Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Jab’s Builds (Tatterdemalion! Dansen Macabre! Runaways!)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

The Wilders got an interesting twist in the TV show in that they were revealed to be federal agents undercover to take down The Pride, and their crime empire involving more local politics. In general, because they spent the entire first season with the kids but having run away yet, there was a lot more fleshing out of the characters.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidney369 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:14 am Old Lace has been established to have human level intelligence, due to genetic engineering. She is indeed a clever girl
Oh really? When was that revealed? I don’t see it in her bio.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

Which bio? The official one in the Marvel Pets Handbook lists her intelligence as "2", which is average human intelligence.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:49 am The Wilders got an interesting twist in the TV show in that they were revealed to be federal agents undercover to take down The Pride, and their crime empire involving more local politics. In general, because they spent the entire first season with the kids but having run away yet, there was a lot more fleshing out of the characters.
And... after reading the material online, I'm starting to wonder if I misremembered the agent storyline. Still, the show made the adults a bit more grey in their motivations rather than making them nihilistic villains out to get all they can.
Jabroniville

Dale & Stacey Yorkes

Post by Jabroniville »

DALE YORKES
Created By:
Brian K. Vaughan & Adrian Alphona
First Appearance: The Runaways #1 (July 2003)
Role: Time Traveller
Group Affiliations: The Pride
PL 8 (81)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (History) 8 (+11)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Technology 6 (+9)

Advantages:
Benefit 3 (Wealth & Status), Inventor, Ranged Attack 3, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Time-Travelling Gadgeteers"

"Gloves" (Flaws: Removable) [20]
"Restraining Shield" Snare 8 (24) -- (25 points)
  • AE: Fire Blast 8 (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Fire Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Snare +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Greed & Power)- The Yorkeses are willing to sacrifice anything for power. They own several kingdoms throughout time.
Relationship (Gertrude Yorke- Daughter)- The Yorkeses tend to look down on their cynical, sarcastic daughter. They also once killed her pet pig.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 6 (81)

---

STACEY YORKES
Created By:
Role: Time Traveller
PL 8 (81)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (History) 8 (+11)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Technology 6 (+9)

Advantages:
Benefit 3 (Wealth & Status), Inventor, Ranged Attack 3, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Time-Travelling Gadgeteers"

"Gloves" (Flaws: Removable) [20]
"Restraining Shield" Snare 8 (24) -- (25 points)
  • AE: Fire Blast 8 (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Fire Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Snare +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Greed & Power)- The Yorkes are willing to sacrifice anything for power. They own several kingdoms throughout time.
Relationship (Gertrude Yorke- Daughter)- The Yorkes tend to look down on their cynical, sarcastic daughter. They also once killed her pet pig.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 6 (81)

-A pair of Time Travellers posing as antique dealers, the Dale & Stacey Yorkes specialize in gadgetry and Super-Science. Acting as if they have a working knowledge of the future, they also speak in more old-timey ways than the others, while dressing as Steampunk Dorks. Because of their self-righteousness and obnoxious personalities, Gert has a strong dislike of her parents... but since she hates EVERYBODY, that's not saying much. They are slain alongside the other Pride members, but reappear in a story set in 1907- the Runaways meet the Yorkes while both are time-travelling. Unable to mind-wipe them after stopping them, Nico Minoru instead casts a spell that will leave them with the full knowledge of what they've learned of their future (both they and their daughter will die), but render them unable to talk, act or do ANYTHING about it in any way- a rather torturous existence awaits them.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidney369 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:04 am Which bio? The official one in the Marvel Pets Handbook lists her intelligence as "2", which is average human intelligence.
I usually go with Wikipedia- I don't put much stock in the ratings on Handbooks, especially when I've read the books.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidious wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:57 pm I read Runaways and had an interesting observation....

The older I get, the more I root for the psycho killer decapitating teenagers.

This book brought a lot of that to the surface.
This can be both a good or a bad thing, but I think the show making them protagonists and everyone else the bad guys... made it a bad thing.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:55 am
Sidious wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:57 pm I read Runaways and had an interesting observation....

The older I get, the more I root for the psycho killer decapitating teenagers.

This book brought a lot of that to the surface.
This can be both a good or a bad thing, but I think the show making them protagonists and everyone else the bad guys... made it a bad thing.
Or...

I'm turning into a grouchy old man.
I'm gonna go yell at a cloud....
Jabroniville

Chase Stein

Post by Jabroniville »

Mr. Stein: You think straight C's are funny Chase? You're becoming a dumb jock. Is that what you want to be, a cliché?
Chase: Well, you're a nerd who punches like a girl, isn't that a cliché?"

