his neck which is carrying the healing powder to D'Tan. "This powder may help heal you faster.", offers up Craze. It was a gift to him, but he knew D'Tan was hurt and the Shaper came first. Without his guidance, life would be a lot more fun, but also less fulfiling.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

The Mind and Pounce head out, soon disappearing into the brush and sea of trees. It is rough going. Pounce notices that right away. Without Meat Shield clearing a trail to follow the vegetation threatens to bog her down and slow her pursuit. The Mind for their part, is not so hindered, as it is able to fly between the dense canopy and thorny brush below. They sense Minds in the forest. Most simple and unintelligent. Not enough for the Rogue Fyora to conceal themselves amongst effectively, but the raptor-like creatures' minds are slippery and hard to follow.

Back at the scene of the conflict D'Tan's harsh gaze remains fixed in the direction the Rogues had fled in. His brow furrowed. Jaw clenched. When Mea Shield and Craze approach him he turns to them. Gradually the negative emotion in his demeanor faded.

"You did well enough. I'm alive and mobile. We all are."

The young Shaper's dark eyes shifted to the avian as they landed and stuck out their neck. A small smile curved at the corner of D'Tan's lips.

"Thank you Craze. Best to save that for a moment of serious need. Bring Scout up to speed. Once Shield is done we'll move to join up with them."

As he offered directions D'Tan unbuttoned his jacket, then pealed it off. His dark shirt soon followed. Both articles of clothing were set hung on a tree branch. With the clothes out of the way D'Tan's lithe torso was exposed. There wasn't a lot of meat on him. His skin was fair and lacking the sun's touch. Now, however, there were burns on his chest. Heat that had filtered through his resilient jacket. Whatever pain he felt wasn't voiced.

OOC wrote:If Mind and Pounce are following the Fyora with Stealth in mind, make Stealth checks. If they are also moving at full Speed the check receives a -5 circumstance penalty. Otherwise they are at -1 to their speed rank. This applies to Flight as well as ground speed.

Normally moving through this thorny and dense brush puts you at speed rank -1. Pounce may make an Athletics check DC 15 to try to overcome this. The check is for overcoming an obstacle, not increasing her Speed. It merely won't go down if she succeeds.

Mind may make a Team/Aid check to support Pounce's Tracking instead performing their own separate search. Using Scent over Sight won't affect the check, as there are ways they can mask their scent as they go. However, since the Fyora don't have any cover against Mental senses, the DC for the Mind will be 19, if they make their own search and do not Aid Pounce.

Meat Shield, you don't have any medical supplies or tools. This means you operate at -5 to your Treatment checks. If you fail the check by three degrees or more you will end up hurting D'Tan.

If you have Expertise Survival or Expertise Plants, you my make a check to source materials that could assist in a Treatment check. Craze as well as Scout may take part in this as long as he is looped in. One person may lead, and the others perform a Team check. A Team check is like an Aid Action, except those people performing the Team check add their degrees of success and failure together to determine the bonus granted to the person leading the roll. One degree is still +2 to the lead roll and three degrees of success is +5. Two or more degrees of failure is -2 to the lead roll.

Notes wrote: D'Tan [Heroic NPC ; -2 Dmg Res]
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Meat Shield

Meat Shield looks at the Shaper's burns and cringes a little more at this sign of their failure. Then they seem to gather themselves and look around at the others.

"Can anyone see any plants that might help treat our Shaper?" Meat Shield asks the others a little hesitantly, looking around themselves to see if there is anything useful in the vicinity.
OOC wrote: Meat Shield forages for medical supplies (Expertise: Survival +1): 1D20+1 = [1]+1 = 2

Well, that's not good. This deadly nightshade is exactly what the Shaper needs to get well. Eat all of it! Rub it on too! :shock:

I suspect I should wait to see the outcome of this and what Craze and Scout do before making any Treatment rolls...
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Craze

Craze nods when D'Tan says to hold off on the healing powder. While the others were quickly trained up for survival or a more rugged task, Craze as best he could tell was the diplomat and sometimes scout. As such, his attempts at finding any useful plants to aid in the healing proved futile. On top of that , with just a beak and talons he wasn't even sure if he was useful in that regard. Still, if directed to help with something he was capable was more than happy to oblige.
Since Craze doesn't have expertise in any nature based skills not sure if he can roll to aid. If he can, I can edit the post accordingly.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The Mind
HP: 2, Condition: 1 injury

Letting pounce take the lead on these matters, the Mind floated above the treeline while feeling out the tell-tale pings of other minds. Whenever it felt like it'd felt something, it gently urged Pounce in that direction to verify.

Perception aid check: 18
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

When Craze didn't update Scout on the situation D'Tan's brow furrowed at the distracted avian as he bounced and flapped about trying to help Meat Shield find something for the burn wounds. But not knowing what to look for. With a soft sigh the young Shaper sent a message over the mental network to the impish Creation.

"Scout, we were set upon by Rogues. They have been fought off, but some remain alive and active. Pounce and Mind are tracking them now. The rest of us will meet up with you. Mind and I sustained burn wounds. If you find anything that may help enroute, be sure to gather a supply."

While the Shaper informed Scout of the situation Meat Shield and Craze had found a plant with three leaves that possessed jagged edges. Recalling a D'Tan told them about a three leafed plant bringing good fortune, it seemed to them they this would be good for helping to heal. As they brought it over to D'Tan and prepared to rush it against his burn, the Shaper stopped them with a raised hand.

"Shield ... that is poison oak. Exposure to it can cause a rash with extreme itching and blistering. "

Despite the fact Meat Shield had almost rubbed poison on his already burnt skin, the Shaper's voice was corrective, a teacher pointing out a mistake. Still, after this warning the Shaper put his shirt and jacket back on.

