[OOC] NPC Investigations-Tales From The Junior Associates (Case 1-Nora de Santos)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EternalPhoenix

Re: [OOC] NPC Investigations-Tales From The Junior Associates (Recruitment still open during Prologue, 1 slot available)

Post by EternalPhoenix »

jmucchiello wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:04 pm What is today's date? How long since NYE? And are there company cars or do we need our own transit?
EternalPhoenix wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:41 pm Wednesday, January 2, 2019. Morning. New York City. Greenwich Village. NPC Brownstone.
No company cars. It's NYC, cabs, buses, and the subway go everywhere. Or so pop culture tells me. :sweat_smile:
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
jmucchiello

Re: [OOC] NPC Investigations-Tales From The Junior Associates (Recruitment still open during Prologue, 1 slot available)

Post by jmucchiello »

Depends on where they live. "NYC" is a big place and not every part of it is Manhattan.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

According to Google, getting from Greenwich Village to their address (in the Tremont neighborhood of the South Bronx) would take approximately an hour by subway. A little faster by car, but I figure you could always run into traffic that way and end up slower. Especially during rush hour, oh man.

To be clear, unless you decide to leave it, the case takes place entirely in the South Bronx. I'm not going to have you bouncing all over the city anyway, generally speaking. :mrgreen:

A quick edit: Also, it's mostly comics? Characters travel at the speed of plot, with shorter distances (like the ones inside a city, even one as big as New York) being almost entirely irrelevant.
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

The only saving grace is this isn't a game of people in tights. Seeing a bunch of costumed supers in a subway would be amusing.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

jmucchiello wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:50 pm The only saving grace is this isn't a game of people in tights. Seeing a bunch of costumed supers in a subway would be amusing.
Ha. Can you imagine? The Avengers in full costume on the subway? :lol:

But more seriously, don't just fuss with me. None of you thought to buy a car or a movement power with your points. Like I said, I'll work with all of your abilities and not against them, but you know. Still. :P
Commander Titan

Post by Commander Titan »

I live in the city in question, though I've hardly traveled all of it, so happy to field any out-of-character questions about travel times while simultaneously totally going along with whatever works plotwise!
Current Setting Projects:
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:55 pm
OOC wrote:Just because I'm paranoid, rolling to quickly check the documents. Investigate (examine documents): 1D20+4 = [18]+4 = 22
I let it go once before, but please place all OOC comments, questions, and rolls here. It's what the thread is for. Thank you.

Anyway. There's only one page written on in the folder. It's like, you know, a form for logging initial information at the receptionist desk. So, it has everything James just said written in it, plus the address and names of Nora's parents, Jorge and Camila De Santos. The rest is a couple of blank sheets marked "Case Notes" at the top.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

EternalPhoenix wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:17 pm I let it go once before, but please place all OOC comments, questions, and rolls here. It's what the thread is for. Thank you.
Ah, sorry. I didn't know you had that policy, so I just went with the usual board behavior. :mrgreen:
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:24 pm
EternalPhoenix wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:17 pm I let it go once before, but please place all OOC comments, questions, and rolls here. It's what the thread is for. Thank you.
Ah, sorry. I didn't know you had that policy, so I just went with the usual board behavior. :mrgreen:
Less of a policy, more how I'm used to doing it now. A nice sharp line between the two. All neat and clean like. It's just...really nice, says my OCD. :mrgreen:
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Hopefully, it's kosher with you, but I'm going to try to use her Well-Informed Feat (descriptor being animal gossip) to see if there's anything immediate in the grapevine, and then asking her animal buddies to see what else is known in a more in-depth search. If you'd prefer, you could make the latter one a "locate person" check as per the skill description. I tried to leave things vague enough to let you take it whichever direction you'd like information to flow.

FWIW, as per the note that regular Gather Info checks may attract attention, people may notice an increase in animals in areas of interest, although unless they talk to animals themselves, they may not know why.

Gather Information (Well-Informed, regular): 1D20+18 = [6]+18 = 24
1D20+18 = [8]+18 = 26
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

You'll have to be more specific. What are you asking about?
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

EternalPhoenix wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:14 pm You'll have to be more specific. What are you asking about?
My intent was general information as per Gather Information, "a feel for the major news and rumors in an area". In the first case, I'm using the idea of Well-Informed being "things I've heard about" this subject I've just encountered filtered through that it's actual the animal companions who chatter on about things they've seen. In the second case, it's a more concerted effort of using my network to gather information. If you need a specific subject (as per getting more than General), specifically looking for information about her disappearance.

More or less, I'm trying to figure out if anyone out there has been talking about Nora de Santos, whether it's her disappearance (maybe rumors of her hanging around with a weird pale-skinned boy none of her friends knew) or someone saying "Hey, I saw her by the dock yesterday... funny because she wasn't at school yesterday". Or, if you're using the "find person" feature of Gather Information, specifically looking to figure out who's seen her where, if anyone.

:-D Of course, feel free to tell me that she's too obscure a person for anyone to really known anything and/or that the difficulty is boosted due to obscurity or someone trying to tamp down info. I'm not looking to pre-emptively solve any mystery, just trying to be able to quickly prove herself useful by getting some information not on the sheets.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Yeah, that's more specific all right. :sweat_smile:

Forgive me not initially understanding. The disappearance of Nora de Santos doesn't qualify as major or even minor news yet. And asking about one random teenage girl from the South Bronx in the middle of Manhattan is, uh, well. Basically she's too obscure, especially in your current location. You do, however, get the feeling that trying again by her home may produce better results. May, as in it's possible but not guaranteed. For context, there wasn't any school yesterday, as it was New Year's Day. Commander Titan can correct me if I'm wrong, but there shouldn't have been any school days since just before Christmas. That's how it works in The Land of Mary, anyway. It would also help if you got a picture from her parents, as you don't have one right now.
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

I apologize for my tardiness. I've been in the hospital since Monday morning. Posting as soon as I get the time, just an update.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Miracle wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:03 pm I apologize for my tardiness. I've been in the hospital since Monday morning. Posting as soon as I get the time, just an update.
Hospitalization is something one should never have to apologize for, sibling. One's health ought to take precedence over everything else in life. It doesn't always work out that way, unfortunately, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.