Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts- A Final Summation!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Harnos

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Adventures in Dinosaur Swamp!)

Post by Harnos »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:03 am
Harnos wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:35 pm Jabroniville, this Jeff Russell guy have some more good looking stuff here. He seems to have done some work for Rifts and Lovecraftian Mythos. There are better looking fairie and thornhead too.
ah, cool! Yeah, those are all definitely improvements. I mean, most RPG art was pretty bad in the late '80s and early '90s, but Rifts STILL PUBLISHES their Main Rulebook like that. The art is almost as archaic as the rules!
Well, that sounds terrible.

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:40 am Image

GYPSY O.C.C.s (Wait, What the Fuck?)
Role:
Gypsy Thieves (OH SHIT ACTUAL CLASS NAME)
PL 4 (65)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+5)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Nomadic Traveler) 5 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Vehicles 1 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Assorted Gear), Luck

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Hatred (Honest Work)

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (65)

-Hahahaha WHAT? Unquestionably the part of this book that has aged the least well, the group that includes an honest-to-god class named "Gypsy Thief O.C.C." basically adopts the worst aspects of Gypsy stereotypes (the "Roma" people descended from India's "Untouchable" caste, who have since become a stereotyped underclass in European society), combines them with Marvel's Gambit (complete with "Cheri" instead of "Chere" because somebody probably misread something) and just says "oh but these aren't THOSE Gypsies"- these are, in fact, just people who BEHAVE like some Creole Gypsy Thief or whatever. Some aren't even human! Like, D-Bees and stuff.

-Seriously, it's paragraph after paragraph about how they lie, cheat, and steal, avoid all honest work, and laugh off anyone attempting to get them to conform. Their "caravans" are said to bring great trouble, and more. Now, I don't know ANY Europeans with a positive experience with Roma, but haha, WOW.

Gypsy O.C.C.s:
GYPSY THIEF O.C.C.- PL 4 (72): Sleight of Hand 4 (+9), Expertise (Music) 4 (+7), Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+7) [7]
-Basically, you are Gambit minus the mutant powers. It even doesn't get much of a class description.

GYPSY WIZARD THIEF O.C.C.- PL 4 (72 + Magic): Expertise (Magical Creatures) 6 (+7), Sleight of Hand 2 (+7), Expertise (Music) 2 (+5), Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+5), Line Walker Powers, Magic (Bunch of Spells) [7 + Magic]
-A less-good thief combined with a Line Walker.

GYPSY SEER O.C.C.- PL 4 (72 + Magic): Expertise (Magical Creatures) 6 (+7), Senses 2 (Detect Evil- Ranged), "Read Palms" Senses 3 (Analytical Detect Alignment- Requires Ritual), Magic (Oracle, Exorcism, See Invisible, Death Trance) [7 + Magic]
-Seers are born with the ability to detect magical beings of various types.

GYPSY- THE GIFTED O.C.C.- PL 4 (65 + Psionics): Minor to Master Psionics [Psionics]
-Psionics who roll randomly to determine how much they get- a little or quite a lot.
Wow, that is some epic level mindf**. :D It is not even a fantasy counterpart or an annoying halfling variant based on gypsies but they really blatantly and unapologetically named a class "gypsy thief". :D I wonder how a crowd with blue hair and pitchforks didn't gather over this. Or did it? :lol: I mean, even their wizards are thiefs. Fortunately they are occupational classes, not racial classes. Given the things I've seen in this thread, it is surprising they didn't put a "kidnapped kid turned into a beggar" ooc.

Oh, I laughed so loud for so long in the middle of the midnight.
Davies

Post by Davies »

It came out in 1993, a fair bit before that sort of response was frequent.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Davies wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:58 pm It came out in 1993, a fair bit before that sort of response was frequent.
Even in ‘93, this sort of thing was politically incorrect.

White Wolf published World of Darkness: Gypsies in 1994 and pulled it from shelves not too much later. They don’t even have it available as a digital-only download. The first Clanbook: Ravnos came out in ‘97 and worked hard to retcon anything that was in the earlier book. They basically Room 101’d the entire thing… and this is a company that unapologetically had a setting source book for role-playing ghosts who died during the Holocaust.

