Builds on the Sun (Xin Yan the Breaker)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
RainOnTheSun

Re: Builds on the Sun (Really really big tank)

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Picture by In-Hyuk Lee.

ANDY WARHOL THE DESTROYER, PL 12

Strength 4/10, Stamina 12, Dexterity 2, Agility 6, Fighting 12, Intellect 1, Awareness 3, Presence 2
* 84 points

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Defense, Interpose, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge * 10 points

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+14), Intimidation 20 (+22), Perception 8 (+11), Ranged Combat: Ki 5 (+7), Stealth 4 (+10), Technology 5 (+6) * 24 points

Powers:
Afterimages - Partial Concealment vs all visual senses * 4 points

Flight 10, 1 Alternate Effect * 21 points
Speed 10, Quickness 10

Ki Techniques - 21 point array, 5 Alternate Effects * 26 points
Physical Augmentation - Enhanced Strength 6, Multiattack 10, Quirk: cannot use Covering Fire
Defensive Field - Immunity 20 (broad descriptor: energy, Limited to half effect), Impervious Toughness 11
Casual Blast - Ranged Damage 7, Accurate 5, Improved Critical 2
Sustained Barrage - Ranged Multiattack Damage 7, Distracting, Improved Critical 2
Full Power Blast - Ranged Damage 17, Distracting, Improved Critical 4
Destruction Wave - Damage 12 (Cone Area 2, Distracting, Tiring; Cone Area 3 on 9 ranks)

Force field projector and scanner - 20 pp, Removable * 16 points
Immunity 9: Critical hits, suffocation, all environmental conditions
Senses 3 - Darkvision, Extended Vision
Senses 5 - Detect life energy/"fighting power", Ranged, Acute, Extended 2
Senses 4 - Sight penetrates concealment, distracting
Ultimate Effort: Toughness saves

Offense:
Initiative +6
Unarmed +14 (Multiattack Damage 10)
Casual Blast +17 (Ranged Damage 7, crit. 18-20)
Sustained Barrage +17 (Ranged Multiattack Damage 7, crit. 18-20)
Full Power Blast +7 (Ranged Damage 17, crit. 16-20)

Defense:
Dodge +12, Parry +12, Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Will +12 * 15 points

Complications:
Collateral Damage - Andy can be tremendously destructive. Fortunately, he knows it, and generally tries to avoid using his biggest blasts in populated areas.
I Am The Hype - Andy firmly believes that he is the greatest warrior in the universe, and he continues to believe so in the face of all evidence to the contrary. He will confidently trash-talk people moments away from handing him his ass, and being defeated will dampen his self-confidence for, at best, a short period of time before he convinces himself he was tricked or cheated somehow.
Funny-Looking - Andy has bright red skin, long white hair, and horns. He also likes to wear cowboy hats.
Not From Around Here - Andy was a stranger to the earth in his own universe, let alone other universes.

Total: Abilities 84 + Advantages 10 + Skills 24 + Powers 67 + Defenses 15 = 200 points

Ann Duerhaal is part of the elite warrior caste of an alien race that acts as cosmic security forces and police. His warrior caste is very competitive, and when the Cosmic Coil gave him the opportunity to face challenges from other universes, he jumped at the chance to win fame and glory for himself that his fellow fighters could only dream of. He has occasionally been to planet earth, or at least an earth, and he was shocked to find that on earth Ann is not considered a masculine name. He also learned, however, that the name Ann Duerhaal sounds a lot like a celebrity named "Andy Warhol," and after making sure that Andy Warhol was an important and famous person, he started using that as his name around humans.

Like Peacekeeper, Andy here is a character I made for a PbP. As you can probably guess, the game was supposed to have a fairly lighthearted tone. I started with "what if Freeza's army tried to be the Green Lantern Corps?" and went from there.
RainOnTheSun

Re: Builds on the Sun (Andy Warhol the Destroyer)

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Mister, you can have this arm back once you've learned to be responsible with it.

