Avatar Legends: Ash and Steel [Roleplay thread]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Re: Avatar Legends: Ash and Steel [Roleplay thread]

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Onomu pauses as if stunned for a moment, looking at Zumu Yin, a calculating look on her face. It's not a "how can I pull one over on this one" kind of look, but more of a "reassessing" expression. It seems she is realizing she vastly underestimated Zumu, and is considering how much she may be underestimating Li and Minnow by extension. "You...would know an appropriate Earth Kingdom name better than I... I'll go along with whatever you choose." she inclines her head respectfully.

Whatever she thought of Earth Kingdom residents, Zumu's forcing her to realize she'd underestimated even you three may be the forming of a ripple that could become a wave of re-evaluating the Earth Kingdom as a whole. But for now, Zumu Yin has earned at least some modicum of respect from the ex-general.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Minnow, Li, input?" Zumu Yin asks.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Li
Fatigue: 5 - Conditions: None
Balance: <Friendship> -1/+1 <Survival> (Center: 0)

Shaking his head, "I've never been that good at names. Everything I can think up right now are guys name."
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Minnow
Fatigue(unmarked): 5
Conditions: None
Balance: <Excellence> -1/+1 <Community> (Center: 0)

At the notion of this... Fire Nation general pretending to be her mother Minnow grew very quiet. The apple felt like sawdust in her mouth with no much better taste. She forces herself to swallow the under-chewed lumps and felt their burning scrape all the way down.

"My mother's name was 'Xia'. It means 'glow of the sunrise'. Fire Nation forces killed her, just a few months ago." she says, very softly. Her demeanor was not it's customary bubbly, lackadaisical mood in the face of the memories that she'd lost her parents, and sensei (though she didn't know the woman too well, {not that that should matter}), just a season ago. "So... not 'Xia'." she says.

"I'm going to scout." assuming they are far enough from the village and no one else is around, Minnow will summon jets of water erupting from her sleeves like reverse geysers. They'll propel the teen into the trees, jetting from branch to branch and quickly becoming obscured in the foliage.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Li

Cringing, "Ah, monkeyfeathers." Somehow, he'd forgotten that Minnow wasn't always on her own like he was.
------------
Gunmetal_Rainbow

The group has not yet left the village proper, and Minnow doesn't get too far ahead before a highly recognizable, and troublesome, group of Earth Nation rebels comes riding into town on their ostrich horses.

Zumu will easily recognize the Armadillo-Bears by their famous (or infamous depending on one's point of view) leader, Ben Ta, and her second in command, the level-headed Rameh. Li and Minnow may also have heard of them, and normally, seeing them is far from a bad thing. The group is a mobile force of freedom fighters, focused on the protection of destitute towns, always on the move in order to be where they are needed most. Though Zumu may also know they have been known to use Xiadi as a base from time to time. They are not the greatest warriors of the Earth Kingdom by any means. In fact, one to one, they are not equal to a Fire Nation soldier. They do make up for it in their numbers, loyalty and sheer willpower. They fight because they have to, and they refuse to lose because that means innocent people could be hurt.

This is where things get tricky. They have no reason to be in Tuyadi right now. There is no fight here. And Ben Ta looks like she's on the war path even with her trusted second-in-command speaking calmly next to her trying to maintain some level of peace. Zumu is the most likely to know that Ben Ta came from a village whose fate is a common enough story. Fire Nation took over, putting down any resistance with harsh efficiency, and then bled the village dry of food, medicine and supplies as they were "commandeered" for the war effort. Ben Ta's elderly mother died some time after, and she and her father pin the blame solely on the medicine shortage and the Fire Nation for causing it.

The Armadillo-Bears are not coming directly towards your group, but it seems they are questioning people as they progress and will pass alongside your group with time. As Minnow is furthest up ahead, she is able to catch that they are looking for a "Fire Nation defector" that they've heard is in town. While Ben Ta looks ready to tear the head off an actual armadillo-bear, the rest of her team is more genial, firm in their questioning, but showing reasonable respect and restraint with the citizens. Insisting to looking inside places, but not viciously flipping the place upside-down looking for the "defector".

