Avatar Legends: Ash & Steel [OOC thread]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: Avatar Legends: Ash & Steel [OOC thread]

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

With a friend here, certainly.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:45 am This will probably be a Bad Habits move for me what with the trespassing, dare-devilry of taunting the fire nation, and the thieving. Unless Rainbow says otherwise, of course.
As long as it doesn't get too disruptive. Remember you do have a mission where keeping a low profile is a high priority, so each time Li indulges in this, it tempts fate and invites danger that could get you all in trouble. There is little subtlety in going out of the way to mess with threats you don't *need* to interact with.
Vivid wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:34 am What would be a good Master condition on the Ground Shift technique?
Given the context of translating an earthbending technique into waterbending, i'll have to think about it. I'm not sure it could be something in the scope of this adventure. The two styles are very different, with waterbending being flowing and earthbending hard and unyielding. I'm thinking something ice-related. That's honestly how I see making the most sense replicating the technique in the first place, freezing the water in the ground and giving it a hard jerk to make it shake. I am open to suggestions however.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Gunmetal_Rainbow wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:04 am
As long as it doesn't get too disruptive. Remember you do have a mission where keeping a low profile is a high priority, so each time Li indulges in this, it tempts fate and invites danger that could get you all in trouble. There is little subtlety in going out of the way to mess with threats you don't *need* to interact with.
True, true. Shall I roll now or later?
------------
Gunmetal_Rainbow

As for Li's plan, you're not going to convince them it's animal territory, the camp's been there a while. You might try a small camp fire to make some smoke they can notice and go investigate, but they aren't going to send the whole sentry camp to go check it out, nor will the whole camp be simultaneously distracted by it.

To net the whole camp in a distraction, you'll need a more encompassing distraction that will force them to pay attention, but also keep in mind potential consequences. They could consider it acts of the town and retaliate accordingly, or discover your group and put more pressure on your mission. Just things to consider. You know, if the dice don't agree with you.

Depending on what you ultimately decide on for a plan, it'll most likely be rely on skills and training, you do have the outlaw background after all. But anything that's just really "out there" will likely be pushing your luck. So, you'll have to sort out exactly what you're doing, then I'll let you know which roll to make.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Minnow can do the distraction. She has Outlaw and Wilderness backgrounds. Just what do you want her to do?
Gunmetal_Rainbow

I feel like that question was more intended for Mal, right?
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Gunmetal_Rainbow wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:44 pm I feel like that question was more intended for Mal, right?
Oh, yes!
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Oh, and just to be clear about my previous post about the plan, I'm not trying to dissuade shenanigans. I just want said shenanigans to be informed. Trying to convince the soldiers that they are in a camp that's been there probably for quite some time, that suddenly they have failed to realize it's an animal's territory isn't a great plan, and it might be entirely within character to not even realize that and go with it anyways, and that's perfectly fine.

Big element of Avatar Legends is "play to find out", but also encourages open communication from the GM to the players about things so the players can make their best choices.

So, if you want to go with the animal noises to try and convince the squad of fire nation soldiers (which isn't a huge group by the way. maybe 6 or so in the camp with an officer probably hidden in one of the tents, either doing reports, or napping) then you most certainly may, but that's for sure gonna be "Pushing your luck" :)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Vivid wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:21 pm
Gunmetal_Rainbow wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:44 pm I feel like that question was more intended for Mal, right?
Oh, yes!
Honestly with the potential ramifications, I'm wondering if maybe Minnow should be trying to convince him to reign himself in instead. Rainbow made some really good points. :?
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Just to check, is there a big source of water nearby? Most long-term camps will want a source of water nearby. That could be a resource. Otherwise, setting fires are a classic. Firebenders can't auto smother fires can they?
"Something pithy this way comes."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Certainly there can be a creek or river nearby.

As for putting out flames, my research shows it's "feasible", but not a commonly known skill, and may possibly be limited in just how much fire can be extinguished. Keeping in mind, I mean natural flames. A firebender can extinguish their own flames by cutting off their chi flow to it. There are also many examples of firebenders disrupting the firebending of others by sort of...counter-bending it? I honestly think it's more about disrupting the chi flow of the other firebender's flames.

But, it seems there are very few examples in canon that display the ability to extinguish natural flames (or things that have been ignited by firebending, but are not being maintained by the firebender), and even at least one where Avatar Korra is like, right there and does not put out the fires with firebending, though in that instance, it's speculated the flames were simply too large to be snuffed out that way, leading to the theory of extinguishing flames being limited by how big the flames are.

Bit of a long-winded answer, but put plainly, it's theoretically possible, but I'd consider it like a rare technique.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:43 pm Honestly with the potential ramifications, I'm wondering if maybe Minnow should be trying to convince him to reign himself in instead. Rainbow made some really good points. :?
This is entirely Li's thing. What do you want to have happen, Malsyn?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Reversed, actually. This is my thinking, while Li probably wants her to cause some sportive distractionm. Perhaps with waterbending perhaps something else.
------------
Gunmetal_Rainbow

If I'm reading into this right, Li wants to do the thing and cause some mayhem without much thought to the possible consequences and wants Minnow's help.

Mal on the other hand recognizes it's probably not a great idea and would like Minnow to talk Li out of it, if it makes sense for Minnow to have that clarity of possible consequences, which is wholly up to you Vivid.

You do what you think will be more interesting. Far as I'm concerned, you know there are consequences and what those potential consequences are, so if you chose to move forward with it, we'll see what the dice say!
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

It could be a momment for growth whatever the case may be I think.
------------