CHASE STEIN (aka Talkback)
Created By:
Role: Team Jock, The Bad Boy, The Wild Card
Horrible Fate I Wish Upon This Character: Doomed to have Peter Parker's bad luck with storylines, but without his teflon-like ability to survive them intact.
Group Affiliations: The Runaways
PL 9 (81)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 1 (+5)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Perception 2 (+2)
Technology 2 (+2)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 12 (Switchblade, The Leapfrog), Fast Grab, Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
Senses 1 (Communication Link- Old Lace) [1]

Equipment:
"The Leapfrog"
(Size: Gargantuan, Leaping 6, Defense 8)
(Remote Control, "Cloaking Device" Concealment 4, Advantages: Languages 2, Lasers 10, AE: "Stun Lasers" Affliction 10 (Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated)
-- (55 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Knife +7 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (The Runaways)- Chase is a bit "outside" from the others, especially following Gert's death. He sees Molly like a little sister.
Relationship (Gertrude Yorkes)- Chase eventually fell for the sarcastic, snide Gert.
Vulnerable (Mental Link With Old Lace)- Chase feels Old Lace's pain- if the dinosaur is injured, then he is Stunned, if not Incapacitated.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 9 (81)

-Chase Stein is that ever-ancient of archetypes, The Team Jock. However, in a testament to Vaughan's skill as a writer, and his instincts, they quickly go a different way with it. Chase is an abused kid, like many Jock characters are, but instead of it being a strict pro-sports father, his father is a SCIENTIST, who resents having a "Dumb Jock" for a son. He's the eldest of the Runaways, but rather immature and thick-headed, often making borderline "Big Moose" comments. However, he sticks by his teammates, and despite a lack of powers, is consistently-useful. He grabs his parents' "Fistigons" early-on, then steals their "Leapfrog" vehicle as the team's transport. His more street-smart capabilities become effective as well.

-Chase hooks up with the pudgy, sarcastic, Jock-hating Gert, in a natural "opposites attract" kind of thing, and is heartbroken by her death. He briefly considers sacrificing his life to bring her back, but is given advice not to. Much later on, he and Nico are chosen for Arcade's Battle Royale knock-off island plot, at which point he gains access to Chris Powell's "Darkhawk Amulet", transforming into the superpowered character himself. He goes nuts thanks to fellow captive Apex's mind control and nearly kills several people (Nico resurrects herself after dying)- he eventually recovers control. He's one of the survivors who becomes famous to the general public after Avengers Arena ends, but becomes a bit self-obsessed as a result. Gert is finally resurrected in the new Runaways book, but Chase is now too old for her, and so they don't get back together.

-Chase undergoes the most changes in terms of his "use" to the team. Early on, he wields the Fistigons & X-Ray Goggles. When those are broken (Alex takes them from an injured Chase to "help the team", but actually betrays them; Nico destroys them using The Staff of One), he pilots the Leapfrog. At another point, he wielded Fistigons that shot standard Lightning & Fire Blasts, and a later Leapfrog design can fly. This means that Chase's Power Level can vary a great deal.

"X-Ray Goggles" (Flaws: Easily-Removable) [5]
Senses 7 (Extended Vision 3, Vision Penetrates Concealment) (7 points)

"The Fistigons" (Flaws: Removable) [16]
"Flamethrower" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (18) -- (19 points)
  • AE: Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Split) (5)
Skavenger

Re: Jab’s Builds (Runaways!- Alex! Gertrude! Old Lace!)

Post by Skavenger »

As someone who read the original Runaways run up to the point Karla joined, then kept up with the rip-off of Battle Royale that ruined a ton of characters, and the Avengers Underground that made some a bit better and others worse, I have very mixed feelings regarding the Runaways.

On the one hand, I love, love, looooooooove teen characters whose parents were villains and they refuse to follow in their footsteps. Spoiler's one of my favorite Bat-book characters, and when this came out I was all in. And at first, it was good.

And then...it dragged. It dragged on sooooo looooooong for the first major arc, where most of the storylines were "the group hides, the group is almost found out, the group hides again and then talks about what they should do." There's a few things that became memes that I loved at the time, Molly freaking the hell out and punching Wolverine out of a church when he pops his claws (because let's face it, that WOULD be terrifying) still makes me laugh to this day, but when that initially happened, it wasn't overplayed. When she punched the Punisher in the crotch, it was still amusing, but not as.

I think there's still a gold nugget buried under all that trash, but it's become so convoluted and has the same problem that the X-Books have. In order for there to be any drama, they can't just deal with their social issues. Otherwise they're just "another group of kids who will probably get killed off in a bus explosion by a writer trying to make people take them seriously."