I think the reason no one gave much of a 💩 over Palladium Books is basically that most people who would have had an intensely negative reaction just plain don’t buy Palladium Books’ products and the people who do buy Palladium Books games just said “Oh, Kevin, no…” and moved on. The Palladium Books audience was just desensitized to the cringe.
Last edited by Batgirl III on Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Carnosuchid

Post by Jabroniville »

CARNOSUCHID
Role:
Extinct Crocodile-Like Monster
PL 11 (90), PL 12 on Sprint Attack
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -4

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+9)
Close Combat (Bite) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 7 (+7)
Intimidation 9 (+6 Size)
Perception 7 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 3, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent & Extended Scent 2) [4]
"Natural Weapons (Bite)" Strength-Damage +6 (Feats: Reach) [9]
"Thick Skin" Protection 2 [2]

"Water-Based Creature"
Swimming 5 (8mph) [5]
Immunity 1 (Drowning) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [0.5]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Underwater) [2]
Enhanced Skills 8: Stealth 12 (+10) (Flaws: Limited to Water) [3]

"Sprint Attack" Enhanced Fighting 3 (Flaws: Limited to First Attack) [3]

"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Bite +10 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Sprint Attack +13 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +13

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Carnosuchids cannot speak to humans, nor use their claws to easily manipulate objects.
Weakness (Cold-Blooded)- Reptiles are cold-blooded- that is, their bodies are the same temperature as the air around them. As such, they are slow & sluggish in cold temperatures, and will die quickly if left in winter-like conditions. They must warm up before they are any good.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 27--13.5 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 35.5 / Defenses: 13 (90)

-"Carnosuchids" are a name given to extinct crocodile-like aquatic reptiles on Rifts Earth I guess (that name doesn't appear in Paleontology textbooks). They are aquatic, large-headed creatures with crocodilian body plans, but large, heavy heads that make them poor ambush hunters. They are instead scavengers and "mid-level predators". They're pretty basic mid-tiers, about 140 M.D.C., and have far superior senses than most crocs would have, being blood-detecting scavengers. However, their bite force is IMMENSE- higher that most ranged weapons short of Rail Guns (top-tier in Dinosaur Swamp), and they rarely let go, having deep-set teeth that don't come out easily. They have one of those strange attacks that show up rarely in Rifts that don't translate well to M&M terms- a "Latch & Shake" thing where if they already bite you, you have to try to dodge again or take damage each round as they thrash you around- people inside power armor even take S.D.C. from this! They even get an extra attack (and bonus to hit) on the first round they sprint out!
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

Davies wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:58 pm It came out in 1993, a fair bit before that sort of response was frequent.
I get that but still it is interesting someone didn't discover it and wrote about it.

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:34 am
I think the reason no one gave much of a 💩 over Palladium Books is basically that most people who would have had an intensely negative reaction just plan don’t buy Palladium Books’ products and the people who do buy Palladium Books games just said “Oh, Kevin, no…” and moved on. Palladium Books audience was just desensitized to the cringe.
Well, that explains it enough.
Batgirl III

Re: Carnosuchid

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:48 am CARNOSUCHID
Role:
Extinct Crocodile-Like Monster

-"Carnosuchids" are a name given to extinct crocodile-like aquatic reptiles on Rifts Earth I guess (that name doesn't appear in Paleontology textbooks).
I wonder if they meant Ceratosuchus, an extinct genus related to modern alligators, but got the name wrong?

The -suchus suffix found in the names of many extinct crocodilians comes from the Ancient Greek Σοῦχος (“Soukhos”) which was their translation of the name of the crocodile-headed god Sobek of the Egyptian Pantheon. For modern scientists, –suchus basically works like -saurus. Meaning that “this thing is a dead ‘gator” instead of “this thing is a dead lizard.”

Carnis, carnī, and so forth are a all variant declensions of the Latin word for “meat” or “flesh.”

So Caronsuchus would mean, roughly, “flesh eating extinct crocodile.”