LEXO-SKEL 5000, Power Level 9/Equipment Rank 19

Strength 10, Stamina -, Agility 0, Dexterity 2, Fighting 6, Intellect -, Awareness 0, Presence -
* -6 points

Powers:
Armor - Protection 5, Impervious Toughness 10 * 15 points

Feature - Radio communications * 1 point

Growth 6, Innate * 13 points

Immunity 30 (Fortitude effects) * 30 points

Jump-jets: Leaping 6 * 6 points

Weapons suite: 24-point array, 5 Effects * 28 points
Tri-barrel autocannon - Ranged Multiattack Damage 7, Improved Critical, Accurate 3 (2 ranks Limited to offsetting penalty to for attacking multiple targets)
Heavy cannon - Ranged Damage 10, Burst Area 4
Electric Field - Affliction 8 (Reaction to being touched, Limited Degree, Dazed, Stunned)
Bomb - Ranged Burst Area Damage 8
Flamethrower - Cone Area Damage 8 Linked to Cone Area Affliction 8 (Limited Degree 2, Extra Condition, Hindered and Impaired; suffocation descriptor)

Suggested Pilot Traits:
Close Attack 2 (+8), Ranged Attack 6 (+8), Vehicles 6 (+8), Fortitude 7, Will 7

Offense:
Initiative +0, Autocannon +10 (Ranged, Damage 7), Cannon +8 (Ranged, Damage 10), Unarmed +8 (Close, Damage 10)

Defense:
Dodge 4, Parry 4, Toughness 11 * 8 points

Abilities -6 + Powers 93 + Defenses 8 = 95

I'm uncomfortable making statistics for long-running comic characters. They're inconsistent by nature, and power levels change with the needs of the story, so the most I could ever do is "this is what these characters would be like if I ever put them into a game." And even that would depend on the needs of the game. Statting out a cartoon robot that gets into one real fight, though? Heck, I can do that.

So here's the Lexo-Skel 5000, the first thing the Bruce Timm animated Superman ever fought! It was designed by Lexcorp and stolen, with Lexcorp's help, to give Lex a nice payout from the Bad Fictional Country of Kaznia and to encourage the United States military to commission an even better battlesuit from him to replace it. Then Superman ripped its arms off and pushed it off a building. While the pilot was still inside!

As Superman's first fight, it's pretty good. It's got a lot of neat looking, varied weapons, and the show establishes how Superman's invulnerability is going to be handled. He doesn't casually walk through attacks- even the Lexo-Skel's autocannon can knock him around and drive him back. He just always gets back up. In the end, the battlesuit wraps a car around him, drops a building on him, and sets the rubble on fire, and it still doesn't work.

Actually, I take that back. It's a great fight.

The Lexo-Skel's autocannon is good for cleaning up infantry and minions- it can shoot four targets at once without taking an attack penalty. The electric field is handy in situations where the battlesuit's size works against it and its pilot can't bring any of its weapons to bear. And the flamethrower... well, it didn't really do much against Superman. But it's my understanding that asphyxiation is a major part of what makes flamethrowers so dangerous, and I had some spare points for it, so I threw that in.
RainOnTheSun

Re: Builds on the Sun (The Lexo-Skel 5000)

Post by RainOnTheSun »

273 power points. I feel weirdly guilty.

GRAVITAR, PL 14

Strength 5, Stamina 5, Dexterity 4, Agility 4, Fighting 8, Intellect 4, Awareness 4, Presence 5
* 68 points

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit 5 (Billionaire), Inventor, Languages 3 (English, Japanese, Russian; French native), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4 * 15 points

Skills:
Expertise: Science 4 (+8), Expertise: High Culture 5 (+9), Expertise: Superhumans 2 (+6), Expertise: World Traveler 5 (+9), Perception 2 (+6), Ranged Combat: Gravity Powers 6 (+14), Stealth 2 (+6), Technology 4 (+8) * 15 points

