Builds on the Sun (Xin Yan the Breaker)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
RainOnTheSun

Re: Builds on the Sun (Size-Shifter)

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Art by Brian Snoddy. Or Matt Wilson. I think.

MECHANITHRALL, PL 5

Strength 2, Stamina -, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 3, Intellect -2, Awareness 0, Presence -2
* -4 points

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4), Perception 2 (+2), Stealth 2 (+3) * 3 points

Powers:
Steamfists - Strength-based Damage 3, Accurate, Power Attack, Split Attack * 6 points

Undead - Immunity 40 (Fortitude effects, effects requiring a living brain), Protection 3 * 43 points

Offense:
Initiative +1
Steamfists +5 (Close Damage 5)

Defense:
Dodge +3, Parry +3, Toughness +3, Fortitude immune, Will +3 * 5 points

Total:Abilities -4 + Skills 3 + Powers 49 + Defenses 5 = 53 points

BRUTE THRALL, PL 7

Strength 2/4, Stamina -, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 4, Intellect -2, Awareness 0, Presence -2 * -2 points

Advantages:
Interpose * 1 point

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+5), Close Combat: Steamfist 1 (+5), Perception 2 (+2), Stealth 2 (+1) * 3 points

Powers:
Growth 2, Permanent, Innate: Strength +2, Toughness +2, Intimidation +1, Stealth -2, Dodge and Parry -1 * 5 points

Heavy Steamfists - Strength-based Damage 3, Accurate, Improved Critical 2, Power Attack, Split Attack * 8 points

Undead - Immunity 40 (Fortitude effects, effects requiring a living brain), Protection 5, Impervious Toughness 1 * 46 points

Offense:
Initiative +1
Heavy Steamfists +7 (Close Damage 7, 18-20)

Defense:
Dodge +3, Parry +3, Toughness +7, Fortitude immune, Will +2 * 5 points

Total: Abilities -2 + Advantages 1 + Skills 3 + Powers 59 + Defenses 5 = 66 points

Warmachine is a really neat looking game where wizards and monsters and robots all beat the crap out of each other. Unfortunately, I can't actually play it because I don't have space for models or a big game store to play it in, it's not that I don't have friends ha ha don't be silly, so I've looked into converting some of the units to Mutants and Masterminds. Hey, look! Steampunk zombie cyborgs! They punch you with big clunky piston fists!

Like that, but smaller.

In the game, these guys can attack twice, once with each fist, or do a single strong attack with both fists at once. Mutants and Masterminds doesn't like multiple attacks at all, so I tried to find another way of modeling it. It's a small effort for the reward of a zombie you can have a proper boxing match with.
Last edited by RainOnTheSun on Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
scc

Re: Builds on the Sun (Mechanithralls!)

Post by scc »

I really like this characters look and design.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

The Iron Kingdoms setting has a lot of neat things to play around with, it just has a game system that requires more time to mess around on Roll20 than I've got.

I've got plenty of time to mess around with making characters for Mutants and Masterminds, of course. You have to make time for that, right?
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

The D20 IK game was designed to work on the Open GL of D&D. The new IKRPG game plays exactly like MK2 of the miniature game (which is currently on MK3 with mk4 being a rumor) with some skills and character creation. The books are a facinating read for world building and history. the Miniature game... well.. as a former Pressganger, I will say that it is constantly changing and has a multifacited aspect to it. (there that was diplomatic...)

Mechanithralls are made by the dozens on the battle fields bu Cryx (the undead guys). They are as you'd expect, cannon fodder. IMHO not enough of the new IKRPG deals with the "villain" factions in the game.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I like to imagine these guys all talking like the Sniper from Team Fortress 2.

