Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Riri Williams! Death Squad! Bucky O’Hare!)

Post by Ares »

I think Blinky was also the ship chaplain and religious expert. No kidding, I want to say it was some flavor of Buddhism.

EDIT

Nope, turns out it was actually some flavor of Taoism. From TV Tropes:

Religious Robot: A.F.C. Blinky clearly believes in the religion that is practiced by the Righteous Indignation's crew, which appears to be an alternate universe version of Taoism (Blinky directly mentions "Sacred Tao"). He has also been programmed to respect the Chain Of Command more than his religion, which may be a deliberate failsafe system.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Regarding the toys, I almost feel like there should be some kind of incentive to buy the faceless mooks of the franchise. Like, almost nobody wants to buy a dozen Cobra Vipers just to simulate the kind of baddies the heroes usually fight. So maybe something where you sell the mooks in packs of 5 or 10, but at a cheaper price than if you'd buy 10 of them, and maybe include one elite baddie with them. That way you might actually sell more of the faceless minions than if you sold them separately.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Willy DuWitt

Post by Jabroniville »

WILLY DuWITT
Created By:
Larry Hama & Michael Golden
First Appearance: Echo of Futurepast #1 (May 1984)
Role: The Token Human
Group Affiliations: The United Animals Federation, The Righteous Indignation
PL 7 (86)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+5)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+12)
Perception 2 (+3)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Stealth 3 (+6)
Technology 6 (+12)
Vehicles 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Water Gun, Suit +2), Improved Defenses, Improved Smash, Inventor, Ranged Attack 5, Set-Up, Teamwork

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +1 (+3 Suit), Fortitude +3, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Not Of This World)- Willy hails from Earth, and not the world of these anthropomorphic animals.
Secret (Human)- Willy is kept a secret from the Toads- hence his uniform and mask.
Responsibility (The United Animals Federation)- Willy defends the UAF along with his new friends.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 15 (86)

-Willy DuWitt was probably meant as a "grounding" element to Bucky O'Hare, as well as a person who could ask questions and have the rules of the book's universe explained to them. In the comic, he was a Teen Genius who built a matter transporter in his room, arriving in the anthro-universe- however, he became permanently stranded when his parents turned it off, not knowing what it was. In the cartoon, he could move between Earth and the "Aniverse" at will, probably to be less distressing to children watching. He is made the engineer of The Righteous Indignation, replacing the dead Bruce. He used a non-lethal weapon- a "squirt gun" that could mess up Toad technology, and dressed in a space suit that resembled the Berserker Baboons somewhat.

-Willy is a genius and the ship's engineer, but only sports a "Water Gun" as an offensive weapon- this can mess up some machinery (it's more of a super-soaker than a real Device, as really, getting wet is a Complication shared by most tech of a certain level). Despite being a preteen or something (he has a GIANT head and squat body, with a female friend of similar stature and the "Class Pretty Girl" being noticeably taller), he can KO a single Toad with one punch. Four easily overpower him, though.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Whiplash! Masters of Silence! Ironheart- Riri Williams!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidney369 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:02 am I've always thought the original Firebrand should have been used more, as a fight-the-Man type against the tool of the Man. He could have been teamed the Ghost, Angar the Screamer, maybe Coat of Arms. Alas, he was killed after a handful of appearances, and the successors to the name are more focused on being pyromaniacs than activists.
Yeah, they offed him with a bunch of joke villains which was kind of a waste of a distinctive costume and concept. Then of course there've been at least two others after that, meaning the gimmick had legs, but now it's on forgotten guys seen as interchangeable.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:22 am Regarding the toys, I almost feel like there should be some kind of incentive to buy the faceless mooks of the franchise. Like, almost nobody wants to buy a dozen Cobra Vipers just to simulate the kind of baddies the heroes usually fight. So maybe something where you sell the mooks in packs of 5 or 10, but at a cheaper price than if you'd buy 10 of them, and maybe include one elite baddie with them. That way you might actually sell more of the faceless minions than if you sold them separately.
That's always a tricky thing in toy franchises. Like at no point in my life did I want a toy of the guys who job out in every single episode. The shows almost always deliberately make the mooks look plainer than the "name" guys as well, so then you wonder "What's the point?" in owning even a single dude.