However, thinking about it, I can't really blame them for being suspicious of all adult superheroes. Since the first book came out, Captain America was revealed to be working for Hydra, the X-Men became terrorists hanging with Magneto and then later almost blew up the world with the Phoenix force, Hank Pym (who actually respected them) was taken over by Ultron and died, a ton of superheroes were revealed to be skrulls, Iron Man fought Cap and arrested him, indirectly causing his death, Captain Marvel and Iron Man fought and Carol caused HIS death...

It'd be one thing if this was Heroes Return Avengers where they were still acting like heroes, or the 90s X-Men when you could still tell who was good and who was evil based on, y'know, moral judgments. Considering so many young people these days are facing the issues previous generations have caused (financial crisis, global warming, world tensions, racial strife), I can get why a comic book would ramp it up to 11 and have these teens go "uh-uh, no way, any time an adult gets involved, things go poorly."
Jabroniville

Victor & Janet Stein

Post by Jabroniville »

VICTOR STEIN
Created By:
Role: Inventor, Abusive Parent
PL 4 (80), PL 6 (80) Super-Scientist
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 7 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+15)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Technology 9 (+16)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Benefit 3 (Wealth & Status), Inventor, Ranged Attack 4

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed & Power)- The Steins are willing to sacrifice anything for power.
Relationship (Chase Stein- Son)- The Steins seem willing to sacrifice their lives to allow Chase to survive; however, Victor is a violent abuser, who's been beating his son for years, while Janet simply turns on the radio to drown out the sounds.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (80)

---

JANET STEIN
Created By:
Role: Inventor, Abusive Parent
PL 4 (78), PL 6 (78) Super-Scientist
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 7 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+15)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Technology 9 (+16)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Benefit 3 (Wealth & Status), Inventor, Ranged Attack 4

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed & Power)- The Steins are willing to sacrifice anything for power.
Relationship (Chase Stein- Son)- The Steins seem willing to sacrifice their lives to allow Chase to survive; however, Victor is a violent abuser, who's been beating his son for years, while Janet simply turns on the radio to drown out the sounds.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (78)

-The Steins are "famous" inventors who've impressed people like Tony Stark (naturally, this is typical lazy background writing meant to "put over" how good one's new characters are at something- it's like when Gail Simone introduced Ragdoll's sister in Secret Six and spent page after page of characters talking about how frightening and bad-ass she was). As part of the Pride, they fund the group through counterfeiting and inventions based around what people believe are "necessities". Victor is shown as the most-abusive of all the parents, punching his son Chase IN THE FACE for getting C's in school, while his wife only slightly-chides their son. Naturally, like many abusive parents, Victor insists that he DOES love his son. Both are killed during the Gibborim's assualt following the destruction of the innocent soul.

-Super-Geniuses, the Steins invented a lot of the stuff the Runaways used in the first volume, and even later on- The Fistigons, the Leapfrog vehicle/Mecha, and more. They even created the vessel that contains the souls of the Pride's sacrifices.
brothersale

Post by brothersale »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:21 am
Sidney369 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:58 pm
Also, the new series revealed that Molly and her parents were genetically altered by Molly's maternal grandmother and were not mutants. This was probably done to match the series up with the Hulu product and part of Disney's effort to annihilate the X-Men in the Marvel Universe due to Fox having the rights at the time. That has been ignored since then as Now Disney has the rights back, and Molly was confirmed to be a mutant in one of the final storylines involving Wolverine and Pixie (who didn't drag her to Mutants Above All Island like they would have done if it had of been a X-Men title).
Oh, that's funny. I forget if Wikipedia had gotten that far so I'll have to update my bio if not.
Actually its a bit more than that, she always was a mutant as her X-gene was genuine mutation from that of her parents. Molly's mother and father also technically were mutants as well, but their x-gene was artificially created by Molly's grandmother making them something akin to Mister Sinister or the Genoshan Mutates and both the mutates and Sinister are consider to be mutants just artifical ones
Jabroniville

Molly Hayes

Post by Jabroniville »

MOLLY HAYES (aka Princess Powerful, Bruiser)
Created By:
Role: The Morality Pet/Ingenue
Horrible Fate I Wish Upon This Character: Doomed to become a female supporting character in Daredevil's book.
Group Affiliations: The Runaways
PL 10 (108)
STRENGTH
-2/13 STAMINA 13 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+3)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Punch) 2, Power Attack

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Super-Strength"
Enhanced Strength 15 [30]
"Knocked Down The Block" Features 2: Unarmed Damage Knocks Back Opponents Twice As Far As Normal [2]
Impervious Toughness 9 (Feats: Subtle) [10]