Powers:
Create 14 * 28 points

Enhanced Strength 2, Limited to lifting * 2 points

Flight 6, 2 ranks Distracting * 10 points

Gravitic Manipulation - Move Object 7 (3 tons) * 14 points

Gravitic Powers - 27 point array, 8 Effects * 34 points
Enhanced Gravitic Manipulation - Move Object 13 (25,000 tons total), Precise
Gravitic Blast I - Ranged Damage 13, Precise
Gravitic Blast II - Ranged Damage 11, Indirect 4, Precise
Gravitic Blast III - Ranged Damage 9 Linked to Move Object 9, Limited Direction
Selective Weight Alteration - Ranged Damage 6, Fortitude Save, Secondary Effect, Accurate 3
Gravitic Drag - Ranged Affliction 13 (Resisted and Overcome by Strength; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobilized), Precise
Gravitic Drag Field - Burst Area Affliction 13 (Resisted and Overcome by Strength; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobilized)
Gravitic Pulse - Burst Area Damage 9 Linked to Close Burst Area Move Object 9, Limited Direction
Gravitic Point Defense - Deflect 9, Limited to physical projectiles

Gravity Strengthening/Reversal Field - Burst Area 2 Move Object 12, Limited Direction * 36 points

Gravitic Shield - Sustained Impervious Protection 14 (6 ranks have the Fades flaw) * 22 points

Movement 1 - Environmental Adaptation (Zero Gravity) * 2 points

Senses 6 (Gravitic Awareness: Accurate, Acute, Analytical, Radius, Ranged) * 6 points

Offense:
Initiative +4
Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 5)
Gravitic Blast +14 (Ranged Damage 13)
Gravitic Drag +14 (Ranged Affliction 13)

Defense:
Dodge 9, Parry 9, Toughness 5 to 19, Fortitude 11, Will 13 * 21 points

Complications:
Negative Reputation - Infamous villainess.
Overconfidence - Maybe somewhat justified.
Prejudice - Mutant.
Secret Identity - Gravitar is actually French billionaire Erica d'Monstressart (that's not how the apostrophe is supposed to work), who discovered growing up that she had superpowers and decided to see if she could conquer the world. No, seriously, that's her backstory.
Temper - Gravitar gets mad when people don't take her seriously.

Total: Abilities 68 + Advantages 15 + Skills 15 + Powers 154 + Defenses 21 = 273 points

Gravitar is one of my favorite characters in the Champions setting. She doesn't have a burning thirst for vengeance or an ideology she wants to bend the world to; she's just somebody who always got everything she wanted until what she wanted was everything. She refuses to use the wealth of her secret identity to raise an army or build a power base, just because she wants to beat the world singlehandedly. It's an impossible goal, even for someone as strong as her, but she either doesn't realize that or doesn't care. Either way, whenever she rears her head, every superhero for miles around will probably come to try and stop her... which gives more subtle villains opportunities to put all sorts of plans into motion while everyone is distracted.

In Hero System, Gravitar has two levels of force field: a basic shield, and a second shield that makes her even harder to hurt at the cost of endurance. I gave part of her force field the Fades flaw in M&M, so when she cranks it up to full, she's almost indestructible for a little while, but wears down quickly. I think this fits the way she's described in the lore: she's never been flat-out beaten, but enough heroes ganging up on her make her run away. Her Gravity Field power is separate from her main array, so she can potentially fight a lot of people at once. A few rounds into a fight, she can have one group of enemies pinned to the ground, another trapped behind a wall of force, another enemy immobilized with Gravitic Drag, and still blast away at whoever manages to get past all that. She's got more points in powers than a starting character gets in total. My advice to anyone planning to fight her is to bring a few flying bricks who are strong enough that she can't just pin them in place.

Speaking of which, in the Freedom City world, I imagine she'd become a regular rogue for Centuria, just because she'd want to make it perfectly clear to the world which one of them was really the most powerful woman on earth. With Daedalus' expertise in gravitic technology, anyone worried about a Gravitar attack would probably do well to consult with him, too.

Note on Limited Direction: Gravitar's Blast III and Pulse move things away from her. Her Gravity Field moves things up or down.