Pack-ins with vehicles should almost be the thing to do in any case, as the figure is usually a lesser deal... except even THOSE tended to advertise themselves as being the one way to get the exclusive guys, like they KNEW those expensive sets needed better advertising! With Visionaries, that was the only way to get Feryl or Reekon, for example, and those were elite-looking figures! In G.I. Joe the drivers were usually much plainer but you still had Bulldozer & stuff.
Jabroniville

First Mate Jenny

Post by Jabroniville »

FIRST MATE JENNY
Created By:
Role: Furry Fanservice, The Psychic
PL 8 (154)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Athletics 6 (+7)
Deception 5 (+8, +13 Attractive)
Expertise (Space Soldier) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+7, +12 Attractive)
Stealth 3 (+8)
Technology 4 (+6)
Vehicles 8 (+12)

Advantages:
Attractive 2, Equipment 4 (Laser Guns +5), Improved Defenses, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 5, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Psychic Alderbaran Cat Sisterhood"
"Astral Projection" Remote Senses (Vision, Hearing) 5 [15]

Healing 6 (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2) (24) -- [26]
  • AE: "Telepathy" Mind-Reading 4 Linked to Communication (Mental) 2 (16)
  • AE: Psychic Blast 8 (16)
"Clairvoyance"
Senses 1 (Danger Sense) [1]
Enhanced Advantages 3: Evasion, Improved Defenses, Uncanny Dodge [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blasters +9 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Psychic Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Secret (Psychic)- The sacred precepts of Aldebaran require that Jenny keep her psionic powers from all outsiders- even the rest of the crew. Only Willy knows her secret.
Relationship (Willy)- Jenny apparently has a crush on Willy.
Responsibility (The United Animals Federation)- Bucky is the best warrior of the UAF, devoted to stopping Toad encroachment on the rest of the universe.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 11 (154)

-Jenny is an interesting combination of traits: a female character of a high military rank (being second in command on The Righteous Indignation), one of those "Early Furry" characters with the GIGANTIC head yet fully-developed female figure (in a world where most male characters are potato-shaped abstract cartoon characters), and a Psychic character in a world based mostly around aliens with high-tech gear. The comic in particular goes WAY out of its way to show Jenny looking voluptuous, which kinda happened more back in the '80s & '90s when you just had basic Fanservice and there wasn't any stigma against furries as a thing yet (nowadays, shows would actually be AFRAID to court furries too much and tone it down if they didn't want to attract too much attention). And for some reason, she apparently has a romantic interest in the pre-teen Willy DuWitt (the FUUUUUUUU---?). This was later turned into kind of a sisterly/motherly thing when she scolds him- maybe the writers disagreed or found it weird.

-Hailing from Aldebaran (a real-life star, but made part of the "Aniverse's" setting as a planet), Jenny is part of a Sisterhood that gives her Psychic Powers, making her the most powerful member of her team! However, she keeps these powers secret from everyone owing to the rules of her organization, using them as a last-ditch sort of thing. She is the most forgiving of the crew (forgiving Willy for running in on her using her powers, and the Aldebaran Princess for nearly threatening the entire universe through misuse of her powers), and the most self-sacrificing.

-Jenny is a PL 7 Laser Blaster character and a solid #2 to Bucky in terms of Skills... but is ACTUALLY a PL 8 Blaster with the most versatile power-set of the team! Unfortunately, she can't use these powers out in the open, which is a hell of a Complication. She can at least use its defensive bonuses (Uncanny Dodge, etc., helping her avoid enemy fire when piloting or navigating their ship). Her Remote Sensing comes in handy in the final episode, when she uses her "Astral Form" to leave The Righteous Indignation into a weather converter to help Bucky recover from his injuries against KOMPLEX, saving the day (this means her Remote Sensing is not only outside the array of her Healing, but her Healing has Perception Range, as she healed Bucky while only her ASTRAL self was next to him!). She is also depicted as a flirt who uses her looks to fool enemies, earning two ranks of Attractive.
Curbludgeon

Post by Curbludgeon »

I'd never heard of that IP, but think The Righteous Indignation is a little too cool of a ship name to have been spent on it.
Jabroniville

Dead-Eye Duck

Post by Jabroniville »

DEAD-EYE DUCK (Cecil Duck)
Created By:
Role: The Han Solo, Ex-Pirate
PL 9 (116)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Deception 7 (+8)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Expertise (Space Soldier) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Pirate) 8 (+9)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+6)
Technology 3 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Equipment 6 (Laser Guns +5), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Blasters), Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 7

Powers:
"Kanopian Physiology"
Extra Limbs 2 [2]
Blast +0 (Feats: Variable- Any Weapon) (Extras: Multiattack 6) (Flaws: Source- Firearms) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blasters +13 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (The Toad Empire)- Dead-Eye gave up piracy to fight the Toads.
Responsibility (The United Animals Federation)- Bucky is the best warrior of the UAF, devoted to stopping Toad encroachment on the rest of the universe.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 12 (116)

-Dead-Eye Duck has maybe the most awesome name in all of cartoons, and an AMAZING concept- a four-armed ex-pirate who fires guns from all four of his hands simultaneously. With a Southern accent (Scottish in the original comic), he commanded the guns of The Righteous Indignation. He is the most irascible of the team, being volatile, cantankerous and violence- the most bloodthirsty of the team, he wishes to vaporize any Toad ship he sees, and doesn't care about repurcussions, enjoying the violence. It's revealed that he was one of the Corsair Canards, a pirate group that Bucky recruits into the fight against the Toads- despite being criminals, they have a "No First Violence" policy, refusing to strike first unless their prey fires on them beforehand. This small bit of honor made Bucky consider them. Dead-Eye himself is the most morally ambiguous of the crew, as his past implies, but he's a loyal agent, follows order to the letter, and also refuses to betray his former allies in the Canards.