Their progress is not swift, so you have time to act, but not much. Also, you are roughly in their line of sight, particularly Ben Ta and Rameh who are leading and keeping a sharp eye out. So whatever you do, it will have to subtle and quick.
Tell me in in the OOC what you would like to do, and I'll tell you what move you'll need to make and what to roll than you can post your IC with the ultimate effect.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Zumu Yin
Balance: <Experience> +1/-1 <Humility> (Center: 0)

Zumu also cringes at her own insensitivity over the proposed cover story.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Minnow

Minnow's dour mood was tamped down by force of will as she saw the riders come in. She was already separated from the others so she skipped up excitedly to the riders, approaching the leader. "Pardon, Ma'am. I saw a suspicious man on the Southern side of town. It may have been the defector you are looking for. I can show you." she volunteers. "I've... never ridden on one of these before." she says putting a hesitant hand toward Ben's riding beast.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Li

He vrimmaced when he saw the men and woman make their sudden approach, but relaxed a little once Minnow went over to the. Taking hold of the general by her left shoulder, Li started guiding her in a different direction. "Don't move to fast, don't look at them, let's just go browse this nice flower stand for a little bit while we wait for them to be more distracted."
------------
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Ben Ta turns her looks down to Minnow, and frankly it is kind of intimidating to see what lurks in her eyes, especially when the young waterbender mentions what might be the defector, though Minnow detects a slight hint of disappointment as well. She reaches down to hoist Minnow up onto her mount. "Point the way. Armadillo-bears, with me!"

The other members of the Armadillo-bears mount up to follow Ben Ta to where Minnow points, though Rameh holds position to make sure the others mobilize, watching with a critical eye. It also gives Zumu an opportunity to speak to the man if she wants.

Onomu ducks her head down so the cloak covers her face as Li guides her off to the side of the way in front of a little flower stall for the moment.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Li

Honestly, Li felt sportive proud to see his one friend out here take the iniative like that. He didn't really think she had it in her, but there she goes proving him wrong once again. Part of him felt tempted to pick her up a gift while he wsa over here, but he dismissed that as being too weird. Instead he kept half an eye on the group while pretending to be tactically disinterested in shopping with his 'mother.'
------------
Gunmetal_Rainbow

As Ben Ta and the squad race towards where Minnow directs, Ben Ta leans towards Minnow, asking in a lower tone; "You're sure it was a man? Is there any chance it was a woman in an unflattering robe?"
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Minnow

"I definitely thought it was an older man but.... I didn't see the face clearly." she sounds very apologetic but trying to introduce doubt.

When they get to the Southern buildings she will direct them to a spot. "I was here. The figure was...." she excitedly runs to a corner where a roof gutter drains into a rain water collection barrel "... skulking around about..." The barrel suddenly erupts, the force of the expanding water inside breaking it apart and resulting in a fog, obscuring the young woman. Hopefully they'll think it's steam resulting from the attack of the 'dangerous firebender'.

With an uttered *EEEP!* Minnow disappears into the cloud using jets of water from her sleeves to manuever herself up and over the rooftops dropping several buildings away where she finds a couple of ostritch-horses, their owners having dismounted to better search. Minnow inwardly tsks; she can't help another small bit of mischief and pulls out a parchment, the ink arranging itself at her direction into blocky letters. Unattended mounts shall be towed away at owner's expense. Regulation 347.M3 . She posts the notice by where the ostrich-horses were and... though they didn't have these particular kinds of creatures in the rural outskirts of the Northern Nation where she grew up, she was no stranger to handling animals or mounts. [Wilderness background]

Riding, and guiding a second laden mount, she departs to find her friends (perhaps aided by another disturbance elsewhere).
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Zumu Yin
Fatigue: 4 - Conditions: None
Balance: <Experience> +1/-1 <Humility> (Center: 0)

Zumu goes to the edge of the open dining area, an old woman toddling along. She doesn't particularly try to be noticed but she's not slinking in the shadows either. Anyone who happens to see her will see her take sharp inhales of breath twice, her nose crinkling with each intake, before finally sneezing with a stomp. The ground upheaves in a concentric wave knocking over empty chairs and likely illiciting cries from those caught in the brief, non-damaging earth shake.

She wipes her nose and toddles off. When she reaches a point where she's unseen she'll hurry away to rejoin the others trusting the distraction was well utilized by her sharp protege.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Li

His compatriots really did know how to pull off a distraction, he'd think to himself. He'll have to ask later when things were safe just what exactly they'd done. In the meantime, he gave the general a nudge, "Did you hear that? Maybe we should get moving, I don't want us to be caught up by dangerous brigands..."
------------