LONG GUNNER INFANTRY, PL 4

Strength 1, Stamina 1, Agility 1, Dexterity 2, Fighting 2, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 0
* 16 points

Advantages:
Equipment 4, Ranged Attack 1, Teamwork * 6 points

Equipment:
Repeating Long Gun - Ranged Multiattack Damage 5, Extended Range, 2-point Quirk: cannot use Multiattack extra and move in the same round * 14 ep
Sword - Strength-based Damage 2, Improved Critical * 3 ep
Body Armor - Protection 2 * 2 ep

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+3), Expertise: Soldier 3 (+3), Expertise: Tactics 3 (+3), Perception 4 (+5) * 6 points

Offense:
Initiative +1
Sword +2 (Close Damage 3, 19-20)
Repeating Long Gun +3 (Ranged Damage 5)

Defense:
Dodge +3, Parry +3, Toughness +3, Fortitude +3, Will +1 * 5 points

Total: Abilities 16 + Advantages 6 + Skills 6 + Defenses 5 = 33 points

Like Mechanithralls, Long Gunners come from Warmachine/Iron Kingdoms, but they're considerably less exotic, just being expert riflemen who wear funky goggles for some reason. They make heavy use of combined attacks to take down more powerful enemies, and I figured they should also be reasonably good scouts. I have a game on and off in a world where most rifles are bolt-action, but some are semi-automatic, and the way Long Gunners can get more shots off if they don't move is probably a good model for the semi-automatic rifles.
Last edited by RainOnTheSun on Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
RainOnTheSun

Re: Builds on the Sun (Long Gunner Infantry)

Post by RainOnTheSun »

They wanna keep us down, but they can't last
When we get up we're gonna kick your ass
Gonna keep on burnin', we always will
Other bands play, Manowar KILL

MAN-O-WAR BOMBARDIER, PL 6

Strength 2/4, Stamina 2/4, Agility 1, Dexterity 0, Fighting 1, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 0
* 12 points

Advantages:
Close Attack 5, Equipment 5, Ranged Attack 3, Teamwork * 14 points

Equipment:
Grenade cannon - Ranged Damage 7, Burst Area 5, Indirect * 20 ep
Chain blade - Strength-based Damage 2, Improved Critical 2 * 4 ep

Skills:
Expertise: Soldier 4 (+4), Expertise: Tactics 4 (+4), Intimidation 6 (+6/+7), Technology 2 (+2) * 8 points

Powers:
Man-o-War armor - 11 pp, Removable * 9 points
Growth 2
Protection 4 (Impervious 3)

Offense:
Initiative +1
Grenade cannon +3 (Ranged Damage 7, Burst Area 5)
Chain blade +6 (Close Damage 6, 18-20)

Defense:
Dodge +1/+0, Parry +1/+0, Toughness +2/+8, Fortitude +4/+6, Will +3 * 5 points

Total: Abilities 12 + Advantages 14 + Skills + 8 Powers 9 + Defenses 5 = 48 points

I absolutely love these guys. Man-o-war troopers lumber around in giant clunky steam-powered armor suits and carry huge, ridiculous weapons. Like Long Gunner Infantry, they use combined attacks to fight more powerful enemies. Unlike Long Gunner Infantry, more powerful enemies are in short supply, because they have robot suits and use grenade launchers with chainsaw bayonets.

Edit: Realized I set these guys' attack bonus just a little bit too high. Sigh. One of these days I'll get a build right on the first try.
Last edited by RainOnTheSun on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
scc

Post by scc »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:39 pm The Iron Kingdoms setting has a lot of neat things to play around with, it just has a game system that requires more time to mess around on Roll20 than I've got.