You may ask, what if Gravitar uses her Enhanced Gravitic Manipulation and her Strengthening/Reversal Field on the same target? Well, uh... if they combine for a total Move Object of 32, she can toss one million tons around. I'm not positive that's the case, but if it is, she should really go on a Carmen Sandiego-esque crime spree where she steals landmarks and sites of historic value.
scc

Re: Builds on the Sun (Gravitar)

Post by scc »

Nice Gravitar build. I built her some time ago. I didn't know much about her before that but I ended up really liking the character.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Don't feel guilty you took a woman who in canon took Eurostar one of the most powerful, dangerous and coordinated Super Villain groups apart with little more effort then it takes to wash ones hands, and she did it as an exercise in strength not any actual ill intent, and got her in less then 300.

Inly thing I might change is her move object its only 7 ranks this is a woman whose supposed to be the Graviton of the world shes about lifiting skyscrapers into orbit that sort of thing.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Davies

Post by Davies »

catsi563 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:21 pm Inly thing I might change is her move object its only 7 ranks this is a woman whose supposed to be the Graviton of the world shes about lifiting skyscrapers into orbit that sort of thing.
Note the first slot of her array. :)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

oops missed that I withdraw my objection your honor. :D
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I've actually done some work on statting out Eurostar to go along with Gravitar, but... well, it's kind of a funny thing.

The first rule I have for converting powers is that every three damage classes in HERO come out to two ranks in Mutants and Masterminds. This puts a .45 ACP or 9mm at Ranged Damage 3, a .50 BMG at Ranged Damage 6, Dr. Destroyer's "I'm the most powerful villain in the world and my glove is the most dangerous weapon on earth" destroyer-beam at Ranged Damage 20, and a modern tank gun at... uh... Ranged Damage 16.

Hero System gets really, really generous with higher calibers.

Eurostar is averaging at Power Level 9, though, and I'm not sure if I like that or not. On the one hand, it fits how easily they were punked by Gravitar. On the other hand, they're supposed to be one of the most frightening and deadly teams in the world. On the other hand, terrorists aren't really dangerous because of their ability to take on other combatants in a stand-up fight. And that's three hands already!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, it's hard to really "figure" tanks properly. In comics they're always jobbers, because the heroes dodge the first shot, then run up and mess up the cannon part (because tanks can't fire ahead of their main gun). And the only heroes who ever get hit with the main gun are the ones who can take the shot (Hulk) without flinching overly much.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Tanks, like giants, are hampered in superhero comics by the need to keep the superhero recognizable in the same panel as the tank--and that means putting the tank way closer to a terrifyingly fast-moving target with attacks that can penetrate its armor than the tank would ever want to be. I am no great tactical thinker, but I'm fairly sure a tank crew would want to be half a mile away from the X-Men, the Avengers, or the Justice League, at minimum: if you are in a tank and you can make out the details of your opponent's colorful and highly distinctive costume, you have probably already lost.

Not that you can't design tanks specifically to fight at close range or against superheroes, of course. Which brings me conveniently to...
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

CERBERUS TANK, 113 ep

Size:
Huge Strength: 10 Speed: 3 [Defense:[/b] 6 Toughness: 12 Powers: 3x flame turrets (Line Area 2 Damage 8, AE: Ranged Multiattack Damage 6), bow machine gun (Ranged Multiattack Damage 6), Impervious Toughness 10 (2 ranks Limited to half effect), Feature: radio

Suggested gunner attack bonuses: +4

Suggested driver vehicle bonus: +1

The Cerberus tank is something for a game I (very unreliably) run, an infamous terror weapon employed by a theocratic empire that might be its world's only conventional superpower. It has three turrets with flame projectors, styled to look like the head of a snarling dog: one each in sponsons on the left and right, and one on top of the tank with 360 degree rotation. Because of their positioning, all three flame projectors can't be trained on the same target at once, but in ideal conditions, the top turret, one of the sponson turrets, and the bow machine gun can all gang up on a single enemy to devastating effect.