They probably went with the –id ending because they bungled the grammar even more.
Jabroniville

Devil Eel

Post by Jabroniville »

DEVIL EEL
Role:
Deadly Fish
PL 13 (106)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 14 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -4

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+3)
Expertise (Survival) 7 (+7)
Intimidation 11 (+7)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Infravision, Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Lateral Lines" Senses 1 (Ranged Touch Underwater) [1]
Regeneration 2 [2]

"Multiple Claws" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Multiattack 11) (14) -- [15]
  • AE: "Poison Bite" Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Affliction 10 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Paralyzed) (10)
"Sea Creature"
Swimming 2 (2 mph) [2]
Immunity 3 (Drowning, Visual Dazzles) [3]
Movement 2 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic, Slithering) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Bite +14 (+9 Damage & +10 Affliction, DC 24 & 20)
Claws +14 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Fish cannot speak to humans, nor use their fins to easily manipulate objects.
Phobia (Fire)- Devil Eels will not come within 15 feet of an open flame, despite their M.D.C. hides.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 6 (106)

-The Devil Eel and Devilsaurus are a pair of freaky monsters with tri-spiked tongues- these are aquatic creatures with three sets of arthropod-style sickled pincers. Though aquatic, they can easily live on land for weeks, and are frenetic, frenzied killers. This makes them dangerous PL 13 attackers (EIGHT ATTACKS!), though their toughness isn't up to snuff.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

otherwise known as dragon food
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Devilsaurus

Post by Jabroniville »

DEVILSAURUS
Role:
Mid-Sized Alien Theropod, Intelligent Predator
PL 14 (150)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 13 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+10)
Close Combat (Bite) 1 (+13)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+6)
Intimidation 13 (+12 Size)
Perception 6 (+7)
Stealth 14 (+17, +11 Size)

Advantages:
Close Attack 3, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Bite) 2, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 8 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent & Extended Scent 2, Vision Counters Concealment) [8]
"Theropod Bite/Horns" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Penetrating 5) [8]

"Dino-Sized" Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (15 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]
Impervious Toughness 5 [5]
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [3]

"Aquatic Creature"
Swimming 6 (6) -- [7]
  • AE: Speed 3 (15 mph) (3)
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Immunity 1 (Drowning) [1]

"Magic" (Cleanse, Heavy Breathing, Lantern Light, See Aura, See the Invisible, Thunderclap)

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Bite +15 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +15 (DC 25), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +13 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +13, Will +7

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Dinosaurs cannot speak to humans (though the Devilsaurus can use simple 1-2 word sentences), nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 45 + Magic / Defenses: 28 (150)

-ANOTHER large alien theropod, the Devilsaurus is drawn by the same guy as the Devil Eel and greatly resembles it, but is a three-eyed Allosaurus, more or less. It has an extending, three-pronged spiked tongue, allowing it to reel in creatures from nine feet away. And unlike dinosaurs, it is INTELLIGENT- a crafty, cunning predator engaging in "cat and mouse" games and enjoying torturing its prey- Kevin S's ideal kind of creature. It can even talk! But just a bit. They will also capture women, children and valuable technology, placing them in traps for their prey, and sabotage the weapons of humanoids, which it understands to be powerful.

-The Devilsaurus is a true nightmare creature, packing seven attacks and solid bonuses enough to make it +15 to hit. Overall, it's a PL 14 creature- far worse than any T-Rex or Allosaurus.
catsi563

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Devil Eel! Devilsaurus!)

Post by catsi563 »

otherwise known as Dragon Dinner
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Frilled Swamp Runner

Post by Jabroniville »

FRILLED SWAMP RUNNER
Role:
Small Semi-Intelligent Reptiles, Pests
PL 10 (111)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+6)
Perception 6 (+7)
Stealth 6 (+8)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Evasion, Improved Disarm, Ranged Attack 12

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [3]
"Bite" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [3]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Frilled Knife" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Ranged 7) [8]
Movement 2 (Water-Walking 2) [4]

"Magic" (Cleanse, Climb, Concealment, Death Trance, Energy Bolt, Light Healing, Manipulate Objects)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Bite +12 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Thrown Quill-Knives +12 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Swimming, Climbing)- Frilled Swamp Runners cannot climb trees nor swim.
Disabled (Semi-Mute)- Frilled Swamp Runners can only manage a few words here and there, usually in single sentences.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 22 + Magic / Defenses: 13 (115)

-Frilled Swamp Runners are sentient bipedal lizards who resemble frilled lizards (this becomes more clear when they can literally walk on water), but about three feet tall. They act as pests, eating humanoid garbage and making a huge mess while doing so, and are a threat to eat pets and livestock (and will drink milk straight from cows' udders). Despite being Mega-Damage beings, they're not a threat to people as they rarely attack unprovoked. They can talk in cutesy single phrases ("yummy", "feed me") and would make good pest control if they weren't so destructive and prone to living in family groups of 5-10.