-Dead-Eye Duck presents an interesting challenge- it's Bucky's show and he's generally the most competent character, but Dead-Eye himself explicitly has the best aim (I mean, it's IN HIS NAME) and uses similar weapons. So Dead-Eye is likely a higher offensive PL than his boss. However, he has fewer people skills and is less capable defensively, meaning he'll likely be taken out of the fight more quickly if push comes to shove. So he's PL 9, but 20 points cheaper than Bucky himself.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Bucky O’Hare! Blinky! Jenny! Dead-Eye Duck!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Any character voiced by Scott McNeil gets additional awesome points. And that's for a character that's already a four-armed pirate duck with a cool name.
Davies

Post by Davies »

I suspect that the four arms was an attempt to prevent what happened with other duck characters (getting sued by Disney) that people had come up with in the past.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:46 pm I suspect that the four arms was an attempt to prevent what happened with other duck characters (getting sued by Disney) that people had come up with in the past.
Hm- Hama would 100% have remembered what happened with Howard the Duck, too.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Davies wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:46 pm I suspect that the four arms was an attempt to prevent what happened with other duck characters (getting sued by Disney) that people had come up with in the past.
Also probably why he turned Southern in the animated adaptation. Scrooge McDuck is Scottish.
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
Jabroniville

Bruiser the Betelgeusian Berserker Baboon

Post by Jabroniville »

BRUISER
Created By:
Larry Hama
First Appearance: Bucky O'Hare (Episode 1, 1991)
Role: The Big Guy, Berserker Ape
PL 8 (97)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+9)
Deception 2 (+3)
Intimidation 9 (+10)
Expertise (Space Soldier) 5 (+5)
Perception 2 (+2)
Technology 1 (+1)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Close Attack 2, Equipment 4 (Laser Guns +5), Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Smash, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Startle, Takedown 2

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Blasters +6 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Enemy (The Toad Empire)- Dead-Eye gave up piracy to fight the Toads.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 13 (97)

-Like you had to ask which character was Young Jab's favorite. Bruiser is a Betelgeusian Berserker Baboon (looking more like a maroon gorilla)- a race that instills pathological fear in the Toads owing to their ferocious personalities and great size. Bruiser is a cartoon-only character, and replaces his brother Bruce, who is exiled in the first episdoe of Bucky O'Hare- in the comic, Bruce is killed, but in the 'toon, he is given a less-PG ending and returns before being exiled again. While Bruce was the ship's engineer, Bruiser is just an ass-kicker, screaming his race's distinctive "AAAAAAA-YOOOOOOOOGAAAAAAA!" cry (which as a kid I'd always heard as "AH-OOOOOGAAHHHHH!") and mowing down Toads in melee. He was likely invented for the show to sell the more badass-looking toy, which towered over the other figures (in the 'toon, he's often only a BIT bigger than the rest).

-Bruiser is a very different sort of build from the rest of his allies, having none of their craftiness, smarts, or acrobatics. Instead, he's a super-strong, all-out warrior who charges into melee and croaks toads with his bare hands. Scary, grapple-heavy and physically durable, he hits PL 8 offensively and PL 7 defensively, but keyed towards toughness over defenses.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidney369 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:46 am I have the Blinky action figure.
What's funny is he was the very last one I got- I couldn't find him on eBay for a good price, despite having all the other figures, and when I was finally about to bite the bullet because of this set... I saw him at the local Antique Mall, and for only $3.00!!
Jabroniville

Storm Toads

Post by Jabroniville »

STORM TOADS
Created By:
Role: Mooks
Group Affiliations: The Toad Empire
PL 4 (33)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+3)
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+2)
Technology 2 (+2)
Vehicles 5 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Laser Blaster +4), Ranged Attack 3

Equipment:
25 points' worth of Arsenal Equipment

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Weapons +3 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +0

Complications:
Phobia (Betelgeusian Berserker Baboons)- All Toads have a deep-seated, automatic fear of Berserker Baboons. All Toads will become terrified with fright at the sight of one, and will almost certainly flee.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (33)

-The Storm Toads aren't a bad design, as Mooks go- they're large-headed and can be used for comedy, but also fit as a somewhat-serious enemy, as they're giant amphibians with nasty faces and solid gear. A lot of action figure lines struggled with making the "Mooks" a figure kids would actually want, and I think they pulled it off here, as they certainly don't look bad. Most of the time in the show they get complete housed, however- easily beaten en masse by the heroes without some kind of special gear. Even Willy DuWitt, a small human pre-teen, has been seen one-hit-KOing them with uppercuts or just holding them down. Classic PL 4 Mooks.