"But She's Only a Little Girl!" Affliction 8 (Will; Vulnerable/Defenseless) (Extras: Reaction +3, Perception-Ranged +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Limited to Those Who Don't Know Her, Limited to Molly's Attacks, Unreliable- Works Only Once) [16]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Super-Strong +6 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +13, Fortitude +13, Will +5

Complications:
Weakness (Narcoleptic)- Molly quickly-tires if using her powers for too long- this KO'd her after one punch initially, but now she can go for several rounds without dropping. Extra caffeine can keep her awake longer.
Relationship (The Others)- Molly looks up to her teammates as siblings (especially Chase, who pals around with her).
Responsibility (Little Girl)- Molly is very young, and as a result lacks maturity, and cannot be taken seriously by most adults. She's also the first member of the team to mourn the loss of their old life.
Relationship (Wolverine)- Molly had a crush on Wolverine when she was younger, but this ended when the Avengers tried to take the kids away- she punched him out of a building. However, they did have a "team up" later, when one of her parents' old enemies came for revenge.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 58 / Defenses: 11 (108)

-Molly Hayes became a meme pretty damn fast, but with not quite as much Street Cred as, say, Squirrel Girl. She most-often exists as a Joke Character of sorts- a tiny little girl who punches people down the block with incredible Super-Human strength, while proclaiming herself "Princess Powerful!" and generally acting as immature as humanly-possible. However, she also exists as the team's "Morality Pet"- a scared, sad, worried innocent that sort of reflects the seriousness of their position- while the other kids snark and act confused or angry, Molly's the only one seen CRYING because she misses her parents, realizes the dangers of the super-hero lifestyle (she was initially all "YAY FIGHTING & CODENAMES!") and the way things used to be. That said, she typically gets the least-focus of the team, often being away from the main battles or most-serious moments.

-Molly has shown up in a few other books, mainly in one "Future X-Men come back in time and start stuff" storyline in the Bendis X-Books- here, she appears as a smoking-hot amazon who's like eight feet tall (SWOONZ) and packs Thundra's build. This puts me in the odd position of having to describe MOLLY HAYES as "smoking hot", which is the only downside. And oddly, despite getting fairly-little panel-time compared to the others, young Molly is probably the most-iconic Runaway by far. This is probably helped by scenes like her punching Wolverine all the way out of a church and one-shotting the Punisher.

-Various instances challenge Molly's innocense- the death of Gert, the revelation that her parents have killed and tortured people (Wolverine attempts to console her, saying that at least her parents must have truly loved Molly "to raise a kid as good as you"), and more. She largely disappears after Runaways is cancelled, only making cameo appearances, but turns up in the modern book, having been raised by her grandmother in the interim. Realizing her grandma is "evil", if not to the extent of her parents (she was a geneticist who used her research to give Molly's parents powers, then ensured Molly got the same ones, which begs the question as to whether or not they are really mutants), she happily went off with the kids once more. Though I guess they teased "Not Mutant" to play up the Runaways TV show (which obviously had no Marvel Universe links), but have since revealed "NOPE- Mutant".

-Molly's entire schtick is to appear like a harmless little girl, walk close to a super-character, then WHAMMO!- knock them for half a mile. She does this to Mrs. Dean (when the Pride attacks the kids), Wolverine, The Punisher, and Excavator, proving herself to be the team's heaviest-hitter. This goes beyond just "Subtle"- most characters don't even make a rudimentary attempt to defend themselves, simply allowing her to punch them because hey- she's a little kid. What's she gonna do? To stat this out, I stuck a nasty Affliction onto her builds- first-time foes will let their guard down (going Defenseless) as soon as they see her fighting them (Perception-Ranged, Reaction- no action required on her part). This allows her a MONSTROUS advantage, especially if she Power Attacks- her trademark is basically one-punching people.

-The Flaws, however, are numerous- it'll only work one time (she usually just needs the one, however), enemies who KNOW her will be unaffected, the Affliction only works for MOLLY's attacks and not her teammates', and it only goes to the 2nd Degree. She also tires quickly. But hey- she's a PL 9.5 character on a team of largely Civilian-Level fighters... Molly's a bad-ass.
catsi563

Re: Jab’s Builds (Alex! Gertrude! Old Lace! Chase Stein! Molly!)

Post by catsi563 »

A DC 32 power attack right off the bat thats basically guaranteed to hit and with a chance to go to DC 37 OWWWWWWW

think ive got maybe 3 characters total that would be able to eat that without damage or at least close to it
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Alex! Gertrude! Old Lace! Chase Stein! Molly!)

Post by Ares »

It'd be funny if someone like the Marvel Family were immune to said affliction because they know from experience to never underestimate little kids.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.