"Let's focus on regrouping with Scout."

The Mind finds it difficult to fly to high. They manage to get above the tree line, but if they try to go much higher it feels as though a pressure is pushing them down again. Confining and limiting them. The canopy is also so dense that the only thing they can perceive below at sounds and minds.

Pounce got a good whiff of the Fyora. She recognized their scent now. They got a good lead on her to begin with. They must have been doing something to cover their trail, both in the markings they left behind and the odor that was left in their wake, because it was difficult to follow their trail. But Mind was able to point out minds that gave her clues into their were about. Some of the minds were in odd places. Up in trees. Under her, inside logs. These didn't make sense, and Pounce was able to eliminate them, narrowing down on her marks: they Fyora.

Initially the Rogue had ran off to the South East, but gradually they looped back, moving North West once more. In the direction of the buildings Scout had found.

OOC wrote:Craze does not have any Skills that would apply here. Kensiedo, is Scout going to try to help find something to treat injuries?

Still need an Athletics check to determine how fast Pounce is moving, but with the Mind's help she is able to follow the Rogue Fyora.

Meat Shield's Regeneration would cause them to recover quickly from poison oak exposure. If you want to play out any short term rash or blistering, that is up to you.

Notes wrote: D'Tan [Heroic NPC ; -2 Dmg Res]
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Scout
HP: 1, LP: 2, Condition: Fine

Hearing Shaper D'Tan's voice in his head fills Scout with joy. But hearing of the burns causes him distress. He had been too far away from Shaper D'Tan to aid him. Even though he was following Shaper D'Tan's orders, he still feels like he failed him.

But he was immediately given a chance for redemption. Something to help with the burns. He takes some time on his route back to the others to find some plants that should help with the burns on Shaper D'Tan.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Pounce!
HP: 2; LP: 0; Condition: Bruised -1

Pounce! kept pushing through the underbrush in pursuit of the rogues. She was grateful for the extra guidance that Mind provided, and she tried to remember the training that the Shaper had given her in the early days- this was nothing like hunting ornks! As the trail led her onwards, she realized that they were heading towards the buildings they had seen earlier- such shelter would make excellent nesting space. While the underbrush was thick, between her color-shifting pelt and a natural light-footedness it would be difficult to keep track of her passage

>OOC:
-Athletics check was in the earlier post- I'm sorry if my phrasing for the intent was unclear (roll was 28); with that, she would be able to keep her normal Speed of 2, reduced to 1 from her Tracking
-I'll add a Stealth check, but at -5 as she does not want to slow down further, 1d20+9-5= 22, roll https://orokos.com/roll/948588
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Meat Shield

Meat Shield arrives back at the Shaper at a run, enthusiatic to have found something that could help him get better. Then when the Shaper points out that it is fact worse than useless their face falls and they look down at the ground in a shame-faced way. They immediately throw the poison oak away.

"I am sorry, o Shaper, I have failed you again," they tell him sadly as they rub their hands clean of the poison oak taint on the grass. "Please forgive me."

"Which way should we go?"
OOC wrote: Given their high Fortitude I think there's a chance Meat Shield didn't even notice the exposure to poison oak!

Meat Shield Fortitude Check vs Poison Oak: 1D20+9 = [14]+9 = 23

From the RAW that's more than enough to resist cobra venom, mustard gas and chlorine gas, so a bit of poison oak may not even register as more than a brief tingle, if that...
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Craze

On the note of regrouping with Scout, Craze takes off to the air to find him. "Scout was far ahead. I will go and see if I can find him for you.", says Craze. He knew the general direction Scout was taking and it lead to the buildings, which was where he wanted to go anyway.

On the sound of someone saying what is the direction to head, Craze slowed down his flight. Even if he met up with Scout the others might already be gone. So, he waited. Jittery, but waiting.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

When Meat Shield asks which direction Scout was in, the Shaper raised his right hand and pointed towards the North West. His head then turned to watch Craze fly ahead of them, volunteering to find Scout ... and leave Meat Shield and their Shaper behind.

"Don't forget what just happened Craze. We are in an area occupied by hostile Rogues. Spreading ourselves thin makes us more vulnerable to attacks. You may venture ahead of Meat Shield and I, but don't go too far."

The young Shaper, as before, didn't put any effort to accelerate their progress through the thick brush. Instead leaving the physical labor to Meat Shield. Instead he continually looked around them, ever watchful.

Scout slows his pace in order to source materials for tending to the group's burn wounds. In his foraging he finds some leaves to serve as bandages, vine to secure the leaves, some berries are picked that he knew would help fight infection, and he also collects sap from a tree that he learned would soothe burns. All in all a productive harvest. After bundling these things together in a improvised package Scout sets off to meet up with Shaper D'Tan. Craze, and Meat Shield.

In perhaps ten minutes to four are together once more. Craze, flying ahead of the trio, being the first to encounter Scout. Behind him is the thrashing and crashing of Meat Shield cleaving a trail through the thorny brush.

Further afield Pounce is on the hunt with the Mind acting as an airborne spotter. They move at a quick clip, but Pounce is mindful of not giving her position away. At one point notices the tracks going off into three directions. One set heading each, another West, and the third continuing on North towards the buildings Scout had mentioned. The building remain out of sight, are perhaps half a mile away at this point.

OOC wrote:Is the Mind making any effort at Stealth?

With supplies from Scout Meat Shield will be able to make a Treatment check without a -5 penalty. Scout can't carry much on his own, but he'll be able to point out the plants to others.