-Despite being treated like total wimps in the bio, these things are actually very potent- low-damage but TONS of attacks (five, +3 to hit) and good defenses, meaning they're PL 9-10 creatures. They even have a variety of magic powers.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

It also takes anti-tank weaponry to injure, let alone kill, them… Which seems to be an accurate enough description of most lizards I’ve encountered in Florida.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:00 am It also takes anti-tank weaponry to injure, let alone kill, them… Which seems to be an accurate enough description of most lizards I’ve encountered in Florida.
Can confirm this as true

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Giant Hunter Turtle

Post by Jabroniville »

GIANT HUNTER TURTLE
Role:
Walking Tank
PL 14 (114)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 13 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 12 (+12 Size)
Perception 8 (+8)

Advantages:
Close Attack 1, Great Endurance, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Improved Disarm, Power Attack, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent, Extended Scent 2) [4]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Super-Armour" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 13) [15]
"Natural Weapons" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Reach, Penetrating 6) [10]
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [5]
"Prehensile Tongues" Extra Limbs 2 [2]

"Dino-Sized" Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (21 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]
Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Tail Smash +13 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +15 (+6 Impervious), Fortitude +13, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Turtles cannot speak to humans, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 24 (114)

-The book now lists three straight monstrous turtles all in a row, the first two by the same artist- it has Jeffrey Russell's classic trademarks, like circular eyes and pupils, long flaying tongues, multiple claws and hooks, etc. Numerous claws line its legs and the mouth is unnaturally large for its head shape. It's a walking tank, but is also a merciless predator and scavenger... which is funny because it has the same body plan as turtles & ankylosaurs. However, it's semi-fast, and primarily seeks out easy prey like something that was already killed, chasing off the predator who felled it. It's also developed an interest in livestock, as that's the easiest prey there is. This makes them a big nuisance to the poor people of Dinosaur Swamp.

-Another brute with a huge number of attacks, Giant Hunter Turtles can demolish nearly anything, doing as much damage as a T-Rex and having way more attacks.
Jabroniville

Giant Petal Turtle

Post by Jabroniville »

Now THAT’s a monster!

GIANT PETAL TURTLE
Role:
Walking Tank, Aquatic Predator
PL 13 (104)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 15 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 12 (+12 Size)
Perception 8 (+8)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Great Endurance, Improved Hold, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Power Attack, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Infravision, Radius Sight) [2]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Swimming 4 [4]
"Super-Armour" Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 13) [17]
"Natural Weapons" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach 2, Penetrating 6) [9]
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [5]
"Prehensile Tongues" Extra Limbs 2 [2]

"Dino-Sized" Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (21 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]
Strength-Damage +2 [2]
"Eight Stable Legs" Enhanced Strength 2 (Flaws: Limited to Resisting Movement) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Natural Weapons +10 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +19 (+6 Impervious), Fortitude +15, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Turtles cannot speak to humans, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.
Vulnerable (Belly Shots)- Shots to the belly are resisted by a mere Toughness +14.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 18 (104)

-Now this one's a unique design- Russell for once doesn't go with the same kinds of eyes and mouth and instead combines a snapping turtle with a flower, looking a bit like a bipedal Biollante from Godzilla. It has eyes on stalks and three pieces to its mouth, which sits at the end of a giant sauropod-like neck. They have a few unique traits, like floating through rivers leaving only their backs exposed as they snap up fish and other things from the riverbeds- leaving their backs to grow plants, attract animals, and more. 1 in 30 will even have things like FAIRIES living on them, and brave adventurers can ride on their backs if they've been recently fed (albeit this is still risky, though it keeps Spinosaurs and other river predators away).

-Giant Petal Turtles are among the most durable monsters on Rifts Earth, packing a horrifying Toughness +19 (1D6x1000 M.D.C.!). However, it does much less damage than the Hunter Turtle, and has two fewer attacks. It's still PL 11.5 on offense, but PL 13 on defense.