In a long distance tank battle, Cerberus tanks aren't very effective: they're big and heavily armored, but long range anti-tank guns can still pick them apart at a comfortable distance. They're most useful for burning out fortifications, wiping out infantry, and breaking the enemy's will to fight.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Picture from grinninapple.deviantart.com.

CATERAN, Power Level 10

Strength 7, Stamina 7, Dexterity 4, Agility 4, Fighting 10, Intellect 4, Awareness 2, Presence 4
* 84 points

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Animal Empathy, Benefit 4 (light sleeper, millionaire), Choke Hold, Connected, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Equipment 1, Great Endurance, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Languages 4 (Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish; Gaelic is native), Precise Attack (close attacks, concealment), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Uncanny Dodge * 26 points

Equipment:
Claymore (Strength-based Damage 3, Improved Critical)

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+11), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+12), Deception 6 (+10), Expertise: High Culture 2 (+6), Expertise: History 3 (+7), Expertise: Weaponsmith 2 (+6), Expertise: World Traveler 3 (+7), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion 4 (+8), Stealth 2 (+6), Vehicles 2 (+6) * 17 points

Powers:
Enhanced Strength 2, Limited to lifting (12 tons) * 2 points

Immunity 1 (Aging) * 1 point

Impervious Toughness 3 * 3 points

Leaping 3, 2 Alternate Effects * 5 points
Speed 3
Swimming 3

Regeneration 4 * 4 points

Offense:
Iniative +4
Unarmed +12 (Close Damage 7)
Claymore +10 (Close Damage 10)

Defense:
Dodge +9, Parry +11, Toughness +7, Fortitude +10, Will +10 * 17 points

Complications:
Honorable - Cateran doesn't fight or hurt people unneccessarily, only uses surprise attacks as a last resort, and keeps her word when she gives it.
Prejudice - Mutant.
Secret Identity - Heather McGowrie.

Total: Abilities 84 + Advantages 26 + Skills 17 + Powers 15 + Defenses 17 = 159 points

This isn't who I was planning to stat out next. But then one of the Scotsman's daughters from Samurai Jack showed up in Jab's thread, along with a perfect piece of fanart, and I remembered: "Oh yeah, Cateran." So! A couple editions ago, somebody working on new supervillains at Hero Games got the bright idea to make one who was Selina Kyle, Caitlin Fairchild, and Duncan MacLeod at the same time. I like to think that person got a promotion.

Heather McGowrie was born in the mid seventeenth century and grew up to be six foot four, even stronger than she looked, and immortal. She's spent most of her time since then traveling the world and looking for adventure, and by the lore she's currently on the west coast of the United States. She calls herself "Cateran" when making trouble now, because noms de guerre are back in style. She's a supervillain of the quasi-principled sort: she doesn't want to hurt anybody, and usually doesn't even use her sword in combat, but her lifestyle requires money, and when she's running low, she goes out and gets more money. Sometimes people in funny costumes try to stop her from getting more money, but that just makes life more interesting! She'd probably wind up in Emerald City, in the Freedom City Universe. Maybe she ran into Daedalus, Medea, or Taurus a couple times over the years.
Davies

Re: Builds on the Sun (Cateran)

Post by Davies »

The someone in question was Steve Long, who created Cateran for Champions: The New Millennium and imported her into the fifth edition Champsverse because he also wrote most of it. ;)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Well, hey, that's about as much of a promotion as you can get! Good for you, Steve Long. Although I still think you go overboard on damage for conventional weapons.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I want to raise half-immortal babies with the lovely, muscular Cateran. I love her deeply, even though we've never met :).
Well, hey, that's about as much of a promotion as you can get! Good for you, Steve Long. Although I still think you go overboard on damage for conventional weapons.
I notice the books are iffy on that. Guns tend to do either too little (+3) or too much (+7-ish). Tanks seem a BIT too powerful (+12), considering they're always Jobbers in the comics. I mean, when was the last time a tank actually hurt a superhero? They usually miss weaker guys (that's one bad Area Attack) or fail to hurt tough guys (so +13 Toughness guys can easily shrug them off).