I've got plenty of time to mess around with making characters for Mutants and Masterminds, of course. You have to make time for that, right?
Yes I do. I should be building more myself. This is what I like about this site such a variety of builds.
slade the sniper

Post by slade the sniper »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:19 am Image

They wanna keep us down, but they can't last
When we get up we're gonna kick your ass
Gonna keep on burnin', we always will
Other bands play, Manowar KILL

MAN-O-WAR BOMBARDIER, PL 7

Strength 2/4, Stamina 2/4, Agility 1, Dexterity 0, Fighting 1, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 0
* 12 points

Advantages:
Close Attack 6, Equipment 5, Ranged Attack 3, Teamwork * 15 points

Equipment:
Grenade cannon - Ranged Damage 7, Burst Area 5, Indirect * 20 ep
Chain blade - Strength-based Damage 2, Improved Critical 2 * 4 ep

Skills:
Expertise: Soldier 4 (+4), Expertise: Tactics 4 (+4), Intimidation 6 (+6/+7), Technology 2 (+2) * 8 points

Powers:
Man-o-War armor - 11 pp, Removable * 9 points
Growth 2
Protection 4 (Impervious 3)

Offense:
Initiative +1
Grenade cannon +3 (Ranged Damage 7, Burst Area 5)
Chain blade +7 (Close Damage 6, 18-20)

Defense:
Dodge +1/+0, Parry +1/+0, Toughness +2/+8, Fortitude +4/+6, Will +3 * 5 points

Total: Abilities 12 + Advantages 15 + Skills + 8 Powers 9 + Defenses 5 = 49 points

I absolutely love these guys. Man-o-war troopers lumber around in giant clunky steam-powered armor suits and carry huge, ridiculous weapons. Like Long Gunner Infantry, they use combined attacks to fight more powerful enemies. Unlike Long Gunner Infantry, more powerful enemies are in short supply, because they have robot suits and use grenade launchers with chainsaw bayonets.
I was reallllllly hoping that your build would actually be the real Manowar! You know you want to! Death Metal Bards!

-STS
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

slade the sniper wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:07 am
I was reallllllly hoping that your build would actually be the real Manowar! You know you want to! Death Metal Bards!

-STS
Ha! Sorry, but I'm still in the "teach myself the game" phase right now. Most of the builds I put up are things I make while learning to model a power or a fighting style in the system.

As an apology, please accept an a capella rendition of Kings of Metal.

RIBBADIBBADIBBADIBBADIBBADIBBADIBBADIBBA
Sidious

Re: Builds on the Sun (Manowar, Manowar, livin' on the road)

Post by Sidious »

Will you be doing any Warjack builds?
slade the sniper

Apology accepted with a smile. As a funny aside, my wife loves Van Canto, but despises Manowar, so this is grrrrreat! Thank you.

-STS
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Sidious wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:40 am Will you be doing any Warjack builds?
Oh, definitely. Probably not a whole lot of them, but at least a few. I have some thoughts about how to convert a warcaster into M&M too, but they aren't solid yet.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

slade the sniper wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:28 am Apology accepted with a smile. As a funny aside, my wife loves Van Canto, but despises Manowar, so this is grrrrreat! Thank you.

-STS
NP. Oh, and, uh, welcome to the board! I'm actually pretty new here myself.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:42 am
Sidious wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:40 am Will you be doing any Warjack builds?
Oh, definitely. Probably not a whole lot of them, but at least a few. I have some thoughts about how to convert a warcaster into M&M too, but they aren't solid yet.
You may want to check out the 2nd ed Mecha & Manga book. Lots of good ideas in there that are easy enough to translate to 3rd edition.
slade the sniper

RainOnTheSun wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:43 am
slade the sniper wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:28 am Apology accepted with a smile. As a funny aside, my wife loves Van Canto, but despises Manowar, so this is grrrrreat! Thank you.

-STS
NP. Oh, and, uh, welcome to the board! I'm actually pretty new here myself.
I have actually been a lurker since Atomic Think Tank and have a LOT of M&M books, but never play it (it's D&D, Star Wars, Call of Cthulhu...and every once in a grrrrreat while, Rifts in my house). I mostly just read the builds because M&M is about 40 times better than Champions and 212 times better than GURPS. Plus, it is almost useable for other D20 games (if you squint and hold the books just right).

Anyway, strange to be finally posting after lurking for three iterations of the forums and 4+ years...especially for Manowar... Oh, well. Hi everyone :)

-STS